AZ Tracks - Dunlop MX52 or MX32?

CC268
2/16/2017 6:39am
I live in AZ - tracks here actually have a wide range of terrain from hard pack to more loamy soil in the corners (it depends on the track). The tracks tend to get more hard pack as the day goes on (duh). I have ran MX52s in the past and they have always been great, but my buddy (who is a good B class rider) runs the MX32s and says he prefers them over the MX52s...I was surprised by this.

What do you guys think?
|
Kyle978
2/16/2017 6:43am
Definitely run the 32's everywhere you go, even on the most hardpack of surfaces. The 52 front is especially awful IMO.

I see you live in cave creek, I live off i-17/carefree highway so I'm right down the street. I don't own a dirt bike anymore, but I mountain bike every inch of this area. Let me know if you're a mountain biker and would like to meet up.
flymoto
2/16/2017 6:44am
I'm in the UK. But from your description anything near any sort of heardpack will tear a 32 to shreds, especially the fronts. I tore nobbles off the front mx32 on a sand track over her. The back copes a little better, depends how much cash you have. They do grip very well though.

I have moved to battle cross, seem to last a little longer and still work well
tempura
2/16/2017 6:48am
I really don't like the mx52 front. The rear is ok.
CC268
2/16/2017 6:51am
Kyle978 wrote:
Definitely run the 32's everywhere you go, even on the most hardpack of surfaces. The 52 front is especially awful IMO. I see you live in...
Definitely run the 32's everywhere you go, even on the most hardpack of surfaces. The 52 front is especially awful IMO.

I see you live in cave creek, I live off i-17/carefree highway so I'm right down the street. I don't own a dirt bike anymore, but I mountain bike every inch of this area. Let me know if you're a mountain biker and would like to meet up.
Yea I have heard of people running the 32 up front and 52 in rear...

Yea I am not too far - I live off Cave Creek and Lone Mountain...unfortunately I don't own a mountain bike anymore (had a Specialized Enduro for about 2 years)...after riding moto my whole life I had a hard time switching to something that didn't have a motor haha...I lost interest pretty quickly - great training for moto though.

I keep thinking one of these days I will give mountain biking another chance

The Shop

MOTORSPORTFOX
2/16/2017 7:04am
Most racers prefer the MX32/MX3S. I would suggest trying them and play with the tire pressure. Start at 12psi in the rear and 13psi in the front and go up from there with a HD tube. I would not suggest going lower than that otherwise you risk the chance of knobs tearing or getting a flat on the hard packed terrain. The MX52 works well in super hard packed blue groove terrain an is a little more durable tire.
Kyle978
2/16/2017 7:11am
Kyle978 wrote:
Definitely run the 32's everywhere you go, even on the most hardpack of surfaces. The 52 front is especially awful IMO. I see you live in...

CC268 wrote:
Yea I have heard of people running the 32 up front and 52 in rear... Yea I am not too far - I live off Cave...
Yea I have heard of people running the 32 up front and 52 in rear...

Yea I am not too far - I live off Cave Creek and Lone Mountain...unfortunately I don't own a mountain bike anymore (had a Specialized Enduro for about 2 years)...after riding moto my whole life I had a hard time switching to something that didn't have a motor haha...I lost interest pretty quickly - great training for moto though.

I keep thinking one of these days I will give mountain biking another chance
Yeah a 32 front, 52 rear would work. Unless you ride 2-3 times a week, I would run the 32 rear and replace it after 5-6 rides. It's well worth it.

As far as mountain biking goes, it's all about having the right group of friends and going to the right places. We have several trail area in the valley with jumps and ladders to add some excitement, and then factor in that you're abke to access places you never would on a dirt bike. Sedona is one of those places. Sedona is one of the top destination for mountain biking in the world and its right in our backyard! I have a good group of current and former moto riders that MTB, let me know if you ever want to rent a bike and join. My IG handle is kylejennett give me a follow on there and keep in touch!

Remember, tires are your first point of contact on your dirt bike. Spend the money to keep them fresh!
buzzlight52
2/16/2017 7:23am
CC268 wrote:
I live in AZ - tracks here actually have a wide range of terrain from hard pack to more loamy soil in the corners (it depends...
I live in AZ - tracks here actually have a wide range of terrain from hard pack to more loamy soil in the corners (it depends on the track). The tracks tend to get more hard pack as the day goes on (duh). I have ran MX52s in the past and they have always been great, but my buddy (who is a good B class rider) runs the MX32s and says he prefers them over the MX52s...I was surprised by this.

What do you guys think?
I live around 56th and greenway and ride at the waterholes off of pinnacle peak and go to canyon often. All I have ran is mx52's but I know a few other guys that run Bridgestone s and love them, ran them for 4 months plus riding desert and track. But as far as my bike goes, I've only ran mx52's and had a small problem with the front end giving out when then over spray it (as usual) as canyon. I'd do 32 up front and 52 on back
CC268
2/16/2017 7:28am
Kyle978 wrote:
Yeah a 32 front, 52 rear would work. Unless you ride 2-3 times a week, I would run the 32 rear and replace it after 5-6...
Yeah a 32 front, 52 rear would work. Unless you ride 2-3 times a week, I would run the 32 rear and replace it after 5-6 rides. It's well worth it.

