And they say that 4 strokes are hard to start...

huck
Edited Date/Time 4/10/2014 7:54am
I decided to go riding last weekend...first time my bike has been off the stand (or started) since mid-septemeber.

I get to the track and unload...

I'm nervous about it starting, as it had the same gas in it since September (91 octane pump gas). I turn the fuel on, pull the choke out, and turn the throttle 2 times....I give her a kick, and it fires right up!!! Then sputters and dies out.... Another kick, and it's idling perfect!

After I let it warm up, I hit the track and knock the cobwebs off, both me and the bike.

God, I love my 4 stroke!
|
TRON
4/9/2014 7:02am
I took my nearly new but new to me YZ250 out last weekend that hadn't been started since November. It fired up first kick. No need to worry if it will start since it's a smoker... Silly
Outsider
4/9/2014 7:12am
Yep, crf's are rock solid!
Grizz
4/9/2014 7:24am
I have a 1981 Honda XL185 that starts first kick more often than not Tongue
4/9/2014 7:25am
I never had trouble starting my CRF450 cold (unless it was either bad fuel or sparkplug). Once hot though, it's usually not keen to start too easy.

The Shop

DoctorJD
4/9/2014 7:29am
My bike (YZ250) is usually a one-kick start--two at the most--no matter how long its been sitting.
jasonward73
4/9/2014 7:33am
So you take the time to load up and drive to a track with a bike that's been siting for about 6 months without giving her the once over in your garage? I don't know what level you ride at but it seems pretty risky to crank her up then rip around a MX track without some basic checks. Tire pressure, fresh oil, lube chain, fresh air filter, and at the very least just crank her up in the driveway to make sure you don't waste your time loading up, driving to track, and paying for practice.

Maybe I am just a little to OCD.
huck
4/9/2014 7:40am
So you take the time to load up and drive to a track with a bike that's been siting for about 6 months without giving her...
So you take the time to load up and drive to a track with a bike that's been siting for about 6 months without giving her the once over in your garage? I don't know what level you ride at but it seems pretty risky to crank her up then rip around a MX track without some basic checks. Tire pressure, fresh oil, lube chain, fresh air filter, and at the very least just crank her up in the driveway to make sure you don't waste your time loading up, driving to track, and paying for practice.

1. I oiled the chain, checked the oil, and inflated the tires before I hit the track. (I never said I didn't do any of these)
2. I don't pay for practice (that's my dozer in the picture, so he lets me ride for 'free').
3. They are having their first ever state series race this weekend...so last weekend was a work weekend, but I took my bike to do a few laps. If it didn't start, no big loss, as my main concern was helping him get ready for the big race this weekend.
JBernard_401
4/9/2014 7:42am Edited Date/Time 4/9/2014 7:42am
i'll show this to the 2 separate people at the track next to me last weekend. both hand yzf's. one was an 09 and the other brand new. tried kicking on them for 5min no luck, put it on the stand kicked on it, no luck, tried to PUSH start it (HAHAHA yeah right) no luck, finally let out a huge backfire flame and finally start after the guy threw his 400$ shoei helmet on the ground out of anger.

took my 250sx off the stand. 1 kick every time. isnt mx about having fun? i think i'll take my 215# cheap and fun mx bike over a 240# complicated heavy POS that handles like farm equipment.
jasonward73
4/9/2014 7:46am
So you take the time to load up and drive to a track with a bike that's been siting for about 6 months without giving her...

huck wrote:
1. I oiled the chain, checked the oil, and inflated the tires before I hit the track. (I never said I didn't do any of these)...
1. I oiled the chain, checked the oil, and inflated the tires before I hit the track. (I never said I didn't do any of these)
2. I don't pay for practice (that's my dozer in the picture, so he lets me ride for 'free').
3. They are having their first ever state series race this weekend...so last weekend was a work weekend, but I took my bike to do a few laps. If it didn't start, no big loss, as my main concern was helping him get ready for the big race this weekend.
Fair enough... Having not even taking the time or effort to kick her over would lead me to believe you wouldn't of done those other more tedious tasks. But you know what that say about making assumptions.
huck
4/9/2014 7:51am

huck wrote:
1. I oiled the chain, checked the oil, and inflated the tires before I hit the track. (I never said I didn't do any of these)...
Fair enough... Having not even taking the time or effort to kick her over would lead me to believe you wouldn't of done those other more...
Fair enough... Having not even taking the time or effort to kick her over would lead me to believe you wouldn't of done those other more tedious tasks. But you know what that say about making assumptions.
I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid... Wink
huck
4/9/2014 7:53am
Farm equipment? lol You 2 stroke guys are hard core.

