AMA's reply to my 2 stroke concern. Sorry DC.

creed
10/16/2009 5:11pm
Ask the KIWI's if a 250 2str is faster / better to ride than a 250 4str.

They did this a couple years ago at National level and after round 2 only 2 riders stayed on the 2 stroke because of contracts. I dont remember the exact figures but I think 7 or 9 riders started out on 2 dream bangers

They had some good riders on the bikes and I feel it was the best test I have seen so far including my own 2 boys. It comes down to the rider mostly and it will allow more riders to compete, so why wouldn't everyone embrace it. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
jkkt
10/16/2009 5:20pm
I was going to stay out of this but, i guess I'll chime in. Yes the 250 2 stroke is faster and makes more HP. I...
I was going to stay out of this but, i guess I'll chime in.

Yes the 250 2 stroke is faster and makes more HP. I honestly don't think it would be an advantage on the track though, single lap times yes... but race situation no.

The line choices between a 4strk and 2strk are completely different. If the majority of riders are on a 4 stroke the advantage of the 2 strk is less and less.

What we need is an exhabition race to put this all behind us.

Who won LL's in the A class? was he on a 2 strk or 4? Where did the 2 strk actually finish at LL's?
Not the A class but, Ransdell got a second behind Tomac in the 250 b class on a 250 2 stroke.
MX7MX
10/16/2009 5:31pm
JB 19 wrote:
Amazing how many of the 2 stroke whiners don't even know the rules that apply to 99% of the people racing motocross. It has been 250cc...
Amazing how many of the 2 stroke whiners don't even know the rules that apply to 99% of the people racing motocross. It has been 250cc two stroke or 4 stroke in the B class for 2.5 years.
AJ wrote:
and it hasnt hurt anything.. or been a big deal to most.. isnt that the point? it would be the same in pro. not that big...
and it hasnt hurt anything..
or been a big deal to most..

isnt that the point?

it would be the same in pro.
not that big of deal, ,just an interesting side bar..

(as the OEM factory or factory support teams would indeed run the 4 strokes)

the only negative is the few holeshots pulled off by a random privateer,
(or jlaw)
that took the *big teams* 20 seconds of TV time away..

i feel like paul harvey, now you know the rest of the story..

Smile

except the fact that james raced almost evenly against RC on a 250T versus RC on the 450. Imagine if RC was on the 250F and James on the 250T, how would that have turned out?
500 Mike
10/16/2009 5:48pm
MX7MX wrote:
except the fact that james raced almost evenly against RC on a 250T versus RC on the 450. Imagine if RC was on the 250F and...
except the fact that james raced almost evenly against RC on a 250T versus RC on the 450. Imagine if RC was on the 250F and James on the 250T, how would that have turned out?
Yeah, but all your buddy James could do was bitch that his bike was so under powered compared to RC's. It should be cc for cc, heads up, genius.

The Shop

Void Main
10/16/2009 5:59pm
JB 19 wrote:
Amazing how many of the 2 stroke whiners don't even know the rules that apply to 99% of the people racing motocross. It has been 250cc...
Amazing how many of the 2 stroke whiners don't even know the rules that apply to 99% of the people racing motocross. It has been 250cc two stroke or 4 stroke in the B class for 2.5 years.
I'm pretty sure most of us 2-Troke whiners know the displacement rules in both the amateur and pro level. We're whining about the pro level, not the amateur level for several reasons. If you've been following along I shouldn't have to restate them.
cpj36
10/16/2009 6:28pm
JB 19 wrote:
Apparently the amateur classes mean nothing to Japan when it involves influencing what they build, or what they want to do. They built a bike that the rules prohibit, no reason to care about a rule allowing a bike they wont build.
WhKnuckle
10/16/2009 6:34pm
JB 19 wrote:
cpj36 wrote:
Apparently the amateur classes mean nothing to Japan when it involves influencing what they build, or what they want to do. They built a bike that...
Apparently the amateur classes mean nothing to Japan when it involves influencing what they build, or what they want to do. They built a bike that the rules prohibit, no reason to care about a rule allowing a bike they wont build.
Yeah, they have a 500 class at Mammoth, and I haven't seen too many 500s on dealers' floors lately.
loftyair
10/16/2009 6:39pm
loftyair wrote:
There is almost a 'perfect' bike for everyone. Whether it be 2t or 4t, and whatever size. If you think it's 'unfair', then get that 'unfair'...
There is almost a 'perfect' bike for everyone. Whether it be 2t or 4t, and whatever size. If you think it's 'unfair', then get that 'unfair' bike and see if that helps. It might, but either way, your gonna get beat, by xr600's and 85's, depending on who's riding it. Abolish the cc and stroke rules! I want to see them all racing anyway. What matters most at any track is the skill level of riders/racers on the track at the same time, not which bike they're on.
ando wrote:
Nice theory. Let's think about the practical side. No OEM is going to build a specific bike for a class that has no displacement rules. So...
Nice theory.

