Any ideas on how to start building a private track?

YZfan1230
Looking for some tips and info on what I should go about doing to build a private track. I want it to be fairly small and more like a backyard Supercross track considering I do have some room but I don't have a wide open field or anything. Any pointers?
|
j100
6/22/2016 5:40am
buy a bulldozer and build some sweet jumps.
EEE299
6/22/2016 6:02am
Been contemplating building a track for some time. The things that are keeping me from doing it are that my land is all wooded, don't have any experience track building, and I wonder how much maintenance it will be to keep up with.
slowgti
6/22/2016 6:07am
Start with a large pile of money and change your phone number.
Jimfunn
6/22/2016 6:12am
I have a very small backyard track. It's seen a few changes over the year but we have a pretty basic AX kind of layout to make the most of the space. a few short but steep jumps (more like BMX trails). It's fun to go out and hit for a few laps and absolute death to try and ride for 15mins!

The Shop

stone881
6/22/2016 6:22am
Get a lawyer would be the first step. Jk sort of, but unless you have a large buffer of land around your track, well neighbors suck.

Otherwise, if it is going to be more an SX layout, start staking out the track so that you know where everything, jumps/turns/whoops, are going to go and you end up with consistent width.

What does your budget look like?

Do you have good soil to work with and any elevation changes?

Do you get a lot of rain where you live, where is that water going to pool up on the track and how will you avoid that?

For the jumps, do you have any fill that you can use at the base of the jumps and save the quality soil for corners?
kkawboy14
6/22/2016 6:39am
Start riding a flat track.......if you like it, add jumps
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
6/22/2016 7:04am
kkawboy14 wrote:
One of the best ways to create a track that flows, ride it flat and let the layout between the turns be a bit more organic...
One of the best ways to create a track that flows, ride it flat and let the layout between the turns be a bit more organic and then build from there.

This article should help: http://www.dirtwurx.com/track_tips.php
What they said ^^^.

Stake out a basic outline until you like the flow, then start adding jumps, rollers, etc...
JOSHJ
6/22/2016 7:15am
slowgti wrote:
Start with a large pile of money and change your phone number.
The best idea lol

Building and maintenance are going to kill your wallet. especially since your buddies will want to ride it for free, save yourself the time, money, and most of all the headache and just keep to your local track.

But if youre hell bent of doing it, rent a skid steer for a few days, buy a lazer level, buy a 75' tape, grade down your layout about 2 " or so, bring in some clay, build, and have fun. or call Jason Baker and have dream trax do it.
YZfan1230
6/22/2016 7:21am
My biggest problem with my local track is that there is only one in the area I live and its 3 hours away, which is why I would like to invest in a private track. I do live in a small wooded area with a fair amount of rainy weather and I have a piece of land outside of town that I can use! Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'd like to hear from everyone to see what they have to say!
Cygnus
6/22/2016 7:25am Edited Date/Time 6/22/2016 7:26am
It is pretty expensive to move dirt. If you have to move trees first even more so. I'd take a loud bike out there and run it up in the revs for a little while and see if anyone comes out to see what is going on.
YZfan1230
6/22/2016 7:30am
The area I have picked out is outside of town and is mostly smaller alder like trees, I have the equipment and I can get dirt. I also ride in an area near town that's like a sawdust pit and it's flat with a few little areas with elevation, but I'm worried about making a track there because it's so close to town. I have built jumps and turns there before but I've gotten a few complaints
IWreckALot
6/22/2016 8:00am
YZfan1230 wrote:
The area I have picked out is outside of town and is mostly smaller alder like trees, I have the equipment and I can get dirt...
The area I have picked out is outside of town and is mostly smaller alder like trees, I have the equipment and I can get dirt. I also ride in an area near town that's like a sawdust pit and it's flat with a few little areas with elevation, but I'm worried about making a track there because it's so close to town. I have built jumps and turns there before but I've gotten a few complaints
How is the natural dirt where you're at?
YZfan1230
6/22/2016 8:05am
It's pretty good for the most part, but it's soft. The sawdust and dirt mixture I'm planning on using does develop ruts easily
YZfan1230
6/22/2016 8:09am
I don't think building the track will be much of a problem, I think the maintenance will be the killer here. I have most of the tools I need for it i just need to go about doing it I guess!
cwtoyota
6/22/2016 8:24am
kkawboy14 wrote:
One of the best ways to create a track that flows, ride it flat and let the layout between the turns be a bit more organic...
One of the best ways to create a track that flows, ride it flat and let the layout between the turns be a bit more organic and then build from there.

This article should help: http://www.dirtwurx.com/track_tips.php
avidchimp wrote:
What they said ^^^.

Stake out a basic outline until you like the flow, then start adding jumps, rollers, etc...
Totally agree with these guys. Make the lanes/lines flow and then add in the jumps, whoops, etc.

Keep in mind the soil type and condition needs to play a part in what kinds of obstacles and corners you have.
If you don't have access to plenty of water near the track, design it so it can be ridden dry.

