Amateur MX racers over 30

Darryl916
6/4/2014 12:40pm Edited Date/Time 6/9/2014 10:21pm
I'm curious how those of you over 30 handle your motocross racing/riding and how it's changed over the years? How does it fit into your grown up life with parenting and career and such?

If you could answer the following:

How old?
How many years racing/riding?
Current AMA class/speed?
How has your speed changed over the years?
How often do you get to ride/race these days?

I ask because I'm curious what's realistic to expect from myself via comparison to other "vet" riders.

-I'm 31
-Been racing MX for 3 seasons
-I race +30C currently. +15 RPV is going to force me to B after this season it's looking like.
-Being fairly new to the sport, my skill is still going up although I'm not sure I want to get much faster due to risk. The extra comfort in my "safe zone" is nice though
-I try to ride either open practice or race twice a month although I rode/raced every weekend for 2 months straight at the start of this season.

|
Titan1
6/4/2014 12:45pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2014 1:30pm
-33 years old
-Riding, sporadically, since I was about 8 or 9...consistently since I was 21. Racing off road since 2009
-I race Vet B at all the AMA events. I'm in the top 10 of all B riders most of the time.
-I'm currently going faster than I ever have in my life (I'm considering moving to the A class...but I'll probably wait until I'm 35 since the local desert series has a 35 + class...but winning trophies is fun, so I might just stay B until they make move up).
-I ride once a week, and hit as many of the local desert series races as I can every year.
-I'll add that I have 4 kids...wife hates when I'm gone, but its a matter of setting an expectation and planning in advance and me being gone isn't such a big deal. The biggest challenge for me is putting my kids stuff above my races (missing races so I can be at my kids dance recital or soccer game). But I've never regretting missing a race to support them and EVERY time I miss their stuff to make a race I ALWAYS regret it. Lesson learned...family above hobbies.
6/4/2014 1:04pm
-just turned 36
-this "was" my 3rd season
-rode 13-21 events a year the past two seasons
-rode vintage on 86-89 CR 500's and vet c 30+ on 2009 CRF 450
After riding my "new" 450, the vintage bikes were really holding me back. I gained confidence and speed on the 450 which transferred to the vintage classes. My son rode 50 trail for the 2012-2013 seasons so my family was along and participating, he is the 2013 50 trail champ. I finished 4th overall in vet 30+ for 2013 and was getting faster, I would've been bumped this year as well. I planned on another full season but blew my knee out May 11th, surgery is June 20 th. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RjQ24K8o9b0
Kryan5
6/4/2014 1:06pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2014 1:07pm
30yrs old
Raced from 5-12yrs old quit and started riding again at 25
A(back of pack), Vet A
Progressed for about 3 yrs then I felt like I plateaued and still at about that same speed
I used to follow a series, which is how I pointed out, but now I just ride when and where I want. About 3-4 times a month.
Its hard with kids(3) and knowing you have to be there for them, work, your mortgage, and all the bills, but I sure do love that cold beer after a good day of riding. You have to balance it out and be smart.
pete24
6/4/2014 1:17pm
started when i was 19
made it to the pro class
im wicked fucking slow now
ride three days a week
usually ride the second Haf of NESC which is about a 12 race series
i guess im called vet A
they should rename my class to slower than death

The Shop

bvm111
6/4/2014 1:17pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2014 1:18pm
40 yrs old
raced age 13 to 28 and had a 12 year break
decent B level flirted with A class until I broke my wrist
I have been riding again for the past 8 months and really feel i ride with MUCH better technic and control now, but, keep it in my comfort zone a minimum of once per week. meaning I might do 1 or 2 laps at speed then cruise a lap and hit the fun sections but not care if im the fastest guy anymore!!!!

Down Hill season is opening this week so trying to do saturday DH and sunday moto will be tough with a 18 mo old and teenage daughter at home, but, you can make it work!

My biggest regret is taking SO long to start riding again, even though my wife doesnt like it when im gone she says I am so different when i get home!

(i take that as not so stressed and excited about my ride)
Niloz
6/4/2014 1:22pm
I'll be 55 in a month. Raced a little bit as a kid/teenager then quit. Flash forward about 25 years and boys wanted dirt bikes so I bought one too. Decided to race an AMRA desert race on my 40th birthday and was hooked again.

Raced AMRA and Whiplash in AZ for a few years in the Sr. (40+) class and peaked at 2nd overall in 2006. Then work forced a move to Ohio. Raced hare scrambles and GNCC's then decided to try moto again. Raced D12 (when it still existed), CRA and D5 Latrobe Arenacross series. Did ok.

