Adderall in moto, My opinion.

Alvear999
Edited Date/Time 6/19/2014 4:56pm
I have been reading a lot lately on how SOME people think adderall should be allowed in sports. I just wanted to give my take on it all and maybe enlighten some of those who do not know how it works/feels.

I have tried it for school. As said many times, it is popular among college students because of its affects studying/test taking. I do not have ADD of any sort. (that i am aware of). I found that when i took it, it GREATLY increased my focus on whatever I was doing.

While I have only taken it a handful of times for school ONLY, i never took any before motos, though I could definitely see it giving an unfair advantage. The amount of concentration/focus I could do with it was unprecedented. I could only imagine what that kind of focus that could do to someone on a track.

While I never used to for riding, I was very curious what it could do and thought about doing it once for the hell of it but ended up deciding not to because of the way it made my heart beat, which back when i was training for nationals a couple years ago my heart rate was peaking around 195 during 30 min motos. (dont look for me in results, you wont see me. helicopter ride with brain bleed means only fun riding now Pinch )

All and all, It gives a big boost to energy, and an even BIGGER boost to concentration to which i would feel at a major disadvantage if i knew someone i was racing against had it. In other words if someone could run the same pace as i before the medicine, they would FOR SURE be faster as a direct result of the focus/energy.

Again, this is all based on how this affected ME, because it can definitely affects others in other ways.
And unless the rider has been prescribed it previous to his pro career, it should be illegal for them to use. I dont care if they recently got diagnosed with ADD/ADHD or not, they managed before, they can keep managing or hang up pro boots.

This is all my opinion, take that into consideration. Everyone has different views. Just wanted to enlighten people who have not experienced adderall on its affects and what I think about it.

This stuff isn't on the same level as steroids or something, but still gives an unfair advantage.

tl;dr
I do not have ADD. (not aware at least)
I have taken adderall for college and seen major improvements in grades.
MASSIVE focus/energy
Depending on how it affects you it CAN make you faster.
Completely unfair and should be illegal in sports, unless prescribe PRIOR to pro career.
All my opinion from experience.
|
Grizz
6/17/2014 3:19pm
Who's gunna draw the line saying who needs it and who doesn't.

I've had ADHD my entire life. I don't take adderall, I take something else, but I have to take it every day or I won't get anything done.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
6/17/2014 3:20pm Edited Date/Time 6/17/2014 3:23pm
I don't know. It seemed that the one time I took it I had super tunnel vision on one thing, not multiple fast reactions. I don't know for sure but I was blurry out side of the tunnel it seemed.I was amazing inside though. Lol I didn't take it intentionally though so I could be wrong. Mother in law thought it was a pain killer years ago and gave it to me and then we figured it out. If you took it every day you would be used to it I guess.
Alvear999
6/17/2014 3:21pm
Grizz wrote:
Who's gunna draw the line saying who needs it and who doesn't. I've had ADHD my entire life. I don't take adderall, I take something else...

I've had ADHD my entire life. I don't take adderall, I take something else, but I have to take it every day or I won't get anything done.
That is why I feel like if you were diagnosed prior to your pro career, it should be allowed.
gharmon
6/17/2014 3:24pm
when I was in nursing school I tried one a couple different times and didnt notice anything at all.

The Shop

6/17/2014 3:24pm
My doctor told me that, in his opinion, there is no objective test for ADD.

Grizz
6/17/2014 3:25pm
Grizz wrote:
Who's gunna draw the line saying who needs it and who doesn't. I've had ADHD my entire life. I don't take adderall, I take something else...

Alvear999 wrote:
That is why I feel like if you were diagnosed prior to your pro career, it should be allowed.
Ahhhh I see. I didn't catch that part in your original post.

I'd say by the time you're 18, you should know whether you need something or not Laughing
drmarkr
6/17/2014 3:25pm
The PE effect will be pretty trivial for those that take it chronically....but if it's only taken periodically i.e. race day/night, the effect will be quite dramatic.

