Alta setup and modifications?

Johnny Depp
Edited Date/Time 11/13/2017 7:55pm
I know there are some pimped ones by now. Let's see it in one thread?

Plastics, graphics, cone valves, lhrb, chargers, flux capacitor etc. By now there should be some pretty good setup things learned, and there hasn't been too much mainstream testing. What have you done to yours?

What type of racing, training, lap time experiences have you had? Problems?

I know there have been lot's of ride reports (thanks Ben) but I'm interested in longer term ownership feedback?

|
Spizzy
11/11/2017 12:56pm
I havent done anything but sticker it up and ride it. I do have all the parts for a lefthand rear brake, but havent installed yet.
Im primarily a woods guy, but spend significant time on a small MX track at my local ride park. I am certainly faster on the Alta then my 17 350XCF.
I have been keeping this on the downlow, but at 5.3 hours the bike suffered a total loss of power as my kid landed a jump during practice for a night race. We spent an hour jiggling wires and checking things over but couldnt find anything suspect. I live in Chicago and bought the bike in Alabama, and thought oh shit, Im gonna have to drive back to get a dealer to look at it, as we have no dealer here in the midwest, Alabama was closest. Anyways I emailed Alta, and they had me check a few things to no avail. So it was decided by them they were gonna send a new battery and a few other parts to me, and fly a tech from California to my house to replace the parts. So a few days later a small package arrives at my door from Alta with an Energizer lithium 9 volt battery. So I think to myself they want to make sure my TV remote works while I wait on other parts, and the tech. So I call them and talk to a woman who assures me thats the battery they think has failed. I hung up scratching my head in confusion, and she called me back an hour later explaining she was mistaken and the main/large battery was on its way. A few days later a tech arrived to change it and its been all good since.
The battery has the high voltage output, and a 12 volt output. It was determined the 12v side is what failed. They also told me theyve only had one other total loss of power so far, and that was from Darryn Durham.
Regardless the fact they were sympathetic to my long distance from a dealer was above and beyond. Ive never experienced that kind of customer service from any other company in my life. I did offer to swap the battery myself and not have them send a tech, but they were insistant their guy do it. I suspect that was probably a liability issue of me poking around the high voltage leads.
rutsmash
11/11/2017 1:06pm
Spizzy wrote:
I havent done anything but sticker it up and ride it. I do have all the parts for a lefthand rear brake, but havent installed yet...
I havent done anything but sticker it up and ride it. I do have all the parts for a lefthand rear brake, but havent installed yet.
Im primarily a woods guy, but spend significant time on a small MX track at my local ride park. I am certainly faster on the Alta then my 17 350XCF.
I have been keeping this on the downlow, but at 5.3 hours the bike suffered a total loss of power as my kid landed a jump during practice for a night race. We spent an hour jiggling wires and checking things over but couldnt find anything suspect. I live in Chicago and bought the bike in Alabama, and thought oh shit, Im gonna have to drive back to get a dealer to look at it, as we have no dealer here in the midwest, Alabama was closest. Anyways I emailed Alta, and they had me check a few things to no avail. So it was decided by them they were gonna send a new battery and a few other parts to me, and fly a tech from California to my house to replace the parts. So a few days later a small package arrives at my door from Alta with an Energizer lithium 9 volt battery. So I think to myself they want to make sure my TV remote works while I wait on other parts, and the tech. So I call them and talk to a woman who assures me thats the battery they think has failed. I hung up scratching my head in confusion, and she called me back an hour later explaining she was mistaken and the main/large battery was on its way. A few days later a tech arrived to change it and its been all good since.
The battery has the high voltage output, and a 12 volt output. It was determined the 12v side is what failed. They also told me theyve only had one other total loss of power so far, and that was from Darryn Durham.
Regardless the fact they were sympathetic to my long distance from a dealer was above and beyond. Ive never experienced that kind of customer service from any other company in my life. I did offer to swap the battery myself and not have them send a tech, but they were insistant their guy do it. I suspect that was probably a liability issue of me poking around the high voltage leads.
Although it's in their best interest to do so as they try to gain customer acceptance, it's still pretty awesome for them to do that.
R.EX
11/11/2017 1:06pm
Spizzy wrote:
I havent done anything but sticker it up and ride it. I do have all the parts for a lefthand rear brake, but havent installed yet...
Pretry outstanding customer service on Alta''s part!

