Air forks vs. spring forks?

RCMXracing
Production air forks have taken a beating Mike Tyson would be proud of, BUT that's production. It's no secret the factory units work well and are preferred by some pro's. In the mountain bike world spring forks died off ages ago. Any knowledgeable industry/tech insiders think we will see air forks come full circle in a new design for production?
I don't believe a factory air fork is some magical thing that can't be produced for consumers at a reasonable cost level. Clearly WP has a decent production air fork; the AER gets good reviews and it's probably awful compared to a factory KYB or Showa air. If Showa can mimic a factory A kit fork ('17 CRF 450), why not an air version?
|
kiwifan
3/21/2017 7:04pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2017 7:05pm
RCMXracing wrote:
Production air forks have taken a beating Mike Tyson would be proud of, BUT that's production. It's no secret the factory units work well and are...
Production air forks have taken a beating Mike Tyson would be proud of, BUT that's production. It's no secret the factory units work well and are preferred by some pro's. In the mountain bike world spring forks died off ages ago. Any knowledgeable industry/tech insiders think we will see air forks come full circle in a new design for production?
I don't believe a factory air fork is some magical thing that can't be produced for consumers at a reasonable cost level. Clearly WP has a decent production air fork; the AER gets good reviews and it's probably awful compared to a factory KYB or Showa air. If Showa can mimic a factory A kit fork ('17 CRF 450), why not an air version?
Spring forks are a lot simpler to setup, hence why they are still around and probably a reason why Honda went back to them on their 450. Honda could of left them on and had a lighter bike than they have with springs on it...but choose to placate the consumers who were bitching about the air forks and how it impacted the handling. To be fair the spring forks on the new 450 are much better than the standard air forks from 2016...is a WELL setup PSF-1 air fork better than spring forks...maybe ML512 might have some insight there...certainly I think so. Certainly the WP AER's are frigging good....maybe very close to factory?

Yes anyone could make a factory air fork on a production bike...but I bet bike cost would rise.
Monk
3/21/2017 7:10pm
1.) Maintenance.

More bikes end up offroad then on the track and many don't like to check their stuff as part of their maintenance plan. The risk of failure (though slim) can be a real PITA too when your back in the weeds...

2.) Public Opinion.

When a certain rider told the public the 1st gen backwards motor YZF turned like a dump truck, people wouldn't buy them. We're they 'that' bad, no (and now you can buy them for pennies on the dollar) but people took that and have stayed with it. When people made up their mind about AFs, it was/is near impossible to change public opinion, regardless of how good they might be. Yes, the AER forks are a HUGE improvement, but look what they replaced (4cs). Arguably some of the worst fork on the market...

Can the manufacturers do it, sure, probably would be easy. But why? And what might work for you isn't what might work for me.

I would like to see manufacturers offer options from the factory. As and example, KTM would offer you a baseline model with silver wheels and cheap spring forks, 5spd, no estart etc etc. And you can buy a updated package, similar to what you see at a car dealership. But one can dream...
tcallahan707
3/21/2017 7:51pm
Monk wrote:
1.) Maintenance. More bikes end up offroad then on the track and many don't like to check their stuff as part of their maintenance plan. The...
1.) Maintenance.

More bikes end up offroad then on the track and many don't like to check their stuff as part of their maintenance plan. The risk of failure (though slim) can be a real PITA too when your back in the weeds...

2.) Public Opinion.

When a certain rider told the public the 1st gen backwards motor YZF turned like a dump truck, people wouldn't buy them. We're they 'that' bad, no (and now you can buy them for pennies on the dollar) but people took that and have stayed with it. When people made up their mind about AFs, it was/is near impossible to change public opinion, regardless of how good they might be. Yes, the AER forks are a HUGE improvement, but look what they replaced (4cs). Arguably some of the worst fork on the market...

Can the manufacturers do it, sure, probably would be easy. But why? And what might work for you isn't what might work for me.

