AMA vs. MXGP

71Fish
3/5/2015 5:42pm
Amazing this guy claims to understand the hustle of not only the American series but both thst and the European series in 3 MINUTES :woohoo: I've...
Amazing this guy claims to understand the hustle of not only the American series but both thst and the European series in 3 MINUTES Woohoo I've raced both of them n put my life into it n don't understand either by a long shot. This dudes got to be the smartest guy on Moto earth.
71Fish wrote:
I don't believe I claimed anything other than an understanding of basic math. But what I can't understand is shining a laser pointer into competitors eyes...
I don't believe I claimed anything other than an understanding of basic math.
But what I can't understand is shining a laser pointer into competitors eyes. Can you?
jeffro503 wrote:
I wouldn't be bagging on Jeff here after all the bullshit you've spewed on these threads over the years. I actually don't think I've read to...
I wouldn't be bagging on Jeff here after all the bullshit you've spewed on these threads over the years. I actually don't think I've read to many comments from you that didn't have you insulting the Pieck's in some way. GFY.
You can go back and look at the multiple threads about pointergate. I did not make a single comment on those threads. Not one. Or the Pieck's, I have no idea what you are talking about. Matter of fact I don't believe (I could be wrong) I've ever said a derogatory thing about a rider until now. If you find one, I would like to read it.
iBobbyb
3/5/2015 5:51pm
I'm not going to argue who's faster because both sides of the Ocean are pretty damn equal. However, privateers on bikes without one off tire compounds...
I'm not going to argue who's faster because both sides of the Ocean are pretty damn equal. However, privateers on bikes without one off tire compounds and factory support end up once in awhile showing the fans and the factories that they can hang with the best. It's a great format and once in a blue those privateers end up with factory support for their efforts. I like the idea of my box truck against your factory semi.
iBobbyb wrote:
if a privateer is fast enough to make noise, then he would be fast enough to qualify in a 30 man gate or what ever. his...
if a privateer is fast enough to make noise, then he would be fast enough to qualify in a 30 man gate or what ever. his post was talking about the guys that are way off pace, but since there isnt 40 guys on pace, they make the motos and just get in the way for the most part.

thats one thing i like way better about the gps, is the smaller gate.. and i wouldnt mind seeing even less guys. if your way off pace, you shouldnt be out there. lappers arent doing anything productive, just out there possibly ruining the race of guys that actually belong out there. no disrespect to those guys, they haul ass. but at a national, there just a an annoying goon, thats in the way. just like there probably annoyed by all the goons in there way when there racing locally.
Respectfully agree to disagree. I don't want to see a 20 man gate. It would be boring. On an outdoor track lappers don't really play a...
Respectfully agree to disagree. I don't want to see a 20 man gate. It would be boring. On an outdoor track lappers don't really play a role in the outcome of an event. You seem to enjoy watching the MXGP's. How many spectators were at Qatar?
because i like one thing about the gps, you came to the conclusion that i like the gps? you must not have seen some of my other posts. lol. but not a lot of spectators were there. but thats because theres no fans there. they only have the race because the rich oil tycoons are willing to pay for it.

but why would it be boring? are you watching all 40 guys? do they show all 40 guys on tv during the moto? really, what are they adding to the excitement for you?

and yes, on an outdoor track lappers cause problems. you must not be watching the races or something if you think difrernt. it might not be every race. but at least a couple times a year you see a lapper get in the way. and thats just what i see on tv. could be way worse if you seen even everything that happend on the track.
3/5/2015 6:36pm
If you really want to enjoy motocross then TV will never do it justice. I love full gates and privateers mixing it up with factory riders.

mx836
3/5/2015 6:51pm
There's 40 gates for a reason. Fill 'em. You crash in the first turn and are dead last? You need to pass 39 guys to win. And to whoever said that nobody pays attention to the guys in the back of the pack, I do, and so do many others.

