AMA making riders run assigned numbers

spd721
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 1:45am
What do you guys thinks of the AMA making the riders running the number that they are assigned too?

I'm not really a fan of it. Its going to be different seeing guys like Morais, Izzi, and J-law not really their normal number.
|
newmann
10/7/2010 6:09am
The AMA doesn't have anything to do with anything pro moto related. True story, they told me so.
SCIENCE
10/7/2010 6:46am
spd721 wrote:
What do you guys thinks of the AMA making the riders running the number that they are assigned too? I'm not really a fan of it...
What do you guys thinks of the AMA making the riders running the number that they are assigned too?

I'm not really a fan of it. Its going to be different seeing guys like Morais, Izzi, and J-law not really their normal number.
MXSports probably has more to do with the new policy (which I applaud). Davey? They need to take it one step further though. Permanent numbers for past National/SX champs only! Maybe grandfather some of the veterans or world champs as long as they get points, KDub, JD, Short, Wey, but everybody else gets their number based on points. Brayton, Chisholm and Wilson getting permanent #10, #11 and #15 is a joke. If they earned them for 2011 that is fine, but permanent?
If Jlaw, Izzi or Ryan want their permanent number back they need to win a title.
DC
10/7/2010 7:45am
The numbers' policy comes from input from the riders and teams, and then three entities: Supercross, Motocross and the AMA proper. Most want to see the best riders with lowest numbers, which makes it easier for fans; some want permanent numbers for top riders, which also can make it easier for fans and it allows better merchandising opportunities for the riders. Weigh all that out, plus past policy -- Dowd's 16, Reedy's 22, BT's 101, Alessi's 800, etc. mean a lot to them -- and that's where we are right now.

It's a work in progress.

DC
MX Sports

The Shop

DC
10/7/2010 7:46am
SCIENCE, that was what we were kind of aiming for, but tis hard to see Windham lose his 14 at this stage of his career....

DC
MX Sports
Trip
10/7/2010 8:18am
You guys need to wake up. Riders changing numbers every year is a thing of the past, and should be left there. Everytime I hear how mx needs to move forward to get new fans, there is talk about taking steps backwards.

For the sport to grow, in my opinion you need to make it easy for the casual fan. Casual fan might know James as number 7, you change that every year how the hell is causal fan going to keep up? Hell, I am a fan and it takes me two or three races to figure out the new numbers every year.

Look at other sports, do they give out new numbers every year based on last years results? If it's such a great idea why doesn't the NFL, MLB, or the NBA do it? Plus who cares about how a rider did last year? Other than the number one plate, does it matter?

500guy
10/7/2010 8:27am
Just curious Trip, what Outdoor or GP did you attend ? Do you even know anything except what happens at Glen Helen on Practice day's ?
pie8man
10/7/2010 8:37am
The guys should all get to pick whatever number they want, order of selection earned by position. The number is there purely for fan identification of the rider.. What better way to identify them to have the same number every year?
Trip
10/7/2010 8:43am
500guy wrote:
Just curious Trip, what Outdoor or GP did you attend ? Do you even know anything except what happens at Glen Helen on Practice day's ?
Not one this year.

Just so were clear, you cannot have an opinion unless you go to a national or a gp?

BTW, I did go to plenty of amateur races. Sorry I couldn't make the GP or the national at Pala.

Yeah, why answer the question about numbers in other sports, turn it around and call me out... Typical of this place...
mb60
10/7/2010 8:43am Edited Date/Time 10/7/2010 8:44am
I don't see how they can give guys like Wilson and Brayton permanent numbers but make J Law switch from 338. Chances are he will never win a title on a big bike but 338 relates to him and his fans. Just another thing that gives MX/SX a look of not relating to the average fan.
downandup
10/7/2010 8:46am
TriP: football, baseball, etc don't need to change numbers because of multiple teams. Um, duh! That is a horrible analogy.

Why do you guys make such a big deal about the numbers? Why do the riders care so much? I can understand the merchandising perspective, but in a way, you might sell more stuff it you change the number year after year. It's just a number. When I used to race,, not pro mind you, whatever number was assigned to me I took. Who cares?

