Any Full Floater's been put on a later model?

Edited Date/Time 10/25/2015 12:23am
Just wondering if anyone here's seen a full floater rear end grafted onto a latter model MXer? Just a random thought on how the best 80's back end would work with a newer chassis and engine package rated against the latest?
|
rcannon
10/23/2015 5:43am
Suzuki stopped that specific design as they said it was too expensive to produce. Remember what their next version was? It was a massive, eccentric shaped deal with a huge amount of drag. That was for 86.

Id bet is amazing-ness would be "for its time" . A time when shocks were not very good and you needed to rely on a linkage to do the hard work.

I wish someone would try it, but I dont think d find it to be "better' than anything else right now.

cz2crf2wc
10/23/2015 5:45am
Just wondering if anyone here's seen a full floater rear end grafted onto a latter model MXer? Just a random thought on how the best 80's...
Just wondering if anyone here's seen a full floater rear end grafted onto a latter model MXer? Just a random thought on how the best 80's back end would work with a newer chassis and engine package rated against the latest?
A friend has been testing this for a while and the results are very good.
hillbilly
10/23/2015 5:46am
If you raced back then you'd never want anything from the 80s to graft onto anything.

The shock bodys would heat up and deform to the point that youd be looking down track for a shock sticking in the ground sure it fell off the lap prior.

A early 80s 8 ball would be ok i guess.
Bearuno
10/23/2015 6:45am
As much as I loved my RM125D - 83 Chassis that I used for a variety of 4T engined hybrids, I really don't think it would be anything particularly noteworthy as a rear suspension today.

I've still got the chassis hanging from the wall, alongside the Fox Forks I used on it. One day I'll make the decision on what engine I want back in it, and get it back in use. But, I distinctly remember my Ohlins equipped 89 CR chassis rear end being a better thing than the Floater. That chassis is still in my possession also, and will eventually be reunited with one of my engines.

Anything can be done - I've an AF project on my welding table right now, and I just did some (very) basic measurements - the 83 rocker arm pivot point is approx. 295mm from the SA pivot, set back approximately 200mm from the center line projected up from the SA pivot (mind you, this is very rough, as the chassis is hanging from a wall, with the steering head tied to said wall, and the rear wheel in the complete , extended rear end, so I'm guessing the vertical projection - it would take a few hours to actually get to the chassis for correct orientation, and that's Not going to happen until the bike is reassembled).

So, you'd have to do another 'subframe' for the rocker pivot, that could handle the forces, and then do an airbox and all of the related fender / gap solving. The 84 onwards Floater dimensions would be the best bet, as they are a lower rocker arm set up, very much closer to the original inventors bikes. The bulk of AF frames make the overall lengths of the Suspension Subframe / Triangulations much more compact, but you'd want to do things properly. Of course, a KTM steel chassis could be used, with something along the lines of a (very) much larger version of the current shock tower for the rocker pivot.

cz2crf2wc- I'd love to see pictures of what your friend has done - though I might read as being a bit negative about such a thing as a Re-Boot of the Floater rear end, I admire people who actually make things, and who are not just Blingers / accessory buyers.

The Shop

UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
10/23/2015 6:53am
Full Floater was the best and simplest suspension design ever.
moto0852
10/23/2015 7:28am
Matthes just did an interesting podcast with Tom White of White brothers fame where he talked about building bikes and using the best of everything and how they used the full floater design. Maybe I'm just nostalgic but I sure loved my 81 RM 125 full floater.
Mit12
10/23/2015 7:38am
It was not the cost of production for the full floater that stopped this system it was that Suzuki lost the court battle and had to pay royalities to the guy that they stold the design from. The cost per bike was not much after the initial payout. The Japanese do not like paying someone to keep using a design so they scrapped it.
Bearuno
10/23/2015 7:52am
moto0852 wrote:
This has been talked about on vital as well but it's an interesting story how Suzuki basically stole the design from a "back yard" mechanic and...
This has been talked about on vital as well but it's an interesting story how Suzuki basically stole the design from a "back yard" mechanic and later lost a court battle over it.
http://articles.latimes.com/1987-03-28/news/mn-699_1_patent-suit
That bloke has written an E book auto biography about his career. It used to be advertised / sold on FullFloater.com, but I just checked and can't find it there anymore.

He had an ongoing battle with Suzuki for many years, with many verdicts / compensation awards going his way, and then Suzuki continually appealing / dragging him back into court.