The Shop

iBobbyb
3/5/2015 6:56pm
If you really want to enjoy motocross then TV will never do it justice. I love full gates and privateers mixing it up with factory riders...
If you really want to enjoy motocross then TV will never do it justice. I love full gates and privateers mixing it up with factory riders.

i think you are missing what im saying. you want to see the privateers mix it up with the factories. thats fine, and exciting to see. im not talking about cutting the guys that can mix it up. but there isnt 40 guys that can mix it up. a lot of these guys couldnt finish top 20 if they pulled the holeshot. its like having c riders out with the a class. there just in the way.

http://www.motoxaddicts.com/2014/05/24/2014-glen-helen-national-qualify…

the 36th place qualifier was 13 seconds off of the fastest time. he wont be mixing it up with any factory guys.
3/5/2015 7:13pm
iBobbyb wrote:
if a privateer is fast enough to make noise, then he would be fast enough to qualify in a 30 man gate or what ever. his...
if a privateer is fast enough to make noise, then he would be fast enough to qualify in a 30 man gate or what ever. his post was talking about the guys that are way off pace, but since there isnt 40 guys on pace, they make the motos and just get in the way for the most part.

thats one thing i like way better about the gps, is the smaller gate.. and i wouldnt mind seeing even less guys. if your way off pace, you shouldnt be out there. lappers arent doing anything productive, just out there possibly ruining the race of guys that actually belong out there. no disrespect to those guys, they haul ass. but at a national, there just a an annoying goon, thats in the way. just like there probably annoyed by all the goons in there way when there racing locally.
Ruining the race for guys that actually belong out there? So the guys that bust their ass through the amateur rank and continue to bust their ass, work on their own bikes and pay their own way every weekend and still are one of the top 40 fastest guys in the country dont belong out there? Sure they may be off pace of the factory guys who only have to worry about practice and cycling during the week while their flights and bikes are prepped, but lets not forget Peick was one of those "goons" not too long ago. I'll be looking for BobbyB in timed qualifying come Hangtown.
iBobbyb
3/5/2015 7:37pm
iBobbyb wrote:

Ruining the race for guys that actually belong out there? So the guys that bust their ass through the amateur rank and continue to bust their...
Ruining the race for guys that actually belong out there? So the guys that bust their ass through the amateur rank and continue to bust their ass, work on their own bikes and pay their own way every weekend and still are one of the top 40 fastest guys in the country dont belong out there? Sure they may be off pace of the factory guys who only have to worry about practice and cycling during the week while their flights and bikes are prepped, but lets not forget Peick was one of those "goons" not too long ago. I'll be looking for BobbyB in timed qualifying come Hangtown.
work on your reading skills yo. i never called them goons. in fact i said they haul ass. but not compared to the top guys. and who cares if they work there asses off, and work on there own bikes. so do thousands of other riders. should we expand the gates to hold 100 riders so they can have a chance as well? since apparently the more the merrier, and being able to win the race is irrelevant. i thought wanting to win was one of the main reasons to line up at the gate. but apparently its to just be at the gate, even if you have literally 0% chance at winning or even finishing top 20.

and yes, ruining the race for the guys that are actually fast enough to be out there going for wins, or even points... lol... you know, by getting lapped and forcing the leaders to take alternate lines, or worry about them, or getting in the way of a battle. like i said, it doesnt always happen. but it does sometimes, and is it really worth it when they do? what do they add to the race? no one has givin an example of how they help the racing yet. but i have given an example of how they hurt the racing.

yall must just not be fast enough to lap people, and dont know what its like to deal with it.