me_da_racer
6/17/2014 3:53pm
So from what I'm reading here none of y'all have tried it for moto?
munsch121
6/17/2014 5:22pm
I have never taken Adderall, but I have taken Provigil.....its like everything is slowed down and suddenly becomes clear, Im not one to promote the usage of pharmaceuticals, but it was like a religious experience riding while on Provigil.
6/17/2014 5:24pm
munsch121 wrote:
I have never taken Adderall, but I have taken Provigil.....its like everything is slowed down and suddenly becomes clear, Im not one to promote the usage...
I have never taken Adderall, but I have taken Provigil.....its like everything is slowed down and suddenly becomes clear, Im not one to promote the usage of pharmaceuticals, but it was like a religious experience riding while on Provigil.
Hmmm...sounds enticing.
munsch121
6/17/2014 5:34pm
munsch121 wrote:
I have never taken Adderall, but I have taken Provigil.....its like everything is slowed down and suddenly becomes clear, Im not one to promote the usage...
Hmmm...sounds enticing.
U was working insane shifts and mentioned it to my Dr that I felt like a zombie. He prescribed it, even not riding I was amazed. The ONLY reason i stopped taking it because in the back of my mind I was thinking "anything that makes this much of a difference has to have a side effect I don't know about"...just to a web search on Provigil or Modafinil.
MXD
6/17/2014 5:47pm Edited Date/Time 6/17/2014 7:00pm
I've raced on both Adderall and Xanax (not at the same time). I didn't notice anything on the Adderall but the Xanax cut my arm pump by probably 80% which allowed me to ride at 100% for the whole moto. It was definitely an advantage for me. Maybe the Adderall would have a greater effect on guys riding at a much higher level than me but I didn't notice anything.
Huey497
6/17/2014 5:54pm
I've taken Addies a handful if times... First time was to drive through the night to get to Loretta's from Iowa (just for spectating). It really wakes you up and made me talk my buddies ear off. The other times we would take them while out drinking and I'm pretty sure I could drink twice the amount of beers as normal. Let me tell ya the day after is rough. That was about 8 years ago, so I'm way too old for that shit now. The stuff can't be good for you if you don't really need it.
Gringoe
6/17/2014 5:55pm
MXD wrote:
I've raced on both Adderall and Xanax (not at the same time). I didn't notice anything on the Adderall but the Xanax cut my arm pump...
I've raced on both Adderall and Xanax (not at the same time). I didn't notice anything on the Adderall but the Xanax cut my arm pump by probably 80% which allowed me to ride at 100% for the whole moto. It was definitely an advantage for me. Maybe the Adderall would have a greater effect on guys riding at a much higher level than me but I didn't notice anything.
Raced on Xanax? Jesus Christ bro. That sketchy
MXD
6/17/2014 6:00pm Edited Date/Time 6/17/2014 6:05pm
MXD wrote:
I've raced on both Adderall and Xanax (not at the same time). I didn't notice anything on the Adderall but the Xanax cut my arm pump...
Gringoe wrote:
Raced on Xanax? Jesus Christ bro. That sketchy
It's not as bad as you might think. Despite the common perception, Xanax doesn't just zap you and make you keel over and drool for hours on end. Sure, if you take it and lay on your couch you'll likely fall asleep but if you're up and around, you barely notice that you took it except that your body is loose and relaxed. If you're doing something intense like racing mx, you can't even tell you took it. The ONLY effect it has on me during moto that I can absolutely feel is a dramatic reduction in arm pump. Other than that, nothing. As far as dosage, I usually take .5mg which is pretty small but it's all I need. I talked to my doctor about it and he said it was no big deal. As long as I had adrenaline pumping and I was focused, it would have basically no effect on my concentration until I stopped and relaxed my mind. From what I've felt, his opinion seems spot on.
RMT
6/17/2014 6:05pm
For the people that have said they took it, at what dose? That makes a big difference. Also, did you take the regular Adderall or the XR? Another big difference. People that truly have ADD or ADHD will get a different reaction from the drug than someone who doesn't.
MXD
6/17/2014 6:08pm Edited Date/Time 6/17/2014 6:09pm
RMT wrote:
For the people that have said they took it, at what dose? That makes a big difference. Also, did you take the regular Adderall or the...
For the people that have said they took it, at what dose? That makes a big difference. Also, did you take the regular Adderall or the XR? Another big difference. People that truly have ADD or ADHD will get a different reaction from the drug than someone who doesn't.
I was diagnosed with ADHD and at the time I was taking it and racing, I was on a does of 20mg of instant release twice a day. The only things I noticed was I had zero appetite, I was more patient (that was unexpected) and I was sleeping about 4 hours a night. I stayed on it for about a year then I stopped taking it.
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
6/17/2014 6:16pm
TripleFive wrote:
My doctor told me that, in his opinion, there is no objective test for ADD.

We have a winner!

As far as I am aware its a combination of a faster lifestyle nowdays that makes for shorter attention spans

AND

More parents who have used drugs when little johhny was in the womb

AND

America especially would rather medicate a kid than rehabilitate them, because a) its cheaper and b) the drug companies are stupidly corrupt (GP's etc get holidays based on how much the prescribe yada yada yada)
MXD
6/17/2014 6:18pm Edited Date/Time 6/17/2014 6:58pm
Is this what going to an AA meeting is like?Laughing
No. I'm pretty sure people use their real names at an AA meeting.
MDMCG
6/17/2014 6:53pm
I love how everyone gets a medical degree once they start posting on the internet. While there are some doctors on here, there isn't one currently contributing to the thread, as the stuff mentioned above in lots of subjective non-sense.