I know I'm different regarding this number idea, but I have never really understood this attachment to a mere number.
ando
10/7/2010 8:54am
downandup wrote:
TriP: football, baseball, etc don't need to change numbers because of multiple teams. Um, duh! That is a horrible analogy. Why do you guys make such...
TriP: football, baseball, etc don't need to change numbers because of multiple teams. Um, duh! That is a horrible analogy.

Why do you guys make such a big deal about the numbers? Why do the riders care so much? I can understand the merchandising perspective, but in a way, you might sell more stuff it you change the number year after year. It's just a number. When I used to race,, not pro mind you, whatever number was assigned to me I took. Who cares?

I know I'm different regarding this number idea, but I have never really understood this attachment to a mere number.
I agree with you and Trip 100%.

They are just numbers.

The comparison to those other sports is a valid one, in that the player numbers don't mean anything, they are just a way of identifying the player.
Trip
10/7/2010 8:56am
downandup wrote:
TriP: football, baseball, etc don't need to change numbers because of multiple teams. Um, duh! That is a horrible analogy. Why do you guys make such...

You said "Um duh" how old are you 12?

Are there not multiple teams in mx??? Can't a 250 guy and a 450 guy share a number? Chances are they will never race each other, right?

Michael Jordan and the number 23 go together, when you see the number 23 in basketball, you automatically go to Jordan.

When Manny came to the Dodgers he took 99, knowing what Gretzky did for LA hockey.

If I asked you what do you think of when I say the number 199 and mx in the same sentence, what name do you come up with???

Sports and numbers just go together. Kids on my baseball team, all fight for the number of their favorite player. Numbers may not mean a thing to you, but to most of the athletes in all sports, it means something.
rbm33
Fantasy
1947th
10/7/2010 9:01am
im with trip on this one, and deep down so is 500guy, or else he would have changed his number this year to 73 guy. Smile
Trip
10/7/2010 9:10am
Heath Voss is still number 13. How the hell is a casual fan ever going to figure out why he isn't up front??? 13 is really low number, yet dude probabley will not make all the mains.

So going back to this run what you earned bs, Chad Reed is 22, I think he will be near the box most races, but Voss may not make the main?? How the hell is casual fan going to relate to that? Instaed of making things easier to follow, they just made it more difficult. Hell Mike brown only races once a year. When the announcers are talking about the way the number system works in mx and how the lower the number the faster your supposed to be. Dude sitting on his couch notices after a few races there is no number 3 on the track, how the f does that make sense? Way to go AMA and MX Sports... Great job!!!
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
10/7/2010 9:16am
I think if you look over the number list, there are guys who have actually earned a permanent number, and there are guys who were requesting the same number year after year...in effect, giving them the appearance of having earned a permanent number.

There's a really big difference between the two.

Personally? I think if you want the appearance of bush league, it's top pro racers with a three-digit number.
Trip
10/7/2010 9:20am
GuyB wrote:
I think if you look over the number list, there are guys who have actually [i]earned[/i] a permanent number, and there are guys who were [i]requesting[/i]...
I think if you look over the number list, there are guys who have actually earned a permanent number, and there are guys who were requesting the same number year after year...in effect, giving them the appearance of having earned a permanent number.

Personally? I think if you want the appearance of bush league, it's top pro racers with a three-digit number.
Did you just call Alessi a bush leaguer??? HAHA... I always liked the guys with the three digits... Metty with his 125 was always one of my favs...

See Steve, your stuck thinking the old way.

AMA and MX Sports need some fresh ideas.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
10/7/2010 9:21am
Trip is just mad because he has to get new license plates now.
Trip
10/7/2010 9:22am Edited Date/Time 10/7/2010 9:23am
GrapeApe wrote:
Trip is just mad because he has to get new license plates now.
My registration is due in November, I don't think I'm paying an extra 40 bucks a year to keep em... So it doesn't matter to me about those. The joke was funny when it happend, now it's time has passed.. They will look cool hanging in the garage though...
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
10/7/2010 9:22am
I said appearance of bush league.