maybe we should have 40 man gates for SX too. cuz its not fair to the 40th place mx guy who works his ass off, and works on his own bike, and has to travel, and blah blah blah, to not be able to race SX as well. and its not like lappers are a problem right, so yea, lets do it. how exciting would that be!
jeffro503
3/5/2015 7:58pm
71Fish wrote:
I don't believe I claimed anything other than an understanding of basic math. But what I can't understand is shining a laser pointer into competitors eyes...
I don't believe I claimed anything other than an understanding of basic math.
But what I can't understand is shining a laser pointer into competitors eyes. Can you?
jeffro503 wrote:
I wouldn't be bagging on Jeff here after all the bullshit you've spewed on these threads over the years. I actually don't think I've read to...
I wouldn't be bagging on Jeff here after all the bullshit you've spewed on these threads over the years. I actually don't think I've read to many comments from you that didn't have you insulting the Pieck's in some way. GFY.
71Fish wrote:
You can go back and look at the multiple threads about pointergate. I did not make a single comment on those threads. Not one. Or the...
You can go back and look at the multiple threads about pointergate. I did not make a single comment on those threads. Not one. Or the Pieck's, I have no idea what you are talking about. Matter of fact I don't believe (I could be wrong) I've ever said a derogatory thing about a rider until now. If you find one, I would like to read it.
Well damn it....I owe you a big apology! I got you mixed up with this guy here T-fish >> http://www.vitalmx.com/community/T-Fish,18197/all That pretty did nothing but slam on Weston and Lou every chance he got. Really sorry man.....jumped the gun.
71Fish
3/5/2015 8:37pm
jeffro503 wrote:
71Fish wrote:
You can go back and look at the multiple threads about pointergate. I did not make a single comment on those threads. Not one. Or the...
jeffro503 wrote:
Well damn it....I owe you a big apology! I got you mixed up with this guy here T-fish >> http://www.vitalmx.com/community/T-Fish,18197/all That pretty did nothing but slam...
Well damn it....I owe you a big apology! I got you mixed up with this guy here T-fish >> http://www.vitalmx.com/community/T-Fish,18197/all That pretty did nothing but slam on Weston and Lou every chance he got. Really sorry man.....jumped the gun.
No problem. Weston Pieck is passionate about racing and he's fun to watch. I'd like to see Ronnie Stewart catch a break sometime too.
jemcee
3/5/2015 8:51pm
If you really want to enjoy motocross then TV will never do it justice. I love full gates and privateers mixing it up with factory riders...

while I agree with the sentiment but also don't care about there only being 20-30 on a GP gate.. but I've only quoted cause your bottom pic is JLaw and Ryan Hughes and I'm not sure either have ever been privateers haha unless I'm missing your point
3/5/2015 9:02pm
iBobbyb wrote:
work on your reading skills yo. i never called them goons. in fact i said they haul ass. but not compared to the top guys. and...
work on your reading skills yo. i never called them goons. in fact i said they haul ass. but not compared to the top guys. and who cares if they work there asses off, and work on there own bikes. so do thousands of other riders. should we expand the gates to hold 100 riders so they can have a chance as well? since apparently the more the merrier, and being able to win the race is irrelevant. i thought wanting to win was one of the main reasons to line up at the gate. but apparently its to just be at the gate, even if you have literally 0% chance at winning or even finishing top 20.

and yes, ruining the race for the guys that are actually fast enough to be out there going for wins, or even points... lol... you know, by getting lapped and forcing the leaders to take alternate lines, or worry about them, or getting in the way of a battle. like i said, it doesnt always happen. but it does sometimes, and is it really worth it when they do? what do they add to the race? no one has givin an example of how they help the racing yet. but i have given an example of how they hurt the racing.

yall must just not be fast enough to lap people, and dont know what its like to deal with it.

maybe we should have 40 man gates for SX too. cuz its not fair to the 40th place mx guy who works his ass off, and works on his own bike, and has to travel, and blah blah blah, to not be able to race SX as well. and its not like lappers are a problem right, so yea, lets do it. how exciting would that be!
"no disrespect to those guys, they haul ass. but at a national, there just a an annoying goon, thats in the way." Yo.

iBobbyb
3/5/2015 9:15pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2015 9:16pm
iBobbyb wrote:
work on your reading skills yo. i never called them goons. in fact i said they haul ass. but not compared to the top guys. and...

"no disrespect to those guys, they haul ass. but at a national, [b]there just a an annoying goon, thats in the way."[/b] Yo.
"no disrespect to those guys, they haul ass. but at a national, there just a an annoying goon, thats in the way." Yo.

ok, pretty much got me there.. but in my defense, i meant that there goons in the eyes of the top guys lapping them, it just wasent worded as clearly as it could have been....but pros do see the back markes as goons. just ask ask peick, since reed called him a goon and told him he should stay at home, back when he first got into A practice for sx . and peick has also complained about the "squids" aka goons, in the lcq. and were not even talking about when they lap them. just them being on the track flat out.

but you have still yet to give a valid argument about what they add to the racing.... so yea... me 1, you still 0. good try though on dodging the debate by trying to point out a small mistake i made. lol.
3/5/2015 9:24pm
iBobbyb wrote:
ok, pretty much got me there.. but in my defense, i meant that there goons in the eyes of the top guys lapping them, it just...
ok, pretty much got me there.. but in my defense, i meant that there goons in the eyes of the top guys lapping them, it just wasent worded as clearly as it could have been....but pros do see the back markes as goons. just ask ask peick, since reed called him a goon and told him he should stay at home, back when he first got into A practice for sx . and peick has also complained about the "squids" aka goons, in the lcq. and were not even talking about when they lap them. just them being on the track flat out.

