AMA vs. MXGP

71Fish
Edited Date/Time 3/6/2015 10:36pm
Who is better/faster, AMA MX or MXGP? Some deeper analysis than I did this morning in about 3 minutes would be interesting.

I compared the most recent MXGP race in Qatar to the AMA's last race of the 2014 in Utah. Obviously different tracks, different conditions etc., plus it's only one race. So take it for what it's worth, I have time to kill this morning.

Comparing the top 10, in Qatar 10 place finished an average of 1:05 behind the winner.
In Utah last year, 10 place finished one lap down, or looking at lap times, probably about 2:00 minutes behind. In Qatar you have to go all the way to 18th to find your first lapped rider.

This year Glen Helen will provide a much better comparison. According to the MXGP web site, the last time GP raced there was 2011. Looking at AMA lap times, it seems the track has changed from 2014 to the last time AMA raced there.

Don't know who is better or faster just from looking at one race, but MXGP seems to have closer competition. Glen Helen will be fun.

|
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
3/5/2015 6:08am
What a waste of 3 minutes . . .
Olson
3/5/2015 6:08am
I didn't even have time to read your post but I gotta tell you I love your topic. Excellent choice.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
3/5/2015 6:10am Edited Date/Time 3/5/2015 6:12am
Like comparing apples to green beans.
There wasnt much on the Qatar track to separate the men from the boys. I think as they hit different tracks for the GPs the gaps will get wider.

The Shop

DC
3/5/2015 6:36am
71Fish, I don't think it's fair to compare an opening round of one series to the closing round of another. The last round of MXGP was in Mexico and not everyone was there, or healthy.

DC
MX Sports
71Fish
3/5/2015 6:43am
DC wrote:
71Fish, I don't think it's fair to compare an opening round of one series to the closing round of another. The last round of MXGP was...
71Fish, I don't think it's fair to compare an opening round of one series to the closing round of another. The last round of MXGP was in Mexico and not everyone was there, or healthy.

DC
MX Sports
I think I made it clear that this wasn't the best comparison and didn't really mean anything. Just a stats geek having fun with numbers.
Olson
3/5/2015 6:45am
DC is present. Now where's that Luongo? Let's settle this.
katooom
3/5/2015 6:47am
One thing for sure - the MXGP guys should hire the AMA broadcast crew. The video coverage was horrible - looked like a few guys standing trackside with iphone cameras.
DC
3/5/2015 6:51am
71Fish, no worries, I am a stat geek too. My favorite stat of the year so far was 20 of 22 450SX riders all finishing on the same lap at Anaheim 1...

DC
MX Sports
Huckster
3/5/2015 6:53am
There is NO comparison in the series. The AMA outdoor MX Championship is far better than the GP's. Now comparing the riders in each series is a totally different story.
RY4N37
3/5/2015 9:03am
Huckster wrote:
There is NO comparison in the series. The AMA outdoor MX Championship is far better than the GP's. Now comparing the riders in each series is...
There is NO comparison in the series. The AMA outdoor MX Championship is far better than the GP's. Now comparing the riders in each series is a totally different story.
I would say that is a pretty good assessment. The riders in each series are just as good. But in terms of how the series is run, the AMA nationals are considerably better and more supporting of the competitors
3/5/2015 10:34am Edited Date/Time 3/5/2015 12:03pm
Two completely different series

3/5/2015 1:18pm
hillbilly wrote:
Doesn't only 30 riders start a mxgp?
The extra riders making a full AMA gate really don't add anything to the racing, if anything they just tend to get in the way of the leaders when they inevitably get lapped. No disrespect to those privateer guys but that's how it is.
3/5/2015 2:51pm
hillbilly wrote:
The extra riders making a full AMA gate really don't add anything to the racing, if anything they just tend to get in the way of...
The extra riders making a full AMA gate really don't add anything to the racing, if anything they just tend to get in the way of the leaders when they inevitably get lapped. No disrespect to those privateer guys but that's how it is.
I'm not going to argue who's faster because both sides of the Ocean are pretty damn equal. However, privateers on bikes without one off tire compounds and factory support end up once in awhile showing the fans and the factories that they can hang with the best. It's a great format and once in a blue those privateers end up with factory support for their efforts. I like the idea of my box truck against your factory semi.
dirtnapper
3/5/2015 2:57pm
AWESOME! A U.S. vs GP thread......haven't had one of these in a while!!
Jeff alessi
3/5/2015 3:04pm
I love when people start threads looking for attention. I think I just hurt my forhead. Serious face palm.
Jeff alessi
3/5/2015 3:06pm
Amazing this guy claims to understand the hustle of not only the American series but both thst and the European series in 3 MINUTES Woohoo I've raced both of them n put my life into it n don't understand either by a long shot. This dudes got to be the smartest guy on Moto earth.
71Fish
3/5/2015 4:20pm
Amazing this guy claims to understand the hustle of not only the American series but both thst and the European series in 3 MINUTES :woohoo: I've...
Amazing this guy claims to understand the hustle of not only the American series but both thst and the European series in 3 MINUTES Woohoo I've raced both of them n put my life into it n don't understand either by a long shot. This dudes got to be the smartest guy on Moto earth.
I don't believe I claimed anything other than an understanding of basic math.
But what I can't understand is shining a laser pointer into competitors eyes. Can you?
Flex
3/5/2015 4:31pm
Amazing this guy claims to understand the hustle of not only the American series but both thst and the European series in 3 MINUTES :woohoo: I've...
71Fish wrote:
I don't believe I claimed anything other than an understanding of basic math. But what I can't understand is shining a laser pointer into competitors eyes...
But what I can't understand is shining a laser pointer into competitors eyes. Can you?
Will you ever let this laser thing go?

