All 250F owners , how the longevity?

jeffro503
5/21/2015 9:42am
BroFoSho wrote:
I was going 50-60 hours between doing pistons as a fast C rider. Once I did SS vales, I never had to touch them after 100+...
I was going 50-60 hours between doing pistons as a fast C rider. Once I did SS vales, I never had to touch them after 100+ hours of use.
Was going about 100-120 hours on a stock crank before I replaced it. Never had a motor explode on me before.

Riding 450s and 250Fs back-to-back, you can certaintly notice a power difference and fatigue difference. 250F = no bottom end compared to a 450, BUT you feel like you can ride the thing forever without getting tired.
SS means Stainless steel valves?

From reading all these replies , these 250F's seem to hold up quite a bit longer than what I was thinking. Btw I have ridden a few in the past couple years and I liked them. I think my corner speed was actually faster on the 250 compared to the 450 for some reason. But totally remember them not having any where near the power of my 450. But then again , neither does my RM 250 as far as that goes.
NV825
Fantasy
2730th
5/21/2015 9:43am
I'm still rocking a '07 KX250f. Regular maintenance has kept it riding great all these years.
BD233
5/21/2015 10:42am
Darryl916 wrote:
What are you guys basing your piston changes on?
I did my first one at 50 hours but it looked so good I went 80 hours before my second one. Still looked clean and almost new... I fully rebuilt it 50 hours later just out of boredom and for piece of mind. I do replace the timing chain every 30 hours though. That little $50 part is an easy an necessary item IMO. It's all about the air filter and oil on these little bikes. I use two air filters every time out. I change it halfway through the day, I'll use three on a real dusty day. Just my OCD I guess. Seems to work though.
jeffro503
5/21/2015 11:41am
Well shit , I just made a call to Motosports and I'm taking my 450 up for an appraisal on a trade in. Doing that this next week. If I don't get smoked to bad on the trade in , I may be getting a new 2015 KX250F here soon. Sad to see that 450 go , but dang I need something that isn't trying to kill me when I get a little tired.

The Shop

bvm111
5/21/2015 11:45am
jeffro503 wrote:
Well shit , I just made a call to Motosports and I'm taking my 450 up for an appraisal on a trade in. Doing that this...
Well shit , I just made a call to Motosports and I'm taking my 450 up for an appraisal on a trade in. Doing that this next week. If I don't get smoked to bad on the trade in , I may be getting a new 2015 KX250F here soon. Sad to see that 450 go , but dang I need something that isn't trying to kill me when I get a little tired.
Jeff, I was looking forward to riding that 450 in a few weeks... you better just let me break in the new 250 then!

JK Tongue

or we can work out a twofer at motosport and Ill pick up the 15 450.... the wife would kill me PinchEvil
jeffro503
5/21/2015 12:01pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Well shit , I just made a call to Motosports and I'm taking my 450 up for an appraisal on a trade in. Doing that this...
bvm111 wrote:
Jeff, I was looking forward to riding that 450 in a few weeks... you better just let me break in the new 250 then! JK :P...
Jeff, I was looking forward to riding that 450 in a few weeks... you better just let me break in the new 250 then!

JK Tongue

or we can work out a twofer at motosport and Ill pick up the 15 450.... the wife would kill me PinchEvil
I hear ya man , and you may very well get to ride the 450 too. I'll get a trade in price , but that also means I need to come up with the rest of the money before I actually trade it in. I don't finance my bikes , I just buy them out right. So basically it all depends on what the trade in is and how much more they want / need from me to get that new 250F.
Osaka627
5/21/2015 12:15pm
Jeff not sure if that has been asked or not because quite simply I didn't read any of the comments.

Biggest factor here and it relates to the way you ride your motorcycle.

