Angry cable customers, please read.

kburgie
Edited Date/Time 6/5/2017 4:55pm

The complaint that I read over and over is that you want to do a thing the way you have always done it, and because you can't, the system is wrong.

The other big one is that the $50 NBC Gold package is a step backwards, doesn't help the sport, etc. Well, nobody at NBC cares about the sport, and our numbers do not warrant a four hour live time slot every weekend. Those who run this series, MX Sports and Davey Coombs, DO care about the sport and DO work very hard to provide you with the most access possible.

I travel and relocate a lot. When I come home to my parents' house, I beg them to cancel cable. It's an awful, expensive user experience to sit down in front of a TV and flip through 100 garbage channels and to be barraged by commercials when you do find the one thing you want to watch. I think my parents pay like $220/month for this privilege. If you pay $100/month that's $1,200/year. $200/month = $2,400/year. Ok?

Here's how you do it in 2017:

1. Buy a Chromecast. It's $35 or $69 if you want to stream 4K. Plug it into an HDMI slot on your TV.

- Add the Cast browser extension to Google Chrome on your laptop or desktop.
- Add the Google Home app to your smartphone or tablet.

2. Netflix. It's $12 for their top tier plan. $8 for the lowest.

- This will stream to Chromecast from any device.
- YouTube will also stream from any device.

3. Amazon Prime. It's $100 per year ($8.25/month) and includes Prime Video. There are tons of shows and movies here that Netflix doesn't have.

- You can add HBO, Showtime, Starz, and more to your Prime account for another $15/month.

4. Hulu. $8 a month or $40/month for live TV.

5. Sling TV. Basically all of your cable channels, live, including sports, including supercross, for $25 month. The app will stream from any device to your TV.

6. NBC Sports Gold. $50/month. [Edit: $50/year. Thanks Scottie.] Motocross. Wirelessly streamed in HD from any of your devices to your Chromecast.

7. iTunes or Google Play for any show you somehow haven't found on any of these services. You can buy the current season of your favorite TV show for $20 or so.

THE BIG BOLD REAL BEAUTY OF ALL THIS is that you can cancel these services when you are not using them. You get to choose when to pay for the things you actually want to watch.

Netflix + Prime Video + HBO + Hulu + Sling TV = ~$67 per month = ~$804 annually.

That's 30% of what you pay now.

Add $50 for NBC Sports Gold and $100 to buy the complete series of Breaking Bad on iTunes and you're spending half of cable or dish and you're almost completely commercial free.

That's the price if you never cancel anything. If you have favorite shows that you watch, you can pay for a couple months at a time and cancel when the show is over. You can pay a tiny, tiny fraction of what cable costs and stream them in HD to your big TV from your iThing and browse Facebook and Vital from the same phone or tablet or laptop at the same time.

"The difference between rats and humans is that when a rat finds the cheese is missing from the usual tunnel, it will turn around and try a different tunnel. A human will pull up a chair and wait for the cheese to come to him."
- Bill O'hanlon
|
6/4/2017 12:40pm
Bro, I'm sorry. You will never be able to convince some guys to "cut the cord." They are going to stick with what they know and keep paying DirecTV (a service I used to love) a fortune every month. I did exactly what you said above with regards to service, except we also have CBS on demand. Nevertheless, we cut our bill by more than half. Between YouTube, Netflix, CBS, NBC Sports Gold, Amazon Prime, etc., we can't keep up with the content. We bought a couple of digital antennas for both TVs and we get all local channels for free.
gt80rider
6/4/2017 12:43pm
Did u get your gold for free? How much u were u paid for the above advertisment? When you pay $18 for some fancy Icelandic bottled water, do u get on forums and tell people how stupid they are for drinking from the tap??

Also...

Kinda sounds like the day the gates were locked up at the country club. Pay to get in, or be considered a slacker. Oh... And we all know how that turned out n the end.......
ocscottie
6/4/2017 12:45pm
6. NBC Sports Gold. $50/month.

its $50 a year bro. Cool
kburgie
6/4/2017 12:46pm
gt80rider wrote:
Did u get your gold for free? How much u were u paid for the above advertisment? When you pay $18 for some fancy Icelandic bottled...
Did u get your gold for free? How much u were u paid for the above advertisment? When you pay $18 for some fancy Icelandic bottled water, do u get on forums and tell people how stupid they are for drinking from the tap??

Also...

Kinda sounds like the day the gates were locked up at the country club. Pay to get in, or be considered a slacker. Oh... And we all know how that turned out n the end.......
I'm actually trying to help you.

