Alpinestars Tech 10 Hype

I already had a similar topic in the tech section, but I didn't really get the answers I wanted.

Why is the Tech 10 so popular? With about 16 of 22 riders in the 450 supercross class every weekend I thought they were crazy good, but I don't really like mine because the bootie makes them feel kinda big and they're quite stiff. My feet came off the pegs when hitting a kicker because they're so stiff (standing on the balls of my feet). I don't know, maybe I just need a little more time to get used to them but it feels kinda weird. Aaaand, as with every other Alpinestars boot I owned, the quality is horrible. They're starting to scrape in the ankle area after 2h of use.

So what is it? I mean they look amazing, best looking boots by quite a bit in my opinion. But that can't be everything. Does Alpinestars have such a good support program? Hype? Ankle support? There's got to be something.

I'm probably going to get SG12, btw...
|
PJ205
3/5/2017 2:19pm
You're basically saying that because you don't personally like them, no one else should either. I've had a few pairs and liked them, other than that I did think that the soles wore a bit too quickly. I know some professional riders that swear by them... some people hate them... it's all subjective.
BobPA
3/5/2017 2:20pm
They shell out the most money for the pros to wear them.

I bought a pair of tech 10's years ago and sold them after a month. Hated how bulky they felt.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/5/2017 2:23pm
Mine took a day at the track and a long technical trail ride to break in. After that I haven't had an issue. I prefer them over everything else. Sg12's would be my next choice though.
3/5/2017 2:24pm
PJ205 wrote:
You're basically saying that because you don't personally like them, no one else should either. I've had a few pairs and liked them, other than that...
You're basically saying that because you don't personally like them, no one else should either. I've had a few pairs and liked them, other than that I did think that the soles wore a bit too quickly. I know some professional riders that swear by them... some people hate them... it's all subjective.
No that's not what I meant to say. I was just wondering what people liked about them so much since I can't really get behind that...

The Shop

3/5/2017 2:28pm
Never had Tech 10's so I can't speak on that but I've had very good experiences with Alpinestars lower end boots, always great quality and get a few years out of them, granted I only ride about once or twice a week at the most so..
3/5/2017 2:33pm
I used to wear Tech 8s before the 10 was released, then got the 10s when they came out. Even from the 8s there was a noticeable difference in how 'chunky' they feel on your feet. You definitely lose feel on the pegs but it doesn't take long to get used to and they offer protection better than any other boot IMO. Have had a few knee injuries from twisting my feet out but never an ankle injury.
GoldenKTM
3/5/2017 2:37pm
I've own a pair of Tech-10s for a year or two and they were great. It felt like I was wearing gym shoes on my feet instead of mx boots.

However, the durability was not good enough so I switched to SG12s.
HenryA
3/5/2017 2:47pm
IMO I love how they fit with the inner bootie. Sure they are a tad bit bulky but they feel like you are wearing sneakers

seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
3/5/2017 3:17pm
When I first got mine I thought they felt heavy and stiff, I was coming from a mid grade boot that didn't have nearly as good support as the A-stars. After realizing that and giving them some time, I love em.
bluepumpkin
3/5/2017 3:44pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2017 4:04pm
I already had a similar topic in the tech section, but I didn't really get the answers I wanted. Why is the Tech 10 so popular...
I already had a similar topic in the tech section, but I didn't really get the answers I wanted.

Why is the Tech 10 so popular? With about 16 of 22 riders in the 450 supercross class every weekend I thought they were crazy good, but I don't really like mine because the bootie makes them feel kinda big and they're quite stiff. My feet came off the pegs when hitting a kicker because they're so stiff (standing on the balls of my feet). I don't know, maybe I just need a little more time to get used to them but it feels kinda weird. Aaaand, as with every other Alpinestars boot I owned, the quality is horrible. They're starting to scrape in the ankle area after 2h of use.

So what is it? I mean they look amazing, best looking boots by quite a bit in my opinion. But that can't be everything. Does Alpinestars have such a good support program? Hype? Ankle support? There's got to be something.

Why do you keep buying a brand which you state is horrible?

"Aaaand, as with every other Alpinestars boot I owned, the quality is horrible."

