After watching Rocen's fall...

Moto75
Edited Date/Time 1/28/2015 11:22am
Anyone else feel like asterisk should be empowered to administer a quick field test after a big accident? Rider's feel so much pressure to get back on the track, but may not be in the right state of mind to make that decision. Roczen seemed a bit wobbly, I think of several times Stewart seemed out of it getting back on the bike. A simple test, a few easy questions - like what city are you in, what team do you ride for, etc. Seems an extra 5 to 10 seconds could help make that decision for a disoriented rider.
|
hvaughn88
1/28/2015 6:56am
Moto75 wrote:
Anyone else feel like asterisk should be empowered to administer a quick field test after a big accident? Rider's feel so much pressure to get back...
Anyone else feel like asterisk should be empowered to administer a quick field test after a big accident? Rider's feel so much pressure to get back on the track, but may not be in the right state of mind to make that decision. Roczen seemed a bit wobbly, I think of several times Stewart seemed out of it getting back on the bike. A simple test, a few easy questions - like what city are you in, what team do you ride for, etc. Seems an extra 5 to 10 seconds could help make that decision for a disoriented rider.
I get what you're saying, just doesn't seem like the environment is too accommodating for that. I don't know that in between lanes of a supercross track with other bikes flying by is the greatest spot to be accurately administering any sort of concussion test. I don't really know what the answer is, or if there is one, but asterisk seems to be doing a good job to me.
Hut
1/28/2015 6:59am Edited Date/Time 1/28/2015 7:12am
I thought when they helped Stewart get back on at Daytona a couple years ago was completely crazy. But he went on to ride excellent so I dunno...

The Shop

Moto75
1/28/2015 7:03am
I think they are too, but I don't think they have the power to temporarily keep a rider from re-entering the race. Verbal communication might not be the way to go, maybe a vision test of following the finger or a balance test. Thinking long term, look at what the NFL is going through with suits by former players due to concussions. Seems it would be in every ones best interest.
BD233
1/28/2015 7:31am
That's a very fine line to walk...these guys train and give everything they have and one DNF could ruin their season. I think you have to let the rider make that choice. I know Asterick does have a quick look at the rider before they let them go...and every crash is different. Kenny's crash, I wouldn't think was a concussion concern so as long as his limbs worked he was good to go. Stewart at Daytona.... seemed like his bell was rung pretty badly, he came back and rode great...I don't know if there is a right answer to this question.....but it seems the riders make the correct call most of the time.
BobbyM
1/28/2015 7:57am
If you can get back on the bike you can ride IMHO.
IWreckALot
1/28/2015 8:10am
Moto75 wrote:
I think they are too, but I don't think they have the power to temporarily keep a rider from re-entering the race. Verbal communication might not...
I think they are too, but I don't think they have the power to temporarily keep a rider from re-entering the race. Verbal communication might not be the way to go, maybe a vision test of following the finger or a balance test. Thinking long term, look at what the NFL is going through with suits by former players due to concussions. Seems it would be in every ones best interest.
I'm not an attorney so I don't know what angles could be argued, but the NFL situation seems like it was quite a bit different than SX. An NFL game takes 3 hours, and there are breaks throughout the game. A lot of the players with issues were encouraged to mask the concussion symptoms and the medical staff would give them sniffing salts and told to go back in to the game where they took more hits.

SX has an unbiased 3rd party there to make judgement calls, and they exercise their diagnosis as thoroughly as possible with every incident. So it's not like they're trying to encourage the rider to do something they're not willing to do or not competent enough to decide on. There is still risk involved, but it's SX.

I'm not trying to discourage concussion protocol improvement, but most of the cross sport comparisons I've seen here on vital are situationally different.
Old Mate
1/28/2015 10:12am
I think if they are down long enough under yellow flag for the Astericks guys to evaluate then they should be able to make a safety decision but if the rider is making the effort to get going again before they get there then it's race on.
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
1/28/2015 10:57am
any normal person can tell if a rider is "out of it" after a crash, bail, case, etc.......to be able to continue racing ....
brimx153
1/28/2015 11:22am
it looked like he was hurting .never seemed to be knocked out to me .he was kneeling in pain .

Post a reply to: After watching Rocen's fall...

The Latest