Alessi '03 Claimed Super Mini FOUND!!!

Oldskool
Edited Date/Time 11/7/2014 12:18am
I have found and purchased Mike Alessi's 2003 Honda Super Mini that was built by Terry Varner and claimed at Loretta Lynn's by Adam Chatfield.

For several years, I have heard and read stories on the internet about the claiming of Mike Alessi's Terry Varner built 2003 Honda Super Mini at Loretta Lynn's by Adam Chatfield. The story goes that Mike protested Adam at Ponca (even though Mike won the race) and had Chatfield's bike torn down. Chatfield's bike passed inspection and was found to be legal. As retribution, Chatfield claimed Alessi's super trick Honda Super Mini while Mike and the bike were still on the podium after winning Mike's last LL race on a mini before moving up to the bike bikes. I am trying to connect with the people that were there and to verify what I have heard many times over the years.

The bike has been sitting in a barn for a while and is not cosmetically up to its former glory. However, it is still complete and all of the Varner tricks are still intact.

If any one on this board knows Terry Varner or the Alessi's, I would like to connect with them prior to restoring this very special bike. I don't know Mr. Varner nor do I know how to contact him. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Here are some pictures that I took right after unloading the bike this afternoon. Of course, I haven't even begun to clean the bike so it's "barn fresh" at this point.

I don't know how to upload images in the proper way. Anyone have any pointers to make it easier and to make the pics show up better? Thanks!
|
7/16/2010 5:39pm
Try contacting VarnerMotorsports.com or at this number:
(909) 227-6156
They are based in California by the way
David Izer
7/16/2010 5:55pm
I was there that day and remember the drama well. Millsaps and Hepler were hauling the mail that week.
BobbyM
7/16/2010 5:58pm
Oldskool wrote:
I have found and purchased Mike Alessi's 2003 Honda Super Mini that was built by Terry Varner and claimed at Loretta Lynn's by Adam Chatfield. For...
I have found and purchased Mike Alessi's 2003 Honda Super Mini that was built by Terry Varner and claimed at Loretta Lynn's by Adam Chatfield.

For several years, I have heard and read stories on the internet about the claiming of Mike Alessi's Terry Varner built 2003 Honda Super Mini at Loretta Lynn's by Adam Chatfield. The story goes that Mike protested Adam at Ponca (even though Mike won the race) and had Chatfield's bike torn down. Chatfield's bike passed inspection and was found to be legal. As retribution, Chatfield claimed Alessi's super trick Honda Super Mini while Mike and the bike were still on the podium after winning Mike's last LL race on a mini before moving up to the bike bikes. I am trying to connect with the people that were there and to verify what I have heard many times over the years.

The bike has been sitting in a barn for a while and is not cosmetically up to its former glory. However, it is still complete and all of the Varner tricks are still intact.

If any one on this board knows Terry Varner or the Alessi's, I would like to connect with them prior to restoring this very special bike. I don't know Mr. Varner nor do I know how to contact him. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Here are some pictures that I took right after unloading the bike this afternoon. Of course, I haven't even begun to clean the bike so it's "barn fresh" at this point.

I don't know how to upload images in the proper way. Anyone have any pointers to make it easier and to make the pics show up better? Thanks!
why would tony alessi protest when mike won a race?

shit that's as bad as gman protesting the doc after having dinner and staying over at the docs house the night before. hell doc even said his Labrador was pregnant after gman left...hmmm. that's a cold shot gman.
flarider
7/16/2010 6:08pm
I was standing in on the bottom deck of the Fox tower next to Tom Morgan watching Varner throw a shit fit of MASSIVE PROPORTIONS and a few others were also standing there when it when it was mentioned that Chatfield had claimed the bike, and we all looked at each other and said "Is that stil on the books?"
It had been so long since a claim, most all of us thought it had been removed from the rulebook.

Varner was pissed, really pissed.
When I talked to him, he was telling me how many hours he had into it and that was his trophy.
I saw them put the bike in a trailer, lock it up until they hashed it all out and the Chatfield's walked away with it

The Shop

Slow
7/16/2010 6:10pm
Nice find!
Oldskool
7/16/2010 6:12pm
flarider wrote:
I was standing in on the bottom deck of the Fox tower next to Tom Morgan watching Varner throw a shit fit of MASSIVE PROPORTIONS and...
I was standing in on the bottom deck of the Fox tower next to Tom Morgan watching Varner throw a shit fit of MASSIVE PROPORTIONS and a few others were also standing there when it when it was mentioned that Chatfield had claimed the bike, and we all looked at each other and said "Is that stil on the books?"
It had been so long since a claim, most all of us thought it had been removed from the rulebook.

