Alessi Start Gate Semi and Main..

Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1666th
Edited Date/Time 1/10/2014 1:15pm
Ok some friends of mine and I were discussing the super human leap Alessi had on the semi's race. Then got caught in the gate in main like something didn't work this time. So we all know Alessi is a good starter but we also know Alessi's family history in trying to get an advantage somehow how against the rest. Here are some conspiracy theories. Obviously he could just have the wit and reaction of a superhuman or we can start analyzing maybe the Alessi camp has been studying the starting gate and found a way to, I hate to say this word "cheat". I am not a hater nor a fanboy. But as a technical person there is all sorts of possibilities. What do you all think. I'm really curious to see what happens at Phoenix in his starts now and maybe analyze the gate drop a little closer in slow motion, call me crazy. Guess this topic hasn't been on the radar because of his finish. So..

For example:

Tiny sensor disguised or part of the hole shot device that sense tiniest movement in the gate arm and could be a signal to a tiny light or audio sound in his helmet or clutch pin release in the lever. Who knows. Even I could build this with all the electronic parts available to consumer now. By the way they are for sale for $499.99 if you want on from me.

We even discussed how interesting Emig called out maybe Alessi was doing a count down. They thought is was suspicious.

Light this thread up.. Or reply with the biggest super human bitch slap..
|
LappedU
1/9/2014 3:31pm
Seems like they are always looking for that magic bullet.
1/9/2014 3:36pm
"Bullshit" "That guy is going down"

They simply watched races from other years and said "Gates goes in 3 seconds" Or whatever.

Counted and dumped clutch and got lucky. In drag racing its called a perfect light.

Who's to say the starter this time said Im counting to 5?
Bineano
1/9/2014 3:37pm
Absolute Perfect timing…then not so good timing. If he got BOTH hole shots like the heat, I would be SLIGHTLY suspicious. That was impressive!
Josh422
1/9/2014 3:40pm
What is the difference between staring at a light and staring directly at the gate? Alessi got caught up being a dork and counting down when he was going to launch after getting a great start the first time. You are disguising the Alessis with evil genius when it's really just a few home schooled dirt bike riders.

The Shop

slipdog
1/9/2014 3:40pm
He jumped the gate both times. In the heat he hit it with his wheel lifting up and the gate popped down, that's why he was a little squirrelly when he first jumped out. The second time the gate grabbed his wheel and he was stuck. Ballsy no doubt, but he got lucky in the heat. I doubt you'll see him try to jump that early next week.
Regis
Fantasy
292nd
1/9/2014 3:45pm
The gate is too predictable. They say between 5-10 seconds and most always it goes at 7.

Alessi had a count and went for it and it worked the first time. He probably just count a little fast in the main.
Katoomey
1/9/2014 3:47pm Edited Date/Time 1/9/2014 3:48pm
if anything he is counting and going on his own count instead of watching the pin fall. this is the only "
theory" one could possibly buy into. ...and I would buy into this one, if we see more perfect starts and/or stuffed gates. I certainly wouldn't put it past him. It isn't cheating per "letter of the law" if you will, but it is sort of cheating per "spirit of the law"

but your idea of a timing light or buzzer is ignorant. Why would watching a light or listening for a buzzer give you any advantage over just directly watching the gate pin? if anything you'd be adding a delay.
Crush
1/9/2014 3:48pm
I don't know why it has to be complicated, just tell the gate starter to mix it up every single time. 2 seconds, 10 seconds, 4 seconds, 6 seconds...

Solved.

The only reason Mike did it is they find a way to cheat/get the most out of the system. Change it. Simple.
Katoomey
1/9/2014 3:53pm Edited Date/Time 1/9/2014 3:55pm
Crush wrote:
I don't know why it has to be complicated, just tell the gate starter to mix it up every single time. 2 seconds, 10 seconds, 4...
I don't know why it has to be complicated, just tell the gate starter to mix it up every single time. 2 seconds, 10 seconds, 4 seconds, 6 seconds...

Solved.

The only reason Mike did it is they find a way to cheat/get the most out of the system. Change it. Simple.
Exactly. Thats how they are supposed to do it. In the rule book it says from 1-10 seconds. Shouldn't have to tell anyone anything. How could the person dropping gates not know this?
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
1/9/2014 3:56pm
You lost me at conspiracy theory.
Crush
1/9/2014 3:57pm
Yeah... I guess maybe the monotony of doing it a thousand times a weekend and a year has made him just do it. Alessi as usual is just looking for any advantage he can.