I would like to see manufacturers offer options from the factory. As and example, KTM would offer you a baseline model with silver wheels and cheap spring forks, 5spd, no estart etc etc. And you can buy a updated package, similar to what you see at a car dealership. But one can dream...
I've always wondered if they will ever do options. It certainly would be nice instead of removing a bunch of brand new parts as soon as I get home. My guess is that it's a numbers game. Car dealerships can have a ton more inventory, thus, a ton more variety with options on the lot. Now ordering/building a car is fairly common so I could see that potentially coming in the future for dirt bikes. It seems that manufacturers are trending in that direction. The "racey" enduro bikes that are coming out seems to bridge a gap, and could be looked at as a MX bike with options. Also, e start is optional for the Honda.
305FC250
3/21/2017 7:54pm
AER 48s are badass right off the showroom floor

The Shop

RCMXracing
3/21/2017 8:34pm
All making some good points here. It's fascinating how Moto guys don't embrace change very well. Hell, the 2 stroke die-hards are still fighting it! Evolution in the MTB world is constant, significant, and it's embraced. I like the idea of options, Ohlins suspension on Ducati's has long been an option. It doesn't seem far fetched to apply to off-road/MX. Again with MTB you start with the basic frame and then several models based on that will have different components, virtually all the components will vary. And a spring fork would be on the lowliest model. Talking Huffy level junk (how a spring fork is viewed).
A complex air fork is definitely a turnoff for the consumer. Nobody wants to dick around with 3 air chambers. Nope. If it's just air replacing the spring, pretty easy to get some good "go to" settings and I would much rather ride on air than a spring. Springs make me think of pogo sticks.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
3/21/2017 10:04pm
305FC250 wrote:
I have friends that would argue that one.... They have slowly been buying Cone Valves, because they just couldn't get the AER's working right. Two of them are on 450's and one of them is on a 250SX.
jbrown15
3/22/2017 12:35am
305FC250 wrote:
langhammx wrote:
I have friends that would argue that one.... They have slowly been buying Cone Valves, because they just couldn't get the AER's working right. Two of...
I have friends that would argue that one.... They have slowly been buying Cone Valves, because they just couldn't get the AER's working right. Two of them are on 450's and one of them is on a 250SX.
Well sadly the 2017 AER forks are a big step up compared to the 2016 4CS forks.
WillMX114
3/22/2017 3:44am
305FC250 wrote:
langhammx wrote:
I have friends that would argue that one.... They have slowly been buying Cone Valves, because they just couldn't get the AER's working right. Two of...
I agree, I cant get mine to work good either. My Spring forks revalved 10 years ago were better than these things.
305FC250
3/22/2017 3:59am
305FC250 wrote:
langhammx wrote:
WillMX114 wrote:
I agree, I cant get mine to work good either. My Spring forks revalved 10 years ago were better than these things.
Mine are stock and I can't find anything to complain about with them. Very plush, very forgiving, soaks everything up nice without feeling harsh. They're great for me.
WillMX114
3/22/2017 4:34am
langhammx wrote:
WillMX114 wrote:
305FC250 wrote:
Mine are stock and I can't find anything to complain about with them. Very plush, very forgiving, soaks everything up nice without feeling harsh. They're great...
Mine are stock and I can't find anything to complain about with them. Very plush, very forgiving, soaks everything up nice without feeling harsh. They're great for me.
What is your weight tho? I'm 185 without gear.
3/22/2017 5:33am
305FC250 wrote:
Mine are stock and I can't find anything to complain about with them. Very plush, very forgiving, soaks everything up nice without feeling harsh. They're great...
And you know what, Broda? That's all that counts.
c0ncEpT
3/22/2017 6:00am
I think a lot of it has to do with ease of set up.

For most guys a spring fork is easy. You send it out and get a good base. From there you might turn a clicker here and there and adjust the sag a few mm depending on the track.

Hell I would say that most non moto guys never even touch the clickers.

When someone gets an air fork that has 3 air chambers along with clickers they're easily confused on what to adjust and where to start. Some of the new stuff with a single chamber might be a lot easier but people still don't want to mess with checking the air every time they take the bike out or in the case of moto every time before they go out on the track.
Motofinne
3/22/2017 6:04am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2017 6:06am
c0ncEpT wrote:
I think a lot of it has to do with ease of set up. For most guys a spring fork is easy. You send it out...
I think a lot of it has to do with ease of set up.

For most guys a spring fork is easy. You send it out and get a good base. From there you might turn a clicker here and there and adjust the sag a few mm depending on the track.

Hell I would say that most non moto guys never even touch the clickers.