Let's think about the practical side. No OEM is going to build a specific bike for a class that has no displacement rules. So teams/riders pick from what's available. What is available now? 450 4st, 250 2st, 250 4st, 125/144/150 2st.

In the "Open" class what do you think people are going to choose from that lot? I know the answer - it's what they are choosing right now.

So regardless of the way you look at it, at this point in time the best available production motocross bike is a 450cc 4 stroke. And unless something dramatic happens to make the OEM's build something different, it's going to stay that way.

BTW why was 250cc considered the "best" capacity for a 2 stroke for so long? Surely in the 15 years or so between the demise of the 500 2st and the rise of the 400/450 4st engine development and technology could have come up a better capacity? I think the answer is that for ongoing commitment of OEM's and other major supporters there has to be some long term stability in the rules of the class, otherwise it just turns into a circus.
In the "Open" class what do you think people are going to choose from that lot? I know the answer - it's what they are choosing right now.

Not the current outdoor World Motocross Champion. He didn't ride a 450, so go figure. Alessi not gonna ride one either, not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent.
loftyair
10/16/2009 6:47pm
JB 19 wrote:
AJ wrote:
and it hasnt hurt anything.. or been a big deal to most.. isnt that the point? it would be the same in pro. not that big...

isnt that the point?

(or jlaw)

Smile

MX7MX wrote:
except the fact that james raced almost evenly against RC on a 250T versus RC on the 450. Imagine if RC was on the 250F and...
Or how about James on a 125t vs. the 250 4. Oh yeah, we saw that, he smoked them! And that was some of the sickest riding we'll see, until the 2t comes back anyway.
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
10/16/2009 8:00pm
JB 19 wrote:
99%......................We do not have AMA motocross racing here on the local level.

And most do not let the bikes run cc for cc.
FlaNard
10/16/2009 8:03pm
I'll say it again. There are more and more two strokes at the local tracks every week. And under the fast guys now. The price of 4 strokes is pricing the sport out of most peoples reach and nothing will be done until the sport is near collapse. Once the sport is near collapse and bike sales are total shit someone in charge will grow a spine and care about the people actually buying the bikes and not the big 4. Or it will take KTM or someone making a larger two stroke that all the local level riders buy. Then just like the 4 strokes, every other brand will have to make one of their own or be left behind. Let the sport fail or address the problem. It's that simple. I think we see that those in charge now are content to kick the can and hope for the best.
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
10/16/2009 8:15pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:48am
JB 19 wrote:
AJ wrote:

isnt that the point?

(or jlaw)

Smile

MX7MX wrote:
MXdN at Budds Creek, RV2 was on a 250F and smoked everyone including RC and everyone else on a 450F.

So on any given day any bike/rider can be faster then all the others.

Did you see the Endurocross on TV the other day from Vegas? The main had a 2 stroke KTM, and a four stroke Kawasaki battle right to the checked flag. It was the best racing of the year because the were taking different lines, etc.

Straight up cc for cc racing...........Jeez, it's so friggin' simple!
JB 19
10/16/2009 10:41pm
If you want the 2 stroke back go buy one. Buy a YZ 250 or KTM 250.....or 125 or whatever. Put your wallet where your mouth is, because as we know, thats how 4 strokes got so big. It wasn't the AMA or Davey Coombs or Nelson Mandela for christ sake, it was normal blue collar guys spending their money on bikes like the 450F.

I'd guarantee that over half of those four strokes sold never see a starting gate. In the last 5 years I have raced twice, but ride regularly.

Those guys didn't buy four strokes because the AMA held a gun to their head, they did it because they liked the bike. How do I know? Because I'm that guy.....one of the thousands.

Did Kawasaki build a 450F to go pro racing? Maybe, but I'm guessing they wanted a piece of the financial pie. If Yamaha starts selling 20,000 YZ 250's you think Honda will sit back and watch?

OW38B
Fantasy
181st
10/16/2009 10:52pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:48am
Is allowing a 250cc bike run in the the Pro 250cc class asking too much?

MX7MX has convinced me, the 4 strokes are the best bikes made ever and would lap the 2 strokes every time even with even displacement, bring the 2 strokes on, we are not afraid of them..............

