Ankle Support?

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
Edited Date/Time 10/18/2018 5:14pm
Hey guys, a few weeks ago I landed a jump short and tweaked my ankle. I was too far on my toes and extended my toe towards my shin. Nothing broken, just strained and sore. I have Fox instincts which are soft to begin with and I'm not looking to go but new boots today.

Anyone have ideas on in the boot ankle support? It's so tight in there, hard to fit the braces or ace bandage?

Thanks in advance!
|
shiftmx_22
Fantasy
629th
5/22/2014 7:37am Edited Date/Time 5/22/2014 7:38am
One of my buddies has these. He tore his achilles last year in a similar fashion. Not my cup of tea, but he seems to like them.

Edit: Geez, that's twice so far today I've been a hair too slow.
BAMX
5/22/2014 9:42am
I always liked tape.

The Shop

FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
5/22/2014 9:59am
I wore one of those Allsport ones like that for about 7 years after I jacked my ankle. Then SG-10's were invented and I never wore one again. The problem with those is they are kinda thick and take up lots of space in the boot. I actually wore mine without the internal padding to make it thinner. They also don't provide much support in the toe up/down direction like this guy wants.

These lace-up type work pretty well and tend to be thinnner inside the boot.

http://www.amazon.com/SixSixOne-Support-Product-All-Terrain-Bicycle/dp/…

Team Ideal
5/22/2014 10:29am
IMO tape is best, then a support like the 661. my son had been fighting a high ankle sprain earlier this year and was actually doing both tape and support, could barely get his boot on and off but...it worked
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
5/22/2014 11:06am
Ok cool thanks for the info. I have tried a few braces but they are all bulky to fit in my boot. I will try that tape diagram, looks pretty slim.
5/22/2014 12:22pm Edited Date/Time 5/22/2014 12:32pm
Hey guys, a few weeks ago I landed a jump short and tweaked my ankle. I was too far on my toes and extended my toe...
Hey guys, a few weeks ago I landed a jump short and tweaked my ankle. I was too far on my toes and extended my toe towards my shin. Nothing broken, just strained and sore. I have Fox instincts which are soft to begin with and I'm not looking to go but new boots today.

Anyone have ideas on in the boot ankle support? It's so tight in there, hard to fit the braces or ace bandage?

Thanks in advance!
Ankle braces are 100% worthless for resisting hyperflexion. You have to learn to tape. I had the exact same issue wakeboarding. Hyperflexion is common in wakeboarding (toes to shin on tantrum type rotations)....often with a bit of eversion. When I was wake boarding often, I bought tape cases at a time.

#1: Shave your leg and tape direct to skin. Don't be a pussy...you have to do this. It hurts when you cut the tape off...but it is the only way to get enough support for this type of support.
#2: Towards the end of the tape job, you have to use a special stirrup/heel lock pattern right and left side of the ankle. When you do this pattern, you extend / straighten slightly. This creates tension in the tape along side your achilles, which resists hyperflexing.

I actually came up short on a tantrum and hit so hard it ripped like 10 passes of tape. Broke them clean. All that energy that went into breaking the tape would otherwise have gone into my ankle / tib-fib. It was scary as shit...because I felt a violent pop! I though I had snapped my leg. I was scared shitless...came in...got on the boat...got out of the bindings...and it was all the tape!

There is no ankle brace that will resist this sort of flex..you have to tape...and learn to do it in a special way. Braces are meant to resist inversion (rolling)

The other option is ankle saver footpegs.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
5/22/2014 12:26pm
Hey guys, a few weeks ago I landed a jump short and tweaked my ankle. I was too far on my toes and extended my toe...

Thanks in advance!
Ankle braces are 100% worthless for resisting hyperflexion. You have to learn to tape. I had the exact same issue wakeboarding. Hyperflexion is common in wakeboarding...
Ankle braces are 100% worthless for resisting hyperflexion. You have to learn to tape. I had the exact same issue wakeboarding. Hyperflexion is common in wakeboarding (toes to shin on tantrum type rotations)....often with a bit of eversion. When I was wake boarding often, I bought tape cases at a time.

#1: Shave your leg and tape direct to skin. Don't be a pussy...you have to do this. It hurts when you cut the tape off...but it is the only way to get enough support for this type of support.
#2: Towards the end of the tape job, you have to use a special stirrup/heel lock pattern right and left side of the ankle. When you do this pattern, you extend / straighten slightly. This creates tension in the tape along side your achilles, which resists hyperflexing.

I actually came up short on a tantrum and hit so hard it ripped like 10 passes of tape. Broke them clean. All that energy that went into breaking the tape would otherwise have gone into my ankle / tib-fib. It was scary as shit...because I felt a violent pop! I though I had snapped my leg. I was scared shitless...came in...got on the boat...got out of the bindings...and it was all the tape!

There is no ankle brace that will resist this sort of flex..you have to tape...and learn to do it in a special way. Braces are meant to resist inversion (rolling)

The other option is ankle saver footpegs.
OK awesome, any videos or write ups online that you think are best to use? Also do you use 1in wide tape or 2inch? I appreciate that information!
BAMX
5/22/2014 12:55pm
Ok cool thanks for the info. I have tried a few braces but they are all bulky to fit in my boot. I will try that...
Ok cool thanks for the info. I have tried a few braces but they are all bulky to fit in my boot. I will try that tape diagram, looks pretty slim.
It works great. Buy the foam under wrap and good athletic tape. Also, don't goo too tight especially since, it will swell a bit with riding. The triangle pattern is what brings it all together.
HenryA
5/22/2014 12:56pm
Maybe Tech 10's with their inner shoe? It's designed for more ankle support.
5/22/2014 5:36pm
Ok cool thanks for the info. I have tried a few braces but they are all bulky to fit in my boot. I will try that...
BAMX wrote:
It works great. Buy the foam under wrap and good athletic tape. Also, don't goo too tight especially since, it will swell a bit with riding...
It works great. Buy the foam under wrap and good athletic tape. Also, don't goo too tight especially since, it will swell a bit with riding. The triangle pattern is what brings it all together.
No. Underwrap will not work if you are taping to restrict hyperflexion. This is a very different technique that normal taping. Been them there done that. He is not talking about taping to prevent inversion.
5/22/2014 5:39pm
Joe....you have to use 1" tape because of the wrap you are doing. I will post some pics...
5/22/2014 5:52pm
The wraps that will resist hyperflexion...

