All the Broken CRF150's?

Blake
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 7:51pm
What was the scoop?

The ROC on Yamahas and Kawis didn't have that problem 26 years ago.

We these all stockers like the old race, or racers own rides?
|
CamP
9/7/2010 6:27am
Flat tires.
Blake
9/7/2010 6:43am
CamP wrote:
Flat tires.
In MX, when did that become a reason to quit?
CamP
9/7/2010 6:47am
CamP wrote:
Flat tires.
Blake wrote:
A flat tire caused one of my biggest crashes in 40 years of riding.

The Shop

flarider
9/7/2010 6:59am
CamP wrote:
Flat tires.
Blake wrote:
when rims, tires, lacing and hubs became really expensive, especially for a class that offers only a trophy, no cash
88sdad
9/7/2010 7:23am
CamP wrote:
Flat tires.
Blake wrote:
flarider wrote:
when rims, tires, lacing and hubs became really expensive, especially for a class that offers only a trophy, no cash
Do you really think people race differently for a trophy than they do for cash?

flarider
9/7/2010 7:27am
Blake wrote:
flarider wrote:
88sdad wrote:

Yeah
Cygnus
9/7/2010 7:36am
I thought this race paid huge contingency?
Blake
9/7/2010 7:42am
flarider wrote:
88sdad wrote:

flarider wrote:
Yeah
Wait, but if it was a qualifer for the Mino Os, Ponca, or LL's, I doubt they would just pull off.

I can't remember a time when a flat cause someone to quit, and/or that many flat tire in one class...........

This was equivalent to the YROC, or KROC of Old.

Denis, Brown, Harrington( Not Andy/Regis, the OG Doug) Hicks, McCoy, they'd say fuck a flat.

DC
9/7/2010 7:47am
Cooper Webb did not quit, and the other kid's tire was coming off the rim. Besides that, it was a good race and the kids seemed to have fun. We will be doing more of these type races in the future, also with different equipment and ages....

DC
MX Sports
ATKpilot99
9/7/2010 7:52am
DC wrote:
Cooper Webb did not quit, and the other kid's tire was coming off the rim. Besides that, it was a good race and the kids seemed...
Cooper Webb did not quit, and the other kid's tire was coming off the rim. Besides that, it was a good race and the kids seemed to have fun. We will be doing more of these type races in the future, also with different equipment and ages....

DC
MX Sports
Sounds good . It would be great to see a vet pro race and maybe see some of the old pros come out .
sc961
9/7/2010 7:53am
88sdad wrote:

Yes
88sdad
9/7/2010 7:55am
flarider wrote:
88sdad wrote:

flarider wrote:
Yeah
So all the kids at the amateur nationals would race differently if they got cash instead of a trophy?

I think the kids trying to make MX a career, consider trophies as part of their resume and will do almost anything to get them.
yanks_178
9/7/2010 7:58am
88sdad wrote:
So all the kids at the amateur nationals would race differently if they got cash instead of a trophy? I think the kids trying to make...
So all the kids at the amateur nationals would race differently if they got cash instead of a trophy?

I think the kids trying to make MX a career, consider trophies as part of their resume and will do almost anything to get them.
I got sick of getting trophies at 10!!! We used to take them apart and see how big of one we could make! Our local track still offers you $5 cash instead of a trophy. Most people that have raced a few years take the cash. I only keep the 1st place trophy and those don't come around much anymore!
sc961
9/7/2010 8:07am
88sdad wrote:

flarider wrote:
Yeah
88sdad wrote:
So all the kids at the amateur nationals would race differently if they got cash instead of a trophy? I think the kids trying to make...

Two different questions.

Do you really think people race differently for a trophy - Answer is yes. Weekend warriors will take a different approach if they feel a reasonable chance at getting their wallet filled up for the way home.

Riders working toward a career, or Am nats are a much different scenario. They are working toward a different end result and will be racing the same way to get to the next level of goals.
88sdad
9/7/2010 8:47am
flarider wrote:
Yeah
88sdad wrote:

sc961 wrote:
Two different questions. [b]Do you really think [u]people [/u]race differently for a trophy[/b] - Answer is yes. Weekend warriors will take a different approach if they...
Two different questions.

Do you really think people race differently for a trophy - Answer is yes. Weekend warriors will take a different approach if they feel a reasonable chance at getting their wallet filled up for the way home.

Riders working toward a career, or Am nats are a much different scenario. They are working toward a different end result and will be racing the same way to get to the next level of goals.
OK, I'll agree with that.
sc961
9/7/2010 8:51am
88sdad wrote:
OK, I'll agree with that.
Stop being so damn agreeable! There's no room for that on a message board.......Wink
9/7/2010 9:25am
Heavy minicycles promote flat mini tires!

