Any Toronto "Must do" Recommendations?

VOODOO27
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 7:30am
I'm flying out for my first visit to Toronto with my kid on Thursday, and was hoping someone would have recommendations on what's cool to do, see... great restaurants, etc. in Toronto.

Any one? Bueller?
|
Outsider
3/21/2011 6:34pm
Just don't say you're there, and, well....
3/21/2011 6:46pm
eat at the top of the space needle looking thing?
niagra falls isnt far either.
wear warm clothes?
powDIRT
3/21/2011 6:47pm
One Word:........ POUTINE!

The Shop

Jarid332
Fantasy
1658th
3/21/2011 6:50pm
Toronto Metro Zoo bear pit
RexBackman
3/21/2011 6:51pm
- Hockey Hall of Fame

- CN Tower

- Maple Leafs (hockey) are away this week as our the Raptors (NBA) - already checked. The Marlies I think are the minor league team. Toronto FC (MLS, soccer) has a game early Sat...

- TIFF seems to be the new thing - Toronto Int'l Film Festival home - but open year round with lots of things.- http://tiff.net/tiffbelllightbox

- Tim Horton's - Canada's Starbucks Smile

- Loose Moose SX party friday Night (I think that is the place).

- Matthes will have to add what I missed ... hey I live in Seattle ...
Vazscep
3/21/2011 7:08pm
VOODOO27 wrote:
I'm flying out for my first visit to Toronto with my kid on Thursday, and was hoping someone would have recommendations on what's cool to do...
I'm flying out for my first visit to Toronto with my kid on Thursday, and was hoping someone would have recommendations on what's cool to do, see... great restaurants, etc. in Toronto.

Any one? Bueller?
Are you going to Seattle? If so want to meet up?
Jarid332
Fantasy
1658th
3/21/2011 7:22pm
There's a sweet little Mexican place on College Street called Rancho Relaxo I def recommend it!
docweedon
3/21/2011 7:24pm
When I went in '09, I made sure to go up the CN tower. Very cool. Also, go take a walk from the stadium to the waterfront area, there is a beach with yellow umbrellas thats was cool to hang around at. Just hanging out in the city was a good time though.
Vazscep
3/21/2011 7:28pm
Anyone who goes to Seattle needs to go to Dick's. You don't go there and you can't claim that you have been to Seattle.
MCfan4life
3/21/2011 7:32pm
hmmmm... Vazscep loves dicks.... very interesting LaughingTongueLaughing

Sorry old chap, couldn't resist
VOODOO27
3/21/2011 7:48pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2011 8:32pm
- canadian chicks? - Umm, I’m traveling with my 17 year old daughter…. she’s not going to be too interested in being my Canadian wingman, and she most likely wouldn’t have my wife’s (her mom) support in that. Smile

- Just don't say you're there, and, well.... - huh?

- eat at the top of the space needle looking thing? - Maybe not eat, but we’ll definitely take the scene route to the top of the tower

- niagra falls isnt far either. - We’re hitting NF on the way back to the Airport, on Sunday

- wear warm clothes? – The high is forecast at 28-30 deg F, Fri/Sat….. That's freakin' cold!! I’m bringing thermals

- One Word:........ POUTINE! – That can’t be healthy to eat that stuff… but when you’re in Rome…

- Tim Hortons. – Great recommendation, thanks, I was hoping for a local place other than Starbucks to get my morning caffeine

- Swiss Chalet – Looks like a good lunch for Friday

- Toronto Metro Zoo bear pit – …I’m forbidden from all zoos until my probation of over Wink

- Hockey Hall of Fame - I’m there, thanks

- Toronto Int'l Film Festival – I’ve already been sucked into talking my kid to the ‘SWEENEY TODD: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street’ musical on Friday night. That’s enough culture for me in a 4 day period. I was hoping the Toronto Comedy Festival was happening this weekend, but no luck.

- Are you going to Seattle? If so want to meet up? - @Vazscep – Yes sir. I’m flying in Friday afternoon, taking a couple friends up the Space Needle, Ruth Chris’ for dinner, catching a show at the Comedy Underground, then my annual breakfast on Saturday at Planet Java (cool, downtown Seattle diner by Qwest Field), and we’re sitting in SEC 235. Let me know where and when you are available to hook up, and if you’re interested in joining us in any of our activities… or we can just have a drink at the club level bar on the East side of the stadium. If I win the road2recovery VIP passes again, I’ll have an extra pass for the track walk, factory rig tour, etc.