Are you a Barcia (Top End &Then Some)

Or are you a CP377/KR/JS7 All Bottom To Lower Mid Using Momentum type of Rider?
moore433
5/21/2015 12:17pm
I had a 04 crf 250 and I rode it at least 1 day every weekend if not both days plus a few weekday rides occasionally and I rode it hard and revved it high.... I replaced the piston once and NEVER had to adjust the valves not even once. I also had a 05 crf450r and after 6 months the valves went out on it and had to be replaced.
Darryl916
5/21/2015 12:25pm
Darryl916 wrote:
What are you guys basing your piston changes on?
BD233 wrote:
I did my first one at 50 hours but it looked so good I went 80 hours before my second one. Still looked clean and almost...
I did my first one at 50 hours but it looked so good I went 80 hours before my second one. Still looked clean and almost new... I fully rebuilt it 50 hours later just out of boredom and for piece of mind. I do replace the timing chain every 30 hours though. That little $50 part is an easy an necessary item IMO. It's all about the air filter and oil on these little bikes. I use two air filters every time out. I change it halfway through the day, I'll use three on a real dusty day. Just my OCD I guess. Seems to work though.
Cool. Thanks.
BroFoSho
5/21/2015 1:57pm
BroFoSho wrote:
I was going 50-60 hours between doing pistons as a fast C rider. Once I did SS vales, I never had to touch them after 100+...
I was going 50-60 hours between doing pistons as a fast C rider. Once I did SS vales, I never had to touch them after 100+ hours of use.
Was going about 100-120 hours on a stock crank before I replaced it. Never had a motor explode on me before.

Riding 450s and 250Fs back-to-back, you can certaintly notice a power difference and fatigue difference. 250F = no bottom end compared to a 450, BUT you feel like you can ride the thing forever without getting tired.
jeffro503 wrote:
SS means Stainless steel valves? From reading all these replies , these 250F's seem to hold up quite a bit longer than what I was thinking...
SS means Stainless steel valves?

From reading all these replies , these 250F's seem to hold up quite a bit longer than what I was thinking. Btw I have ridden a few in the past couple years and I liked them. I think my corner speed was actually faster on the 250 compared to the 450 for some reason. But totally remember them not having any where near the power of my 450. But then again , neither does my RM 250 as far as that goes.
Yep. Stainless Steel valves. People say you noticeably loose power with a heavier valvetrain, but all I notice was it reved ever so slightly slower.

I replaced pistons simply for piece of mind, not wanting the motor to lock up. You also will notice a power increase with a new piston every 50 or so hours. A stock 250F motor that is well taken care of is not a time bomb like some think.
Dissident
5/21/2015 2:33pm
why not just put a flywheel weight on it or gear it down?

jeffro503
5/21/2015 8:15pm
Dissident wrote:

On what? My 450? That would tone my 450 down a bit but not down to where I would like it and I'm still dealing with all the extra weight and trying to muscle it around.

@Osaka......Well I'm kind of a weird rider to be honest. When I'm out of riding shape and don't feel confident , I ride a LOT slower. Been hurt so many times that I'm just not willing to cross any lines. When I'm in good riding shape and my confidence is really good , I tend to ride a lot more aggressive and a lot faster. The throttle position all depends on how I'm feeling. I know with switching to a 250F I'll have to ride a lot more aggressive. Which is what I'm lacking right now. Because riding my 450 super aggressive , one slight mistake and I'm toast ( again ).

I really do believe that 450's have made me lazy. Hard to explain here , but when I jumped on my RM250 2 stroke , it flashed me back to about 15yrs ago , but in a good way? Like I was craving that extra skill it took to make it go faster. And when I got tired , it wasn't so scary to get out of shape on. Don't get me wrong , I love my 450 , but only up to about the 8 -10min mark. After that I get a little worn and that seems to be where I always make my mistakes.

I know how to ride a bike. Spent many years in the INT classes and the +25 and +30A classes. It's not that I don't know how to , or forgot how to ride , it's that I don't have time in my life to get in the kind of shape I " want " to be in , to ride that 450 the way I know how too. It's very , very seldom when I actually feel good enough on my 450 , where I'll actually push it. I can't even start to push that thing to it's potential , but a 250 I can at least man handle it the way I want , without it trying to kill me.

I'm going by an old rule I heard about 30yrs ago. And that it's a lot more fun to push a slower bike to go fast , then it is to ride a really fast bike slow. I've at least gotta give it a shot.
Dissident
5/23/2015 8:45pm
Dissident wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:
On what? My 450? That would tone my 450 down a bit but not down to where I would like it and I'm still dealing with...
On what? My 450? That would tone my 450 down a bit but not down to where I would like it and I'm still dealing with all the extra weight and trying to muscle it around.