Or, maybe the tires just got bored... Maybe they wanted to go around the track on a real mini, but instead they ended up being spooned onto the plumpertalk Honda Perversion of a mini, and were unhappy.

Or maybe the smartest thing for Honda to do was to have the announcers identify every mechanical failure that could possibly happen at this special showcase race a "Flat Tire" no matter what it was.
peelout719
9/7/2010 9:42am
still think this is another attempt from the powers that be to eliminate the possibility of 2-strokes ever having a chance to be raced.

fuggin joke.
txmxer
9/7/2010 10:06am
peelout719 wrote:
still think this is another attempt from the powers that be to eliminate the possibility of 2-strokes ever having a chance to be raced.

fuggin joke.
Should MX Sports have said no to Honda? Run a race without a sponsor?
Blake
9/7/2010 10:08am
No, but it should have been open to Hondas.

You know, 105 Superminis, and 85s.

peelout719
9/7/2010 10:10am
Blake wrote:

exactly
Blake
9/7/2010 10:13am
Blake wrote:

peelout719 wrote:
exactly
The 85s and 105s are exciting. And sound cool.
peelout719
9/7/2010 10:28am
Blake wrote:

peelout719 wrote:
exactly
Blake wrote:
The 85s and 105s are exciting. And sound cool.
the kids that win the local races around here are on 85's as well, also they are doing great still in the amateur national.

guess i just don't see the point in having a turd 150 race versus just having a mini-bike exhibition... makes more sense and you will have a lot more talent show up. especially at pala... some of those kids down there straight rip on 85's.
txmxer
9/7/2010 10:45am
I would love for them to have allowed the smokers, but Honda was paying the bill.
9/7/2010 11:55am
Yeah... That race was pretty lamestupidslowcastratedboring but at the same time... Maybe it was a stroke of GENIUS on the part of MX Sports...

It all boils down to profit and bladder control... Not working against each other like they do in a bar, but working as a team.

When MX Sports took over and began improving Motocross by doing things like eliminating the Glen Helen race and threatening to eliminate High Point and maybe even Steel City, they also realized that peope needed another bathroom break or two in the course of the race day program. They tried to give those bathroom breaks to the fans last year by staging the 2 stroke exhibition races, but it didn't work. People loved the 2 stroke races and lined the fences during those events cheering for John Dowd, Ricky Carmichael, and all the other great riders who participated. Because of all that fan enthusiasm, hardly anyone sprinted for the bucket booths as MX Sports had hoped, and the bathroom break plan for 09 failed...

Also, and perhaps worst of all, those 2 stroke races had the opposite effect on people than what was apparently desired. Instead of being a nostalgic goodby wave, they turned out more like a call to action and fanned the flames of a resurgence that was already underway. More and more people started checking out 2 strokes again after seeing those fast guys out there on those fast, light, and dependable bikes. Even with the announcers mentioning the word "Vintage" as many times as they could fit it in during the races, no one listened and the attempt to put a "Vintage" spin on the 2 stroke races failed... You can bet that most of the people who pony up the major money to keep the traveling show on the road didn't like that... not one bit. ***If you don't believe me just check into Fred Andrews Racing, who had it's Yamaha support pulled because it chose to compete off road with YZ250's intead of WR250F's to lower it's expenses. Yamaha pulled all support for the team despite race winning performances. It's not enough to be out there winning on a Yamaha, it had to be the 4 $troke Yamaha or nothing.***

So now, back to MX Sports and what to do about the perfect Bathroom Breaks?.... Maybe they thought about a lawn mower race.... No, that might be too redundant given the rest of the day's program... Then some guy asked about a 125cc support class for the up and coming racers, but we already talked about what the money bags in the industry think of things like that. And unfortunately it's those industry money bag people whose boots are planted on the necks of the guys who make these decisions and besides, if they put a full gate of 125s out there, not a drop of tinkle would sprinkle until it was over! Something like that would not make for a good bathroom break... What to do... What to do???....

THEN, along comes Honda with an idea... and they're carrying a fat wad. (No, not the CRF150R, I mean a fat wad of money!)

Here's MX Sports's chance to get payed not played homie! And they go for it of course.

Everyone involved gets a piece I guess, and the little baby elephant bikes parade down vendor row past the race fans on their way to the track. The commentary from the announcers is a cookie pie love fest as they talk about "The Future of MX" and all the glowing attributes of almost every kid's least favorite bike. (Paid Homie!)

The genius of this move by MX sports is that they gets PAID! homie.... AND the bathroom break problem is finally solved!