We need to put the final nail in the 2 stroke coffin. After all the women are more important than this.
ShookOne
10/17/2009 12:13am
I started riding and racing about the time 4 strokes were taking over so I was right in the middle of it. The rules were made without the vision that 4 strokes would actually be a viable option in racing. But then Yamaha and Honda started developing the 4 strokes. Then as the technology grew and the bikes became better, they naturally pushed development even more. If you can make a bike that is that much better then everything else in the class, why wouldn't you? And the higher cost is a nice little side effect.

And since the rules allowed them it was fair game. Now here's a bike that puts out a ton more HP and is actually easier to ride. And now they're as light as a 2 stroke almost. So from a racing stand point, what are you supposed to do? You have to buy a 4 stroke or you're at a disadvantage before the gate even drops. So of course all the racers are going to get one.

And that eventually trickles down to the weekend warrior who doesn't even race. I mean who can pass up a light 450 with all the power you want and that doesn't take shit to ride fast? Just leave it in 1 gear the whole track and sit your fat ass on the seat and hold on. Fuck learning how to ride harder, just buy a 450. No more using a clutch and carrying your momentum like on a 2 stroke. But then people started getting hit with these hug repair costs for when the POS drops a valves. But everybody was on a 4 stroke and it was too late. The manufacturers already stopped development on the 2 stroke so that put them at an even bigger disadvantage. How could you switch back to something that would put you at such a big disadvantage?

Yes people dug their own grave but it was only possible because of the stupid fucking rules. Unfortunately MXers want the latest and greatest thing even if they don't race. Once the ball was rolling nobody up top seemed to care about stopping it and now high costs are a problem. And the solution is pretty fucking simple: bring back the fucking 2 strokes. Motocross was fine 10 years ago. 2 strokes may be harder to ride for some but too fucking bad. Motocross isn't suppose to be easy. What did everybody do when it was 2 strokes only?

And don't give me that bullshit about 4 strokes being cheaper and lasting longer and blah blah blah because I've been through more 4 stroke motors then Justin Barcia. Stock and modded, green, yellow, or blue it doesn't matter. I've blown up a motor in every way possible and my shit is maintained perfectly. I'm a fast B rider BTW.
2stroke153
10/17/2009 4:58am
2T42 wrote:
So basically the AMA currently allows it in amateurs and is for equal cc, the fans are for equal cc, the privateers are for equal cc...
So basically the AMA currently allows it in amateurs and is for equal cc, the fans are for equal cc, the privateers are for equal cc and DC is supposedly for equal cc. Who does that leave?. ...Hmmmm.
All this discussion and still know one wants to step up and take the bull by the horns!
DC
10/17/2009 6:54am
I am not the "president" of AMA Pro Racing or MX Sports, as Mr. Bromley incorrectly stated in his reply to Joe Newman. I am one VP at MX Sports. I do not make the rules, AMA Pro Racing does for MX; AMA (old) and FIM do for Supercross. I get to have some input, and that input right now is this: a 250cc two-stroke and a 250cc four-stroke are not even and it's not what the vast majority of pro riders and pro teams want to ride. I am sorry but the grassroots support coming from Twostrokesonly.com has gone from helpful to offensive and it's no longer working your argument in the right direction.

For what it's worth, MX Sports made another step forward -- two-stroke 250s in the Women's class against 250Fs -- that will help the movement. But it's still not going to change all of those other series and sanctioning bodies' minds. They do not think it will be a fair playing field when one factory team fields a two-stroke in the hands of a top rider. How do you think Mike Alessi or Tommy Searle would do on a KTM two-stroke 250 next summer against everyone else in that class? Why would Factory Connection or Pro Circuit hire four guys each to get beaten by a bike they don't and can't race?

Until SX and FIM agree to go with two-stroke 250s in the 250F/MX2/Lites class, it won't happen. I have done all I can, but I now see why they did not change the name to "250 class" like we did, and I'm pretty over being called a pussy.

DC
MX Sports

Matt Wozney
10/17/2009 7:09am
I was going to stay out of this but, i guess I'll chime in. Yes the 250 2 stroke is faster and makes more HP. I...
I was going to stay out of this but, i guess I'll chime in.

Yes the 250 2 stroke is faster and makes more HP. I honestly don't think it would be an advantage on the track though, single lap times yes... but race situation no.

The line choices between a 4strk and 2strk are completely different. If the majority of riders are on a 4 stroke the advantage of the 2 strk is less and less.

What we need is an exhabition race to put this all behind us.

Who won LL's in the A class? was he on a 2 strk or 4? Where did the 2 strk actually finish at LL's?
flarider wrote:
Justin Starling won 450A on a 450
Justin won 450 B Stock.