@Osaka......Well I'm kind of a weird rider to be honest. When I'm out of riding shape and don't feel confident , I ride a LOT slower. Been hurt so many times that I'm just not willing to cross any lines. When I'm in good riding shape and my confidence is really good , I tend to ride a lot more aggressive and a lot faster. The throttle position all depends on how I'm feeling. I know with switching to a 250F I'll have to ride a lot more aggressive. Which is what I'm lacking right now. Because riding my 450 super aggressive , one slight mistake and I'm toast ( again ).

I really do believe that 450's have made me lazy. Hard to explain here , but when I jumped on my RM250 2 stroke , it flashed me back to about 15yrs ago , but in a good way? Like I was craving that extra skill it took to make it go faster. And when I got tired , it wasn't so scary to get out of shape on. Don't get me wrong , I love my 450 , but only up to about the 8 -10min mark. After that I get a little worn and that seems to be where I always make my mistakes.

I know how to ride a bike. Spent many years in the INT classes and the +25 and +30A classes. It's not that I don't know how to , or forgot how to ride , it's that I don't have time in my life to get in the kind of shape I " want " to be in , to ride that 450 the way I know how too. It's very , very seldom when I actually feel good enough on my 450 , where I'll actually push it. I can't even start to push that thing to it's potential , but a 250 I can at least man handle it the way I want , without it trying to kill me.

I'm going by an old rule I heard about 30yrs ago. And that it's a lot more fun to push a slower bike to go fast , then it is to ride a really fast bike slow. I've at least gotta give it a shot.
not sure how big/tall you are but i honestly think youre gonna get the 250f and find out how tiring it is to rev the piss out of it everywhere to clear jumps or just do whatever

i havent really ridden a 450mx bike on a track but ive been riding 250 2-strokes for awhile and can only imagine a 450 is alot easier to ride...

i know they're heavier but maybe you could try changing your technique ...?
jeffro503
5/23/2015 9:45pm
Dissident wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:
On what? My 450? That would tone my 450 down a bit but not down to where I would like it and I'm still dealing with...

Dissident wrote:
not sure how big/tall you are but i honestly think youre gonna get the 250f and find out how tiring it is to rev the piss...
not sure how big/tall you are but i honestly think youre gonna get the 250f and find out how tiring it is to rev the piss out of it everywhere to clear jumps or just do whatever

i havent really ridden a 450mx bike on a track but ive been riding 250 2-strokes for awhile and can only imagine a 450 is alot easier to ride...

i know they're heavier but maybe you could try changing your technique ...?
I raced 250 2 strokes for about 10yrs or so and have been on the 450's for the past 15yrs ( except for my long break I took when I got hurt ) . The thing is that I've gotten older and holding onto a 450 for longer rides starts to wear me out. I can't change my technique really and this point in the game , and honestly my technique has always done me good over the years. And again , I've ridden 250F's and had fun on them , just never owned one. So I figured I would give them a try for a while. If I don't like it then I can always go back to my 450.

And I have an 06' RM250 as well. I can ride it more aggressive than my 450 and still put in longer rides with it. The extra weight , power and overall feeling of the 450 is what seems to be wearing me out lately. So what the hell , I'll give it a shot.
SLO1667
5/23/2015 10:05pm
Get the 350 already and STFU. Geez. It's not that difficult dude.
5/23/2015 10:07pm
Warm the bike up properly before getting on it. Yet dont sit there on the starting line rev'ing the shit out of it either.

Stay off the rev limiter. The ability to upshift is there for a reason.

Change ur oil every 20 hrs.

Check the piston out every 150 hrs.