And BTW I tend to agree with you. I haven't had great luck with A-Stars either. Though they haven't been horrible.
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
3/5/2017 4:33pm
No that's not what I meant to say. I was just wondering what people liked about them so much since I can't really get behind that...
I like the ankle in the tech 10. Its strong and very hard to over extend.
I ride with the front of my feet on the pegs and have damaged my ankles hitting large sharp edged bumps wearing Sidis.

I guarantee you I would have been fine in tech 10's.

They feel like some kind space boot when you first go from conventional boots to 10's. However 3 rides later any other boot feels like a weak tennis shoe.

tempura
3/5/2017 5:01pm
motokiwi wrote:
I like the ankle in the tech 10. Its strong and very hard to over extend. I ride with the front of my feet on the...
I like the ankle in the tech 10. Its strong and very hard to over extend.
I ride with the front of my feet on the pegs and have damaged my ankles hitting large sharp edged bumps wearing Sidis.

I guarantee you I would have been fine in tech 10's.

They feel like some kind space boot when you first go from conventional boots to 10's. However 3 rides later any other boot feels like a weak tennis shoe.

Agree. I love the feel of the 10's.
If you truly have an issue, like a weak ankle that wants to turn, you'll appreciate the fit and inner boot of the 10's.
tempura
3/5/2017 5:06pm
I already had a similar topic in the tech section, but I didn't really get the answers I wanted. Why is the Tech 10 so popular...

I'm not sure what kind of answers you're seeking..
Pro's wear the boots because they get paid to, period.
Boots are an individual choice. You need to do the research and try on the boots in your shortlist to find what works best for you.
Everyone has a different criteria and circumstances leading to their final choice.
Kruse317
Fantasy
3337th
3/5/2017 5:39pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2017 5:40pm
Well, I'll find out soon. I've been in SG10's and then 12's since 2008, but found a good deal on a pair of Tech 10s so I bought them. Should be here in about a week. A few of my friends seem to love them but I don't know how I'll feel about the inner bootie yet. From reading on here I already expect the durability to not be even close to the Gaerne's but worst case I'll sell them and switch back to SG12's! It's such personal preference though...I have friends who love the Sidi's but they feel really uncomfortable to me.
tempura
3/5/2017 5:49pm
Kruse317 wrote:
Well, I'll find out soon. I've been in SG10's and then 12's since 2008, but found a good deal on a pair of Tech 10s so...
Well, I'll find out soon. I've been in SG10's and then 12's since 2008, but found a good deal on a pair of Tech 10s so I bought them. Should be here in about a week. A few of my friends seem to love them but I don't know how I'll feel about the inner bootie yet. From reading on here I already expect the durability to not be even close to the Gaerne's but worst case I'll sell them and switch back to SG12's! It's such personal preference though...I have friends who love the Sidi's but they feel really uncomfortable to me.
Yes, I wouldn't expect them to hold up as good as Gaerne's, in my experience, they don't.
The plastic on the White 10's start turning a horrid yellow colour after a while also.
3/5/2017 11:10pm

Why do you keep buying a brand which you state is horrible? "Aaaand, as with every other Alpinestars boot I owned, the quality is horrible." And...
Why do you keep buying a brand which you state is horrible?

"Aaaand, as with every other Alpinestars boot I owned, the quality is horrible."

And BTW I tend to agree with you. I haven't had great luck with A-Stars either. Though they haven't been horrible.
Sponsorship (not with alpinestars)
3/5/2017 11:15pm

tempura wrote:
I'm not sure what kind of answers you're seeking.. Pro's wear the boots because they get paid to, period. Boots are an individual choice. You need...
I'm not sure what kind of answers you're seeking..
Pro's wear the boots because they get paid to, period.
Boots are an individual choice. You need to do the research and try on the boots in your shortlist to find what works best for you.
Everyone has a different criteria and circumstances leading to their final choice.
I know it's an individual choice and from what I've seen so far, the opinions are mixed. For the pros the opinions don't seem to be as mixed... And I would like to know the reason behind that, I mean they all stopped riding neck braces for a reason too.
So Alpinestars just has a bigger budget for sponsorships?
mx617
3/6/2017 1:11am
I bought T10s about 10 years ago when I worked at a shop and got smoking deals. Still running them, the very same pair. Only thing that sucks is the buckles are a pain in the ass to do up, if you like the boots snug. I just bring a hammer with me. Other than that they've been fricking amazing, once broken in it doesn't even feel like I'm wearing them.