MD
MXD
6/17/2014 7:05pm
MDMCG wrote:
I love how everyone gets a medical degree once they start posting on the internet. While there are some doctors on here, there isn't one currently...
I love how everyone gets a medical degree once they start posting on the internet. While there are some doctors on here, there isn't one currently contributing to the thread, as the stuff mentioned above in lots of subjective non-sense.

MD
I never claimed to have a medical degree and I don't think I stated anything as fact. I was just sharing my experience as it related to the original post.
ChrisB10
6/17/2014 7:12pm
Ive taken it before. Its definitely performance enhancing. It's not confirmed it was Adderall but that's what JT heard so I wouldn't doubt it. Honestly if it's Adderall I think it was probably a 250 rider. Matthes said it was a top 3 rider from SEattle etiher 250 or 450 and I don't think James Ryan or Ryan are dumb enough to have it in there system. I could however see someone like hill or Anderson doing it.
6/17/2014 7:15pm
ChrisB10 wrote:
Ive taken it before. Its definitely performance enhancing. It's not confirmed it was Adderall but that's what JT heard so I wouldn't doubt it. Honestly if...
Ive taken it before. Its definitely performance enhancing. It's not confirmed it was Adderall but that's what JT heard so I wouldn't doubt it. Honestly if it's Adderall I think it was probably a 250 rider. Matthes said it was a top 3 rider from SEattle etiher 250 or 450 and I don't think James Ryan or Ryan are dumb enough to have it in there system. I could however see someone like hill or Anderson doing it.
Thing is james was sick in houston right before seattle maybe he took some meds that contained something that goes against WADA testing, know you can say well you can have a certain amount of some stuff in your system but he said he was sick that whole week so maybe was taking the meds the whole week without knowing what was in it. i really hope it wasnt james as hese been my fav rider since 03 or 04 haha
The Rock
6/17/2014 7:19pm
MXD wrote:
I never claimed to have a medical degree and I don't think I stated anything as fact. I was just sharing my experience as it related...
I never claimed to have a medical degree and I don't think I stated anything as fact. I was just sharing my experience as it related to the original post.
Just ignore the flak and please keep going. I'm enjoying your contributions and thank you for sharing.
drmarkr
6/17/2014 7:20pm
MDMCG wrote:
I love how everyone gets a medical degree once they start posting on the internet. While there are some doctors on here, there isn't one currently...

MD
I beg your pardon.......
6/17/2014 7:20pm
To the op, Adderal isnt gna help a professional mxer at all imo. It elevates your heart rate, why would you want to elevate your heart rate? And what if your prescribed it? Totally not a drug i would take if i was serious about racing.if anything i can almost garuntee that there alotta racers on pain meds more than anything else. As long as who ever is using it and its prescribed theres nothing gna happen.if your gna take something its gna be something thats gna help u with fatigue but really no steriod is gna help with something for mxers except coming back from injuries like hgh
hvaughn88
6/17/2014 7:22pm
MDMCG wrote:

MD
drmarkr wrote:
I beg your pardon.......
Anyone else replaying the shoutout from tombstone in their head right now, haha
The Rock
6/17/2014 7:26pm Edited Date/Time 6/17/2014 7:29pm
MXD wrote:
It's not as bad as you might think. Despite the common perception, Xanax doesn't just zap you and make you keel over and drool for hours...
It's not as bad as you might think. Despite the common perception, Xanax doesn't just zap you and make you keel over and drool for hours on end. Sure, if you take it and lay on your couch you'll likely fall asleep but if you're up and around, you barely notice that you took it except that your body is loose and relaxed. If you're doing something intense like racing mx, you can't even tell you took it. The ONLY effect it has on me during moto that I can absolutely feel is a dramatic reduction in arm pump. Other than that, nothing. As far as dosage, I usually take .5mg which is pretty small but it's all I need. I talked to my doctor about it and he said it was no big deal. As long as I had adrenaline pumping and I was focused, it would have basically no effect on my concentration until I stopped and relaxed my mind. From what I've felt, his opinion seems spot on.
I have never taken Xanax but I've know many who have. From what I've heard that is not fun to stop taking.

I'm not one for promoting usage of any chemicals or pharmaceuticals in our sport but your words you barely notice that you took it except that your body is loose and relaxed. remind me of the best I ever rode at Carlsbad circa 1999. Told the story previously but the short version is I was DEAD tired and too tired to walk down the hill to the riders meeting but I was so relaxed I rode the best I ever did. My buddy in Florida after hearing this tale reminded me of the RAW program in the 70s....relax and win. It was weird since I've gotten tired during a moto and gone backwards but this time my pace was the same the entire moto. Started off tired and ended tired but finished well. It was the only time I ever beat Mark Hall of MXA Wrecking Crew fame.

Bottom line is there is a lot to be said to being relaxed on the bike. Ideally you find this zone naturally by not riding over your head and easing your way up to speed but in today's world we want everything NOW.

Post a reply to: Adderall in moto, My opinion.

The Latest