Air forks: brilliant or sales killing blunder

user760a
Edited Date/Time 4/22/2013 9:54am
I just spoke to a friend today who just got a 13 RMZ450. He said he really wanted a KX450F but did not want to mess with air forks. This reminds me of another guy who I dont really know, a 13 KX450F owner. This guy was asking around at the track, in search of a 12 KX450F owner who would be willing to trade standard forks for his air forks, not sure if he found a taker.

Then there is my personal feeling, if I were in the market for a new bike, I would hunt down a 12 KX450F, simply because I personally want nothing to do with air forks and the constant pressure checks and adjustments

I am starting to think that there are quite a few people who can and will choose a bike with standard forks over the air fork simply because they don't care to mess with yet another part requiring maintainence and constant attention
|
mx317
3/31/2013 7:51pm
I like mine. I go up or down a PSI or 2 from one track to the next. One track I ride has a lot of big downhills with braking bumps and I run 37 PSI there. Another track tends to be smoother and flatter so I run 35 there. 21 hours with no problems yet. My only concern with them is a blown fork seal and even then you would see it start leaking and have to add air between motos to get through the day. I bought one of those Risk racing seal cleaners just in case though.
3/31/2013 8:03pm
user760a wrote:
I just spoke to a friend today who just got a 13 RMZ450. He said he really wanted a KX450F but did not want to mess...
I just spoke to a friend today who just got a 13 RMZ450. He said he really wanted a KX450F but did not want to mess with air forks. This reminds me of another guy who I dont really know, a 13 KX450F owner. This guy was asking around at the track, in search of a 12 KX450F owner who would be willing to trade standard forks for his air forks, not sure if he found a taker.

Then there is my personal feeling, if I were in the market for a new bike, I would hunt down a 12 KX450F, simply because I personally want nothing to do with air forks and the constant pressure checks and adjustments

I am starting to think that there are quite a few people who can and will choose a bike with standard forks over the air fork simply because they don't care to mess with yet another part requiring maintainence and constant attention
I totally agree, I always thought that it would be awesome to be able to "special order" a bike just the way you want it. Go to the dealership, sit down with the salesman, and start with the bare minimum "base model" motorcycle.

Go through, be able to pick the parts you want for your bike so you can tailor it to the riding you do. Race in the desert? Add an oversize tank and steering stabilizer. Race in the woods? Add a skid plate and bark busters. Race moto? Be able to select what type of fork (air, SFF, conventional) you want on your bike and be able to choose if you want extra coatings on the fork legs, etc.

I think that most motorcycle manufacturers shove new things down our throats because they know they can since there are so few companies to choose from when buying a new dirt bike.

I think if KTM or another company changed how they sold their bikes, and built them at the factory specifically for how the customer ordered the bike, that it would be an awesome marketing strategy.

For example, walk into the dealership, and you could order a BASE model 125cc ktm 2 stroke dirt bike for $4500. Offer the same engine and frame, but be able to upgrade the suspension, brakes, exhaust, controls, etc. to exactly what you want. I don't think Suzuki, Honda, or Kawasaki would ever try it. But Yamaha could possibly because of their GYTR aftermarket parts program; and also KTM, hey have a huge selection of trick aftermarket parts that you can order from them!
3/31/2013 8:32pm
Maybe brilliant for the top .001% of riders. Most purchasers won't notice any improvement and the new tech is only going to raise prices and introduce more complexity in fork servicing.
TeamGreen
3/31/2013 8:32pm
SFFs over Airs?

Uh, no.

I'll go with MC on this one.

The Shop

dak446
3/31/2013 8:37pm
TeamGreen wrote:
SFFs over Airs?

Uh, no.

Depends on the situation. Average consumer vs. Professional. Technically savvy vs. not mechanically inclined. Money to spend vs. bangin' on a budget.

This conversation requires more than a one liner.
wardy
3/31/2013 8:38pm
From the suspension people i talked to this "air" fork is a remake of an older experiment which the cost of the product is less to build and maintain, yet is a "upgrade" marketing tool.

I know i wouldn't want them. but i am old and these are the "new" thing. hell i am not over the 4 stroke thing yet. Smile
TeamGreen
3/31/2013 8:41pm
TeamGreen wrote:
SFFs over Airs?

Uh, no.

dak446 wrote:
Depends on the situation. Average consumer vs. Professional. Technically savvy vs. not mechanically inclined. Money to spend vs. bangin' on a budget. This conversation requires more...
Depends on the situation. Average consumer vs. Professional. Technically savvy vs. not mechanically inclined. Money to spend vs. bangin' on a budget.

This conversation requires an air pump and gauge.

That's about it.