Dean Wilson won 2 A classes. Blake Baggett and Justin Weeks each won an A class. All on 4 strokes. But the 250 classes, I remember, had a good number of 250 2 strokes.
Void Main
10/17/2009 7:13am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2009 7:18am
DC wrote:
I am not the "president" of AMA Pro Racing or MX Sports, as Mr. Bromley incorrectly stated in his reply to Joe Newman. I am one...
I am not the "president" of AMA Pro Racing or MX Sports, as Mr. Bromley incorrectly stated in his reply to Joe Newman. I am one VP at MX Sports. I do not make the rules, AMA Pro Racing does for MX; AMA (old) and FIM do for Supercross. I get to have some input, and that input right now is this: a 250cc two-stroke and a 250cc four-stroke are not even and it's not what the vast majority of pro riders and pro teams want to ride. I am sorry but the grassroots support coming from Twostrokesonly.com has gone from helpful to offensive and it's no longer working your argument in the right direction.

For what it's worth, MX Sports made another step forward -- two-stroke 250s in the Women's class against 250Fs -- that will help the movement. But it's still not going to change all of those other series and sanctioning bodies' minds. They do not think it will be a fair playing field when one factory team fields a two-stroke in the hands of a top rider. How do you think Mike Alessi or Tommy Searle would do on a KTM two-stroke 250 next summer against everyone else in that class? Why would Factory Connection or Pro Circuit hire four guys each to get beaten by a bike they don't and can't race?

Until SX and FIM agree to go with two-stroke 250s in the 250F/MX2/Lites class, it won't happen. I have done all I can, but I now see why they did not change the name to "250 class" like we did, and I'm pretty over being called a pussy.

DC
MX Sports

I understand your point regarding a 250 2-stroke possibly having an advantage over a 250 4-stroke and might not be fair, however you've never addressed how a 250 4-stroke does not currently have an advantage over a 125 2-stroke and is fair. Can there be no compromises or middle ground? Thanks for your input (seriously).
ProMed
10/17/2009 7:37am
DC wrote:
I am not the "president" of AMA Pro Racing or MX Sports, as Mr. Bromley incorrectly stated in his reply to Joe Newman. I am one...

DC
MX Sports

Void Main wrote:
I understand your point regarding a 250 2-stroke possibly having an advantage over a 250 4-stroke and might not be fair, however you've never addressed how...
I understand your point regarding a 250 2-stroke possibly having an advantage over a 250 4-stroke and might not be fair, however you've never addressed how a 250 4-stroke does not currently have an advantage over a 125 2-stroke and is fair. Can there be no compromises or middle ground? Thanks for your input (seriously).
If you read between the lines you will see it is the manufacturers who are the puppet masters of the pro classes. Now that the manufacturers have had a taste of the money they can make with their disposable 4-strokes, there is no turning back now. While I am sure there are at least a few people with power in the MX world that would enjoy seeing 2-strokes on a truly even playing field, these personal opinions do not have enough substance behind them to actually bite back at the hands that feed them.
Void Main
10/17/2009 7:41am
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports

Void Main wrote:
I understand your point regarding a 250 2-stroke possibly having an advantage over a 250 4-stroke and might not be fair, however you've never addressed how...
ProMed wrote:
If you read between the lines you will see it is the manufacturers who are the puppet masters of the pro classes. Now that the manufacturers...
If you read between the lines you will see it is the manufacturers who are the puppet masters of the pro classes. Now that the manufacturers have had a taste of the money they can make with their disposable 4-strokes, there is no turning back now. While I am sure there are at least a few people with power in the MX world that would enjoy seeing 2-strokes on a truly even playing field, these personal opinions do not have enough substance behind them to actually bite back at the hands that feed them.
I was referring to this one significant statement:

I get to have some input, and that input right now is this: a 250cc two-stroke and a 250cc four-stroke are not even

My point is 250cc four-stroke and 125cc two-stroke are not even either so why not recommend something in between? Why does it have to be all or nothing?
DC
10/17/2009 7:42am
No one said a 125cc in the class is fair and in my opinion it's not -- evolution changed that. Eventually, I believe evolution will match 250cc 2s and 4s, but we're not there, so it's not going to work right now on the pro playing field. 144s? 150s? 200s? Maybe that's the argument people should be making. It seems like it would be easier to add power to the two-stroke 125s than the four-stroke 250s...