Holy shit couple years have past since get over yourself 71Fish..
Excaliburbmx
3/5/2015 4:35pm
DC wrote:
71Fish, no worries, I am a stat geek too. My favorite stat of the year so far was 20 of 22 450SX riders all finishing on...
71Fish, no worries, I am a stat geek too. My favorite stat of the year so far was 20 of 22 450SX riders all finishing on the same lap at Anaheim 1...

DC
MX Sports
Probably a first? So much pairity this year is very competitive.
Excaliburbmx
3/5/2015 4:39pm
71Fish wrote:
I don't believe I claimed anything other than an understanding of basic math. But what I can't understand is shining a laser pointer into competitors eyes...
Do you still hate on the kid in third grade who cut the lunch line. Damn dude let it go.
iBobbyb
3/5/2015 4:43pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2015 4:53pm
hillbilly wrote:
The extra riders making a full AMA gate really don't add anything to the racing, if anything they just tend to get in the way of...
I'm not going to argue who's faster because both sides of the Ocean are pretty damn equal. However, privateers on bikes without one off tire compounds...
I'm not going to argue who's faster because both sides of the Ocean are pretty damn equal. However, privateers on bikes without one off tire compounds and factory support end up once in awhile showing the fans and the factories that they can hang with the best. It's a great format and once in a blue those privateers end up with factory support for their efforts. I like the idea of my box truck against your factory semi.
if a privateer is fast enough to make noise, then he would be fast enough to qualify in a 30 man gate or what ever. his post was talking about the guys that are way off pace, but since there isnt 40 guys on pace, they make the motos and just get in the way for the most part.

thats one thing i like way better about the gps, is the smaller gate.. and i wouldnt mind seeing even less guys. if your way off pace, you shouldnt be out there. lappers arent doing anything productive, just out there possibly ruining the race of guys that actually belong out there. no disrespect to those guys, they haul ass. but at a national, there just a an annoying goon, thats in the way. just like there probably annoyed by all the goons in there way when there racing locally.
3/5/2015 5:10pm
I'm not going to argue who's faster because both sides of the Ocean are pretty damn equal. However, privateers on bikes without one off tire compounds...
iBobbyb wrote:
if a privateer is fast enough to make noise, then he would be fast enough to qualify in a 30 man gate or what ever. his...
if a privateer is fast enough to make noise, then he would be fast enough to qualify in a 30 man gate or what ever. his post was talking about the guys that are way off pace, but since there isnt 40 guys on pace, they make the motos and just get in the way for the most part.

thats one thing i like way better about the gps, is the smaller gate.. and i wouldnt mind seeing even less guys. if your way off pace, you shouldnt be out there. lappers arent doing anything productive, just out there possibly ruining the race of guys that actually belong out there. no disrespect to those guys, they haul ass. but at a national, there just a an annoying goon, thats in the way. just like there probably annoyed by all the goons in there way when there racing locally.
Respectfully agree to disagree. I don't want to see a 20 man gate. It would be boring. On an outdoor track lappers don't really play a role in the outcome of an event. You seem to enjoy watching the MXGP's. How many spectators were at Qatar?
jeffro503
3/5/2015 5:12pm
kongols wrote:
Jeffro says... [img]https://i.memeful.com/media/post/Pd1XnER_700wa_0.gif[/img]
Jeffro says...

Haha!!....yes.....Yes I do!
jeffro503
3/5/2015 5:16pm
71Fish wrote:
I wouldn't be bagging on Jeff here after all the bullshit you've spewed on these threads over the years. I actually don't think I've read to many comments from you that didn't have you insulting the Pieck's in some way. GFY.

Post a reply to: AMA vs. MXGP

The Latest