Amazing KTM 250 SXF stock close to 43 ponies

DrSweden
Edited Date/Time 12/31/2012 8:26am
I remember when they came 04, and was pushing 30 (the numbers varies, I'm reading from high twenties up to mid thirties tops), and now the KTM is close to 43!!! Damn, this is close to 250 smoker numbers. I really doubt at this point a stock smoker would give any advantage anywhere? Loamy sand? I guess there's some weight benefits with the smoker though?

If the stocker have 43, what are the number of the factory bikes? 47? Smokers can be pushed to close 60 hp, but rideable?

Thoughts?
|
12/28/2012 12:27pm
The first thing I think of is that the 150SX makes the same power and weighs 25lbs less. There will come a point when that 14,000rpm powerband is even harder to ride than a 250 two stroke.
12/28/2012 12:27pm
DrSweden wrote:
I remember when they came 04, and was pushing 30 (the numbers varies, I'm reading from high twenties up to mid thirties tops), and now the...
I remember when they came 04, and was pushing 30 (the numbers varies, I'm reading from high twenties up to mid thirties tops), and now the KTM is close to 43!!! Damn, this is close to 250 smoker numbers. I really doubt at this point a stock smoker would give any advantage anywhere? Loamy sand? I guess there's some weight benefits with the smoker though?

If the stocker have 43, what are the number of the factory bikes? 47? Smokers can be pushed to close 60 hp, but rideable?

Thoughts?
the 250 smokers are rideable, with people who know how to ride them. the current crop of riders aside from stewart, poto, windam dont know how to ride a 250 2 stroke. And definitely not the 250f riders
12/28/2012 12:30pm Edited Date/Time 12/28/2012 12:32pm
DrSweden wrote:
I remember when they came 04, and was pushing 30 (the numbers varies, I'm reading from high twenties up to mid thirties tops), and now the...

Thoughts?
twosmoke30 wrote:
the 250 smokers are rideable, with people who know how to ride them. the current crop of riders aside from stewart, poto, windam dont know how...
the 250 smokers are rideable, with people who know how to ride them. the current crop of riders aside from stewart, poto, windam dont know how to ride a 250 2 stroke. And definitely not the 250f riders
villopoto never raced a two-stroke professionally. stewart, windham, reed, Byrne and Wey are the last guys on the line who raced 250Ts.

I'm sure those 250SXFs will sound good behind Tomacs Honda and Baggett's Kawi though.

The Shop

DrSweden
12/28/2012 12:46pm
DrSweden wrote:

Thoughts?
twosmoke30 wrote:
the 250 smokers are rideable, with people who know how to ride them. the current crop of riders aside from stewart, poto, windam dont know how...
As a concept, I really think the smokers are superior, and in an equal pro cc series, the smoker would have evolved to any necessary means, and most likely be superior, or at least as good. But I just doubt that a guy like Stewart mounting a SX250 would do that much better than he would on 250SXF (both stockers)?

Damn, if only KTM could do a 250 shootout with Rozcen riding both at Lommel and Teutschenthal...

I hate that Cairoli didn't get a chance to rider the smoker two years ago, and the last race...
Flatliner
12/28/2012 1:10pm
slipdog wrote:
No they don't
Not even at the crank? They pulled these hp numbers from someplace.
12/28/2012 1:16pm
slipdog wrote:
No they don't
Flatliner wrote:
There actually was a guy who came on here recently who dyno'd a new one and it didn't make anywhere near 43 to the tire. it barely made more than the CRF250 of the same year
DrSweden
12/28/2012 1:17pm
slipdog wrote:
No they don't
Flatliner wrote:
It's pretty easy to say no without adding any info whatsoever... These dynos' they do are pretty hard to understand since no one know if the dyno in question is adequate.
Lone Wolf
12/28/2012 1:41pm
twosmoke30 wrote:
If the pros were all forced back onto two strokes, I doubt the results would change. I think it is naive to say the younger guys could not adapt. 250 two strokes are "rideable," but the four strokes are more so.
bigborefan
12/28/2012 3:26pm
It's pretty funny to hear you guys say a 2-stroke is "rideable". Of course there frickin rideable. People been riding them for what, 40 years now?