If you won't own equipment and will just periodically rent to make changes or groom, build big round mounds of dirt for your jumps and berms. That takes a lot more dirt, maybe twice as much. I've found that my slower friends ride up the faces of my bigger doubles in a low gear and then ride a wheelie down the backside of the take off. That's pretty much like running a ditch-witch through the jump. A larger more round jump holds up better to those guys.

Big round landings are safer if you have doubles, triples, etc.
motosmith
6/22/2016 8:36am
I have a track in my backyard. I started riding it with no jumps or berms to get it broke in. I'm glad I did because the finished product is way different than my original vision.

Do you have elevation change? If you do, use it to your advantage. Building a jump or berm takes a massive amount of dirt. If you use the natural terain to your advantage it will require a lot less earth moving.
Tracktor
6/22/2016 9:37am
Having my own and building a few others over the years there is some good advice so far. I would add unless you own your equipment and have all the time int he world to learn it is usually better to hire someone for the initial build. Even being able to operate doesn't mean you can actually build a rideable safe track. In the end it can be cheaper to pay a builder to do it right the first time..............
Gilby122
6/22/2016 10:15am
Tracktor wrote:
Having my own and building a few others over the years there is some good advice so far. I would add unless you own your equipment...
Having my own and building a few others over the years there is some good advice so far. I would add unless you own your equipment and have all the time int he world to learn it is usually better to hire someone for the initial build. Even being able to operate doesn't mean you can actually build a rideable safe track. In the end it can be cheaper to pay a builder to do it right the first time..............
Probably the right advice. I have hired a guy to build me two tracks at my last house and current house. I rented a D5 dozer for my current house track. I own a skid on tracks that I use to maintain it. It's probably close to a mile long and fairly technical. It's worth the expense to me to have it out my back door, but if you don't own your own skid, i'd guess it'd be real tough (and expensive) to keep it up.

One of the first posts that said "start with a large pile of money and change your number" is spot on! I enjoy my track... I enjoy working on my track...but it's amazing how many "friends" you'll pick up along the way that are all about rutting up your track, ditch-witching the jumps, and having a great time for hours...but never offer to pitch in for diesel or weed spray, etc. The best one is when ol' Johnny calls and asks it you wanna ride...then casually throws in "is it alright if I bring Richard and Tony" with me? At that point you're either a dick and say no (which I've done)...or you have two more people rutting up your track with no intentions of helping you make it better.

The other thing I will tell you is everyone...and I mean everyone...thinks they can run equipment. Whether that's you or not, there is an true art to building and maintaining a track. It takes waaaaaay more dirt than you could ever imagine. The distance from corners to faces...or gaps between obstacles isn't something you just wake up and do. I built the pw track for my kids and am quite good at shaping, but building from scratch is a real tough thing to do.

Lastly, we are pretty dry around here and my track only gets watered when it rains....but the weed problem is enormous!!! I go to our county weed and pest and get cost share on chemicals...and I'm here to tell you I spray (backpack sprayer, atv sprayer, etc.) almost nightly. It's a time consuming sob (doesn't help that I'm ocd and want my track looking nice as it's a part of my overall landscape) and definitely isn't cheap.

Bottom line, it's worth the time and money and effort for me to have it accessible for 20 minutes when I get home at night, or four hours on a sunday...but don't kid yourself into thinking it'll be a piece of cake and won't cost you much. All boils down to what you want it to look like, how you're going to use it, and what you have available to maintain it.

Good luck!
motomojo
6/22/2016 10:26am
Tracktor wrote:
Having my own and building a few others over the years there is some good advice so far. I would add unless you own your equipment...
Good idea...If you have the cash to spend on a Pro they are not cheap.
I built my own track a 1.2 mile national caliber track (at least have been told this by a few pros that have ridden it) took me 2 years and 5 months doing it myself with a small New Holland 40 HP tractor with a loader bucket and several 3 point hitch attachments.
When it came time to build the jumps i didn't feel comfortable that i could get them right and make them challenging, safe and fun so i hired a Pro builder to come out and build them. He did a superb job and the track flows really well and is a blast to ride. This is no place to be cheap pay what it takes to get it done right.

I have no money to spend but have time so i taught myself how to run the loader and did my best at using the natural terrain to the best advantage still made several changes to the layout to finally get what i wanted and am really happy with the whole project.
I have some videos of the construction from early on to now at
https://vimeo.com/channels/1058204

Next thing is who do you let ride if anyone...You will get many responses to this however i suggest staying out of the legal system entirely. Use your States Recreational Use Statute to protect you from the legal system unless you are starting a business.to make money.
kkawboy14
6/22/2016 11:23am
Don't buy any dirt! Dig a hole beside where you want a jump, maybe "hole" is an extreme word but get the dirt from beside where you decide you want a particular jump.
If you have to get rid of it all just level it all back out.
crusher773
6/22/2016 7:53pm
The best backyard track I ever rode was a grass track. It never needed maintenance because the grass kept rain and bikes from eroding it. We just mowed it. It was awesome one of the funniest tracks I ever rode. I am going to be bringing in dirt the next year to build and I am planning on doing the same.
6/22/2016 8:11pm
Buy your neighbors, no matter how far, a lovely basket with fruit, cheese and wine.
Tracktor
6/23/2016 10:16am
Tracktor wrote:
Gilby122 wrote:
Probably the right advice. I have hired a guy to build me two tracks at my last house and current house. I rented a D5 dozer...
Probably the right advice. I have hired a guy to build me two tracks at my last house and current house. I rented a D5 dozer for my current house track. I own a skid on tracks that I use to maintain it. It's probably close to a mile long and fairly technical. It's worth the expense to me to have it out my back door, but if you don't own your own skid, i'd guess it'd be real tough (and expensive) to keep it up.