The Shop

HenryA
6/4/2017 12:48pm
Hehe, great post OP. But some people will never get it...
Dimblewambie
6/4/2017 12:51pm
gt80rider wrote:
Did u get your gold for free? How much u were u paid for the above advertisment? When you pay $18 for some fancy Icelandic bottled...

Also...

I switched from $1.99 smart water to .79c Crystal Geyser and now can afford back into the country club. It's great.
early
Fantasy
2231st
6/4/2017 1:05pm
gt80rider wrote:

Also...

Unbelievable
hellion
6/4/2017 1:05pm
I get it. I just wish it all wasn't such a pain in the ass.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
6/4/2017 1:08pm
gt80rider wrote:

Also...

read again
kburgie
6/4/2017 1:15pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2017 1:16pm
hellion wrote:
I get it. I just wish it all wasn't such a pain in the ass.
And I get that. I understand that, especially if tech isn't your thing, it's a ton of change. Honestly though, setting up your Chromecast (or Roku, or Amazon Fire Stick) is the most complicated part, and it's not so bad if you just follow the directions step by step. After that it all just works (most of the time). It is frustrating when it doesn't work.

I also know that with my parents, Netflix and the endless, exclusively on-demand options are actually overwhelming. It's different from channel surfing for something to watch.
Dizzy714
Fantasy
3695th
6/4/2017 1:15pm
What makes me livid is that I already pay for NBC Sports through my DirecTV package, which always had streamed both motos live through their standard app with your package login credentials, until they released this Sports Gold BS and gave the axe to MX in their standard app. Sports Gold is awesome to everybody that isn't subscribed to cable, of course. But to axe content that's being paid for through a cable package is absolutely ridiculous.
kburgie
6/4/2017 1:20pm
Dizzy714 wrote:
What makes me livid is that I already pay for NBC Sports through my DirecTV package, which always had streamed both motos live through their standard...
What makes me livid is that I already pay for NBC Sports through my DirecTV package, which always had streamed both motos live through their standard app with your package login credentials, until they released this Sports Gold BS and gave the axe to MX in their standard app. Sports Gold is awesome to everybody that isn't subscribed to cable, of course. But to axe content that's being paid for through a cable package is absolutely ridiculous.
Well that's kind of the whole point here. You can ditch DirecTV and not pay twice for NBC Sports.
Dimblewambie
6/4/2017 1:24pm
YouTube is another solid source for free (or pay for red to not eat up your mobile data) entertainment. A lot of cool series, full shows, movies. Everything.
6/4/2017 1:43pm
gt80rider wrote:

Also...

Bro, your sprocket bolts need a torquing. I won't even mention your blown head gasket.
Dizzy714
Fantasy
3695th
6/4/2017 1:43pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2017 1:45pm
Dizzy714 wrote:
What makes me livid is that I already pay for NBC Sports through my DirecTV package, which always had streamed both motos live through their standard...
kburgie wrote:
Well that's kind of the whole point here. You can ditch DirecTV and not pay twice for NBC Sports.
The point is that the content shouldn't be required to be paid for twice, regardless. The content should be available through both outlets. Again, the content was always available to paying 'corded' subscribers through the standard NBC Sports app previously. The NBC Sports Gold app should be a completely separate standalone service, which it is, but at the cost of jipping paying subscribers to their other outlet.
6/4/2017 1:50pm

Watch the races through YouTube TV. You get these channels on YouTube TV for $35 a month, no contracts involved.
kburgie
6/4/2017 2:19pm
Dizzy714 wrote:
The point is that the content shouldn't be required to be paid for twice, regardless. The content should be available through both outlets. Again, the content...
The point is that the content shouldn't be required to be paid for twice, regardless. The content should be available through both outlets. Again, the content was always available to paying 'corded' subscribers through the standard NBC Sports app previously. The NBC Sports Gold app should be a completely separate standalone service, which it is, but at the cost of jipping paying subscribers to their other outlet.
So your beef here is with NBC and they, as the provider, get to do whatever they want. It doesn't matter what you think the service should be. This is what it is.

DirecTV pays to carry NBC. You pay DirecTV. You're probably paying DirecTV more than they are paying for your share of NBC, and NBC still has to sell ads to stay afloat. They need eyeballs to sell ads.

The NBC Sports "Motors" section doesn't include motocross anymore. The link out to promotocross.com. NBC Sports Gold groups motocross with cycling, rugby, and track and field. These are great sports with passionate but small followings and they probably don't sell enough ads to be worthwhile.

(This may not be true!) but I believe MX Sports actually pays NBC Sports to carry the races. Continuing to totally talk out my ass, maybe MX Sports gets a kick-back on the Gold subscription as incentive to sell it.