but you have still yet to give a valid argument about what they add to the racing.... so yea... me 1, you still 0. good try though on dodging the debate by trying to point out a small mistake i made. lol.
What they add to racing is what the whole sport is about. If they only took the top guys that could win for each moto, what would that bring for the fans and the people whose goal is to line up even if a factory guy calls em a squid? There's people out there that cheer just for those back markers. Yea, they could potentially mess with the leaders but its part of racing. If they want only the top guys in races, stick to the dash for cash's in arena cross. Lappers are more of an issue in SX and with this season, 20 out of the 22 on the gate had winning potential within the last 5 years. American motocross is all about the 40 man gate!
iBobbyb
3/5/2015 9:42pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2015 9:44pm
What they add to racing is what the whole sport is about. If they only took the top guys that could win for each moto, what...
What they add to racing is what the whole sport is about. If they only took the top guys that could win for each moto, what would that bring for the fans and the people whose goal is to line up even if a factory guy calls em a squid? There's people out there that cheer just for those back markers. Yea, they could potentially mess with the leaders but its part of racing. If they want only the top guys in races, stick to the dash for cash's in arena cross. Lappers are more of an issue in SX and with this season, 20 out of the 22 on the gate had winning potential within the last 5 years. American motocross is all about the 40 man gate!
still not one example of what they add to the racing..... and as far as Sx goes, id say they all actually belong out there. at A1 20 of em finished on the lead lap. and if the % of riders that finish on the lead lap was higher in mx, id be all for it. but seriously, whats the point of having a guy thats 13 seconds slower a lap on the track? because some people cheer for them? they could cheer for them at a local race then... and its only a part of racing because we have 40 man gates, and only roughly 20 guys fast enough to not get lapped every week. and what exactly is the whole sport about? i thought we raced to win, which would mean winning is what the sports about. but i guess im wrong? i guess its about lining up at a pro gate, even if you cant hang with the known pros? im not saying cut it down to 5 guys, since thats really about how many actually have a shot at winning. im just saying we dont need guys on the gate that could rip a holeshot, not have a single crash in the moto, and still end up finishing in a non point paying position. and what exactly makes american motocross all about a 40 man gate? because thats the number they came up with a long time ago? change is the devil huh.

and maybe if the gate was smaller, those riders whose goal is to just line up, would be forced to work harder to accomplish that goal, and then we could potentially have more riders who arent just in the way.

you have yet to really explain any points you have tried to make. your just stating your opinion with nothing to support it...

and the funniest part of this to me, is im actually a fan of the guy that qualified 36th, and im using as an example. and theres also a few local pros who i root for who have no chance at top 20. lol

jeffro503
3/5/2015 10:32pm
Ya know....a lot of really fast guys were back markers at one point in their career. And the only way to find out if they can make it into the top 10 - 20.....is if they are out there racing. It's been this way for decades........it's what the sport is all about. Hell.....the guys who are usually getting 30th - 40th.....are guys who are completely mopping up anything local......there is no where else for them to go.

Food for thought.
iBobbyb
3/6/2015 8:18am
jeffro503 wrote:
Ya know....a lot of really fast guys were back markers at one point in their career. And the only way to find out if they can...
Ya know....a lot of really fast guys were back markers at one point in their career. And the only way to find out if they can make it into the top 10 - 20.....is if they are out there racing. It's been this way for decades........it's what the sport is all about. Hell.....the guys who are usually getting 30th - 40th.....are guys who are completely mopping up anything local......there is no where else for them to go.

Food for thought.
first off let me just say, great job for actually having a reason as to why is should remain the same... and im by no means trying to demand a change. its not like its broken right now. im just throwing out an opinion of how i think it could be better.

but they could find out if there fast enough just by trying to qualify. and personally id rather them find out that way, then by making the race and watching everybody ride away from them... and as far as them mopping everything up locally. theres still a lot of big am races that bring in a lot of fast guys, and some pretty good prize money.