Sad thing is he's good enough not to do that to just get a good start anyways. He looked like a jackass counting and hitting it in the main.
1/9/2014 3:59pm
I'm thinking Jeff is shining his laser at Mike's goggle lens right as he sees the "gate keeper" raise his leg up. It's just a theory though.
Titan1
1/9/2014 4:03pm
Mike Gambled and won in the heat...and then went all in on the main and the house won. Nothing more than that.
kijen
1/9/2014 4:13pm
ok, how is it cheating? everybody on the line can count too....right....and then we bring up cheating to get better starts....well what about hole shot devices..it's designed for better starts....cheating? and then traction control on the Kawi's designed for better starts, cheating? both are using technology, and that's not cheating?..... but then we say counting to 7 (that any 5 year old can do)
So Alessi is cheating ....WOW, you guys are really bored or really don't like him

is a baseball player guessing a curve ball cheating too?
1/9/2014 4:16pm
The Alessi's hired an actuary firm to analyze every gate drop in Supercross history to give them the probabilities of when the gate will most likely drop. The highest probability for the gate to drop is 34.746352826% chance it will drop at 7.234 seconds. He executed it perfectly in the heat but in the main either he misread his google glasses or the guy operating the gate recognized Mike was playing the odds like the MIT Black Jack Team and dropped the gate at 7.673 instead. True story Bro!
1/9/2014 4:28pm
He counts and here is proof. It's not humanly possible to have reaction times fast enough to see the gate start to move and then dump the clutch and hit it before it's even half way to the floor. Nothing wrong with doing it in my opinion but it's risky, you either get the holeshot or hit the gate like a joe and end up dead last. It seems to work more times than not. I also remember reading somewhere that a few years ago some factory technicians analysed his shifting and he was shifting at the perfect rpm every single time.

Here's another great Alessi holeshot. If you watch it frame by frame you can see he's already moving before the gate has hit the floor.

Zoom
1/9/2014 4:30pm
FYI....Mike did not race in the Semi. Just sayin"...
Grizz
1/9/2014 4:40pm
There is no conspiracy to it. He guesses when to go, and it usually works out. I do it at certain local races depending on who is doing the gate.
Torco1
1/9/2014 4:42pm
He has the reflexes of a cat......and I mean that literally. His mom is part snow leopard, do you think its a coincidence that we never see her around?
Katoomey
1/9/2014 4:42pm Edited Date/Time 1/9/2014 4:43pm
Grizz wrote:
There is no conspiracy to it. He guesses when to go, and it usually works out. I do it at certain local races depending on who...
There is no conspiracy to it. He guesses when to go, and it usually works out. I do it at certain local races depending on who is doing the gate.
"depending on who is doing the gate." Ironically, that sounds like a conspiracy. Wink
Motodave15
1/9/2014 4:55pm
are you people on drugs??...meth? peyote? something else.

Alessi has unreal starts, and everybody knows this... Trying to look for a reason to bad mouth him, is Beyond ridiculous.

If the man can time it, So fucking be it. maybe the other riders need to learn from him.

You know how many holeshots ive gotten from timing gates in videogames?? More than anybody can imagine... so if he can pull it off in real life, kudos to him.

as you see though, he tried his timing again in the main... and boom (stuck in the gate)... puts your damn conspiracy theory's to bed.
1/9/2014 5:13pm
I remember years ago the gate dropped really fast at almost like 2-3 seconds and Andrew Short got the holeshot. I would like to see them drop it like that again almost right when they turn the board sideways! Not many riders expect that and get left behind.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
1/9/2014 5:19pm
most starters use the same count every time, i used to do it as well and got some big holeshots because of it, and stuck in the gates big time as well, go and watch the gate for the 2 to 3 races before yours, and if you have the balls drop the clutch on the count,
GFMM647
1/9/2014 5:22pm
It looks to me like he is counting down. I say good for him if it works and obviously it does. Everyone knows him for his amazing starting ability. I used to watch the gate drop on a few motos before mine and do a count from when the board went sideways. it was always the same count as long as the starter didn't change. I never tried to time it like Mike does (no where near that good) but it did help me relax and in turn get a better jump because I had a better idea of when it was coming. And of course who didn't line up next to the starter and just go when his foot came down. Holeshot every time.
Outsider
1/9/2014 5:39pm
I'm starting to feel sorry for MikeSad
just James
1/9/2014 5:48pm
I have gotten some really good holeshots by watching a few other motos before mine to see how long the starter dude was hesitating. Then I would pull my bike back about 12-18 inches from the gate, and just before I figured it was about to drop, I would start engaging the clutch and moving forward. When the gate dropped, I was usually at least a bike length ahead of my rivals. Don't know if that would be legal in supercross.
btw, in all my years of racing I NEVER got caught in the gate. Not even once.Smile
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
1/9/2014 5:52pm
I thought it was getting ridiculous in here during the off-season...but it is far worse now. Maybe just first race excitement has people thinking crazy Wink
racin mason
1/9/2014 5:59pm Edited Date/Time 1/9/2014 6:37pm
I think theres going to be alot of guys getting stuck in the gates at the local tracks this weekend......
SEE ARE125
1/9/2014 6:02pm
I think he counts down in his head. I also believe he starts in 3rd instead of 2nd and uses a lot of clutch.
malachi177
1/9/2014 6:14pm
I think theres going to be alot of guys getting stuck in the gates at the local tracks this weekend......
Laughing

Post a reply to: Alessi Start Gate Semi and Main..

The Latest