When I'm riding my complicated heavy POS and having fun....I'll think about you while you're changing plugs and top ends....
IWreckALot
4/9/2014 7:57am
I've only owned Yamahas but my 08 Yz450f kicked over on the first kick every time. No matter how long it set it was like old faithful. I always gave my other buddies that ride KX's and CRF's a hard time because they'd have to kick more than once. I called it my one kick wonder.

Now I'm on a Yz250 smoker and it also fires on the first kick pretty regularly.

I enjoyed both bikes but I am faster on the 2 stroke. I don't understand why so many guys want to bash a 4 stroke though. My bike lasted me 5 years before any engine work had to be done on it. Some people prefer different characteristics out of their bikes. I can dig that.
huck
4/9/2014 7:59am
IWreckALot wrote:
I've only owned Yamahas but my 08 Yz450f kicked over on the first kick every time. No matter how long it set it was like old...
I've only owned Yamahas but my 08 Yz450f kicked over on the first kick every time. No matter how long it set it was like old faithful. I always gave my other buddies that ride KX's and CRF's a hard time because they'd have to kick more than once. I called it my one kick wonder.

Now I'm on a Yz250 smoker and it also fires on the first kick pretty regularly.

I enjoyed both bikes but I am faster on the 2 stroke. I don't understand why so many guys want to bash a 4 stroke though. My bike lasted me 5 years before any engine work had to be done on it. Some people prefer different characteristics out of their bikes. I can dig that.

Exactly! Can't we all just get along?
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
4/9/2014 8:12am
Sweet, huck. Nice Track too.
Big Lenny
4/9/2014 8:24am
That's a pretty nice spot, you wanna trade that Dozer for the cash when you lose?...
huck
4/9/2014 8:30am Edited Date/Time 4/9/2014 8:35am
Big Lenny wrote:
That's a pretty nice spot, you wanna trade that Dozer for the cash when you lose?...
The dozer needs new undercarriage... I think I can get by with new sprockets and bushings...turns out...that'll run just about $2,000. I may add a sticker that says "Thanks Big Lenny" on the back of it....
CR250Rider
4/9/2014 8:45am
Big Lenny wrote:
huck wrote:
The dozer needs new undercarriage... I think I can get by with new sprockets and bushings...turns out...that'll run just about $2,000. I may add a sticker...
The dozer needs new undercarriage... I think I can get by with new sprockets and bushings...turns out...that'll run just about $2,000. I may add a sticker that says "Thanks Big Lenny" on the back of it....
You think he's going to pay?

should be interesting!
jeffro503
4/9/2014 8:50am
Big Lenny wrote:
huck wrote:
The dozer needs new undercarriage... I think I can get by with new sprockets and bushings...turns out...that'll run just about $2,000. I may add a sticker...
CR250Rider wrote:
You think he's going to pay?

should be interesting!
Lenny may talk a lot of shit.....but he's a genuine dude at heart....and if he says he's going to pay.....he'll pay. Don't let the online persona fool you....Lenny is an honest OG MX'er , always has been.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
4/9/2014 9:14am
I think all bikes have their times when they are pains. My yz125 is having a weird month. Took it to a race a few weeks ago, went to start it before practice, about 30 kicks I decided the spark plug must be bad. So I put a new one in. Still wouldn't start, so desperate to try anything I put the old one back in. it started about 10 kicks. This week I went to start it and it wouldn't start again, so i put the new plug in again and it started with a few kicks.
I don't know what it is. It doesn't usually do this and it starts once it is started once and ran.
Socket946
4/9/2014 9:22am
i'll show this to the 2 separate people at the track next to me last weekend. both hand yzf's. one was an 09 and the other...
i'll show this to the 2 separate people at the track next to me last weekend. both hand yzf's. one was an 09 and the other brand new. tried kicking on them for 5min no luck, put it on the stand kicked on it, no luck, tried to PUSH start it (HAHAHA yeah right) no luck, finally let out a huge backfire flame and finally start after the guy threw his 400$ shoei helmet on the ground out of anger.

took my 250sx off the stand. 1 kick every time. isnt mx about having fun? i think i'll take my 215# cheap and fun mx bike over a 240# complicated heavy POS that handles like farm equipment.
Threw his 400$ helmet on the ground out of anger? Do people really get that upset these days?