When I talked to him, he was telling me how many hours he had into it and that was his trophy.
I saw them put the bike in a trailer, lock it up until they hashed it all out and the Chatfield's walked away with it
This is what I've heard. Were Mike and the bike on the podium when all of this went down? Are there any podium pictures that I might be able to get a hold of?
mxknowitall
7/16/2010 6:12pm
Just out of curiosity what makes you think that is the bike that got claimed and not just one of Mike's 85s?
pcdoc
7/16/2010 6:14pm
I just gained a whole new perspective and respect for the Chatfields (not that I dis'd them before). Sounds like total karma to me, if the story of the Ponca City claim is true.
"What goes around comes around"
jeffseid
7/16/2010 6:17pm
I guess the universe got the alessis back that day
Oldskool
7/16/2010 6:18pm
Just out of curiosity what makes you think that is the bike that got claimed and not just one of Mike's 85s?
There are several things that prove that this is THE bike that got claimed.

I have the "chain of custody' of the bike. Moreover, the modifications that Varner did to this particular bike are unmistakable.

I someone will let me know how to upload pics in an easy manner, I will post up some of the things that can be seen outside the engine.
mx295
7/16/2010 6:18pm
What ever happened to Adam Chatfield anyways?
flarider
7/16/2010 6:19pm
Try contacting VarnerMotorsports.com or at this number:
(909) 227-6156
They are based in California by the way
That would be my first call
flarider
7/16/2010 6:24pm
flarider wrote:
I was standing in on the bottom deck of the Fox tower next to Tom Morgan watching Varner throw a shit fit of MASSIVE PROPORTIONS and...

Oldskool wrote:
This is what I've heard. Were Mike and the bike on the podium when all of this went down? Are there any podium pictures that I...
This is what I've heard. Were Mike and the bike on the podium when all of this went down? Are there any podium pictures that I might be able to get a hold of?
Yeah, Mike was still on the podium, Terry Varner and Tony where pitching a fit to the left of the podium (mike's right)

BTW, I am not sure that is the supermini after looking at the pictures
Wheels look smaller and pipe looks wrong. Terry had some special made pipe on it if I remember right
pcdoc
7/16/2010 6:24pm
mx295....you owe me a laptop screen! kept tryin to kill that damn bug till i stabbed it with a #2 phillips Silly
flarider
7/16/2010 6:26pm
pcdoc wrote:
I just gained a whole new perspective and respect for the Chatfields (not that I dis'd them before). Sounds like total karma to me, if the...
I just gained a whole new perspective and respect for the Chatfields (not that I dis'd them before). Sounds like total karma to me, if the story of the Ponca City claim is true.
"What goes around comes around"
That is part of the legend and it was no secret it was retribution

Personally, I think it was bullshit
Varner had a shitload of time into that bike and my understanding was Terry was supposed to get the bike when it was all over, that was his trophy
The Chatfield's jacked Varner, not the Alessi's
Oldskool
7/16/2010 6:31pm
flarider wrote:

Oldskool wrote:
This is what I've heard. Were Mike and the bike on the podium when all of this went down? Are there any podium pictures that I...
flarider wrote:
Yeah, Mike was still on the podium, Terry Varner and Tony where pitching a fit to the left of the podium (mike's right) BTW, I am...
Yeah, Mike was still on the podium, Terry Varner and Tony where pitching a fit to the left of the podium (mike's right)

Wheels look smaller and pipe looks wrong. Terry had some special made pipe on it if I remember right
It's is the bike because I also have verified the VIN with the referee that handled the claim.

The pipe on the bike is not an "off the shelf" pipe. I'm still working on some of the details and that's why I'm looking for as many pictures as I can find.

The radiator that was on the bike was destroyed when Chatfield crashed the bike later. I'm told that Adam raced the bike at the Mini O's that year just to rub it in but I am looking for any pics of Adam ever racing this bike just to verify.

Any help would be seriously appreciated.
Sanchez
7/16/2010 6:31pm
flarider wrote:
Yeah, Mike was still on the podium, Terry Varner and Tony where pitching a fit to the left of the podium (mike's right) BTW, I am...

Believe the Pype!
flarider
7/16/2010 6:38pm
Oldskool wrote:
It's is the bike because I also have verified the VIN with the referee that handled the claim. The pipe on the bike is not an...
It's is the bike because I also have verified the VIN with the referee that handled the claim.

The pipe on the bike is not an "off the shelf" pipe. I'm still working on some of the details and that's why I'm looking for as many pictures as I can find.

The radiator that was on the bike was destroyed when Chatfield crashed the bike later. I'm told that Adam raced the bike at the Mini O's that year just to rub it in but I am looking for any pics of Adam ever racing this bike just to verify.

Any help would be seriously appreciated.
I was told Adam rode it a few times at home and shelved it

It's hard to tell from the pics

If the vin matches, you win.
(you talked to Carnegie? I think he dealt with it. How is he?)
Oldskool
7/16/2010 6:46pm
I haven't spoken with Carnegie yet. I spoke with Richard White yesterday prior to my buying the bike. He was the other referee (according to him) and he told me the VIN and that matches the bike that I have.