- There's a sweet little Mexican place on College Street called Rancho Relaxo I def recommend it! – right on. Is it a hole in the wall kinda place, or a “fancy” Mexican restaurant? Looks like an even better lunch for Friday.

- Anyone who goes to Seattle needs to go to Dick's. – Wow… I’ve been to Seattle 6-7 times, and have never heard of that Burger joint. It looks like Seattle’s version of an In-N-Out style place. That may work for lunch on Saturday.

Thanks, for the recommendations, guys. That'll help fill out the trip and make it a little more memorable.
3/21/2011 7:49pm
check out STEAM WHISTLE BREWERY it is right beside the rogers center. they offer tours with samples !!!!!!!!!
Vazscep
3/21/2011 7:55pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2011 7:58pm
VOODOO27 wrote:
[i]- canadian chicks?[/i] - Umm, I’m traveling with my 17 year old daughter…. she’s not going to be too interested in being my Canadian wingman, and...
- canadian chicks? - Umm, I’m traveling with my 17 year old daughter…. she’s not going to be too interested in being my Canadian wingman, and she most likely wouldn’t have my wife’s (her mom) support in that. Smile

- Just don't say you're there, and, well.... - huh?

- eat at the top of the space needle looking thing? - Maybe not eat, but we’ll definitely take the scene route to the top of the tower

- niagra falls isnt far either. - We’re hitting NF on the way back to the Airport, on Sunday

- wear warm clothes? – The high is forecast at 28-30 deg F, Fri/Sat….. That's freakin' cold!! I’m bringing thermals

- One Word:........ POUTINE! – That can’t be healthy to eat that stuff… but when you’re in Rome…

- Tim Hortons. – Great recommendation, thanks, I was hoping for a local place other than Starbucks to get my morning caffeine

- Swiss Chalet – Looks like a good lunch for Friday

- Toronto Metro Zoo bear pit – …I’m forbidden from all zoos until my probation of over Wink

- Hockey Hall of Fame - I’m there, thanks

- Toronto Int'l Film Festival – I’ve already been sucked into talking my kid to the ‘SWEENEY TODD: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street’ musical on Friday night. That’s enough culture for me in a 4 day period. I was hoping the Toronto Comedy Festival was happening this weekend, but no luck.

- Are you going to Seattle? If so want to meet up? - @Vazscep – Yes sir. I’m flying in Friday afternoon, taking a couple friends up the Space Needle, Ruth Chris’ for dinner, catching a show at the Comedy Underground, then my annual breakfast on Saturday at Planet Java (cool, downtown Seattle diner by Qwest Field), and we’re sitting in SEC 235. Let me know where and when you are available to hook up, and if you’re interested in joining us in any of our activities… or we can just have a drink at the club level bar on the East side of the stadium. If I win the road2recovery VIP passes again, I’ll have an extra pass for the track walk, factory rig tour, etc.

- There's a sweet little Mexican place on College Street called Rancho Relaxo I def recommend it! – right on. Is it a hole in the wall kinda place, or a “fancy” Mexican restaurant? Looks like an even better lunch for Friday.

- Anyone who goes to Seattle needs to go to Dick's. – Wow… I’ve been to Seattle 6-7 times, and have never heard of that Burger joint. It looks like Seattle’s version of an In-N-Out style place. That may work for lunch on Saturday.

Thanks, for the recommendations, guys. That'll help fill out the trip and make it a little more memorable.
In one more year your daughter will be legal!
Vazscep
3/21/2011 7:56pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2011 7:58pm
MCfan4life wrote:

LOL. No problem since you ever come to the States, we must have a beer and debate!
MCfan4life
3/21/2011 7:58pm
MCfan4life wrote:

Vazscep wrote:
LOL. No problem since you ever come to the States, we must have a beer and debate!
No worries old mate. As long as it's not about dicks LaughingTongueLaughing

And don't go buying me one of those Fosters either Sick
Jarid332
Fantasy
1658th
3/21/2011 8:18pm
Rancho is great! No fancy at all and the prices are good too.