Many years after the Full Floater disappeared off of the RMs, I finally saw pictures of one of his development frames, ironically, in a British road bike mag. It was truly trick - a rocker arm made with triangulated tubes, that had the rocker very low in the frame - lower than the 84 model RMs.. a mid / late seventies rear end that would look exotic even nowadays. And, you could see just how much Suzuki had ripped him off.

I can't recall the name White Bros bike went by - something along the lines of 'F4' - I've been trying various combinations of White Brothers and F1 / F4, and am getting nowhere on finding pictures of it. To my dim memories, it was a variation of the Floater concept, though with either a singular vertical rod from the swingarm to the rocker, or a much narrower twin rod set up like the single shock Horsepower Factory Thumpers used. It may well have been a further development of the HPF frames....? You can find pictures of the HPF bikes on Thumperpilot.com. Their White Brothers pictures have only the twin shock bikes shown.
hellion
10/23/2015 8:08am
Cost and unnecessary complexity are two reasons I'm often here typing the virtues of the two stroke. But the truth for me is that a two stroke 250 or 500 has everything I want or need out of an engine.
But for the chassis, I'm continuously working to find settings I like and I'm rarely happy with anything. I'd be willing to see what could be done in this arena to make riding a better experience even if it meant spending a little more.
My pipe dream; build a bike using modern suspension technology with modern weight saving materials like carbon fiber. And the basis for the design would be the full floater rear, with the Ribi Quadrilateral front end. It's been a long time since we've seen anything truly different. This would have a good chance of being both different and significantly better.
coolhand
10/23/2015 10:51am
The concept worked, and with todays shock technology could be adapted. Why do most guys re-valve
a bike? or tell themselves they need a re-valve? with the exception of Yamaha the OEMs don't set
up a bike for the U.S. base....plain and simple.

Ask your self why Honda built that 97-99 Honda CR? because someone at the Top wanted it and
marketing told them to build it.

The issue is shaft speed, and the fluid dynamics of dampening. Coil and spring technology has

be unchanged for quite some time...bottom line.. Technology has surpassed the rider...the window

has been closed.
cwtoyota
10/23/2015 1:11pm
What advantages do you guys see in the old Suzuki Full Floater system that cannot be achieved with current rising rate linkage designs?

What are the disadvantages of the Full Floater?
zehn
10/23/2015 1:26pm
UpTiTe wrote:
Yeah, I don't think many people are going to agree with you on that one
moto0852
10/23/2015 1:34pm
UpTiTe wrote:
zehn wrote:
Probably not the most simple but definitely the best I've ever ridden. (Of course 1981 was the year I turned pro and I've gotten slower every year since then so that may have something to do with my memory)
zehn
10/23/2015 1:37pm
UpTiTe wrote:
zehn wrote:
moto0852 wrote:
Probably not the most simple but definitely the best I've ever ridden. (Of course 1981 was the year I turned pro and I've gotten slower every...
Probably not the most simple but definitely the best I've ever ridden. (Of course 1981 was the year I turned pro and I've gotten slower every year since then so that may have something to do with my memory)
Well, I should say that I've never ridden a Full Floater equipped bike, but I struggle to wrap my head around the concept that a 30+ year old design executed with 30+ year old components was really *that* much better than modern designs and modern parts.

It just doesn't pass the "eye" test, ya know?
moto0852
10/23/2015 1:46pm
zehn wrote:
moto0852 wrote:
Probably not the most simple but definitely the best I've ever ridden. (Of course 1981 was the year I turned pro and I've gotten slower every...
zehn wrote:
Well, I should say that I've never ridden a Full Floater equipped bike, but I struggle to wrap my head around the concept that a 30+...
Well, I should say that I've never ridden a Full Floater equipped bike, but I struggle to wrap my head around the concept that a 30+ year old design executed with 30+ year old components was really *that* much better than modern designs and modern parts.

Actually Archimedes’ Law of the Lever dates back to about 287 B.C. Well before 30 years ago.

You don't actually run with the idea that "new is always better" do you?
zehn
10/23/2015 2:10pm Edited Date/Time 10/23/2015 2:10pm
moto0852 wrote:
Actually Archimedes’ Law of the Lever dates back to about 287 B.C. Well before 30 years ago. You don't actually run with the idea that "new...
Actually Archimedes’ Law of the Lever dates back to about 287 B.C. Well before 30 years ago.