It's a food chain. Motocross isn't valuable enough or isn't the right format for the traditional coverage that other sports get. The stakeholders have to do what they can to make it work.
early
Fantasy
2231st
6/4/2017 2:22pm
Dizzy714 wrote:
The point is that the content shouldn't be required to be paid for twice, regardless. The content should be available through both outlets. Again, the content...
That is a valid grievance. Im sure the idea is that if those channels come thru on your cable package tou can dvr to watch later. Excluding it results from other people getting a cable login to watch on the NBCSN app. Those are the people that are the target for the GOLD package. If they could use somebodys login they would never buy it. Thats just the reality of it.

Also having a cable contract does suck so it is fully understandable yiur frustration.
Hut
6/4/2017 2:25pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/06/04/198984/s1200_IMG_0328.jpg[/img] Watch the races through YouTube TV. You get these channels on YouTube TV for $35 a month, no contracts involved.

Watch the races through YouTube TV. You get these channels on YouTube TV for $35 a month, no contracts involved.
No Mav?
6/4/2017 2:45pm
kburgie wrote:
I'm actually trying to help you.
Thank you.
Dizzy714
Fantasy
3695th
6/4/2017 2:52pm
Whatever the inner-politics may be. I was just stricken when I was at a buddies house ready to cast the Hangtown motos live, as I always have through the NBCSN app, just to find out that Pro Motocross has been axed and instead placed only into this NBCS Gold package. Luckily, I have a Slingbox setup on one of my receivers which was my saving grace for that day so I was still able to carry on, drink beer, grill out & cast the motos live and have a great time, granted the SD quality of MavTV on Moto 1. However it's TV scheduling like this weekend that absolutely kills, which is where the NBCSN app has always come through for me in the past. If Moto 2 was not aired live on TV, it was on the NBCSN app - and Moto 1 was always available as well, which ridded me from ever having to watch in SD on MavTV. Yes, my beef is with NBC for excluding that content that has always been available with them through a provider's paid packaging in favor of only being available through a separate new service that they introduced. It was a punch to the gut, point blank. I'm glad it works for you, and every other cord-cutter - it truly is awesome. Just a punch to the gut for the paying corded dudes like myself. But hell, *insert Dungey quote*, I guess.
Xeno
6/4/2017 2:58pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2017 2:59pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/06/04/198984/s1200_IMG_0328.jpg[/img] Watch the races through YouTube TV. You get these channels on YouTube TV for $35 a month, no contracts involved.

YouTube TV is not available in every market. And it doesn't show MavTV content.

That said, i've been using YouTube TV and I really like it. It will be my method of watching Supercross in 2018.
6/4/2017 3:03pm
Xeno wrote:
YouTube TV is not available in every market. And it doesn't show MavTV content. That said, i've been using YouTube TV and I really like it...
YouTube TV is not available in every market. And it doesn't show MavTV content.

That said, i've been using YouTube TV and I really like it. It will be my method of watching Supercross in 2018.
Good call man, and you're right it currently is only available in select cities but hopefully it does catch on and expand to further regions.
umagumadog
6/4/2017 4:24pm
$50 month for internet $90 one time for a fire TV box KODI for free and I watch any damn thing I want to for $690 a year. I'm watching the new pirates of the Caribbean as I type this and watched all 4 motos yesterday without paying for NBC gold.
suprtrukr425
6/4/2017 5:30pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2017 5:31pm
kburgie wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/06/04/198953/s1200_Screen_Shot_2017_06_04_at_2.30.55_PM.jpg[/img] The complaint that I read over and over is that you want to do a thing the way you have always done it, and because...

The complaint that I read over and over is that you want to do a thing the way you have always done it, and because you can't, the system is wrong.

The other big one is that the $50 NBC Gold package is a step backwards, doesn't help the sport, etc. Well, nobody at NBC cares about the sport, and our numbers do not warrant a four hour live time slot every weekend. Those who run this series, MX Sports and Davey Coombs, DO care about the sport and DO work very hard to provide you with the most access possible.

I travel and relocate a lot. When I come home to my parents' house, I beg them to cancel cable. It's an awful, expensive user experience to sit down in front of a TV and flip through 100 garbage channels and to be barraged by commercials when you do find the one thing you want to watch. I think my parents pay like $220/month for this privilege. If you pay $100/month that's $1,200/year. $200/month = $2,400/year. Ok?

1. Buy a Chromecast. It's $35 or $69 if you want to stream 4K. Plug it into an HDMI slot on your TV.

3. Amazon Prime. It's $100 per year ($8.25/month) and includes Prime Video. There are tons of shows and movies here that Netflix doesn't have.

- You can add HBO, Showtime, Starz, and more to your Prime account for another $15/month.