and can someone please enlighten me, or give some history or whatever on exactly how it came to be a 40 man gate? and why exactly thats what the sports all about? like i said, i would have guessed its all about winning. i know when i line up at a gate its not about how many are on it, its how many are gonna finish behind me. and if its 0, i dont think i belong on that gate. lol

but one point i cant believe nobody has used for there argument is the extra money it brings into the series. its not cheap to sign up and all that. and when you add 12 rounds together, im sure it would be a pretty large loss to shrink the gate..
DC
3/6/2015 8:46am Edited Date/Time 3/6/2015 8:46am
I will try to explain it to you, iBobbyb, it's a 40-man gate because fans who can't see the whole track will get bored waiting 90 seconds for the lead guys to come back around to their section. You're from Michigan, so you know that at RedBud you can only see one half of the track from any given spot except the very top. People like to see activity in front of them, whether it's Ryan Dungey battling Ken Roczen, or two local guys battling to get points. The size of the starting gate was based on the size of the track and a way to make the events better, I am guessing, because it's been like that since long before I got involved.

You said "I thought we raced to win" but I disagree. Nick Wey has raced for 17 years as a pro and he won one national. He's still out there, he has a huge following and he brings something to every race -- passion.

Racing is a participatory sport. People race because they want to, and many are qualified to race at the highest level, but only one rider out of 40 gets to win any given race. (In supercross, where the track is half the size, with 100 percent viewing and a much higher difficulty factor, the number is 22.)

Why does NASCAR have 43 qualifiers? Why is the NCAA Tournament 64 teams? Why does golf have 128 entries? People like to watch sports, and they pick who they root for, from the top of the field to the bottom, and they enjoy seeing activity on the track or courts in front of them. It's content that builds and rewards the audience.

If you root for the guy who qualified 36th, or the local pro with no chance at the top twenty, why would you now ask them to stay home or go somewhere else?

DC
MX Sports
3/6/2015 8:53am
Bobby, although I don't agree with what you're saying, I understand the points you make. I find myself at times yelling at my TV for the lappers to get out of the way but they did what they had to do and made the cut off to qualify into the race so they have the right to be out there.

In 2011 Mike Sottile qualified fastest out of B practice at Southwick. Almost a full second faster than anyone else. He then went on to go 18-28 for 25th overall. The fastest guy in practice ended up being out of the top 20, only getting him 3 points. What's your view on that, did he belong out there or no because he didn't have a shot to win it when the gate dropped?

I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding why these guys don't belong out there. They raced their way in and met all the requirements. It's not like they picked names out of a hat for the other 20 guys on the gate. And this is now way off the topic
david225
3/6/2015 8:55am
DC wrote:
I will try to explain it to you, iBobbyb, it's a 40-man gate because fans who can't see the whole track will get bored waiting 90...
I will try to explain it to you, iBobbyb, it's a 40-man gate because fans who can't see the whole track will get bored waiting 90 seconds for the lead guys to come back around to their section. You're from Michigan, so you know that at RedBud you can only see one half of the track from any given spot except the very top. People like to see activity in front of them, whether it's Ryan Dungey battling Ken Roczen, or two local guys battling to get points. The size of the starting gate was based on the size of the track and a way to make the events better, I am guessing, because it's been like that since long before I got involved.

You said "I thought we raced to win" but I disagree. Nick Wey has raced for 17 years as a pro and he won one national. He's still out there, he has a huge following and he brings something to every race -- passion.

Racing is a participatory sport. People race because they want to, and many are qualified to race at the highest level, but only one rider out of 40 gets to win any given race. (In supercross, where the track is half the size, with 100 percent viewing and a much higher difficulty factor, the number is 22.)

Why does NASCAR have 43 qualifiers? Why is the NCAA Tournament 64 teams? Why does golf have 128 entries? People like to watch sports, and they pick who they root for, from the top of the field to the bottom, and they enjoy seeing activity on the track or courts in front of them. It's content that builds and rewards the audience.

If you root for the guy who qualified 36th, or the local pro with no chance at the top twenty, why would you now ask them to stay home or go somewhere else?

DC
MX Sports
You have a way with words DC! Awesome post. I love going to High Point and what was Steel City rooting for the locals to make it into the fast 40, not only does their hard work pay off by just getting in, but it also gives a good reputation to the district they are representing.
bents
Fantasy
909th
3/6/2015 8:59am
if you are fast enough to make the main gate of a pro supercross or a motocross race, you are a bad dude, and the battle for those positions towards the back are some of the best we get to watch. I'm sorry if anyone thins they don't belong, they are a knucklehead, plain and simple. The commitment and sacrifice it takes to get this far, in this day and age of our sport, is crazy.
iBobbyb
3/6/2015 9:47am
DC wrote:
I will try to explain it to you, iBobbyb, it's a 40-man gate because fans who can't see the whole track will get bored waiting 90...