I must admit, my dirt riding is off-road focused these days. Still plenty of 2 Smokes out there weaving thru the trees.

Anyone ever ride a 300KTM? That bike rides itself.
exsarg
12/28/2012 4:38pm
twosmoke30 wrote:
Lone Wolf wrote:
If the pros were all forced back onto two strokes, I doubt the results would change. I think it is naive to say the younger guys...
If the pros were all forced back onto two strokes, I doubt the results would change. I think it is naive to say the younger guys could not adapt. 250 two strokes are "rideable," but the four strokes are more so.
dynos are all different. mxa s dyno shows the highest numbers of any dyno in the world. my fresh 07 yz 450dynoed at 39 hp.
jleews6
12/28/2012 4:56pm
You can get a dyno to read what ever you want. What I want to know is that how come if all these 250 two strokes make so much more power then how come you dont see guys running much faster lap times on them?Smile
12/28/2012 5:05pm Edited Date/Time 12/28/2012 5:05pm
jleews6 wrote:
You can get a dyno to read what ever you want. What I want to know is that how come if all these 250 two strokes...
You can get a dyno to read what ever you want. What I want to know is that how come if all these 250 two strokes make so much more power then how come you dont see guys running much faster lap times on them?Smile
Are you insinuating that lap times have a direct correlation to horsepower?

You're that guy, leaning on the fence at the track, who just starts talking, and the collective IQ of the immediate area drops drastically, forcing people to frantically run back to their tail gates.
slipdog
12/28/2012 5:53pm
jleews6 wrote:
You can get a dyno to read what ever you want. What I want to know is that how come if all these 250 two strokes...
This is correct.

The correction factor can be adjusted to make it seem like a bike is making more power than it really does. If I had to guess, I'd say MXA is using a dyno that belongs to a company in the aftermarket performance business. If xyz's exhaust system makes an extra 1.5hp on a '13 CRF 250, what sounds better?

"With just our exhaust alone the '13 CRF 250 makes 39.94hp" (MXA's stock 38.44 + 1.5)
or
"With just our exhaust alone the '13 CRF 250 makes 33.08hp" (The new bone stock '13 CRF I dyno tested at 31.58hp + 1.5)
jhansen510
Fantasy
3595th
12/28/2012 6:46pm
jleews6 wrote:
125 wrote:
Are you insinuating that lap times have a direct correlation to horsepower? You're that guy, leaning on the fence at the track, who just starts talking...
Are you insinuating that lap times have a direct correlation to horsepower?

You're that guy, leaning on the fence at the track, who just starts talking, and the collective IQ of the immediate area drops drastically, forcing people to frantically run back to their tail gates.
Judging by your post history that would be you my friend!
12/28/2012 6:55pm
I have enough trouble getting the same tire pressure numbers from 2 quality pressure guages. Dynos are even more all over the place.

Why do so many people think that today's riders couldn't ride a 2T? A good rider could ride a 3 stroke, shopping cart with a dell'orto carb, and a clutch soaked in cooking oil.
JJO741
Fantasy
3035th
12/28/2012 7:08pm
twosmoke30 wrote:
Don't know how to ride 2 strokes? Wow. I know you don't post about anything unless it is about how fucking incredible 2 strokes are and how 4 strokes suck, but that was an extremely stupid comment. What makes you think the best riders in the world wouldn't be able to ride a 2 stroke? Contrary to your belief, it is not that difficult to ride a 2 stroke.
12/28/2012 7:12pm
All this talk about 2T being so difficult to ride. Imagine having to ride a 60cc 2T, or an 85cc 2T, 125, 250, 500. One exception the Suzi TM400 of course. How the heck did we do it but today's riders couldn't do it because they haven't done it on the nationals???
mynewcr250
12/28/2012 7:42pm Edited Date/Time 12/28/2012 7:50pm
DrSweden wrote:

Thoughts?
twosmoke30 wrote:
DrSweden wrote:
As a concept, I really think the smokers are superior, and in an equal pro cc series, the smoker would have evolved to any necessary means...
As a concept, I really think the smokers are superior, and in an equal pro cc series, the smoker would have evolved to any necessary means, and most likely be superior, or at least as good. But I just doubt that a guy like Stewart mounting a SX250 would do that much better than he would on 250SXF (both stockers)?

