Adderall

sparker245
I knew James got suspended for the use of Adderall, but had no idea what the "performance enhancing" effects were of this drug. Guess I was pretty naïve and didn't see what the big deal was. Today I was reading about Aubrey Huff, former major league baseball player, and he said, "So I went through that whole 2010 season playing under the influence....I think in a lot of ways Adderall is more potent than any steroid you can take because, as you know, baseball is a game of mental toughness, and Adderall gets into your head and makes you feel invincible." Hmm, sure might be a major advantage in the rough and tumble world of MX and Supercross.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/aubrey-huff-says-he-used-adderall-dur…

|
3/30/2017 4:01pm
Some people need it to be "normal". I think the "unfair" advantage comes in when it's someone who doesn't need it. I'm certain someone will correct me if I am wrong.
Mit12
3/30/2017 4:09pm
Some people need it to be "normal". I think the "unfair" advantage comes in when it's someone who doesn't need it. I'm certain someone will correct...
Some people need it to be "normal". I think the "unfair" advantage comes in when it's someone who doesn't need it. I'm certain someone will correct me if I am wrong.
I am not trying to correct you as you are correct. I just want to add that even the people that need it can abuse it and get the same effect.
3/30/2017 4:31pm
Aderall is a pill form of meth. No reason to take that stuff, especially a pro athlete, unless you're trying for an advantage. The stuff is no joke. I can't believe it's still prescribed. ADD my arse...
wsc96
Fantasy
451st
3/30/2017 4:32pm
Slippery scale i'd imagine. Just ban it outright. If you "need" it to compete then perhaps you shouldn't be competing at this level.

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/30/2017 4:35pm Edited Date/Time 3/30/2017 4:43pm
Aderall is a pill form of meth. No reason to take that stuff, especially a pro athlete, unless you're trying for an advantage. The stuff is...
Aderall is a pill form of meth. No reason to take that stuff, especially a pro athlete, unless you're trying for an advantage. The stuff is no joke. I can't believe it's still prescribed. ADD my arse...
Or you actually need it.

I have an ADHD diagnosis. I did a clinical trial a long time ago for a drug that a doctor at the University of California, Irvine was testing. I'd say that one they were trying was a bust, but at the end of the trial they gave me a sample prescription for Adderall that was good for just over two weeks. It made an amazing difference.

When it ended, I found that it wasn't on the formulary for my health insurance, and my (now ex-)wife wasn't a fan of the idea of me using it, so I let it lapse.

I just ran across the diagnosis (and old prescription bottle) a week or so ago, and may revisit this...

As for James, he was fast before, and fast while he was using it. Judging by the relatively short WADA penalty (which is often much longer for the same situation), it appears to me that the penalty was more for not having his TUE paperwork complete, than an abuse type situation.
wsc96
Fantasy
451st
3/30/2017 4:38pm
GuyB wrote:
Or you actually need it. I have an ADHD diagnosis. I did a clinical trial a long time ago for a drug that a doctor at...
Or you actually need it.

I have an ADHD diagnosis. I did a clinical trial a long time ago for a drug that a doctor at the University of California, Irvine was testing. I'd say that one they were trying was a bust, but at the end of the trial they gave me a sample prescription for Adderall that was good for just over two weeks. It made an amazing difference.

When it ended, I found that it wasn't on the formulary for my health insurance, and my (now ex-)wife wasn't a fan of the idea of me using it, so I let it lapse.

I just ran across the diagnosis (and old prescription bottle) a week or so ago, and may revisit this...