I will not show a complete tape job...just the wraps that will do what you need. These wraps are typically done near the end.

1. You can and should do this wrap on each side...ie mirror about your leg side to side.

2. Straighten your foot a bit...and pull a bit tighter here.

3. This is in slight tension. This essentially does what your achilles does...but much sooner.

4. Each time you do one of these wraps...anchor it.

For wake boarding, I would do this wrap 4-5 times each direction...each foot! That means 10 anchors...a LOT of tape. When I am done...the total tape thickness is .125+" thick! I also use this for gymanstics work / trampoline acro training.
Ubtg
10/16/2018 7:31pm
The wraps that will resist hyperflexion... I will not show a complete tape job...just the wraps that will do what you need. These wraps are typically...
The wraps that will resist hyperflexion...

I will not show a complete tape job...just the wraps that will do what you need. These wraps are typically done near the end.

1. You can and should do this wrap on each side...ie mirror about your leg side to side.

2. Straighten your foot a bit...and pull a bit tighter here.

3. This is in slight tension. This essentially does what your achilles does...but much sooner.

4. Each time you do one of these wraps...anchor it.

For wake boarding, I would do this wrap 4-5 times each direction...each foot! That means 10 anchors...a LOT of tape. When I am done...the total tape thickness is .125+" thick! I also use this for gymanstics work / trampoline acro training.
Hey bud, I know this is an old post... I overshot a double and jacked my ankle up in a similar fashion. Can you tell me what kind of tape that is? Also, you stated that the technique you are showing should be done towards the end. would you consider the "basket weave" shown earlier in the thread to be acceptable to do under or before applying the layers you are talking about?
10/17/2018 1:30am
I used to use Mueller brand tape. It was great.... strong in tension, and very sticky. Then one day they changed their weave, and the glue got weak. I think they shifted their mfg overseas. I then found that the std tape at Sports Authority was best, but that was a while ago. Basically, what you want is the stickiest tape you can find, that DOES NOT STRETCH. Apply to bare skin after shaving. Just try a bunch of different types, and see what works best. If you know a trainer for any sports team, they will be able to tell you what the best tape is now. Football players probably to the most serious taping. Gymnasts too....

As for the tape pattern, do the pattern BAMX showed....then the stirrup pattern I showed over the top. You may figure out something even better. The key is to straighten out your ankle a bit when you do my stirrup pattern. That way when you flex, the tape acts like your Achilles and will resist hyperflexion.
JoePit
10/17/2018 1:55am
I haven't tried them but I think the ankle saver footpegs are a great option. I wasn't so lucky last year coming up short and destroyed my right ankle. Tib/fib sucks but it's the talus you want to steer clear of. 20 months later and I have almost no desire to ride anymore. Having a blast watching my 7 year old advance so I'm still at the track watching him and everyone else enjoy this great sport

Protect those ankles!
mmain62
10/17/2018 4:17am
I am currently recovering from a broken TIB/FIB. I got my tech 10s at the beginning of the summer and broke my leg in them in september. I know its not the boots, I got thrown from my bike landed feet first. Anyways I am curious if anyone thats broken the lower TIB has worn a support along with the tech 10 bootie.
10/17/2018 5:05am
FGR01 wrote:
I wore one of those Allsport ones like that for about 7 years after I jacked my ankle. Then SG-10's were invented and I never wore...
I wore one of those Allsport ones like that for about 7 years after I jacked my ankle. Then SG-10's were invented and I never wore one again. The problem with those is they are kinda thick and take up lots of space in the boot. I actually wore mine without the internal padding to make it thinner. They also don't provide much support in the toe up/down direction like this guy wants.

Ubtg
10/17/2018 7:23pm
Thanks fellas. I really appreciate the info
Garrett314
10/17/2018 7:26pm

Thanks in advance!
Have you seen ankle savers footpegs?
brocster
10/17/2018 8:04pm
FGR01 wrote:
I wore one of those Allsport ones like that for about 7 years after I jacked my ankle. Then SG-10's were invented and I never wore...

Identical ones at Dicks sporting goods as well.
Ubtg
10/18/2018 5:14pm
i ordered ankle savers last night. When i shoved my foot up, i ended up missing about two weeks of work, its been months and though my ankle is alot better its still not 100%... after it happend i immediately got wider pegs instead of ankle savers thinking it would heal in a reasonable amount of time and that wider pegs would be enough, not realizing it was going to take MONTHS to get it back. Started back riding and its still gets aggravated. havent had the confidence to jump anything. I got to thinking about it and came to the conclusion that if i'm going to continue riding i absolutely cannot afford to do that again (and it will be super easy to jam up again as they will probably be tender for awhile). Hyperflexion is definatly the issue. probably going to experiment with the taping, and certainly wont be jumping anything big untill the ankle savers get here! Thanks again fellas. I will review the braces mentioned, however, I have had a hard time finding one that addressed hyperflexion as mentioned earlier in the post

Post a reply to: Ankle Support?

The Latest