Good god...Lighten up bro
Socket946
4/9/2014 9:23am
I think all bikes have their times when they are pains. My yz125 is having a weird month. Took it to a race a few weeks...
I think all bikes have their times when they are pains. My yz125 is having a weird month. Took it to a race a few weeks ago, went to start it before practice, about 30 kicks I decided the spark plug must be bad. So I put a new one in. Still wouldn't start, so desperate to try anything I put the old one back in. it started about 10 kicks. This week I went to start it and it wouldn't start again, so i put the new plug in again and it started with a few kicks.
I don't know what it is. It doesn't usually do this and it starts once it is started once and ran.
Check stator, spark, and CDI. Sounds like weak spark or issue with timing.
JBernard_401
4/9/2014 9:28am
i'll show this to the 2 separate people at the track next to me last weekend. both hand yzf's. one was an 09 and the other...

Socket946 wrote:
Threw his 400$ helmet on the ground out of anger? Do people really get that upset these days?

kid you not! guy was pissed! his buddy was on a yz250 and they both tried to start at the same time, the 250 started up in a few kicks and he though his buddy was right behind him so he went out. 4T guy must have kicked that bike 200 times.
i guess what makes it worse on the 4T is that theres no real indication on whats going on wrong sound wise. just always sounds the same, like its about to start. but it didnt lol.
huck
4/9/2014 9:30am

Socket946 wrote:

kid you not! guy was pissed! his buddy was on a yz250 and they both tried to start at the same time, the 250 started up...
kid you not! guy was pissed! his buddy was on a yz250 and they both tried to start at the same time, the 250 started up in a few kicks and he though his buddy was right behind him so he went out. 4T guy must have kicked that bike 200 times.
i guess what makes it worse on the 4T is that theres no real indication on whats going on wrong sound wise. just always sounds the same, like its about to start. but it didnt lol.
What's a 4T?
JBernard_401
4/9/2014 9:35am
a '4T' is a common denomination used by people to describe a bike that if has problems, shows up on craigslist parted out. for 1000$. usually ridden by people that think splatter green graphics and red brake lines look good.
huck
4/9/2014 9:48am
a '4T' is a common denomination used by people to describe a bike that if has problems, shows up on craigslist parted out. for 1000$. usually...
a '4T' is a common denomination used by people to describe a bike that if has problems, shows up on craigslist parted out. for 1000$. usually ridden by people that think splatter green graphics and red brake lines look good.
Obviously you don't have kids...my son "made/designed" those on decal works website and got those for me for Christmas. I apologize if they aren't to your liking. Had he gotten me pink with purple polka-dots, I would have put them on too.

And again, what does 4T stand for? 4 toke?
JBernard_401
4/9/2014 9:52am
with 15K post i would hope youve seen the term '4T' and '2T' before
huck
4/9/2014 9:54am
with 15K post i would hope youve seen the term '4T' and '2T' before
I've seen it, but the morons that use it (mostly 2 stroke fanboys) have yet to tell me what it means....Maybe by the time I get to 15,000, one of the idiots that use that term can explain to me why they do... wouldn't 4S and 2S be much more accurate?
JBernard_401
4/9/2014 10:01am
so much angst over 2 letters. interesting.
guess the term '4T' upsets the keyboard warrior beginner riders that have way to much time on here.
huck
4/9/2014 10:05am
Who's angry, Bro?

Beginner rider? Hmm, that's interesting that you've come to that conclusion. May I ask how you determined that, or will that result in you making fun of other Christmas gifts from my son?

BTW, it's "*too much time on here".
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
4/9/2014 10:24am
Outsider wrote:
Yep, crf's are rock solid!
Unless it's a 2004 CRF 250. After too short of a period you could barely start those by pulling them behind a truck. By far and away, the worst starting bike I've ever owned. But, to be fair, for the hour or so after adjusting the valves, I loved the bike.

Post a reply to: And they say that 4 strokes are hard to start...

The Latest