We're talking production stuff. That's all Jeremy's been running as of late: he loves the forks on the '13 Honda. I've seen him pound whoops, slam rocks and jump hill sides on STOCK Stuff...he runs the air where he likes it and Voila!

Braaaaap!
MotoTones
3/31/2013 8:42pm
The days of having a leaky seal and still being able to ride are over with the air fork.
dak446
3/31/2013 8:44pm
TeamGreen wrote:
SFFs over Airs?

Uh, no.

dak446 wrote:
Depends on the situation. Average consumer vs. Professional. Technically savvy vs. not mechanically inclined. Money to spend vs. bangin' on a budget. This conversation requires more...

TeamGreen wrote:
This conversation requires an air pump and gauge. That's about it. We're talking production stuff. That's all Jeremy's been running as of late: he loves the...

That's about it.

We're talking production stuff. That's all Jeremy's been running as of late: he loves the forks on the '13 Honda. I've seen him pound whoops, slam rocks and jump hill sides on STOCK Stuff...he runs the air where he likes it and Voila!

Braaaaap!
I understand, but like I said, it depends on the user. Just because a former SX champ likes it doesn't mean it's right for everyone.

Personally, I like the SFF on the Suzuki better than the air on the Honda or Kawi, but it has more to do with the bike itself than the suspension.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
3/31/2013 9:09pm
TeamGreen wrote:
This conversation requires an air pump and gauge. That's about it. We're talking production stuff. That's all Jeremy's been running as of late: he loves the...

That's about it.

Braaaaap!
And then when he blows a seal he pulls an extra free bike from Honda out of the truck and motos on.

Most riders don't have that luxury.
nytsmaC
3/31/2013 9:42pm
Bigoldbeef wrote:
I totally agree, I always thought that it would be awesome to be able to "special order" a bike just the way you want it. Go...
I totally agree, I always thought that it would be awesome to be able to "special order" a bike just the way you want it. Go to the dealership, sit down with the salesman, and start with the bare minimum "base model" motorcycle.

Go through, be able to pick the parts you want for your bike so you can tailor it to the riding you do. Race in the desert? Add an oversize tank and steering stabilizer. Race in the woods? Add a skid plate and bark busters. Race moto? Be able to select what type of fork (air, SFF, conventional) you want on your bike and be able to choose if you want extra coatings on the fork legs, etc.

I think that most motorcycle manufacturers shove new things down our throats because they know they can since there are so few companies to choose from when buying a new dirt bike.

I think if KTM or another company changed how they sold their bikes, and built them at the factory specifically for how the customer ordered the bike, that it would be an awesome marketing strategy.

For example, walk into the dealership, and you could order a BASE model 125cc ktm 2 stroke dirt bike for $4500. Offer the same engine and frame, but be able to upgrade the suspension, brakes, exhaust, controls, etc. to exactly what you want. I don't think Suzuki, Honda, or Kawasaki would ever try it. But Yamaha could possibly because of their GYTR aftermarket parts program; and also KTM, hey have a huge selection of trick aftermarket parts that you can order from them!
Beta and TM do this to some extent.

TM's come standard with Marzocchi forks.

A new TM 144EN is $8000 up here. Add $350 if you want KYB's, and another $150 if you want adjustable rubber mounted bar clamps. These extras are the same across the whole line.

A KTM 150XC is $8150.

A TM 250/300EN base price is is $8100/$8200.

KTM 250/300XC is $9050/9150.

TM 250/450F En is $9300/9700. Add E-start for $400.

KTM 250/350/450XC-F is $9450/$10000/$10200.

Beta lets you customize even more.
It's nice that you can pick and choose how you want your bike configured according to your preferences and budget. One of the advantages of small production runs I guess.
3/31/2013 11:51pm
Bigoldbeef wrote:
I totally agree, I always thought that it would be awesome to be able to "special order" a bike just the way you want it. Go...

nytsmaC wrote:
Beta and TM do this to some extent. TM's come standard with Marzocchi forks. A new TM 144EN is $8000 up here. Add $350 if you...
Beta and TM do this to some extent.

TM's come standard with Marzocchi forks.

A new TM 144EN is $8000 up here. Add $350 if you want KYB's, and another $150 if you want adjustable rubber mounted bar clamps. These extras are the same across the whole line.

A KTM 150XC is $8150.

A TM 250/300EN base price is is $8100/$8200.

KTM 250/300XC is $9050/9150.

TM 250/450F En is $9300/9700. Add E-start for $400.

KTM 250/350/450XC-F is $9450/$10000/$10200.

Beta lets you customize even more.
It's nice that you can pick and choose how you want your bike configured according to your preferences and budget. One of the advantages of small production runs I guess.
Don't know about the rest of the prices you listed, but the 2013 KTM 300 XC is nowhere near the $9,150 price you show.