When someone gets an air fork that has 3 air chambers along with clickers they're easily confused on what to adjust and where to start. Some of the new stuff with a single chamber might be a lot easier but people still don't want to mess with checking the air every time they take the bike out or in the case of moto every time before they go out on the track.
The thing is, the WP AER fork has one air chamber. It's just as "easy" to set up as a spring fork, actually even easier. And if people are too lazy to check the pressure before they go on the track so be it. Those people probably don't check their tire pressure either and therefore probably doesn't care at all what kind of setup the bike has.

People need to stop comparing "spring forks" vs "air forks". There are so many different systems and models that are very different. Take a look at the WP 4cs and Showa SFF spring forks. Both are for most people crap. You can't put those two forks in the same category as the KYB SSS. Same goes for the different air forks, some are crap and some are good(KYB PSF1 & WP AER).
RCMXracing
3/22/2017 7:02am
Let's bring this back to my OP. To simplify: when/if will works air fork technologies trickle down to production? The kind that KROC won the '16 outdoor championship on?
The initial production air stuff has had a serious failure to launch. KYB and Showa clearly didn't give the consumer their best and now have a bad rep. We KNOW it can be good, great, even superior to springs.
For those that want to claim so and so rider went back to springs...well did they go back to air again? I can't keep up, but from what I gather there's lots of back and forth and what the pros do doesn't really matter considering it's so mental at that level.
The positives of air are incredible plush initial and great bottoming. Also weight savings. It's that mid-stroke that is an issue with production. BTW there is a WP AER cone valve now. I see springs going the way of the Dodo bird, but when will we get the good stuff?!
ML512
Fantasy
54th
3/22/2017 7:44am
RCMXracing wrote:
Let's bring this back to my OP. To simplify: when/if will works air fork technologies trickle down to production? The kind that KROC won the '16...
Let's bring this back to my OP. To simplify: when/if will works air fork technologies trickle down to production? The kind that KROC won the '16 outdoor championship on?
The initial production air stuff has had a serious failure to launch. KYB and Showa clearly didn't give the consumer their best and now have a bad rep. We KNOW it can be good, great, even superior to springs.
For those that want to claim so and so rider went back to springs...well did they go back to air again? I can't keep up, but from what I gather there's lots of back and forth and what the pros do doesn't really matter considering it's so mental at that level.
The positives of air are incredible plush initial and great bottoming. Also weight savings. It's that mid-stroke that is an issue with production. BTW there is a WP AER cone valve now. I see springs going the way of the Dodo bird, but when will we get the good stuff?!
The version of fork that K-Roc won the title on is already available, it's the KYB PSF1 fork. His "works" fork uses the same damping rod and cartridge that comes on the production unit. There's very little about his works fork that is special. Nothing that would really affect the general joe-blow.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
3/22/2017 7:45am
Motofinne wrote:
The thing is, the WP AER fork has one air chamber. It's just as "easy" to set up as a spring fork, actually even easier. And...
The thing is, the WP AER fork has one air chamber. It's just as "easy" to set up as a spring fork, actually even easier. And if people are too lazy to check the pressure before they go on the track so be it. Those people probably don't check their tire pressure either and therefore probably doesn't care at all what kind of setup the bike has.

People need to stop comparing "spring forks" vs "air forks". There are so many different systems and models that are very different. Take a look at the WP 4cs and Showa SFF spring forks. Both are for most people crap. You can't put those two forks in the same category as the KYB SSS. Same goes for the different air forks, some are crap and some are good(KYB PSF1 & WP AER).
WP AER fork has three air chambers. One is blocked off and the other two have a bleed that balances/connects them when the fork is fully extended.
Motofinne
3/22/2017 8:16am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2017 8:21am
ML512 wrote:
WP AER fork has three air chambers. One is blocked off and the other two have a bleed that balances/connects them when the fork is fully...
WP AER fork has three air chambers. One is blocked off and the other two have a bleed that balances/connects them when the fork is fully extended.
I should have been more specific/used other words, i meant only one schrader valve that you adjust the pressure with.

But would you agree with me on that i don't like to put all air forks in one category and all spring forks in one category?
ML512
Fantasy
54th
3/22/2017 8:22am
Motofinne wrote:
I should have been more specific/used other words, i meant only one schrader valve that you adjust the pressure with. But would you agree with me...
I should have been more specific/used other words, i meant only one schrader valve that you adjust the pressure with.