So, MX Sports gets Paid, we fans get 2 nice bathroom breaks one during qualifying and then one after the 1st WMX Moto, and Honda get's to run it's live infomercial, secure in the knowlege that ANY mechanical failure witnessed by people waiting in line for the bathrooms will be called a "Flat Tire" by the announcers. (Paid Homie?)

Every race is a bike commercial, we all realize that. This new Honda glaze just makes it painfully obvious, that's all.

Thanks,

Jim

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
9/7/2010 12:13pm
There's a lot of Statler and Waldorf in this thread.
CamP
9/7/2010 12:21pm
The only thing that bothered me about listening to the 150 race was the Honda rep that constantly talked about Cooper Webb. Even when Webb fell back with the tire issue, the Honda rep kept going on and on about him instead of talking about the kids in the lead. The other announcer would try to get back to calling the race, but the Honda rep would change the subject and start rambling on about Webb again.
RonSkj
Fantasy
129th
9/7/2010 12:28pm
Yeah... That race was pretty lamestupidslowcastratedboring but at the same time... Maybe it was a stroke of GENIUS on the part of MX Sports... It all...
Yeah... That race was pretty lamestupidslowcastratedboring but at the same time... Maybe it was a stroke of GENIUS on the part of MX Sports...

It all boils down to profit and bladder control... Not working against each other like they do in a bar, but working as a team.

When MX Sports took over and began improving Motocross by doing things like eliminating the Glen Helen race and threatening to eliminate High Point and maybe even Steel City, they also realized that peope needed another bathroom break or two in the course of the race day program. They tried to give those bathroom breaks to the fans last year by staging the 2 stroke exhibition races, but it didn't work. People loved the 2 stroke races and lined the fences during those events cheering for John Dowd, Ricky Carmichael, and all the other great riders who participated. Because of all that fan enthusiasm, hardly anyone sprinted for the bucket booths as MX Sports had hoped, and the bathroom break plan for 09 failed...

Also, and perhaps worst of all, those 2 stroke races had the opposite effect on people than what was apparently desired. Instead of being a nostalgic goodby wave, they turned out more like a call to action and fanned the flames of a resurgence that was already underway. More and more people started checking out 2 strokes again after seeing those fast guys out there on those fast, light, and dependable bikes. Even with the announcers mentioning the word "Vintage" as many times as they could fit it in during the races, no one listened and the attempt to put a "Vintage" spin on the 2 stroke races failed... You can bet that most of the people who pony up the major money to keep the traveling show on the road didn't like that... not one bit. ***If you don't believe me just check into Fred Andrews Racing, who had it's Yamaha support pulled because it chose to compete off road with YZ250's intead of WR250F's to lower it's expenses. Yamaha pulled all support for the team despite race winning performances. It's not enough to be out there winning on a Yamaha, it had to be the 4 $troke Yamaha or nothing.***

So now, back to MX Sports and what to do about the perfect Bathroom Breaks?.... Maybe they thought about a lawn mower race.... No, that might be too redundant given the rest of the day's program... Then some guy asked about a 125cc support class for the up and coming racers, but we already talked about what the money bags in the industry think of things like that. And unfortunately it's those industry money bag people whose boots are planted on the necks of the guys who make these decisions and besides, if they put a full gate of 125s out there, not a drop of tinkle would sprinkle until it was over! Something like that would not make for a good bathroom break... What to do... What to do???....

THEN, along comes Honda with an idea... and they're carrying a fat wad. (No, not the CRF150R, I mean a fat wad of money!)

Here's MX Sports's chance to get payed not played homie! And they go for it of course.

Everyone involved gets a piece I guess, and the little baby elephant bikes parade down vendor row past the race fans on their way to the track. The commentary from the announcers is a cookie pie love fest as they talk about "The Future of MX" and all the glowing attributes of almost every kid's least favorite bike. (Paid Homie!)

The genius of this move by MX sports is that they gets PAID! homie.... AND the bathroom break problem is finally solved!

So, MX Sports gets Paid, we fans get 2 nice bathroom breaks one during qualifying and then one after the 1st WMX Moto, and Honda get's to run it's live infomercial, secure in the knowlege that ANY mechanical failure witnessed by people waiting in line for the bathrooms will be called a "Flat Tire" by the announcers. (Paid Homie?)

Every race is a bike commercial, we all realize that. This new Honda glaze just makes it painfully obvious, that's all.

Thanks,

Jim

rhysthomas
9/7/2010 12:33pm
Blake wrote:
flarider wrote:
88sdad wrote:

i don't speak for everyone but i race to win, i don't care what the prize is

Post a reply to: All the Broken CRF150's?

The Latest