As for James, he was fast before, and fast while he was using it. Judging by the relatively short WADA penalty (which is often much longer for the same situation), it appears to me that the penalty was more for not having his TUE paperwork complete, than an abuse type situation.
Need it to be competitive at the elite level or need it to function in society?
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/30/2017 4:44pm
wsc96 wrote:
Need it to be competitive at the elite level or need it to function in society?
I added more to my answer above...
305FC250
3/30/2017 4:47pm
Aderall is a pill form of meth. No reason to take that stuff, especially a pro athlete, unless you're trying for an advantage. The stuff is...
Effects will vary depending on the person. I find that while it does give me razor sharp focus, it also gives me major anxiety and sometimes made my heart rate act weird. Both things that I certainly would not want to have while riding. I haven't taken it in years. It's good when you need to cram in a lot of school work while calmly sitting at your desk, but I can't see it providing any performance enhancement whatsoever for a motocross athlete.
wsc96
Fantasy
451st
3/30/2017 4:48pm
If it helps someone function in everyday life then i'd say people should do whatever they feel is best for them but when it comes to professional sports that's where I question it.

If a rider has a lower natural testosterone count then another rider then should he be able to supplement testosterone? - Not necessarily directed at you GuyB
Mr. G
3/30/2017 4:48pm
One would think that if there was a "chemical imbalance" in the brain there would be at least one medical test. There isn't. So you have this "Medical condition" that is then not handled by doctors and is never cured. It's impressive on a large scale. People do have problems concentrating but there is no sense in pretending it's something it isn't. Take a look at their manual sometime, every human trait is now labeled as a mental condition but then not cured as a physical condition.
TXDirt
3/30/2017 5:16pm
Some Olympic women swimmers have naturally high levels of testosterone. They had to actually take medicine to lower it else they wouldn't be able to compete at the Olympics. Is that fair?

Phelps has abnormally large lungs. Should he have to take medicine to reduce his oxygen intake?

Sorry if not really on topic. Just food for thought.
sleeve1
Fantasy
1921st
3/30/2017 5:19pm
I'm prescribed Adderall, I have ADHD and PTSD (service connected)
I will say that it helps me immensely socially, professionally and dealing with day to day stress. My daily dose is light and I've convinced my doctors that i want off it. They have been slowly decreasing my dosage.
When I'm riding I don't feel it's an unfair advantage since I take it every day. It's just a part of my life.
I am very interested to know if some professional athletes only take it before competition and not on a daily basis. This is where I feel it would give them a advantage.
APLMAN99
3/30/2017 5:21pm
Adderall can make an ADHD person feel "normal", but even for them it does have adverse health effects. It isn't the same thing as the meth that the earlier poster called it, even though it does have some big chemical similarities. People with ADHD have to make the decision whether the health risks of the drug outweigh the problems of living without it in their everyday lives.

A small difference in chemical makeup can make a huge difference. You need H2O to survive. Add another oxygen atom, and everything should be fine since we need oxygen, right? Uh, not exactly. At that point you're drinking hydrogen peroxide and it kills you.............
vetmxr
3/30/2017 5:28pm
ADHD is no joke...its a curse,If you don't have it, you are lucky.......I have it and I worry that its going to send me to an early grave....Every day I fight it and I'm losing.

If you truly have it, you now it......adderal didn't work for me....too .moody.
Skidaddle
3/30/2017 5:31pm Edited Date/Time 3/30/2017 5:32pm
People need what they need, but You can get a TUE for anything. It's a total joke in the real world.
Even Schedule III drugs not legal for sale or prescription in the USA if they are legal elsewhere.

You don't even need a real doctor if you know where to look to get a script.

Who will, if you need it, then refer you to a real doctor(For a Price) to give you the TUE paperwork, and if Bloodwork is needed, that is easily manipulated as well, making the bloodwork 100% Legit(at that time) also.

Hell, that's why their client list is for high end doctors, athletes, trainers, celebrities, rappers, you name it..

It's like the wild west of Tijuana pharma. Tell the pharmacist/doc what you need, you get a "Script" Even for non FDA approved drugs. LOLZ.

Any good doctor can have you glowing green like a superfund site. All legit covered with a TUE.

