ATL Whoops

Edited Date/Time 2/24/2014 2:54pm
I like how they put the whoops right out of the turn not allowing the boys to get too much speed before entry. I think it's better that way and a little safer.
|
zehn
2/22/2014 6:54pm
I'm not sure it's any safer...

It certainly slows the speeds down, but they're also not able to skip across them at all. We've seen plenty of guys get out of shape because they aren't able to time them right, and in the heat of a race for the podium, I could see some shit going down right there.
wow123
2/22/2014 7:49pm
became a one line rhythm section
bullpen658
2/22/2014 7:55pm
I didn't like anything about the last two tracks. Both were huge piles of dung IMO.
oshow
2/23/2014 10:45am

They were big and spaced pretty far apart. Gave everyone problems

The Shop

Squid-mom
2/23/2014 4:28pm
bullpen658 wrote:
I didn't like anything about the last two tracks. Both were huge piles of dung IMO.
Track definitely looked like it was designed to make spectators 'ooh' and 'aah' at the crashes. Seems to me that they think they are making more $ from that crowd than from true moto fans that want to see great racing rather than carnage!!
Renner153
Fantasy
3578th
2/23/2014 5:23pm
I like how they put the whoops right out of the turn not allowing the boys to get too much speed before entry. I think it's...
I like how they put the whoops right out of the turn not allowing the boys to get too much speed before entry. I think it's better that way and a little safer.
The whoops were terrible and way more dangerous than normal. There was not enough space to give the guys room to get on top but just enough to make them think they could. Result...lots if crashing in them. I think there had to be more crashes in those whoops last night than all the other races combined. Slower isn't always safer. These guys have to have the speed to get on too and stay on top. They had just enough speed to get on too and NOT stay on too. Front ends drop, guys go down. Guys going down in whoops causes injury. Not cool. And better? No way. It's terrible to see the best riders in the world look like they are C riders trying to hit whoops. It's one thing to have big whoops to Esperanto everyone but those were dumb.
ga_pike
2/23/2014 5:32pm
Renner153 wrote:
The whoops were terrible and way more dangerous than normal. There was not enough space to give the guys room to get on top but just...
The whoops were terrible and way more dangerous than normal. There was not enough space to give the guys room to get on top but just enough to make them think they could. Result...lots if crashing in them. I think there had to be more crashes in those whoops last night than all the other races combined. Slower isn't always safer. These guys have to have the speed to get on too and stay on top. They had just enough speed to get on too and NOT stay on too. Front ends drop, guys go down. Guys going down in whoops causes injury. Not cool. And better? No way. It's terrible to see the best riders in the world look like they are C riders trying to hit whoops. It's one thing to have big whoops to Esperanto everyone but those were dumb.
You are entitled to your opinion but personally, I appreciated the fact that they separated the men from the boys. I'd love to see them bring back a Gary Bailey Daytona with telephone pole whoops. Whoops that anyone and everyone can blast through do nothing to improve the racing IMO.
Seamorbutts
2/23/2014 5:35pm Edited Date/Time 2/23/2014 5:37pm
Renner153 wrote:
The whoops were terrible and way more dangerous than normal. There was not enough space to give the guys room to get on top but just...
ga_pike wrote:
You are entitled to your opinion but personally, I appreciated the fact that they separated the men from the boys. I'd love to see them bring...
You are entitled to your opinion but personally, I appreciated the fact that they separated the men from the boys. I'd love to see them bring back a Gary Bailey Daytona with telephone pole whoops. Whoops that anyone and everyone can blast through do nothing to improve the racing IMO.
This^^^^^ Some manly tracks that cause havoc.
erikcrvjl
2/23/2014 5:57pm
I agree to those who say last nights track was good. I love the fact that the whoops were huge, hell, make them even bigger. It makes for better racing, if a rider gets injured on a track obstacle like the whoops, it's his fault, not the track builders. It's the riders responsibility for knowing his limits.
2/23/2014 6:04pm Edited Date/Time 2/23/2014 6:06pm
From Chads twitter Saturday night...

@CRtwotwo - Clearly after watching the lites guys they are not used to slower more tech tracks BIG WOW

Jimmy Button - @CRtwotwo agreed. I think the track is great. Need to be skilled not just a fast scrubber.

I agree. I liked the slower, more technical track.
Renner153
Fantasy
3578th
2/23/2014 6:05pm
The problem is, guys that normally, Barcia, can skim whoops and have no issues were getting injured in them because of how dumb they were. The whoops always separate the men from the boys. The difference is these ones were too close to the turn. When James Stewart stops skimming the whoops, you know there is an issue...
Crush
2/23/2014 6:05pm
bullpen658 wrote:
Atlanta was about 3000% better than Dallas.

180s, technical obstacles, some steeper slower faces.

A few more bigger berms and it would have almost been the same as the early 2000 tracks.
Crush
2/23/2014 6:08pm
Renner153 wrote:
The problem is, guys that normally, Barcia, can skim whoops and have no issues were getting injured in them because of how dumb they were. The...
The problem is, guys that normally, Barcia, can skim whoops and have no issues were getting injured in them because of how dumb they were. The whoops always separate the men from the boys. The difference is these ones were too close to the turn. When James Stewart stops skimming the whoops, you know there is an issue...
What's the issue?