I had to deal with the company on a few items in order to get the bike imported to Canada and they couldn't have been more helpful. Sadly I just got bike at the end of my riding season so nothing long term to report on.

The Shop

Spizzy
11/11/2017 1:07pm
Oh and for hatever reason when the battery was changed it reset the hour meter to 0, yet the odemeter kept the milage. I suppose thats a good thing long term, as its easily determined the amount of use the chassis has, and the battery separately.
ben990
11/13/2017 6:20am
I have had good luck with mine; over 800 miles, and 66 hours, with no issues. It still feels tight and new.

My mods have included heavier fork springs, and a heavier shock spring, and now a WP Trax shock. With these suspension modifications it works a lot better for me (220 lbs, vet intermediate rider).

I have also done the following:

skid plate
footpegs
grips
white plastic/graphics

What is up next for my Alta? Trelleborg Winter Friction tires and winter motocross! I have always ridden year round here in upstate NY, but sometimes it is a real bear to start an ICE bike when it is 20 degrees out. And if it is a 4-stroke, you sometimes have to put a heater on it for a while to get it to even think about starting. Now I will just push a button. Braaapppp! Oops, I mean Ziiinnnngggg!

pdub187
Fantasy
2544th
11/13/2017 7:52am
ben990 wrote:
I have had good luck with mine; over 800 miles, and 66 hours, with no issues. It still feels tight and new. My mods have included...
I have had good luck with mine; over 800 miles, and 66 hours, with no issues. It still feels tight and new.

My mods have included heavier fork springs, and a heavier shock spring, and now a WP Trax shock. With these suspension modifications it works a lot better for me (220 lbs, vet intermediate rider).

skid plate
footpegs
grips
white plastic/graphics

What is up next for my Alta? Trelleborg Winter Friction tires and winter motocross! I have always ridden year round here in upstate NY, but sometimes it is a real bear to start an ICE bike when it is 20 degrees out. And if it is a 4-stroke, you sometimes have to put a heater on it for a while to get it to even think about starting. Now I will just push a button. Braaapppp! Oops, I mean Ziiinnnngggg!

You can't get frozen rotor?
ben990
11/13/2017 8:07am
Frozen rotor? I don't think I have ever gotten that.

Sometimes, depending on the amount of snow and conditions, your foot pegs will ice up. When it is real cold your hands get cold, but I usually stay warm enough for two or three motos. Some pcs from last year:

seth505
Fantasy
1271st
11/13/2017 9:00am
Awesome bikes "out of the box". Just set up the suspension, change the pegs and rear brake pedal and you are golden!
Spizzy
11/13/2017 1:08pm Edited Date/Time 11/13/2017 1:09pm
Yaeh forgot about that, I did change the pegs after the first time riding it with a wet boot.
I also intend to lace up an 18 rear wheel this winter.
11/13/2017 2:04pm
What are you seeing for battery life in the woods? Would love to ride one of these in a harescramble, do you think the battery would last 2/ 2.5 hrs with a b level rider in 2 hour harescramble?
b8res
11/13/2017 2:19pm
ben990 wrote:
I have had good luck with mine; over 800 miles, and 66 hours, with no issues. It still feels tight and new. My mods have included...

skid plate
footpegs
grips
white plastic/graphics

Can you set it up for grip heaters? For winter riding?
flopper12
Fantasy
2310th
11/13/2017 5:31pm
The looks of the Alta are slowly growing on me. I can’t wait to see what the future holds for this technology. The Alta is the future of the sport.
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
11/13/2017 5:42pm
No cone valve forks yet?
11/13/2017 7:34pm
flopper12 wrote:
The looks of the Alta are slowly growing on me. I can’t wait to see what the future holds for this technology. The Alta is the...
The looks of the Alta are slowly growing on me. I can’t wait to see what the future holds for this technology. The Alta is the future of the sport.
I just thought the exact same thing.
LungButter
11/13/2017 7:51pm
Man I dig this things. Can't imagine how awesome they will be in 5 years.

It's the future brothers, embrace it or be left behind.

Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2058th
11/13/2017 7:55pm
Can anyone comment on how the plastics are on the knees? The "tank" are looks so uncomfortable to me.

Post a reply to: Alta setup and modifications?

The Latest