I'll be in the city all weekend. Should be a good time.
VOODOO27
3/21/2011 8:20pm
Vazscep wrote:
In one more year your daughter will be legal!
Tell me about it... then again, don't. She'll always be my little girl, though. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't get to go to half the races I hit up each year. My wife isn't interested in going, and my son just got the motocross bug, which is how I squeezed out a last minute trip next month to the Dallas SX, with him... I even scored an awesome pair of tixs for the season opener of my baseball team, the Red Sox vs whatever Texas team plays in Arlington.

Was there a specific though behind that statement? Or, just an observation? Or, just throwing a friendly reminder out? Smile

Sad thing is, she found out Toronto has a 'Fashion District' which means she wants me to take her shopping there. I told her the clothing stores shut down in Toronto when it get 30 deg or below...but I don't think she's buying it.
OSJ
3/21/2011 8:24pm
i believe tim hortons was bought by Wendys a couple years ago. search young st. for cool spots for java. lots of nice spots. just as locals when ya get there.
VOODOO27
3/21/2011 8:27pm
Jarid332 wrote:
Rancho is great! No fancy at all and the prices are good too.

I'll be in the city all weekend. Should be a good time.
Thanks, Jarid. I'm planning on making the trip up Spadina Ave. on Friday and having lunch there. Sounds like my kind of place.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
3/21/2011 9:02pm
I thought Poutine was a Quebec thing. If they have it in Toronto, by all means try it. With Poutine, the cheese will be melted but you should go to the grocery store and buy some. It is fun to eat because it squeaks and it it tastes really good. They call it Cheddar. I know but it is different than our Cheddar.
I find it easiest in Canada to buy most everything by credit card. That way you don't have to mess with getting and getting rid of cash before you go back home. Your credit card company will have the exchange rates converted on your statement. Makes things real easy.
ando
3/22/2011 12:19am
The CN tower is worth doing, although make sure it's a clear day.

Hockey Hall of Fame.

St Lawrence Market is definitely worth a look (although not open Sundays and Mondays).

Good places to drink:

Duke of Devon pub (near Bay and Wellington)

Biermarket

Steam Whistle Brewery

Loose Moose is not bad

(all of these places are within about 15 min walk of the Rogers centre)

My favourite place to eat in downtown Toronto is the Korean BBQ grill on Queen West near Simcoe. ($9 all you can eat lunch).

Also if your daughter is really into fashion/shopping, forget the fashion district and take a walk down Queen St west, starting at about University Avenue.
robkinuk
3/22/2011 2:23am
There's a really cool art gallery McMichael Art Gallery about 10 mins north of town, set in pine cabins in scenic woodland, great collection of Canadian artists and Indian art.
Try the vintage motorcycle store on King st? for cool retro t shirts and food.
Niagra falls is a must, about 90 min drive away, but also check out Little Niagra town and swirling whirlpool.
The underground shopping malls are a godsend during the winter months.
We stayed at the radison on the harbour seafront, spitting distance from Rogers Centre stadium.
Roscoe33
3/22/2011 4:20am
If you haven't booked a room yet try to get one in the Skydome that faces the track ( just close your window before you go to bed)

only an American would compare starbucks to Tim Hortons, Starbucks never played hockey.

the Korean Place on Queens is a must visit it is so good and cheap the Honda reps once paid...

Hockey hall of fame is only good if you like Hockey.
bt260
3/22/2011 6:01am
Downtown Toronto is actually a really cool place, kind of a cleaner, laid back version of NYC. You can easily spend an entire day just wandering around down there taking it all in.
SteveS
3/22/2011 6:08am
Toronto has great Chinese. Sunday morning dim sum....
toddh
3/22/2011 6:09am
Toronto is really neat. Distillery District is a must to check out. You can pretty much walk anywhere downtown.
newage
3/22/2011 6:09am
-Make sure you walk up yonge street
3/22/2011 6:34am
There's a lot of good suggestions in here.

As for poutine, it's definitely a lot better in Quebec. Keep that in mind if you buy one and don't like it.

Post a reply to: Any Toronto "Must do" Recommendations?

The Latest