But would you agree with me on that i don't like to put all air forks in one category and all spring forks in one category?
I agree.
RCMXracing
3/22/2017 8:54am
ML512 wrote:
The version of fork that K-Roc won the title on is already available, it's the KYB PSF1 fork. His "works" fork uses the same damping rod...
The version of fork that K-Roc won the title on is already available, it's the KYB PSF1 fork. His "works" fork uses the same damping rod and cartridge that comes on the production unit. There's very little about his works fork that is special. Nothing that would really affect the general joe-blow.
Well, now that's interesting. So where did things go wrong with the consumer? Suspension tuners have made LOADS of cash converting KYB air to spring. IMHO some of it is former pro's like Ping and some magazine guys saying over and over how they HATE air forks. Repeat something often enough and it becomes truth in people's minds.
So ML512 do you think or have any insight if Showa and KYB will come full circle with air production units? I mean if KYB's PSF1 was in reality a good fork, just needs tuned properly, then...where's the problem?! The whole thing is strange.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
3/22/2017 8:59am
RCMXracing wrote:
Well, now that's interesting. So where did things go wrong with the consumer? Suspension tuners have made LOADS of cash converting KYB air to spring. IMHO...
Well, now that's interesting. So where did things go wrong with the consumer? Suspension tuners have made LOADS of cash converting KYB air to spring. IMHO some of it is former pro's like Ping and some magazine guys saying over and over how they HATE air forks. Repeat something often enough and it becomes truth in people's minds.
So ML512 do you think or have any insight if Showa and KYB will come full circle with air production units? I mean if KYB's PSF1 was in reality a good fork, just needs tuned properly, then...where's the problem?! The whole thing is strange.
The PSF1 is no longer available on a production bike. The stock settings just missed the mark and they stepped by them too quickly. They were only on production bikes for like two years...

The fork is available in kit form from Enzo or Technical Touch.

In Showa's case, I see them just sticking to spring.

WP seems to be fine going forward on air...and KYB is questionable.
captmoto
3/22/2017 9:31am
RCMXracing wrote:
Well, now that's interesting. So where did things go wrong with the consumer? Suspension tuners have made LOADS of cash converting KYB air to spring. IMHO...
The consumer doesn't have a dedicated suspension tech that caters to one rider only and has a deep technical understanding and experience, from it's initial concept maybe, working with the fork. It was too big a leap in technology for the average rider.
Titan1
3/22/2017 9:54am
I struggled with my air forks until TBT Suspension informed me that the air replaces the spring...just like their is a correct spring rate for your weight...so also is there a correct air pressure (Or pressures) for your weight. TBT told me what pressures they recommend for my weight...I set the pressures there and essentially forget about it (I check the air pressure with significant changes in altitude and temperature...but for my usual spots...I don't even mess with it).

Nobody changes their springs at the track/trail to suit the track/trail conditions, right? So why are people adjusting air pressures to suit the track/trail conditions?

In both spring and air forks, the clickers and sag are what is adjusted to suit the track/trail conditions.

Anyway..once I learned that little bit of information...I've had no issue AT ALL with my air forks...and I really like how they perform.
Skidaddle
3/22/2017 10:28am
Titan1 wrote:
I struggled with my air forks until TBT Suspension informed me that the air replaces the spring...just like their is a correct spring rate for your...
I struggled with my air forks until TBT Suspension informed me that the air replaces the spring...just like their is a correct spring rate for your weight...so also is there a correct air pressure (Or pressures) for your weight. TBT told me what pressures they recommend for my weight...I set the pressures there and essentially forget about it (I check the air pressure with significant changes in altitude and temperature...but for my usual spots...I don't even mess with it).

Nobody changes their springs at the track/trail to suit the track/trail conditions, right? So why are people adjusting air pressures to suit the track/trail conditions?

In both spring and air forks, the clickers and sag are what is adjusted to suit the track/trail conditions.

Anyway..once I learned that little bit of information...I've had no issue AT ALL with my air forks...and I really like how they perform.
Did I just read You needed a suspension place inform you that the air replaces the spring?
I struggled with my air forks until TBT Suspension informed me that the air replaces the spring..

Air has been a secondary spring in forks forever! It's in the forks nature to have an air spring since the oil level determined the effect of that air.

If you take out the coil, what did you think they replaced it with?