$8,299 is the MSRP and if you know a good dealer they go for less than that. Wink

Mine did anyway.
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2797th
3/31/2013 11:52pm Edited Date/Time 3/31/2013 11:52pm
Those are Canadian prices
4/1/2013 12:20am Edited Date/Time 4/1/2013 12:24am
Derpin' DJ wrote:
Aha.

Still way high according to Canadian/US conversion calculator online.

It shows 8442.74 Canadian equals 8299 US
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
4/1/2013 12:28am
Our dollar's buying 1.04 US cents... Spending spree be on the cards!
ando
4/1/2013 2:36am
Derpin' DJ wrote:
Aha.

Since when did currency exchange rates have anything to do with individual country pricing?

The Aussie dollar is higher than both US and CAN and you don't want to know the prices of bikes over here...
kevin204
Fantasy
2865th
4/1/2013 2:52am
Derpin' DJ wrote:
Aha.

That's the way it works here. Hence why I buy 90% of my shit off eBay from the US.
mmcmx
4/1/2013 3:58am
I hate them and wont buy one couldn't care less what MC says.
Highsider
4/1/2013 5:32am Edited Date/Time 4/1/2013 6:36am
I was over them in 1976 when Yamaha came out with the two-chamber air fork.Whistling
Several were kitted back to conventional springs.
BTW: I was a dealer at the time and tried to use them in "good faith".
user760a
4/1/2013 7:15am
TeamGreen wrote:
SFFs over Airs?

Uh, no.

MC is a team player who bleeds red. Of course he likes them, what is he going to do, come out and say they are trouble for your average guy? He is essentially a highly respected representative of Honda at this point, I imagine if they used a stack of marshmallows instead of a spring, MC would like it pretty well. And they would work well because MC would have HRC marshmallows and a factory technician to set the forks up.

I am just thinking the extra attention needed is trouble. I sometimes ride in mud. believe that? yes, I do. and it is very hard on fork seals. I dont want to have to load up and go home every time my seals are slightly compromised. I also like to race two hour races off road. who wants to have the front end of the bike start sagging mid race due to a small leak. That is the biggest issue I bet
mxman
4/1/2013 8:34am
I've got about 10 hrs on my 13 KXF. Stock they are better than my 08 CRF450 was with a local revalve. I just got them back from factory Connection last week and I'll say they are definitely the best forks I have ridden.
Adam43
4/1/2013 9:43am
You can't even point to the weight savings of the air fork as an advantage of the new CRF450 when it's still equipped with two Midas-sized mufflers.
Funyun
4/1/2013 9:56am
I don't understand why people keep mentioning that with air shocks and ruining your day from a blown seal. I don't know much about the new air shocks on these bikes but are they a shitty design or is their something I'm missing? Quads and sleds have been using air shocks for awhile now without problems.
mxman
4/1/2013 10:13am
Funyun wrote:
I don't understand why people keep mentioning that with air shocks and ruining your day from a blown seal. I don't know much about the new...
I don't understand why people keep mentioning that with air shocks and ruining your day from a blown seal. I don't know much about the new air shocks on these bikes but are they a shitty design or is their something I'm missing? Quads and sleds have been using air shocks for awhile now without problems.
I will say both forks where leaking oil hence i sent them to FC...... They should not have been leaking after 10hrs.
crf250pilot
4/1/2013 11:33am Edited Date/Time 4/1/2013 11:34am
Funyun wrote:
I don't understand why people keep mentioning that with air shocks and ruining your day from a blown seal. I don't know much about the new...
Pull the springs out of your forks and put them back together without the springs, then you'll understand.
BD233
4/1/2013 1:12pm
Funyun wrote:
You didn't see Dungey on the low rider? No air=no ride
ando
4/1/2013 1:33pm
Yes, they'll probably go the way of other high tech innovations that sounded like good ideas, but made bikes more complex, more difficult to repair and more likely to fail when miles from anywhere.

You know, things like water cooling, fuel injection, electronic ignition, electric start etc.
Funyun
4/1/2013 1:40pm
So basically these are just poorly made then you are saying? The problem isn't air shocks the problem is with whoever is making them with a shitty design. I've never heard of reliability problems from people running air shocks on sleds/quads I don't see why it would be so hard to make it work on a bike.
DrSweden
4/1/2013 3:25pm
One hear about issues, but some still claim they are superior? The pro and cons goes in favor of cons if this repeated leaking reports has any bearing. I have a feeling the PR-release on the 14 model will have some upgrades seals or whatever?

Maybe it's the brave new wold, but I would feel a bit anxious buying the first generation...

Post a reply to: Air forks: brilliant or sales killing blunder

The Latest