Bike will last forever.
jeffro503
5/23/2015 11:22pm
SLO1667 wrote:
Get the 350 already and STFU. Geez. It's not that difficult dude.
No.
Cancerman
5/23/2015 11:22pm
Dissident wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:

A very accurate post. You are being smart. Everything you say about the 450, I experienced also. I have a RM125, and a CR500 for moto right now. I go faster on a tighter track on the 125. "A good man always know his limitations". The 500 is mainly for bragging rights. It wears me out as well. I had a CRF 450, I was always waiting for it to blow, I was so glad when a young kid bought it. You can always big bore a 250F for more grunt. You just have to enjoy working on them. Just my perspective.
jeffro503
5/23/2015 11:25pm Edited Date/Time 5/23/2015 11:25pm
Warm the bike up properly before getting on it. Yet dont sit there on the starting line rev'ing the shit out of it either. Stay off...
Warm the bike up properly before getting on it. Yet dont sit there on the starting line rev'ing the shit out of it either.

Bike will last forever.
Haven't seen you around in quite some time man , hope you're well.

Couple questions though.

Change ur oil every 20 hrs.?

Check the piston out every 150 hrs.?

Those seem to be extremely excessive there. Or lack of actually. I change my oil every 3hrs or so. And lot of guys in here have said check the piston between about every 30-50hrs or so. Every 150hrs seems insane to me. Even on a well maintained 450 that seems a little crazy.
mxrider28
5/23/2015 11:56pm
I have had 3 honda 250F's. Never had any problems with them. Two of them I sold at 150 hours and now I have a 2014 with 102 hours. Just change the oils/filter every 5 hours and air filter every 1-2 rides. Never done a crank or valves. Piston every 50 hours.
Zracer
5/24/2015 6:05am
newmann wrote:
You should try a new KTM 350 coming off of the 450. Revs and power....
The 350 makes me feel like many do on a 125. Just ear to ear grin.
5/24/2015 1:04pm
Warm the bike up properly before getting on it. Yet dont sit there on the starting line rev'ing the shit out of it either. Stay off...

Bike will last forever.
jeffro503 wrote:
Haven't seen you around in quite some time man , hope you're well. Couple questions though. Change ur oil every 20 hrs.? Check the piston out...
Haven't seen you around in quite some time man , hope you're well.

Couple questions though.

Change ur oil every 20 hrs.?

Check the piston out every 150 hrs.?

Those seem to be extremely excessive there. Or lack of actually. I change my oil every 3hrs or so. And lot of guys in here have said check the piston between about every 30-50hrs or so. Every 150hrs seems insane to me. Even on a well maintained 450 that seems a little crazy.
I sent u a PM with further details. Hope u got it.

3 hrs is hyper excessive. Though, Im sure Lucus Oil & Maxima love u guys for it.

I tried to edit my post to say check the valve train every 150 hrs, and give the piston a look. Odds are the piston wont need changing.

The only reason mfg's tell the consumer to change the oil so frequently is a precaution to avoid warranty issues. During the actual R&D process, you'd be very surprised to know how long a box stock engine will last without having the oil changed before it blows up.

My advice? Zracer is right. Get a 350. It's the best of all worlds. Just a ton of fun. The power delivery and curve is perfect. I change my oil/filter every 25-30 hrs. I got 2700miles on it. No issues at all. I honestly think I could go 50 hrs and have no issue.

Granted, I cant speak for everyone else. A lot of this depends on how you bike but then again, during endurance testing mfg's have seen good results with even a pro on the bike.

My advice is if ur afraid of upshifting and want to be reving the crap out of your thumper all the time or ride the clutch constantly (which makes no sense considering the torque 4strokes have compared to 2strokes), then you might want to change the oil more frequently. Also, if you dont let the piston heat up, these racing thumpers have a tendency to allow blow by which further breaks down your oil. And like I said, dont sit on the starting line rev'ing the crap out of your bike. It's really hard on the valve train and it's just overheating ur bike. We all have EFI now, free rev'ing isnt necessary.
SLO1667
5/24/2015 1:12pm
"Enurcia"

What an idiot.
bsharkey
5/24/2015 4:44pm
jeff power motorsports in sublimity has a deal right now where you can get a 2015 kx250f for 5600otd with a complete set of fusion graphics, $250 gift certificate to devol products and freee entry to the next pro race at Albany and one other thing

Post a reply to: All 250F owners , how the longevity?

The Latest