Anaheim 1: EXCELLENT Track Layout

bullpen58
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 10:04am
Sure, it could be wider in a lot of places but personally, I think the "easy" (aka, non-technical) layout made for killer RACING. I want to see RACING. I'm sick and tired of the cookie-cutter SX tracks where whomever is fastest through the whoops laps up to second (even after seven crashes and a trip to the Asterisk Medical Unit for an IV). Tonight's so-called "easy" track sure did have a lot of guys crashing. Know why? Because they were RACING!!!!

The fastest guy is gonna win no matter what. I believe RC said that (no shit). The track can be full of jumps, whoops, flat, mud, hilly, sandy, rocky, rutted, or whatever and the fastest guy will still win.

I just wanted to commend Feld/Dirt Werx/David Bailey's Dad/whomever made that track. Dirt looked killer. They prepped it perfectly. Layout made for lots of bar banging action. KUDOS!!!!
|
JJO741
Fantasy
3035th
1/7/2012 10:58pm
i agree. The layout was awesome.
cmess77
1/7/2012 11:02pm
Over 1 minute lap times as well. No regular SX had that last year I don't think. Irregular one's being Daytona and Vegas.
Octane
1/7/2012 11:03pm
bullpen58 wrote:
Sure, it could be wider in a lot of places but personally, I think the "easy" (aka, non-technical) layout made for killer RACING. I want to...
Sure, it could be wider in a lot of places but personally, I think the "easy" (aka, non-technical) layout made for killer RACING. I want to see RACING. I'm sick and tired of the cookie-cutter SX tracks where whomever is fastest through the whoops laps up to second (even after seven crashes and a trip to the Asterisk Medical Unit for an IV). Tonight's so-called "easy" track sure did have a lot of guys crashing. Know why? Because they were RACING!!!!

The fastest guy is gonna win no matter what. I believe RC said that (no shit). The track can be full of jumps, whoops, flat, mud, hilly, sandy, rocky, rutted, or whatever and the fastest guy will still win.

I just wanted to commend Feld/Dirt Werx/David Bailey's Dad/whomever made that track. Dirt looked killer. They prepped it perfectly. Layout made for lots of bar banging action. KUDOS!!!!
No I'm sorry Bullpen, I think the track sucked. It was very boring........ and you call what you saw tonight as "killer racing"??? I beg to differ. The only thing that was a step in a positive direction were the 1min lap times and that's about it.

The Shop

Dirt_Dawg
Fantasy
2758th
1/7/2012 11:04pm Edited Date/Time 1/8/2012 5:51am
You liked it and most of the riders hated it, what gives? To me tracks was too tight and slow, A1 was boring to watch.
JJO741
Fantasy
3035th
1/7/2012 11:05pm Edited Date/Time 1/7/2012 11:05pm
Maybe it seems different on tv but I heard many people (fans) complementing the track during practice and night show.
Matt Wozney
1/7/2012 11:06pm
Definitely different from the cookie cutters we're used to. Tight racing, yes. Just no fast sections. Almost like a snail's pace at times when there's no battling going on.
TerryK
I liked it. It was technical and had no flow....which is good.
ropeahoe
bullpen58 wrote:
Sure, it could be wider in a lot of places but personally, I think the "easy" (aka, non-technical) layout made for killer RACING. I want to...

Yeah, I agree. Who's to say that whoops should always be the separator. Why not these weird turns, 90 degree turns and split lane combos be the separator.
Hank_Thrill
1/7/2012 11:07pm Edited Date/Time 1/7/2012 11:10pm
I concur.

I like how the layout slowed down the speed of a normal supercross track. Seemed like a good way to tame the powerful bikes and decrease the odds of season ending injuries (something I don't want to see this year).

It also forced riders to get creative. Normally these guys have the tracks figured out by the end of first practice, but people were figuring out new lines all night long (e.g., Tomac's triple out of the corner).
Rewindcaz
Fantasy
3116th
1/7/2012 11:08pm
I liked it to an extent. I like that they changed it up and tried some new stuff -- the multiple off camber singles were neat. Maybe if the track was wider there'd have been more lines for passing? Either way, I thought the layout made for some cool footage on TV.
mojoman42
1/7/2012 11:09pm
bullpen58 wrote:

No shit the fastest guy is gonna win no matter what. That's the definition of a win: you cross the finish line before anyone else. Hence, you went faster than the rest of competition for the set amount of laps. ffs captain obvious...
1/7/2012 11:17pm
I liked that the lap times were long, we need way more of that this year, and i did like a couple of the sections, however i thought the slow switchbacks weren't the greatest. I understand that no flow makes for slower tighter racing, but if we could get away from these cookie cutter tracks i believe we could have some good flowy tracks. Because in my opinion if i was someone who didnt know too much about the sport, watching js7 go 3,3,4 and cr22 go 1,3,3 next to each other would intrigue me much more then them following each other around a weird switchback section and no real rythym section.
FHKRacingZ
1/7/2012 11:20pm
Very boring and to much one line follow over the inside or hump racing. No corners that allowed for some bar banging except for after the finish line but the gay hump before it did not allow people to setup good for it. Let down in my opinion.
Hut
1/7/2012 11:26pm Edited Date/Time 1/7/2012 11:27pm
I thought the track was alright different for sure. Some guys seemed to be able to pass alright. Might have looked different live I watched on TV.
1/7/2012 11:37pm Edited Date/Time 1/7/2012 11:38pm
Just curious... Were any of you guys actually at the race? Just got home from the race and most of the people I spoke to at the races said the track sucked... Probably the worst track I have ever seen. Looked like one super long narrow jumpy arena cross track with a big ol' conga line of riders.

Reed said it best after his heat win when he apologized to the crowd and said he was sorry they weren't going to get a good race because of the track layout...
ropeahoe
1/7/2012 11:38pm
FHKRacingZ wrote:
Very boring and to much one line follow over the inside or hump racing. No corners that allowed for some bar banging except for after the...
Very boring and to much one line follow over the inside or hump racing. No corners that allowed for some bar banging except for after the finish line but the gay hump before it did not allow people to setup good for it. Let down in my opinion.
no, best thing they could do is experiment, sometimes good, sometimes bad. Feld, here is an idea, make two of the track this year all sand and two completely hard pack. You would see different riders excel which would be good for the fans.....whoops, rhythm, rhythm, whoops, 180, getting old.
JJO741
Fantasy
3035th
1/7/2012 11:38pm
Watching it live was awesome. I'm watching the replay right now and it is unreal how much faster the riders are when you watch them in person. T.V. doesn't do it justice. There were a LOT of battles going on in both mains that the camera probably didn't pick up. Lot of passing for posistion too. I have to reiterate how much I liked this track and I hope Dirt wurx makes more tracks like these in the future.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4408th
1/7/2012 11:43pm
Definitely was not the same old jump, jump, 180 bowl, jump, jump, 90 bowl track.
RealityZ
1/7/2012 11:43pm
I appreciate how the track was slowed down, but the rollers in the corners and short whoops is not a step forward
JJO741
Fantasy
3035th
1/7/2012 11:44pm
Just curious... Were any of you guys actually at the race? Just got home from the race and most of the people I spoke to at...
Just curious... Were any of you guys actually at the race? Just got home from the race and most of the people I spoke to at the races said the track sucked... Probably the worst track I have ever seen. Looked like one super long narrow jumpy arena cross track with a big ol' conga line of riders.

Reed said it best after his heat win when he apologized to the crowd and said he was sorry they weren't going to get a good race because of the track layout...

Here's my proof...
EvanR127
1/7/2012 11:44pm Edited Date/Time 1/7/2012 11:45pm
IMO I hated it and I was there! Too slow/tight and easy.
1/7/2012 11:48pm
Just curious... Were any of you guys actually at the race? Just got home from the race and most of the people I spoke to at...

This. especially on the reed part. I dig that guy and his ability to call it like he see's it.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/7/2012 11:50pm
The riders weren't fans. Chad was pretty outspoken about it, saying that if he was going to ride singletrack, he'd rather be on a mountain bike. Even Dungey was pretty vocal that he didn't like it. You'll hear more from those guys soon.

It's tough. It sure looked like they're trying to slow things down, so that the lap times aren't in the 40-second range. But it's atypical of what they've been training for.
AUS_Twisted
1/7/2012 11:50pm
Definitely not my kind of track, I don't mind slower sections and all but when there's continuous sections it gets over the top
mojoman42
1/7/2012 11:56pm
GuyB wrote:
The riders weren't fans. Chad was pretty outspoken about it, saying that if he was going to ride singletrack, he'd rather be on a mountain bike...
The riders weren't fans. Chad was pretty outspoken about it, saying that if he was going to ride singletrack, he'd rather be on a mountain bike. Even Dungey was pretty vocal that he didn't like it. You'll hear more from those guys soon.

It's tough. It sure looked like they're trying to slow things down, so that the lap times aren't in the 40-second range. But it's atypical of what they've been training for.
The solution is so easy. Have a 20 min + 2 lap main. Instead, they choose the complicated option and muck around with the track layout.
level
1/8/2012 12:00am
I have to disagree on the track layout.

It was awkward, slow, nothing like a typical Supercross track. It was easy, not very technical. It definitely leveled the playing field.

However, they did go outside what we are used to and we all been bitching about having something different but I wasn't a big fan. It made me appreciate the more typical Supercross tracks with tough rhythm sections and long, touch whoop sections.

Post a reply to: Anaheim 1: EXCELLENT Track Layout

The Latest