3/30/2017 5:45pm Edited Date/Time 3/30/2017 5:48pm
I guess I shouldn't suggest James was taking it for a performance advantage. That's unfair. I just see it from a slightly different perspective - a fair chunk of people in the tech industry highly abuse adderal. And not just geeks. It's an epidemic in sales. It's the modern day cocaine. It's dolled out like candy in Silicon Valley, where EVERYONE seems to have ADHD. I took it for about 6 months and all it made me want to do is hump everything in sight and grind my teeth. The initial rush is fun but I'm too much of a druggy to ever get any real medicinal benefit from aderall. And most people I know taking it are the same. It's highly abused.
Acidreamer
3/30/2017 5:48pm
If you have adhd it helps you focus. Its a stimulant like caffeine. If you dont need it it will just jack you up like a 8 year old who got into the monster and cake.

I take a non stimulant adhd meds and it just helps you keep your mind from going everywhere. Last thing you need is to be thinking about what to put on your truck while youre in the middle of a supercross race. If youre not on a med for add, the task youre doing becomes subconscious almost and you think about everything else while doing something.
Skidaddle
3/30/2017 6:05pm
Adderall isn't meth. It is Amphetamine/DextroAmphetamine. Basically speed.

Desoxyn though, is in fact, Pharm grade meth.

Drtbykr
3/30/2017 6:35pm
A young guy I work with says it made university a lot easier.

I love JS7, what a racer he was, and I hope I never see him race again.

Taking the Ferrari down to the store and getting some diapers would be a great day.
KC435
3/30/2017 6:39pm
I have taken it for many years and actually take less than what my doctor wants me to take. I have tried higher doses, but unless I want to bounce off the walls and have people go , "what the hell is wrong with you?", I take a small amount. However, like Guy B, it has truely made a difference for me over the years and I can actually get normal things done without a massive struggle. On that same note, I think it now has a stigma attached to it , such as an "advantage" in getting ahead in life. I am sure it can help a little, but I wouldn't be surprised if the 1% and alike are on to bigger and better things. Provigil comes to mind. That being said, I think James truely needed it.
TMessi111
3/30/2017 6:39pm
Being in college you see it being used as a study tool to help boost energy and attentiveness. Can't tell me it doesn't help in other applications. Its that little extra boost that gives you an edge. I have taken it to study and I didn't sleep for 2 days. Haven't taken it again. May not be meth exactly but from what I understand about meth, it has a lot of the same effects. A friend who is prescribed it has described trying to get off of it after months of use and it sounds a lot like a come down from an upper to me. Could be the same for others could be different. I'm not against anyone who says they need it but it's a slippery slope IMO.
Rogerson207
3/30/2017 7:21pm
vetmxr wrote:
ADHD is no joke...its a curse,If you don't have it, you are lucky.......I have it and I worry that its going to send me to an...
ADHD is no joke...its a curse,If you don't have it, you are lucky.......I have it and I worry that its going to send me to an early grave....Every day I fight it and I'm losing.

If you truly have it, you now it......adderal didn't work for me....too .moody.
This. Once I began taking an Adderall dose that my doctor, therapist and I decided was beneficial for me it made a huge difference in my day to day life. I do not feel jacked up or high like others have mentioned, it actually mellows me out due to me being able to focus on the task at hand and not worrying about something unrelated. I had a better reaction to it than most I guess because I don't get the teeth grinding or the anxiety or moodiness that was mentioned already. My anxiety level has actually dropped. It is nice to actually be able to function on a daily basis and be able to use my brain for tasks at work or school instead of thinking and wondering about everything under the sun all at the same time. As someone else mentioned my brain too wondered all the time and I often would zone out while riding and other activities, I have yet to see if I notice any difference while riding as my track bike is down for a rebuild. I have a feeling that it won't give me some kind of magical advantage over everyone else, it will simply let me focus on the task at hand and become a safer rider on the track.
Samuel
3/30/2017 7:27pm
I was diagnosed with adhd and was prescribed adderal. The stuff was amazing for me. I went from a C- kind of guy to straight A's. The thing it didn't help was riding. I was always mistiming jumps and just felt tense. I stopped taking it because it also made me irritable. I think everyone responds a little differently to it.
Sargent Rock
3/30/2017 7:51pm
I will out myself ........ regarding Adderall that is , it fucking works like a charm . It gives you massive concentration and focus , it makes your clarity that is unimaginable. Didn't necessarily give me extra endurance for motocross racing however. And kids.....don't do this at home.
Matt414
3/30/2017 7:54pm
Skidaddle wrote:
People need what they need, but You can get a TUE for anything. It's a total joke in the real world. Even Schedule III drugs not...
People need what they need, but You can get a TUE for anything. It's a total joke in the real world.
Even Schedule III drugs not legal for sale or prescription in the USA if they are legal elsewhere.