Adam actually traded this bike in to D&S Kawasaki and it sat on the owner's credenza for a few years prior to being sold to the person that I bought it from. The ownership / possession of this bike is rock solid.
Ing
7/16/2010 6:47pm
Neat-O. Seriously a piece of modern mx history.
BobbyM
7/16/2010 6:49pm
flarider wrote:

great story to the bike guys...thanks
DrSweden
7/16/2010 7:01pm
Ing wrote:
Pretty cool story, maybe I'm a bit negative here, but other than a cool story between a few hardcore mx-fans around here does this bike really have a value as a collector item? Especially since I don't see MA getting any titles. Maybe if it's get restored and was used for racing? I guess it's probably still very competitive since there seems to be no or little evolution going on in the mini class?

Just saying of course...
flarider
7/16/2010 7:18pm
Ing wrote:
DrSweden wrote:
Pretty cool story, maybe I'm a bit negative here, but other than a cool story between a few hardcore mx-fans around here does this bike really...
Pretty cool story, maybe I'm a bit negative here, but other than a cool story between a few hardcore mx-fans around here does this bike really have a value as a collector item? Especially since I don't see MA getting any titles. Maybe if it's get restored and was used for racing? I guess it's probably still very competitive since there seems to be no or little evolution going on in the mini class?

Just saying of course...
Valid questions

Had Mike lived up to the hype, the bike would have a lot of value
As it is now, it as some value above blue book, but only to a true collector and more for the story. Up until that bike was claimed, the claim rule was considered dead and forgotten.
pcdoc
7/16/2010 7:23pm Edited Date/Time 7/16/2010 7:25pm
flarider wrote:
That is part of the legend and it was no secret it was retribution Personally, I think it was bullshit Varner had a shitload of time...

Varner had a shitload of time into that bike and my understanding was Terry was supposed to get the bike when it was all over, that was his trophy
flarider, I respect your opinion on this one, and I don't know Terry at all...nor the agreement on his trophy for his work invested. I was really refering to the irony of a rider (any rider) claiming a guys bike and losing the claim, then getting his bike protested and losing his OWN claim...just sayin Wink
Bottom line...one family was cheating, one was not.
ruckus
7/16/2010 7:25pm
Oldskool wrote:
I haven't spoken with Carnegie yet. I spoke with Richard White yesterday prior to my buying the bike. He was the other referee (according to him)...
I haven't spoken with Carnegie yet. I spoke with Richard White yesterday prior to my buying the bike. He was the other referee (according to him) and he told me the VIN and that matches the bike that I have.

Adam actually traded this bike in to D&S Kawasaki and it sat on the owner's credenza for a few years prior to being sold to the person that I bought it from. The ownership / possession of this bike is rock solid.
lol, it sat behind the owners desk... i've seen that bike a million times over the years and dwhite never told me that story. not implying its not true.. just gonna kick rich in the nuts for not saying anything.
JoJmoto
7/16/2010 7:28pm
Pretty cool, looks like the bike. how did you find it and what did you pick it up for? Just wondering what a piece of history goes for..
flarider
7/16/2010 7:28pm
flarider wrote:
That is part of the legend and it was no secret it was retribution Personally, I think it was bullshit Varner had a shitload of time...

pcdoc wrote:
flarider, I respect your opinion on this one, and I don't know Terry at all...nor the agreement on his trophy for his work invested. I was...
flarider, I respect your opinion on this one, and I don't know Terry at all...nor the agreement on his trophy for his work invested. I was really refering to the irony of a rider (any rider) claiming a guys bike and losing the claim, then getting his bike protested and losing his OWN claim...just sayin Wink
To clarify:
At Ponca the Alessi's protested Adam's bike as illegal. After teardown, it was found to be legal. FYI, usually after a teardown, you get it back in a box, unassembled, and even if assembled, would you trust the re-assembly? No, so you have to take it apart and reassemble if returned assembled.
It's just a bitch all the way around

So, Ol Man Chatfield plotted his revenge and showed at LL's with a wad of cash, because it's a cash only process.
ruckus
7/16/2010 7:30pm
flarider wrote:

pcdoc wrote:
flarider, I respect your opinion on this one, and I don't know Terry at all...nor the agreement on his trophy for his work invested. I was...
flarider wrote:
To clarify: At Ponca the Alessi's protested Adam's bike as illegal. After teardown, it was found to be legal. FYI, usually after a teardown, you get...
To clarify:
At Ponca the Alessi's protested Adam's bike as illegal. After teardown, it was found to be legal. FYI, usually after a teardown, you get it back in a box, unassembled, and even if assembled, would you trust the re-assembly? No, so you have to take it apart and reassemble if returned assembled.
It's just a bitch all the way around

So, Ol Man Chatfield plotted his revenge and showed at LL's with a wad of cash, because it's a cash only process.
Ol man Chatfield is a funny mofo!!

Post a reply to: Alessi '03 Claimed Super Mini FOUND!!!

The Latest