Now living in the Philippines and still race almost every weekend. Here they call the 40+ class the "Executive" class. Sometimes I win sometimes I lose but at least I'm not playing golf!!!

There was a dude in Ohio that was still racing hare scrambles at 67. I wanna be that guy someday.
JBlain619
6/4/2014 1:30pm
40 years old
38 riding, 28 racing
+35A and +40A
I think everyones speed decreases over the years. For me, I will back off instead of "force" something because the ground has gotten harder over the years and I also think about being at work the next day.
Generally, I just ride the practice day before the event and the event itself. I used to love to practice but not race as much because of the pressure. Now I would rather race. If I get the chance to go somewhere new, I'll go as often as possible. The great thing about being a Vet rider is that I don't "have" to race. If its a track I don't particularly care for, we won't go. If it's too hot, cold, wet, dry etc. I will just hang out and watch the kids!

I see you are from MD Darryl, if you ever want to ride, give me a shout, always looking for people to ride with!
dirtnapper
6/4/2014 2:36pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2014 2:39pm
34 years old.

Riding since I was ten, started racing when I was 22. Don't race a whole lot lately.

I race the equivalent of your ( American ) Vet B. Its called Vet Junior up here. I am a fairly consistent Top 5, sometimes Top 3 if everything goes well Wink

I honestly think I am faster now than I have ever been as an "older" rider. Just comes with confidence in my bike, and time on it. I really never ride out of my comfort zone, but lately I feel like I can push my limits more and pick up more speed. I feel like I was definitely at my fastest around 24, 25, when I had a few years of racing under my belt. My racing really dropped off in about 2009 due to finances, and my speed dropped WAY off too. Since 2011 I have been on the same bike and really feel like I have caught back up to where I was.

I only get a chance to ride two or three times a month, but I am hoping to get out a lot more now that my daughter is really fired up about motocross. I am lucky if I race twice a year now. Hope to change that soon, as there are three different series in my area that have all different class levels and races at most tracks within a few hours of me.

I like this thread Cool
hillbilly
6/4/2014 3:19pm
52, raced since 74 till tib plateau in 09. Broken more than 20 bones,legs,knees arm shoulder,neck back.

Family hated it, daughters loved it but feared I would die,about did with the neck.

Had a million $ life policy that paid itf I died racing,nice piece of mind when heading to the gate.

I'm trying to figure out how to race again,looks like flatrack.

I will build a shortrack around the sx track in my side yard i guess.
sleeve1
Fantasy
2134th
6/4/2014 4:31pm
i'm 46.
been riding since i was 14. did some racing in my twenties.
i get to ride once a week mostly trails with a practice sesion at the moto track every few weeks.
i no longer push it, mostly just enjoy the time on the bike.
i will say that my son is in my ear to try a woods race this summer...just might give it a go.
crusher773
6/4/2014 4:55pm
I'm 32
Been riding/racing for 22 years
I am a fast C to slow B rider.
I feel like my speed was climbing when I was in college then a couple close together injuries derailed me some. I feel like the knowledge I have now on what I am doing on the bike would have made me a lot faster back then. I am kind of at a plateau now but I feel like I am as fast now as I have ever been.
I get to ride and practice usually 2-5 days a month. Riding for me is easier now that my little guy is riding because him and I can just take off and go do our thing.

It sounds to me like you are just about the average guy.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
6/4/2014 5:30pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2014 5:31pm

I haven't raced in several years and my finances are such that I can hardly even ride... we're talking about once or twice a year since 2012. I am itching to get back to it though, and when I do I'll line up with the +40 Intermediates. When I get my "sea legs" back, I expect to be competitive in that class. I was one of the fast guys in +30 Intermediate here in SoCal from about 2000 to 2004 and won a few local series championships.

I am sure I am much slower now, sadly. I hope I can get it back.

No matter how old I get, I never think twice about riding to the best of my abilities. I go as fast as I can; that's what the training and practice are for. You get hurt if you half-ass it, IMHO. (Play riding is, of course, an exception.) I have more brains than skill and more skill than speed. I rarely crash.

My kids want to race, so I guess I'm in this for a long time.
EastFlorida
6/4/2014 5:49pm
Been riding since 1975
Started racing in 1980 125C
Advanced to 125 B then quit for college
Started racing again last year 30 years later!
Just advanced to B in hare scrambles
Plan on racing MX again this season

Like so many say, one you start it's hard to go completely away. I just wish I had the endurance and strength I had when younger!! I ride much more cautiously now too!
motoxxx599
Fantasy
1009th
6/4/2014 6:22pm
Riding for 30 years/Racing for 26 years
Turned pro at 18 and raced SX/MX from 98-06, plus some canadian and oversees stuff
Still ride and race as much as possible - +25 A, 450 A
Got hurt 2 years ago (broken t-4&5 when bike ran out of gas going up a big jump) and just started riding again. I can still go "fast" for 3 laps, which in the vet class is all you need to do and can coast the last 2 laps while hitting all the smooth lines and playing on the big jumps. I am definitely not as fast as i was when i was 25 but still try just as hard.