You don't even need a real doctor if you know where to look to get a script.

Who will, if you need it, then refer you to a real doctor(For a Price) to give you the TUE paperwork, and if Bloodwork is needed, that is easily manipulated as well, making the bloodwork 100% Legit(at that time) also.

Hell, that's why their client list is for high end doctors, athletes, trainers, celebrities, rappers, you name it..

It's like the wild west of Tijuana pharma. Tell the pharmacist/doc what you need, you get a "Script" Even for non FDA approved drugs. LOLZ.

Any good doctor can have you glowing green like a superfund site. All legit covered with a TUE.

Really? You can get a TUE for anything? How long have you been in the out of comp testing pool? How many times have you applied for a TUE, do you know the process? How would I go about getting one for testosterone, what about for IGF1?
sympo
3/30/2017 8:16pm
"As for James, he was fast before, and fast while he was using it. Judging by the relatively short WADA penalty (which is often much longer for the same situation), it appears to me that the penalty was more for not having his TUE paperwork complete, than an abuse type situation."

Buncha horseshit. FIM clearly stated they believed Stewart was/had been circumventing the rules. Page 12 (near bottom) http://www.fim-live.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Anti_Doping_-__CAS_Full_A…

"His failure to do so was not simply a failure of paperwork"

"As for James, he was fast before, and fast while he was using it" LOL exactly!!!!!! I notice you didn't say shit about what he has done since he was "caught" and now has to take a regulated dose.

oshow
3/30/2017 8:28pm
sparker245 wrote:
I knew James got suspended for the use of Adderall, but had no idea what the "performance enhancing" effects were of this drug. Guess I was...
I knew James got suspended for the use of Adderall, but had no idea what the "performance enhancing" effects were of this drug. Guess I was pretty naïve and didn't see what the big deal was. Today I was reading about Aubrey Huff, former major league baseball player, and he said, "So I went through that whole 2010 season playing under the influence....I think in a lot of ways Adderall is more potent than any steroid you can take because, as you know, baseball is a game of mental toughness, and Adderall gets into your head and makes you feel invincible." Hmm, sure might be a major advantage in the rough and tumble world of MX and Supercross.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/aubrey-huff-says-he-used-adderall-dur…

I took one this morning
EEE299
3/30/2017 8:41pm Edited Date/Time 3/30/2017 8:41pm
People have varied experiences with many drugs. I do know that adderall is the second easiest thing to get on my campus next to weed. College kids take it cause it works...
FARANG
3/30/2017 8:48pm
We don't really know how long he was taking it, so I don't see how we can check his results "before".

We know how he was while taking unlimited amounts under the radar (super focused ride at Toronto 2014 just before the positive test) and we know his results after being limited to only a suitable medicinal amount after getting caught (schoolboy errors, mistakes since the comeback from his ban etc.)

People on here get really upset if you suggest he was cheating. But that's exactly what it was, and as stated above WADA clearly concluded that "His failure to do so was not simply a failure of paperwork", hence the ban.

There's a big difference between taking enough to function normally in everyday life (TUE) and taking as much as you want under the radar while competing in Pro sport. That's why you need a TUE to use it while competing, and that's why a TUE doesn't give you carte blanche to take as much as you want. The results before and after the ban speak for themselves.

Of course this opinion makes me a hater etc. I guess WADA are haters as well.

cd0583
3/30/2017 9:01pm
A lot of experts believe ADHD isn't a real disorder. More so "symptoms" of something else physiologically. There's lots of evidence behind adderall being virtually the same as crystal meth, but I'm too lazy to cite it. Basically a multi billion dollar pharmaceutical business. Research it for yourself.

Post a reply to: Adderall

The Latest