MXD
3/22/2017 10:35am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2017 10:35am
Titan1 wrote:
I struggled with my air forks until TBT Suspension informed me that the air replaces the spring...just like their is a correct spring rate for your...

Skidaddle wrote:
Did I just read You needed a suspension place inform you that the air replaces the spring? [i]I struggled with my air forks until TBT Suspension...
Did I just read You needed a suspension place inform you that the air replaces the spring?
I struggled with my air forks until TBT Suspension informed me that the air replaces the spring..

Air has been a secondary spring in forks forever! It's in the forks nature to have an air spring since the oil level determined the effect of that air.

Your reply adds zero value. Your sole purpose was to embarrass someone for not understanding something. Stuff like this is what makes this place lame.
Skidaddle
3/22/2017 10:36am
captmoto wrote:
The consumer doesn't have a dedicated suspension tech that caters to one rider only and has a deep technical understanding and experience, from it's initial concept...
The consumer doesn't have a dedicated suspension tech that caters to one rider only and has a deep technical understanding and experience, from it's initial concept maybe, working with the fork. It was too big a leap in technology for the average rider.
The first air spring most people fiddle with is a basketball, or air in their bike tires.

Its not real rocket science. The problem with spring forks is slow leakage and most just want to go ride.

If your tires are a pound or two hard or soft, its no big deal, and you have a larger volume, so a little seepage has a lesser effect.
On a fork, a little bit of loss and its a totally different fork setting.

I hate air suspension. Not because it doesn't work, but because its not consistent without constant maintainance. I have way too many machines (12)to maintain as it is on a regular basis, not counting 7 vehicles.

Set it and forget it(for the most part) is nice.

I dumped 4 Fox Evol 3s for a full set of Walker Evans, once set, I haven't touched them all year.
Skidaddle
3/22/2017 10:39am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2017 10:40am
MXD wrote:
Your reply adds zero value. Your sole purpose was to embarrass someone for not understanding something. Stuff like this is what makes this place lame.
I have no problem with someone not understanding something.
He's a self proclaimed know it all. That's the difference.

That response is like Jody saying he doesn't understand the effect of adding 1 tooth.
Savvy?
tcallahan707
3/22/2017 10:41am
Titan1 wrote:

I get the feeling you misinterpreted why people are checking their pressures before every ride (and throughout the day). They aren't changing it to suit track conditions. They are setting their pressure to whatever they typically run. Same as checking tire pressure. That doesn't mean some aren't changing it depending on track and conditions, just as one would change a tire pressure sometimes. I think the majority just run one PSI setting, but find it annoying to have to set that every day.
Tracktor
3/22/2017 10:56am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2017 10:58am
Skidaddle wrote:
I have no problem with someone not understanding something. He's a self proclaimed know it all. That's the difference. That response is like Jody saying he...

That response is like Jody saying he doesn't understand the effect of adding 1 tooth.
Savvy?
Kinda like you and lending? Gotta love an unconscious incompetent..........

I tried air forks on my CRF450r for a few rides and hated them. I went to spring forks and couldn't be happier. I do have a decent understanding of suspension but simply don't see the need for so many adjustments for the average rider. It just complicates things. Set my spring rate and let me adjust comp & rebound for the track conditions and ride..............
Titan1
3/22/2017 11:11am
Titan1 wrote:

Skidaddle wrote:
Did I just read You needed a suspension place inform you that the air replaces the spring? [i]I struggled with my air forks until TBT Suspension...

Yes, Premixjunkie, you read that right...when I first got the bike with air forks, myself-and everyone around me, was adjusting air pressures to suit the track conditions (like they were clickers)...I didn't think anything of it, and did the same...when I sent them off to be revalved TBT corrected me on that. (I've since seen a video of Bones from Pro Circuit saying the same thing...and I believe he even mentioned that its a big problem...so I'm not the only one). Unfortunately, that info wasn't in my files...
Titan1
3/22/2017 11:27am
MXD wrote:
Skidaddle wrote:
I have no problem with someone not understanding something. He's a self proclaimed know it all. That's the difference. That response is like Jody saying he...

Savvy?
I've never proclaimed to know everything about suspension or even dirt bikes in general.

Mortgages? Sure...that's what I do for a living (like you...used too, right?)...

Post a reply to: Air forks vs. spring forks?

The Latest