I have a daughter, a degree, and a corp job now so i cant buy a new bike every year so i try to make a bike last for 2 years. i have a buddy who does motors and suspension so he keeps my stuff pretty fresh for cheap and except for a cam, hinson clutch, and exhaust i keep it stock.

My fitness is a 1000 times better now. I started doing boxing classes 5 days a week at Title Boxing Club a year and a half ago and holy shit is that a good workout. Boxing along with running a couple days a week and road bike after work a couple days a week keeps the lbs off and the fast kids in sight
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
6/4/2014 6:23pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2014 6:39pm
im 36, i ride Vets plus 35 if they have it, (we only have one group, ill run top 3-5 depending on the competition, the MX2 champ from over here a couple of years ago is mid 40's,

I have been riding since i was 3, and racing since 8

Ill race the national class here on occasion, but i am not fit enough for the longer races, and dont really jump well enough anymore if big jumps are n the tracks, the jumping thing has really hit me in the last couple of years, i used to be able to jump near anything but now i dont,

I was a 10th to 15th national guy here 15 years ago on a 250 or 125, but injuries and concentrating on business more than racing though my mid 20's hurt my speed alot,, i normally only ride a couple of times a month, but ill do races that interest me, including motard on street courses here, 2 stroke nationals on a KX500 etc, last time i got really fit was 2006, and i rode the big international race here against guys like Smets, Coppins and Everts, I did not get lapped in a 20 minute moto so that was a win for me,
fisher725
6/4/2014 6:30pm
First rode a dirt bike when I was 15.
I currently run the +30 B/C. On the right day/track, I'm a top 5 local B rider and could even run Vet A.
I feel like I have gotten faster over the years. I've worked on my technique and think that is what helped my speed. I don't take the risks like I use to.
I try to ride at least every other weekend. I've got a 6yr old that is riding now and it is awesome to share this sport with him.

I think as long as you are having fun, that is all that matters. Ride safe and have fun.
Joe Jet
6/4/2014 7:06pm
Rode in the dessert a bit when I was between 15-19
When my oldest son was around 6 back in 2001 i started riding again and we started riding motocross tracks
My son wanted to race at Glen Helen in 02 and I brought my bike to ride around. I wanted to ride so bad I had to enter a race in order to do so and we've been hooked ever since. My younger son started riding when he was 4 the day he could ride a bicycle.
I currently race 40 Novice in SoCal with TransWorld or Intermediate with some of the other Vet clubs.
We used to ride every Wednesday and race every weekend. Since I started working in Japan half the month almost 7 years ago, we have been limited to 2-4 practices and 2 races a month.
dave489
6/4/2014 7:21pm
been riding since I was about 10 years old but I only started riding mx tracks at about 25.

I've been racing for about 3 years but nothing too serious in the Vet Jr class +30.

I try to ride twice a week but with a new baby girl it's not always easy.

bonseff
6/4/2014 7:40pm
What's realistic is to get out of it what you can put into it. Set goals, don't ride over your head and make it in to work Monday morning without too much soreness or even worse, injury. Most importantly, don't beat yourself up too much when that kid on the 125 screams by you, enjoy your time in the dirt.
Darryl916
6/4/2014 7:46pm
JBlain619 wrote:
40 years old 38 riding, 28 racing +35A and +40A I think everyones speed decreases over the years. For me, I will back off instead of...
40 years old
38 riding, 28 racing
+35A and +40A
I think everyones speed decreases over the years. For me, I will back off instead of "force" something because the ground has gotten harder over the years and I also think about being at work the next day.
Generally, I just ride the practice day before the event and the event itself. I used to love to practice but not race as much because of the pressure. Now I would rather race. If I get the chance to go somewhere new, I'll go as often as possible. The great thing about being a Vet rider is that I don't "have" to race. If its a track I don't particularly care for, we won't go. If it's too hot, cold, wet, dry etc. I will just hang out and watch the kids!

I see you are from MD Darryl, if you ever want to ride, give me a shout, always looking for people to ride with!
Budds Creek open practice this Sunday. You interested?