Metty...125? Okay...shows how much of an impression his 123 made on you...
500guy
10/7/2010 9:24am
500guy wrote:
Trip wrote:
Not one this year. Just so were clear, you cannot have an opinion unless you go to a national or a gp? BTW, I did go...
Not one this year.

Just so were clear, you cannot have an opinion unless you go to a national or a gp?

BTW, I did go to plenty of amateur races. Sorry I couldn't make the GP or the national at Pala.

Yeah, why answer the question about numbers in other sports, turn it around and call me out... Typical of this place...
You seem to call everyone out, Typical of you too.

I don't give a shit about numbers
Trip
10/7/2010 9:26am
GuyB wrote:
I said appearance of bush league.

Metty...125? Okay...shows how much of an impression his 123 made on you...
My bad, I was going to say when he was on a 125 with the 123 when everyone else was on 250f's. Midway through I had a brain fade... It happens....
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
10/7/2010 9:29am
Trip wrote:
My bad, I was going to say when he was on a 125 with the 123 when everyone else was on 250f's. Midway through I had...
My bad, I was going to say when he was on a 125 with the 123 when everyone else was on 250f's. Midway through I had a brain fade... It happens....
Sounds like you need some new thinking.
ando
10/7/2010 9:35am
You can shoot holes in any number system.

Any earned number system is meaningless to a spectator while it combines 250 and 450, MX and SX results.

And in 2010 we'll have at least one new national champion, and there's only one single digit number left. What if there's another new champion? What number does he get?

Under the "old" system, KW has never earned the right to run a permanent number.
MBBadgers
10/7/2010 9:40am Edited Date/Time 10/7/2010 9:41am
downandup wrote:

Attachments to a number is a given, haven't you had a favorite number you always used? When you see a certain number don't you relate it to something or someone you know of? When I see 4 I think of Ricky Carmichael, when I see 23 I think of Michael Jordan and when I see 99 I think of Wayne Gretzky. Number association is good, a rider should keep his same number on his bike and if he earns #1, put it on his jersey and/or helmet, but keep the bikes the same number.
Trip
10/7/2010 9:42am
Trip wrote:
My bad, I was going to say when he was on a 125 with the 123 when everyone else was on 250f's. Midway through I had...
GuyB wrote:
Sounds like you need some new thinking.
That's what happens when you type in a hurry... Here is my wall paper that I had on my old computer for about two years..

SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
10/7/2010 10:06am Edited Date/Time 10/7/2010 10:09am
GuyB wrote:
I think if you look over the number list, there are guys who have actually [i]earned[/i] a permanent number, and there are guys who were [i]requesting[/i]...

I personally think Pourcel looks cool running 377, as did Pastrana with 199, etc.....

I also think Stewart's 259 had a lot more "character" than plain ol' boring #7.

10/7/2010 10:09am
How can Hill run 75, Alessi can run 800, Townley 101, and Metcalfe 24 as career numbers but never won a championship, when Lawrence will run 54 after the 08 West Coast championship?

For some riders, mainly the ones who are mass marketed, career numbers make perfect sense. For more than 30 years Steve Kinser has run the number 11 in World Of Outlaws sprint car racing, and anyone who just casually follows the sport knows that when you see a number 11 at a WoO event, that it's Kinser. The idea for permanent numbers is great in theory, but needs some slight work.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
10/7/2010 10:12am
How can Hill run 75, Alessi can run 800, Townley 101, and Metcalfe 24 as career numbers but never won a championship, when Lawrence will run...
How can Hill run 75, Alessi can run 800, Townley 101, and Metcalfe 24 as career numbers but never won a championship, when Lawrence will run 54 after the 08 West Coast championship?

For some riders, mainly the ones who are mass marketed, career numbers make perfect sense. For more than 30 years Steve Kinser has run the number 11 in World Of Outlaws sprint car racing, and anyone who just casually follows the sport knows that when you see a number 11 at a WoO event, that it's Kinser. The idea for permanent numbers is great in theory, but needs some slight work.
Hill, Alessi, Townley and Metcalfe all finished in the top 10 in combined year end points and earned a career number.

Post a reply to: AMA making riders run assigned numbers

The Latest