Does it matter that you can't skim them?

It's not a bad thing that it's hard to do it, or some can't. A few years back 125s couldn't always jump the triples or get the speed to stay on the whoops.

In the late 90s MC would be able to do whoops that others couldn't. Nothing wrong with it and it's gotta be safer than going wide open through smaller ones no?
Seamorbutts
2/23/2014 6:11pm
Renner153 wrote:
The problem is, guys that normally, Barcia, can skim whoops and have no issues were getting injured in them because of how dumb they were. The...
Crush wrote:
What's the issue? Does it matter that you can't skim them? It's not a bad thing that it's hard to do it, or some can't. A...
What's the issue?

It's not a bad thing that it's hard to do it, or some can't. A few years back 125s couldn't always jump the triples or get the speed to stay on the whoops.

In the late 90s MC would be able to do whoops that others couldn't. Nothing wrong with it and it's gotta be safer than going wide open through smaller ones no?
That's what I was thinking. It's safer crashing at 15mph than at 35mph any day. I'm sure chad can vouch for that.
Piston Slap
Fantasy
2410th
2/23/2014 6:30pm
Renner153 wrote:
Ok, Two questions.......

1. Why is it necessary to think you have skim the whoops at every race?????
2. Would jumping them even the field?

I would rather see slower speed, tighter racing......

Skimming the whoops is great, don't get me wrong...but changing up is good.
Hut
2/23/2014 6:39pm
I didn't have to race through them so that was my favorite part. Cool
thesadguy
2/23/2014 7:55pm Edited Date/Time 2/23/2014 8:06pm
Renner153 wrote:
Met you last night.... You are a complete tool. Edit. It was your brother, Ricky.
Bigshow
2/23/2014 8:32pm Edited Date/Time 2/23/2014 8:33pm
I loved the track. I get sick of all the scrubbing, it gets old and boring everyone scrubbing jump after jump.
Ash124
2/23/2014 8:56pm
I like how they put the whoops right out of the turn not allowing the boys to get too much speed before entry. I think it's...
I agree with the OP.

Cool to see the pro riders making choices as the track changed. Something about jumping through the whoops looked cool as shit. Required more bike skill and less balls-out commitment.

There may have been more sketchy moments, but since they weren't 4th wide, the odd are that the crashes were less likely to cause injury.
2/23/2014 9:58pm Edited Date/Time 2/23/2014 9:59pm
So when Carmichael would beat James while jumping through the whoops he was doing it wrong?

Barcia had issues because, like you say, he was trying to skim whoops like he usually does. Only problem is that they were not normal whoops with normal run up. That's his judgement error not the whoops.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/23/2014 10:04pm
ga_pike wrote:
You are entitled to your opinion but personally, I appreciated the fact that they separated the men from the boys. I'd love to see them bring...
Extra crashing and fewer riders on the gate don't improve racing, either.
erikcrvjl
2/23/2014 10:15pm
ga_pike wrote:
GuyB wrote:
It's a cycle. Seasons like 2012 are going to keep happening. After a season like that happens, riders start to ride a bit conservatively, thinking long term for the championship. Then they get sick of that and go balls out to win races and eventually injure themselves.
Renner153
Fantasy
3578th
2/23/2014 11:05pm
Crush wrote:
What's the issue? Does it matter that you can't skim them? It's not a bad thing that it's hard to do it, or some can't. A...
What's the issue?

Not being able to skim them isn't an issue. The issue is when they make them to where you only skim the first 4 and the. You start dropping wheels in them. Sitting on the sidelines watching, yea it seems better. But after watching the way everyone was going through them, it just looked dangerous. Either make them to where you won't skim them or you will. The guys that hit them will hit them faster either way they are. All it took was a little rock in one and you were going for a ride. I think by the end of the night, almost everyone had crashed through them. It was ridiculous
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/23/2014 11:06pm
ga_pike wrote:
GuyB wrote:
erikcrvjl wrote:
It's a cycle. Seasons like 2012 are going to keep happening. After a season like that happens, riders start to ride a bit conservatively, thinking long...
It's a cycle. Seasons like 2012 are going to keep happening. After a season like that happens, riders start to ride a bit conservatively, thinking long term for the championship. Then they get sick of that and go balls out to win races and eventually injure themselves.
Yep. That explains the riders (like Barcia) who crashed in them in practice. Blink
pecu_83
2/23/2014 11:16pm
I thought the track was great. Nobody twisted Barcias arm to try to skim those whoops, he did it himself. I think it´s good to have different kind of tracks.
Renner153
Fantasy
3578th
2/23/2014 11:30pm
GuyB wrote:
erikcrvjl wrote:
It's a cycle. Seasons like 2012 are going to keep happening. After a season like that happens, riders start to ride a bit conservatively, thinking long...
GuyB wrote:
Yep. That explains the riders (like Barcia) who crashed in them in practice. Blink
And Roczen. Hill. AC crashed in both sets. All guys that know how to hit whoops. And everyone about crashed at some point.
2/23/2014 11:41pm Edited Date/Time 2/23/2014 11:42pm
erikcrvjl wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Renner153 wrote:
And Roczen. Hill. AC crashed in both sets. All guys that know how to hit whoops. And everyone about crashed at some point.
Dammit...did not mean to quote....

Post a reply to: ATL Whoops

The Latest