Damn, if only KTM could do a 250 shootout with Rozcen riding both at Lommel and Teutschenthal...

I hate that Cairoli didn't get a chance to rider the smoker two years ago, and the last race...
the Doctors got it right on Cairoli, i was so disappointed to see how everything unfolded. whether he won or lost wouldnt even be the big deal to me, it would be just he idea that the best guy out there is giving us a show on the 2 stroke.

whats kind of nice about the 250f numbers getting so high, eventually the AMA is gonna run out of excuses to keep the current displacement rules in place as the HP numbers are gonna be so close.

Another thing though on the 250 vs 250f debate is that there really shouldnt be that big of a difference between the bikes in terms of HP to lap time relation. i mean you see 250f's post the fastest laps of the night plenty of times vs the much more powerful 450's. there was a guy that breaks the lap times down during the races and his graphs show tomac/barcia/whatever post faster lap times than dungey did on the 450, and when they werent faster they were only a second or so behind.

125 is right that the 150sx is in the range of the 250f in terms of peak power but the spread advantage is so far to the 4 strokes side that it really is unfair except for the most precise small bore pilots. the 250 2 stroke should really be considered the small bore, they should make a ridable 450 with a broad spread (think electric PV with extreme porting that would make a mechanically controlled PV unfavorable for the application) to compete with the 450 4 strokes. the 125 should be considered a "mini" imo since they have more of a mini bike type power spread.

IMO, even if the 250sxf doesnt make 43hp, using MXA back to back reviews at least gives you an idea of about how much it improved over last year.
themrtoad
12/29/2012 2:45am
You have to be impressed by the power that 250 4strokes makes these days, if you compare them to 4strokes that is.

I think I've read somewhere that in the process of making the new alu-framed CR250 they tried different engines, of which some created bizarre figures in the dyno. Without regards to torque and character suited for mx a 250 2stroke can easily reach the same hp as a 500 2stroke (HP, not torque)

A good rider on a 250 twostrokes has no excuses to loose out against a 250f on the startstraight. Excepts for Poto in Budds Creek at mxon, I don't see the smokes giving away to many starts. In SX the startstraight is so short so it'smore of a lottery there I think.

Just for comparsion... a factory 125 roadracing bike pushes close to 60hp. A factory 125 mx makes 40hp+ at the backwheel.

I would like to see cc vs cc in mx/sx. If you also combine the FIM WC and ama nationals we would have a product to be proud of, and also a more marketable product.
mmcmx
12/29/2012 4:28am
Those numbers are bs. No stocker is even close to 40hp. Actually it's pretty hard to get there even with the full list of goods.
Lowlander
12/29/2012 4:44am
Regardless of HP numbers on a dyno.

The only fair way to test the numbers is to have all the bikes on the same dyno on the same day. Then you can see the real difference between them.

I for one would believe motorcycle usa numbers of around the 37/38 mark. Most of the 250f's I have seen on the dyno put out around 33-35 stock. With a typical exhaust, cams and some porting work the high 30's is within reach. The 2012 KTM I seen tested last year put out 34.?hp. So with the claimed 5hp gain the we could be looking at the 38/39 mark which was what a 12 had with the typical after market mods worth around 2000 dollars.

I do not believe that they are capable of 43 hp except at GP/AMA top 10 level. Takes a lot of work to increase a bikes performance by 20-25%. One of the local lads over here had Pro Circuit completely mod his Kwak 250f with B kit suspension and just about every bolt on and head mod that can be done by pro circuit. It made just over 40hp on the dyno from the base line 35.? something. But it also was dead at the bottom losing 3hp up until the mid range where it took off. It was a healthy 4hp up at 10500rpm and stayed that way to the power dropped off.