One of the first posts that said "start with a large pile of money and change your number" is spot on! I enjoy my track... I enjoy working on my track...but it's amazing how many "friends" you'll pick up along the way that are all about rutting up your track, ditch-witching the jumps, and having a great time for hours...but never offer to pitch in for diesel or weed spray, etc. The best one is when ol' Johnny calls and asks it you wanna ride...then casually throws in "is it alright if I bring Richard and Tony" with me? At that point you're either a dick and say no (which I've done)...or you have two more people rutting up your track with no intentions of helping you make it better.

The other thing I will tell you is everyone...and I mean everyone...thinks they can run equipment. Whether that's you or not, there is an true art to building and maintaining a track. It takes waaaaaay more dirt than you could ever imagine. The distance from corners to faces...or gaps between obstacles isn't something you just wake up and do. I built the pw track for my kids and am quite good at shaping, but building from scratch is a real tough thing to do.

Lastly, we are pretty dry around here and my track only gets watered when it rains....but the weed problem is enormous!!! I go to our county weed and pest and get cost share on chemicals...and I'm here to tell you I spray (backpack sprayer, atv sprayer, etc.) almost nightly. It's a time consuming sob (doesn't help that I'm ocd and want my track looking nice as it's a part of my overall landscape) and definitely isn't cheap.

Bottom line, it's worth the time and money and effort for me to have it accessible for 20 minutes when I get home at night, or four hours on a sunday...but don't kid yourself into thinking it'll be a piece of cake and won't cost you much. All boils down to what you want it to look like, how you're going to use it, and what you have available to maintain it.

Good luck!
So much of this is spot on.^^

I used to be pretty open about who I had come up then one moron kinda ruined it. Now I just keep it my people I know and any local kids that my boys ride with. I will say some are good about offering some cash or helping out.
It has cost me more than most people can imagine and I do my own building. I have a Case 450 now but did much of the original build with an archaic International TD-6 62 with a clamshell bucket. I also have a 30 horse front loader for most maintenance (rippers/disc/drag & water tanks). Would love to have a tracked skiddy but with horses on the other side of property the tractor is more versatile and implements waaaay cheaper for it.
My last track needed dirt brought in. I would hit up the county when they were cleaning out the ditches and get truckloads dumped off. Win/win for both. The track I have now follows natural terrain so have plenty of dirt (and rock).
I like big safe jumps. Everything I build has a large safety deck & large breakover points on landings. We have trees to kill sound and keep dust contained as possible. We also have a freestyle ramp to play on tahts pretty safe. My 10 year old loves it!.......
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
6/23/2016 11:19am
Save yourself a ton of time and money! http://ramtraxdesign.com/ I have done it both ways. I built one before, then had Robby come in and do it properly. If I had it to do over I'd called in from the beginning. I spent way more in fuel and wear and tear on equipment in 2years than paying him to work his magic in a few days...

Gilby122
6/23/2016 11:29am
Tracktor wrote:
Gilby122 wrote:
Probably the right advice. I have hired a guy to build me two tracks at my last house and current house. I rented a D5 dozer...

Good luck!
Tracktor wrote:
So much of this is spot on.^^ I used to be pretty open about who I had come up then one moron kinda ruined it. Now...
So much of this is spot on.^^

I used to be pretty open about who I had come up then one moron kinda ruined it. Now I just keep it my people I know and any local kids that my boys ride with. I will say some are good about offering some cash or helping out.
It has cost me more than most people can imagine and I do my own building. I have a Case 450 now but did much of the original build with an archaic International TD-6 62 with a clamshell bucket. I also have a 30 horse front loader for most maintenance (rippers/disc/drag & water tanks). Would love to have a tracked skiddy but with horses on the other side of property the tractor is more versatile and implements waaaay cheaper for it.
My last track needed dirt brought in. I would hit up the county when they were cleaning out the ditches and get truckloads dumped off. Win/win for both. The track I have now follows natural terrain so have plenty of dirt (and rock).
I like big safe jumps. Everything I build has a large safety deck & large breakover points on landings. We have trees to kill sound and keep dust contained as possible. We also have a freestyle ramp to play on tahts pretty safe. My 10 year old loves it!.......
are you serious with the nac?! And he's 10?? Get out of here! Unreal!

Here's the assessor's view of my property. As you can see...not too many neighbors to worry about offending!

Post a reply to: Any ideas on how to start building a private track?

The Latest