I would think though that because everyone has different size/shape feet different brands will fit different.
tempura
3/6/2017 1:32am Edited Date/Time 3/6/2017 1:36am
I know it's an individual choice and from what I've seen so far, the opinions are mixed. For the pros the opinions don't seem to be...
I know it's an individual choice and from what I've seen so far, the opinions are mixed. For the pros the opinions don't seem to be as mixed... And I would like to know the reason behind that, I mean they all stopped riding neck braces for a reason too.
So Alpinestars just has a bigger budget for sponsorships?
You want to know why the pro's that wear them, generally have less mixed opinions?
Probably because they are paid to wear/endorse them.
I wouldn't pay too much attention to what they are wearing/endorsing. You'll get better opinions at your local track.
Motofinne
3/6/2017 4:12am Edited Date/Time 3/6/2017 4:13am
Never look at the pros when you are estimating a product. They get paid to wear/use products.

Read reviews and develop your own opinion of a product.

With that said, i have 3 pairs of the latest gen Tech 10s. I'm a fan. The only high end boot that i haven't had is Gearne SG12.
Spooner
3/6/2017 4:43am
A lot less guys are paid to wear them then you think. You'd be surprised how many guys are even paying for them.
3/6/2017 6:21am Edited Date/Time 3/6/2017 6:25am
Spooner wrote:
A lot less guys are paid to wear them then you think. You'd be surprised how many guys are even paying for them.
Yeah the sponsorship argument wasn't very convincing for me. I just feel like I am missing what makes this boot so much more desirable than others.
(I think I probably didn't express myself correctly because a lot of people are getting what I meant horribly wrong)

Edit: what came to my mind today is that maybe because I'm relatively small (1,77m) for the size of my feet (45EU/11US). Maybe they feel so stiff because I don't weigh enough to get the boot to move. Just a thought though
tempura
3/6/2017 6:30am Edited Date/Time 3/6/2017 6:31am
If you don't like them, move on to a different pair. It's pretty simple. Some people like them, others don't.
A pro's opinion of them isn't going to change the way they fit your feet and feel...lol
Frodad78
3/6/2017 6:43am
I'm wearing Tech 7s and they are the most comfortable boot I've ever owned. Initially they felt way too stiff but with time they have broken in nicely. Maybe you just need more time in them?
sdjeff
3/6/2017 8:03am
On the tech 10s. Anyone else feel like the hinge on the booty digs into their heel?
It comes off with a couple screws. A lot of people remove it including myself.
Spooner
3/6/2017 8:05am
Frodad78 wrote:
I'm wearing Tech 7s and they are the most comfortable boot I've ever owned. Initially they felt way too stiff but with time they have broken...
I'm wearing Tech 7s and they are the most comfortable boot I've ever owned. Initially they felt way too stiff but with time they have broken in nicely. Maybe you just need more time in them?
Yeah if you want a more flexible boot the Tech 7 is very hard to beat especially for the money. I broke in a new pair yesterday and they seriously are 90% broken in the first time you put them on. I just snugged up the straps a bit after my first time out and they are golden. This is my 3rd pair of the new gen ones and for me they are the best boot out there but I mostly ride in the woods. I have had tech 10's but they are a little stiff for me when in the woods but for MX they give you a very secure feeling. I tell people that 10's are your insurance policy for when things get sideways and you OJ or face a jump or something. They can take a hell of a hit and I don't think there is a safer boot for jumping.
joeellis
3/6/2017 8:08am
I bought a new pair and really like them. So much in fact, I'll probably always buy them. I also own a pair of SG-12's. Mine aren't the most current set. They are the design that came out a few years before. These are very good boots as well, but I feel the Tech 10's are overall more protective and maneuverable. Oddly enough, to me the soles of the Gaerne's are too grabby. I literally have to lift a foot to move it when I'm on the pegs. To each his own, but I love the Tech 10's.

Post a reply to: Alpinestars Tech 10 Hype

The Latest