DC
MX Sports
redbud, where you either sit in the very top row of the stands and can see everything. or you pick between the leap, or the rest of the track. lol. such a hard decision to make.

and as far as the 90 seconds wait. by the mid way point, the back 10 are mixed in with the leaders anyway, so it doesnt really fill a gap between when the front comes through, and when the last guy on the lead lap comes through.

and ok, the ncca tourney has 64 teams. but a 16th seed team has came close to beating a one seed, and multiple 15th seeds have won games. can you say the same for a guy that qualified 36th? has a guy that qualified that low ever beat a top 5 guy straight up (excluding crashes, or dnfs, etc)? and in golf, i cant tell you the lowest ranked player to ever win, but "randoms" win events all the time. which cant be said for MX.

and i ask the guys i root for to go somewhere else, because its not fair to a leader coming through, getting blocked, and then losing the race because another rider who isnt anywhere near his caliber got in his way and cost him. i mean no disrespect to these guys. they fly. flat out. but there is such a gap in skill from the front to the back, and im just saying id like to see that gap of skill be a little bit tighter.

what if the back 10 were 30 seconds off the pace. do you still think it should be a 40 man gate? what if they were a full minute off the pace? would you still wanna fill the gate?

do you want C class ams racing with A class ams? no, we separate them for a reason, right?

another question i have, is why does it seem everyone takes the size of the gate so personally? lol

dont get me wrong, theres nothing better than seeing 40 bikes going into that first turn. but id be willing to sacrifice a small portion of that excitement, if it meant better racing for the guys actually on the track. its just not fair for a guy that works his ass off, AND has the talent to win, to be screwed just because another guy has the passion to be trying to not finish dead last...
and if there passionate and only goal is to line up at the gate. then making it tougher to get in should theoretically just make them push harder to get faster so they can achieve there goal, which would result in the back of the pack being closer in speed to the front.

and the gp fans dont seem to mind to much that they only have a 30 man gate, or what ever it is.

@waffles

with the 40 man gate, and things being the way they are, they definitely earned there spot. im just kinda saying, make it harder to earn that spot. like when you go to your local race. you dont sign up for A class just because theres room on the gate. you sign up for the class that fits your speed the best. and in most classes, 13 seconds off the lead wouldnt really be the class that fits your speed.

but like ive said. im not saying a 40 man gate doesnt work, or things are broken right now. the racing is great, and its not that big of a deal. this all just started because i said i prefer the gps smaller maned gate, and someone gave there opinion that they wouldnt like that, and i gave my reasoning's for why i would. and being as bored as i was last night, i couldnt turn down a good debate, regardless of the topic. haha. and i even get the chance to discuss it with DC himself, so id say it worked out pretty good. haha
jmx411
3/6/2015 9:50am
david225 wrote:
You have a way with words DC! Awesome post. I love going to High Point and what was Steel City rooting for the locals to make...
You have a way with words DC! Awesome post. I love going to High Point and what was Steel City rooting for the locals to make it into the fast 40, not only does their hard work pay off by just getting in, but it also gives a good reputation to the district they are representing.
AMA is far more superior than MXGP. Like comparing NFL to MLS in my honest opinion.

Man do I miss Steel City. Never will forget witnessing Windham win in 2010
3/6/2015 10:04am
What class is there between expert at the local district and the pro nationals?
iBobbyb
3/6/2015 10:07am
expert class at AM nationals. hell, even A class, and maybe B class at AM nationals.
DC
3/6/2015 11:01am
I get iBobby's points, but I disagree with them. I like the 40-man gates and was lucky enough to be on a couple, at the very far outside. I didn't score any points at the 1985 High Point 125 National, but it was one of my all-time favorite memories, and I got lapped by Ron Lechien, but not until almost the very end. I was in the local newspaper, and I think I had some friends from high school and college there cheering for me. Getting lapped made me reconsider my future and my commitment to college, and I think I chose well. But had I not had the chance to have that experience, maybe I would not have raced mini cycles and amateurs all those years to get there.