5. Sling TV. Basically all of your cable channels, live, including sports, including supercross, for $25 month. The app will stream from any device to your TV.

6. NBC Sports Gold. $50/month. [Edit: $50/year. Thanks Scottie.] Motocross. Wirelessly streamed in HD from any of your devices to your Chromecast.

7. iTunes or Google Play for any show you somehow haven't found on any of these services. You can buy the current season of your favorite TV show for $20 or so.

THE BIG BOLD REAL BEAUTY OF ALL THIS is that you can cancel these services when you are not using them. You get to choose when to pay for the things you actually want to watch.

Netflix + Prime Video + HBO + Hulu + Sling TV = ~$67 per month = ~$804 annually.

Add $50 for NBC Sports Gold and $100 to buy the complete series of Breaking Bad on iTunes and you're spending half of cable or dish and you're almost completely commercial free.

That's the price if you never cancel anything. If you have favorite shows that you watch, you can pay for a couple months at a time and cancel when the show is over. You can pay a tiny, tiny fraction of what cable costs and stream them in HD to your big TV from your iThing and browse Facebook and Vital from the same phone or tablet or laptop at the same time.

"The difference between rats and humans is that when a rat finds the cheese is missing from the usual tunnel, it will turn around and try a different tunnel. A human will pull up a chair and wait for the cheese to come to him."
- Bill O'hanlon
You forgot to add in the price of internet. $100 dollars a month where I live, only one option. Thats $1,200 a year added to your figures, which makes it over $2,000 a year total. I pay $165 a month for cable and internet, with extra sports package ($10 month, no MAVTV available here). That's less than your figures and I don't have to deal with my wife and kids trying to figure out a new system. Cable cutting doesn't make sense for everyone.
rancor19
6/4/2017 5:43pm

This may be a little off-topic but...

44 channels for $35/mo. works out to about $.80 per channel. Ever ask yourself why you can't just pay $.80(or even $1.00) each for the channels you actually want? Why do I need to subsidize shit like Bravo, MSNBC(PUKE), local now(?), ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNEWS, Fox News, CNBC, UNIVERSO(I don't even speak spanish), E!, Disney, NBC GOLF(I don't have a problem sleeping), etc., etc., etc...

At $1.00 each, I see about $4.00 worth of channels on that list that I'd even care to have.

$35.00/month for that package is highway robbery IMO.
EastFlorida
6/4/2017 5:46pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2017 5:48pm
I pay $60/mo for internet 100MBPS, pay $50 for NBC Gold and I can watch anything I choose.... Get Kodi for your PC... A little bit of a learning curve, but I enjoy it. I've been w/o cable for years. Locat TV over an antenna is a better pic anyways...

RandyS
6/4/2017 5:50pm

Hut wrote:
No Mav?
No AMC?
6/4/2017 5:57pm

rancor19 wrote:
This may be a little off-topic but... 44 channels for $35/mo. works out to about $.80 per channel. Ever ask yourself why you can't just pay...
This may be a little off-topic but...

44 channels for $35/mo. works out to about $.80 per channel. Ever ask yourself why you can't just pay $.80(or even $1.00) each for the channels you actually want? Why do I need to subsidize shit like Bravo, MSNBC(PUKE), local now(?), ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNEWS, Fox News, CNBC, UNIVERSO(I don't even speak spanish), E!, Disney, NBC GOLF(I don't have a problem sleeping), etc., etc., etc...

At $1.00 each, I see about $4.00 worth of channels on that list that I'd even care to have.

$35.00/month for that package is highway robbery IMO.
Pretty solid points you make, I personally would only want CBS sports to watch MXGP, FS1&2 to watch supercross, and NBC sports to watch 2nd motors from the nationals. I could really do without the other "filler" channels but I guess there's no way around it they to have package them all together.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
6/4/2017 6:06pm
kburgie wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/06/04/198953/s1200_Screen_Shot_2017_06_04_at_2.30.55_PM.jpg[/img] The complaint that I read over and over is that you want to do a thing the way you have always done it, and because...

- Bill O'hanlon
You forgot to add in the price of internet. $100 dollars a month where I live, only one option. Thats $1,200 a year added to your...
You forgot to add in the price of internet. $100 dollars a month where I live, only one option. Thats $1,200 a year added to your figures, which makes it over $2,000 a year total. I pay $165 a month for cable and internet, with extra sports package ($10 month, no MAVTV available here). That's less than your figures and I don't have to deal with my wife and kids trying to figure out a new system. Cable cutting doesn't make sense for everyone.
Specially for you. Since you have posted on vital, you have been the victim. No body has it as bad as you and your cable/internet situation. I really think NBC owes you a apology and a refund.

Post a reply to: Angry cable customers, please read.

The Latest