The bike reminded me of the KTM 200 sx in terms of Raw power (which to me is the best 2 stroke engine made for a weekend warrior). Certainly could be raced against any modern 250 2 stroke and not be at a disadvantage except in sheer top end HP.
enginedr
12/29/2012 8:06am
the riders that are racing these say " more bottom " , bike flys on hard pack but in loam it needs a little work to keep it lit. testing some new cams , made a big chunk in the bottom end around 6500 and gained more up top.. great power curve!
DrSweden
12/30/2012 2:48pm
This thread makes me confused, and I'm the moron that created it. Can someone in the know explain the bases, what happened to between the CRF250R 2004, and 2013 that gave it xx extra horsepower, and in what way does the present 5hp beefed up bike differ from what PC did to old engine? Why didn't Honda beef up the engine already 2007 to what PC could do 2004 (quality I assume), and what change in material or whatever made them finally to have the guts to make it up PC 2004 standards?

I don't get these dyno figures people through out, the numbers varies up to 10 hp, and seems both figures are almost valid to print? I understand science can be a bitch, but a dyno should be pretty simple to calibrate on a weekly bases (put up a electrical motor creating fix hp as a base, that sucker will continue spitting out the same HP for ages. How come MXA can loose so big on such a simple task?
Lightning78
12/30/2012 4:59pm
DrSweden wrote:

Thoughts?
I saw that too and couldn't believe it even the Kawasaki comes in at just under 42 horsepower why not let the smokers compete at this point they're dead on imagine how much more horsepower factory KTM is going to get out of that bike they will probably break into the 50 horsepower mark easily..... And the biggest numbers I've ever seen on a 250 smoker was RC's CR250 it out out 56hp....
12/30/2012 7:50pm Edited Date/Time 12/30/2012 7:51pm
If you have ever looked at the formula for horsepower it might help in understanding how the KTM 250SX-F can make that kind of power:

hp = (torque * rpm) / 5252

Assuming that the torque of the motor is constant at say 15 ft/lbs and the motor peaks at 10,000 rpm that would equal 28.6 hp. Now if that same motor making the same torque were to peak at a much higher rpm, say 14,000, it would then make 40 hp. The trend is to shorten the stroke and increase the bore allowing the motor to run at higher rpms and achieve a higher calculated hp. I believe KTM did just that with their new motor. Not saying it doesn't rip but there is a little skullduggery involved...
Faceaz
12/30/2012 8:25pm
If you have ever looked at the formula for horsepower it might help in understanding how the KTM 250SX-F can make that kind of power: hp...
If you have ever looked at the formula for horsepower it might help in understanding how the KTM 250SX-F can make that kind of power:

Assuming that the torque of the motor is constant at say 15 ft/lbs and the motor peaks at 10,000 rpm that would equal 28.6 hp. Now if that same motor making the same torque were to peak at a much higher rpm, say 14,000, it would then make 40 hp. The trend is to shorten the stroke and increase the bore allowing the motor to run at higher rpms and achieve a higher calculated hp. I believe KTM did just that with their new motor. Not saying it doesn't rip but there is a little skullduggery involved...
Doesn't a longer stroke increase torque & a shorter stroke increase RPM? So, by shortening the stroke you're also decreasing torque which decreases the calculated HP? I know you're right with the trend of higher revving motors, but how are they maintaining the torque at the same time?
mynewcr250
12/30/2012 9:24pm Edited Date/Time 12/30/2012 9:27pm
If you have ever looked at the formula for horsepower it might help in understanding how the KTM 250SX-F can make that kind of power: hp...

Faceaz wrote:
Doesn't a longer stroke increase torque & a shorter stroke increase RPM? So, by shortening the stroke you're also decreasing torque which decreases the calculated HP...
Doesn't a longer stroke increase torque & a shorter stroke increase RPM? So, by shortening the stroke you're also decreasing torque which decreases the calculated HP? I know you're right with the trend of higher revving motors, but how are they maintaining the torque at the same time?
they're not, thats why the thing has to rev to 14k. little bit of torque, lots of rpm = big hp numbers
TerryK
12/30/2012 9:49pm
125 wrote:
The first thing I think of is that the 150SX makes the same power and weighs 25lbs less. There will come a point when that 14,000rpm...
The first thing I think of is that the 150SX makes the same power and weighs 25lbs less. There will come a point when that 14,000rpm powerband is even harder to ride than a 250 two stroke.
A 43 hp 150sx? Um, no.

Post a reply to: Amazing KTM 250 SXF stock close to 43 ponies

The Latest