As far as mountain biking goes, it's all about having the right group of friends and going to the right places. We have several trail area in the valley with jumps and ladders to add some excitement, and then factor in that you're abke to access places you never would on a dirt bike. Sedona is one of those places. Sedona is one of the top destination for mountain biking in the world and its right in our backyard! I have a good group of current and former moto riders that MTB, let me know if you ever want to rent a bike and join. My IG handle is kylejennett give me a follow on there and keep in touch!

Remember, tires are your first point of contact on your dirt bike. Spend the money to keep them fresh!
I have been out of riding/racing the past couple years and slowly getting back into it...probably will ride 1-2 times a week. I may give the 32 front and 52 rear a try - I will see what Donny at The Pit recommends as well.

I went to school at NAU (graduated May 2015) and used to mountain bike all over Flagstaff (Mt Elden, Schultz Pass, etc). Ironically I never rode in Sedona, but I had a ton of friends who did. Used to fish Oak Creek all the time though. One of the engineers I work with at my work is a die hard mountain biker and lives up by me and I have several other ex-moto riders who are crazy big into mountain bikes. I will definitely know if I decide to pick up MTBing again! Thanks for the invite!
CC268
2/16/2017 7:29am
I live around 56th and greenway and ride at the waterholes off of pinnacle peak and go to canyon often. All I have ran is mx52's...
I live around 56th and greenway and ride at the waterholes off of pinnacle peak and go to canyon often. All I have ran is mx52's but I know a few other guys that run Bridgestone s and love them, ran them for 4 months plus riding desert and track. But as far as my bike goes, I've only ran mx52's and had a small problem with the front end giving out when then over spray it (as usual) as canyon. I'd do 32 up front and 52 on back
Yea 32 front and 52 rear might be a good compromise.
mooch
Fantasy
449th
2/16/2017 8:56am
MX32 - yes!

MX52 - not so much
Arkmx
2/16/2017 9:02am

ACP = MX32's

Canyon = whatever you find that works... LOL.

We run the Kenda Washougal 2's DC and they work well everywhere and don't hurt the wallet as much. Their Southwick tires work great at LL's, Pala and ACP too.

Bridgestone Battlecross 30's work well too for all around tires.

That's my 3 cents worth.

BroFoSho
2/16/2017 10:47am
MX tire are a lot like condoms... use fresh ones.

At our skill level having new tires is a bigger advantage than to having a specific brand tire.

I run Atrax tires which are like $95 for A SET and replace them every 5 or 6 rides.
Sure, you can notice they aren't quite as good as a Dunlop, but a new Atrax is still better than a wore out Dunlop.
CC268
2/16/2017 3:19pm
Thanks for all the suggestions guys I appreciate it. I will have to check out those Kendas and the Michilens
JBecker 72
2/16/2017 3:38pm
I rode a lot of hard pack this past year on 32 tires. They do chunk up a bit if you run lower pressure, but they hook up pretty well on a blue groove track. The 52 I pretty much don't like at all, front or back.
tempura
2/16/2017 4:17pm
I prefer the Starcross mediums to either mx32/52.
They last longer and work in a wide range of conditions.
motomojo
2/16/2017 8:18pm
I have no issues with the 52's front or rear but i only ride on my private track near Kingman which is a mix of sand and clay it is fairly loamy but can get hard and slick. I run pretty low pressure 9 lbs front 12 rear and have no problem getting grip in any condition.
That said i have a set of 32's i have not yet tried so they may work even better.
Mixing them sounds good i used to live in Phx and ran a Dunlop 737 rear 755 front pretty much everywhere without issue so a 52 rear 32 front should work fine for most all AZ dirt.
SVT-Cobra
2/16/2017 9:12pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2017 9:14pm
I run Michelin Starcross 5s soft. I do a lot of time between MCMP and Motoland. Not a fast rider by any means but the Starcross 5s felt like a leap above the Dunlop's (I've tried both 32 and 52). 52 being pretty bad. Downside is that you'll need to replace the Michelin's every 5-6 months.
Turbojez
2/17/2017 12:21am Edited Date/Time 2/17/2017 12:30am
I have never seen an AZ track, but had my share of riding on both MX32 (MX32) front mixed with MX52 rear on hard pack, and now I have MX32 front and rear and prefer this combo. They are good everywhere, soft to hard terrain, and they don't get chewed up as much as you'd expect from a soft terrain tire.

One thing that is very important with MX32/3S tires: check your pressure regularly. It might be slightly lower than other tires (they have stiff sidewall), but if you go too low on the pressure the knobbies will start flying off in no time.

Other than that, they are great tires, I'm on my second set and the next pair will be MX32/3S as well.
buzzlight52
2/17/2017 6:43am
SVT-Cobra wrote:
I run Michelin Starcross 5s soft. I do a lot of time between MCMP and Motoland. Not a fast rider by any means but the Starcross...
I run Michelin Starcross 5s soft. I do a lot of time between MCMP and Motoland. Not a fast rider by any means but the Starcross 5s felt like a leap above the Dunlop's (I've tried both 32 and 52). 52 being pretty bad. Downside is that you'll need to replace the Michelin's every 5-6 months.
How often do you ride? I go every weekend so I'd be Intrested to know how long they last
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
2/17/2017 4:42pm
Definitely run the MX32 on the front, MX52 fronts are no Bueno. I run a Bridgestone X40 rear and love it. The X30 is really good too for the rear. Just a personal preference.

Post a reply to: AZ Tracks - Dunlop MX52 or MX32?

The Latest