Oh, and I remember both Shae Bentley and Nathan Ramsey winning the Las Vegas SX after qualifying with the very last LCQ spot, which equates to qualifying 44th. And didn't Jeremy McGrath qualify last at Pontiac in 1994 and then win the main?

DC
MX Sports
jeffro503
3/6/2015 11:09am
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports
This ones for you DC! Awesome post! Hope to have a beer ( or pop? ) with you some day and do some bench racing!

JBlain619
3/6/2015 11:20am
DC wrote:
I get iBobby's points, but I disagree with them. I like the 40-man gates and was lucky enough to be on a couple, at the very...
I get iBobby's points, but I disagree with them. I like the 40-man gates and was lucky enough to be on a couple, at the very far outside. I didn't score any points at the 1985 High Point 125 National, but it was one of my all-time favorite memories, and I got lapped by Ron Lechien, but not until almost the very end. I was in the local newspaper, and I think I had some friends from high school and college there cheering for me. Getting lapped made me reconsider my future and my commitment to college, and I think I chose well. But had I not had the chance to have that experience, maybe I would not have raced mini cycles and amateurs all those years to get there.

Oh, and I remember both Shae Bentley and Nathan Ramsey winning the Las Vegas SX after qualifying with the very last LCQ spot, which equates to qualifying 44th. And didn't Jeremy McGrath qualify last at Pontiac in 1994 and then win the main?

DC
MX Sports
40 man gate has been the staple in American MX for as long as I can remember and I hope that never changes. The thing that I would like to see change back is the order. 250's first, then the 450's. Since the 450 class is the "big boy" class, I think they should have to perform when the tracks are the roughest. I know that Davey and MX Sports have a reason for it. Never will question them because that's a hard working, intelligent group! I have to point out though that Shae only one 2 SX's, Houston and Minneapolis! Tongue
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
3/6/2015 11:21am
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports
jeffro503 wrote:
This ones for you DC! Awesome post! Hope to have a beer ( or pop? ) with you some day and do some bench racing! [img]http://stufftodointampabay.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/beer-cheers.jpg[/img]
This ones for you DC! Awesome post! Hope to have a beer ( or pop? ) with you some day and do some bench racing!

Teachers pet.
jeffro503
3/6/2015 11:26am
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports
jeffro503 wrote:
This ones for you DC! Awesome post! Hope to have a beer ( or pop? ) with you some day and do some bench racing! [img]http://stufftodointampabay.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/beer-cheers.jpg[/img]

UpTiTe wrote:
Teachers pet.
Well hey.....if I could drink a beer with the dude who runs the show.....why not? Hope to drink one with you too one day Uptite!
The Rock
3/6/2015 12:01pm
Think it was GrapeApe that recently said something to the effect of what is the point of yet another us versus them thread. All we need now is another thread about chest protectors.

Seriously for me it is the Nationals AND MXGP. Both are motocross races and championships but differ drastically. If you can appreciate the differences instead of focusing on comparisons on which one is "better" the sport becomes that much fuller for a MX fan. The Euros started this sport for most of us that are older usually have a soft spot for GPs and anything Trans Am related so that's a natural seque to following MXGP and of course we also into MX and SX. We're fans for God's sake...real fans.

On the younger side of the age spectrum I can appreciate up until RV's decision to race MXGP in 2015 many of the younger racers might have not been that into what was happening across the pond. For me the last three MXdN's and the speed of the GP riders in general I feel has gone a long way to remove the stigma "man the Euros are slow" and the fastest guys are in America. To be clear what the last three MXdN show me is that the ROW (rest of the world) has real MX chops but it doesn't answer the question who is better GP or US National racers.

Comparing GP racers to US racers is a much of a waste of time IMHO as comparing the Nationals to MXGP but just as I am pretty sure we will eventually see another upper body protection thread from that one guy the Nats versus GP deal will continue. As a fan I want to see our National circuits continue their focus on real MX tracks and over time de hybridizing tracks save a MMP or some other venue where it makes sense to hold an event on a less than typical spot for a "real" MX track.

Maybe if people really have to compare the question is who is the best supercross racer and who is best motocross racer in the world at any point in time. My hope is the US will dominate in both SX and MX and not only SX going forward but only time will tell.

DC-What do you think about Mike Kidd's ScrambleCross series?

Post a reply to: AMA vs. MXGP

The Latest