DC
MX Sports

Void Main
10/17/2009 7:44am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2009 7:46am
DC wrote:
No one said a 125cc in the class is fair and in my opinion it's not -- evolution changed that. Eventually, I believe evolution will match...
No one said a 125cc in the class is fair and in my opinion it's not -- evolution changed that. Eventually, I believe evolution will match 250cc 2s and 4s, but we're not there, so it's not going to work right now on the pro playing field. 144s? 150s? 200s? Maybe that's the argument people should be making. It seems like it would be easier to add power to the two-stroke 125s than the four-stroke 250s...

DC
MX Sports

Actually that's what I have been suggesting the last few days. If 250 vs 250 will not fly why not at least raise it to 150 this year. If a couple of 144s make a main but still aren't in the front what does it really hurt? At least there would be an appearance that some consideration is being made. I would like to see 175 or 200 actually but I would take 150. At least it's something.
10/17/2009 7:46am
Thank you DC, what I've been preaching for a week. 144-150cc. Sorry you are getting called names here. Unfortunately, when people don't have to use their names on forums. That's what happens. :-(
wardy
10/17/2009 7:46am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:48am
JB 19 wrote:
AJ wrote:

isnt that the point?

(or jlaw)

Smile

why do you think they got rid of the "520" and other open bbikes back in the day in the 450 class? dowd got alot of holeshots didn't he.

The OE's think they have a handle on all this stuff, but they really don't have a clue, and the sport is suffering for it. Say what you will about economy, but riders who come to our riding park are not buying new bikes, and the woods guys are riding 2 strokes.

A company is going to start importing 2 stroke knock offs from china that are reliable and well then lets see what happens. ONLY in this screwed up country is the new bike selection 4 stroke only basically. As the honda guys say, "we want the biggest market in the world to run these bikes." Well lets see how well that works for them. 09 BNG for 10 in the 450 market.

guess it's time for bikes to stagnate again like they did before. with fuel injection what else can they really do.

whats a 450 cost? and now the new 250 cost?
ml795rr
10/17/2009 7:50am
i guess the ktm 350 4 stroke will throw a wrench into the ama's plans
10/17/2009 7:52am
Void Main wrote:
Actually that's what I have been suggesting the last few days. If 250 vs 250 will not fly why not at least raise it to 150...
Actually that's what I have been suggesting the last few days. If 250 vs 250 will not fly why not at least raise it to 150 this year. If a couple of 144s make a main but still aren't in the front what does it really hurt? At least there would be an appearance that some consideration is being made. I would like to see 175 or 200 actually but I would take 150. At least it's something.
Really Void?

1 day ago

Void Main wrote: To hell with the 144cc idea. Put the shit back where it was 125 class (with 125cc motorcycles), 250 class (with 250cc motorcycles) and if you really want to run anything bigger than that run an open class and let anything in it.

neysbo
10/17/2009 7:53am
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports

Void Main wrote:
Screw fair , it sure has not been fair the last ten years for 2 stroke owners.

Void Main
10/17/2009 7:56am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2009 9:16am
Void Main wrote:
Actually that's what I have been suggesting the last few days. If 250 vs 250 will not fly why not at least raise it to 150...
Really Void? 1 day ago Void Main wrote: To hell with the 144cc idea. Put the shit back where it was 125 class (with 125cc motorcycles)...
Really Void?

1 day ago

Void Main wrote: To hell with the 144cc idea. Put the shit back where it was 125 class (with 125cc motorcycles), 250 class (with 250cc motorcycles) and if you really want to run anything bigger than that run an open class and let anything in it.

That was my "ideal" world. I'm with you on your scratching and pecking for what we can get now. Smile Actually if you look at my other posts from the same day you'll see me mention 175, 200, 225 as well as 150 just like I did in this thread. It seems there is no chance of going to my "ideal" world so now it's a matter of compromising for something in the middle, if there is any chance of even getting that. 150 is something in the middle. I don't think it's enough to get a few 2-strokes into the mains but at least it's some movement.
wardy
10/17/2009 8:01am
oh and by the way it's a pain in the ASS to type a reply with a quote in this place sheez!

the whole above post can be simplified.

marketing. we have been told countless times in meetings by OEM/s this is the plan. they are going to stick to it, they have spent a ton of money on it. so we can bitch whine and complain, it won't change unless they lose so much money that they stop the plan. they won't and looks like a long fight in which the 2 stroke will only survive with small companys making the bikes.

time will see how that plays.

oh ps.

they changed the amatuer rule pertaining to the 2-wheel drive bikes. the last two years they have been banned in amatuer ama. they will be allowed now. this was a good move as I personally feel that all bikes should be "included" to promote better and more inclusive racing.

Post a reply to: AMA's reply to my 2 stroke concern. Sorry DC.

The Latest