I don't, but I also don't think that rear suspension technology has been progressing backwards since the early 80s.
moto0852
10/23/2015 2:23pm
moto0852 wrote:
Actually Archimedes’ Law of the Lever dates back to about 287 B.C. Well before 30 years ago. You don't actually run with the idea that "new...

zehn wrote:
I don't, but I also don't think that rear suspension technology has been progressing backwards since the early 80s.
Click on the links on the Suzuki lawsuit. Research Horst Leitners A-trak swingarm and the Ribi front suspension and you'll be elucidated.
cwtoyota
10/23/2015 2:25pm
moto0852 wrote:
zehn wrote:
Well, I should say that I've never ridden a Full Floater equipped bike, but I struggle to wrap my head around the concept that a 30+...

moto0852 wrote:

What advantages do you guys see in the old Suzuki Full Floater system that cannot be achieved with current rising rate linkage designs?

hillbilly
10/23/2015 2:37pm
zehn wrote:

moto0852 wrote:

cwtoyota wrote:
What advantages do you guys see in the old Suzuki Full Floater system that cannot be achieved with current rising rate linkage designs? What are the...

I see none,extra friction.

The linkage creates a curve of shock shaft travel vs wheel travel.

The 1st inch of wheel travel will use say a quarter inch of shock the last inch of wheel travel will use a half inch of shock.

It is a rising rate that can be tuned or changed.

The location of the shock and its weight centralization is the only thing i see.

And it may affect air boot straightness.
OldYZRider1
10/23/2015 4:39pm
cwtoyota wrote:
What advantages do you guys see in the old Suzuki Full Floater system that cannot be achieved with current rising rate linkage designs? What are the...

Comparing the designs I believe the full floater has a higher C.G. and probably requires more frame material than what we see with the modern designs. The pivot at the top of the shock results in more weight up high and likely requires a more substantial rearward projection of the main frame to mount it and carry the imposed loads. The suspension action may be every bit as good as the current designs but the higher C.G. may cause some negative handling effects in comparison.
cwtoyota
10/23/2015 5:20pm
Hillbilly and OldYZRider1, I can't think of any advantages to the Full Floater either... I'd love to hear what advantages it may have from someone who sees it from that perspective.

ilovetacos
10/23/2015 6:20pm
moto0852 wrote:
This has been talked about on vital as well but it's an interesting story how Suzuki basically stole the design from a "back yard" mechanic and...
This has been talked about on vital as well but it's an interesting story how Suzuki basically stole the design from a "back yard" mechanic and later lost a court battle over it.
http://articles.latimes.com/1987-03-28/news/mn-699_1_patent-suit
I worked at a Suzuki dealership in Costa Mesa California, the firm representing this guy came in and ordered a few sets of Full Floater set ups off of a few different models. I asked the guy why he needed them and told he couldn't discuss it. but he spent thousands of dollars buying parts for evidence - prop.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
10/23/2015 6:38pm
Ducati used a full floater style suspension on their 1098r. Maybe others. Haven't inspected the newer bikes.

Clicky
hellion
10/23/2015 8:41pm
For people who don't know, the full floater design worked by compressing the shock from both ends. Neither end was attached directly to the frame. I don't know why it worked so well, but it has to be something to do with that. I remember it being amazing. Of course my last floater was 1985 and I've gotten continuosly pickier over the years. Hopefully I'll finish restoring my old RM someday so I can see if it's as good as I remember.

OldYZRider1
10/24/2015 6:48am
cwtoyota wrote:
Hillbilly and OldYZRider1, I can't think of any advantages to the Full Floater either... I'd love to hear what advantages it may have from someone who...
Hillbilly and OldYZRider1, I can't think of any advantages to the Full Floater either... I'd love to hear what advantages it may have from someone who sees it from that perspective.

When it was introduced in 1981 it was considered to be a clearly superior suspension. The Honda Pro-Link and the Full Floater were introduced onto production bikes at the same time. The Pro-Link design is basically what we still see today, so until 1986 when Suzuki stopped using it, I think it it was still felt to perform better. But that was many years ago and I think the evolution of the Pro-Link type design has advanced to where its benefits may not be as apparent today.

The patents have expired by now and no one seems to have re-visited its use on a motocross bike that I've heard of for what that's worth.
downard254
10/24/2015 10:32am
I ran an '85 RM 250, the final iteration of the full floater. I don't know why it worked so well either, but bone stock I wasn't afraid to hit anything, it never kicked sideways, and it would track perfectly straight through anything thrown at it. To this day I've not ridden a bike that inspires confidence in the rear that the full floater did. I'm currently on a completely revalved '06 RM 250 and it's not as good in "all around" performance as my old bike.

Post a reply to: Any Full Floater's been put on a later model?

The Latest