I race the MAMA series and a few MDRA races here and there. Will be riding Budds Creek on the National weekend Friday and racing on Sunday.
Flip109
6/4/2014 8:27pm
33 been riding since I was about 15. Rode the local A class through my mid twenties. Bout 28 decided I didn't like racing anymore so now I just ride for fun with my buds 2-4 times a month. My pace isn't much off what it used to be I ride within my limits a lot more now. Sometimes I get frisky, then I almost eat shit and it slaps me back into reality lol
Huckster
6/5/2014 3:42am
47 and been riding on and off for about the last 20 years. Started as a Teenager and raced for 1yr. Loved it but had to give it up because of Baseball. Played in college and when I got out of grad school and got a job, started riding/racing again. I am a front of the pack 40B guy when I do race but that has been far and few between the last 2-3 years. Have two kids involved in dance/sofball and the other is hockey/baseball so I have very few "free" weekend days or just days for that matter. Now my riding usually consists of Open Practices with a bunch of Vets like myself when we get the chance. My speed hasn't changed much but like most have said, I know my limits and try to stay well within them so I can drive home and go to work on Monday and still throw BP to my kids. Have to say though that I have played most of the sports and NOTHING compares to the feeling I get on a mx bike when the gate drops and even after its over. It's addicting and what keeps me going after all these years.
JBlain619
6/5/2014 7:53am
Darryl916 wrote:
Budds Creek open practice this Sunday. You interested? I race the MAMA series and a few MDRA races here and there. Will be riding Budds Creek...
Budds Creek open practice this Sunday. You interested?

I race the MAMA series and a few MDRA races here and there. Will be riding Budds Creek on the National weekend Friday and racing on Sunday.
We are heading down to Muddy Creek for the regional to help some folks out. If you don't have anything planned, come out to Happy Ramblers June 28-29 for the MDRA race. We are super easy to find, we have a snowball stand there, Ambers Ice.

bgpn35
6/5/2014 8:04am
32 and started riding at 11, made it to b class before college, went to college played baseball, parents where going to get me a 03 kx250 for graduation,told them to hold off played golf from 03 till 09, started riding again in 10 and havnt looked back, wish I would have got the bike instead of golf clubs, I feel that I am better now than I was at 18, run and ride to stay in shape
flyinb501
Fantasy
392nd
6/5/2014 10:52am Edited Date/Time 6/5/2014 10:54am
How old? 32
How many years racing/riding? Raced from the ages of 12-18, quit riding until I turned 30. This is my 3rd season back.
Current AMA class/speed? +30B, and 125 2 stroke. Usually either win or at front of the pack in the +30B. 125 2 stroke class it depends how many fast kids are there.
How has your speed changed over the years? Surprisingly after taking 12 years off, it came back pretty quick. I would say I'm not too much slower than when I was in my prime.
How often do you get to ride/race these days? I try to get out once a week, but realistically it's more like 3 times a month. I try and do about 5 races a year.

I've been married less than a year, and don't have kids. I'm afraid to see how bad kids will impact my moto time...
4stroke4DWIN
6/5/2014 11:13am
40B,
Took 15 yrs off been back riding for 2 yrs
As much as I can depends on how many sets of graphics I have to design/print lol.
Vet classes suck ass, get a smoker and run to 2stroke classes against the kids.

husky125
6/5/2014 11:21am
How old? 45
How many years racing/riding? 30
Current AMA class/speed? Vet B
How has your speed changed over the years? I've gotten considerably slower
How often do you get to ride/race these days? I ride a couple times a month if I'm lucky.
6/5/2014 11:49am
Closing hard on 53.
Been riding and racing since 1977 or so. RM125B was huge when I came into it.
AMA? How about vet spode?
I had a 20-year layoff until September 2012. When I quit, I was riding fast enough to win the 125C class and was considering moving into the B class. After being back for almost 2 years, I feel I'm close to that same speed, but nowhere near the stamina. Here's the difference too. Twenty years ago I would have done something about my stamina. Now? No matter how much I try to convince myself to start running and get with a regular program, my exercise remains sporadic and I get the most exercise when I ride/race.
How often? Haven't race since last year when I broke three ribs. I ride all the time. I do plan to race again, but will wait until we have "winter" here in Florida. I just can't take the heat and humidity anymore.
Darryl916
6/5/2014 12:03pm
This thread is great. Thank you all for sharing your moto experience. So interesting hearing you guys stories.

Keep them coming....
Titan1
6/5/2014 12:09pm
As I look at my current series (desert series, for the record)...the most popular classes are the Vet class (30+, 35+, 40+, 45+)...Should this be concerning that there just isn't a ton of "younger" kids racing? IS it because of cost? (Only us vet riders can afford to race any more), is it lack of interest in the younger generation?

Or is my series an anomaly?

Post a reply to: Amateur MX racers over 30

The Latest