AMA Pro Number system.

moto48
1/3/2010 12:24pm
i agree.

also, now that the #1 is required do we still need red backgrounds? i think it's ugly and we should drop it.
ocscottie
1/3/2010 12:42pm
moto48 wrote:
i agree.

also, now that the #1 is required do we still need red backgrounds? i think it's ugly and we should drop it.
Isnt it now the reigning champ runs the #1 plate, and the series points leader the red background?
jeffro503
1/3/2010 12:52pm
moto48 wrote:
i agree.

ocscottie wrote:
Isnt it now the reigning champ runs the #1 plate, and the series points leader the red background?
yeah...the current points leader is the one using the red back grounds. I think last summer in the nationals when RD and CP were tied in points in one round , they were both using the red back grounds at the same race.

The Shop

jeffro503
1/3/2010 12:53pm
Wait....i take that back........i think when James got the lead in the points last year in SX....Reed was still using the red back ground though......correct?
flarider
1/3/2010 12:54pm
Red back is points leader

Same as GP's
Alpine91290
1/3/2010 1:01pm
Umm, the red background thing was for outdoors. Reed ran a red #1 all last year for SX. I think it should be a red plate for whoever is leading the series just like outdoors, i liked that.
mxr102
1/3/2010 1:40pm
If I remember it right didn't they do this back in 83 or 84 and call it someting like the Grandnational Championship or something? I think they only did it one year but I think they should bring it back.
hoppsan
1/3/2010 1:58pm
Personally I think the red backgrounds look great (especially on the PC kawis) and they serve a purpose, at least outdoors. But what looks good and doesn't is just a personal opinion anyway.

As for career numbers, I don't see why you wouldn't want to allow them. It's an identifier, it's surely easier for the more casual fans to remember who's who that way. Yeah, it's easier to see who's supposed to run in about what position if numbers were handed out based upon previous season performance, but at the loss of a piece of the riders "brand". Just think of what TP has done with 199. The moment you see that freaking number on something you probably think of Pastrana, something he's used to his own benefit.

Anyway, I find the current system to be an excellent compromise. Last years winner running the 1 plate, and only people who do well enough get to pick career numbers, while the rest is ordered by previous years performance both in and outdoors.
moto48
1/4/2010 11:43am
moto48 wrote:
i agree.

ocscottie wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
yeah...the current points leader is the one using the red back grounds. I think last summer in the nationals when RD and CP were tied in...
yeah...the current points leader is the one using the red back grounds. I think last summer in the nationals when RD and CP were tied in points in one round , they were both using the red back grounds at the same race.
in 09 sx it was for the previous years champ but then in mx it was for the current points leader.

anyone know what way is it going to be in this years sx?

i like the mx rule for the background better because any idiot can connect the dots of the #1 plate.

TeamGreen
1/4/2010 11:52am
ocscottie wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
yeah...the current points leader is the one using the red back grounds. I think last summer in the nationals when RD and CP were tied in...
moto48 wrote:
in 09 sx it was for the previous years champ but then in mx it was for the current points leader. anyone know what way is...
in 09 sx it was for the previous years champ but then in mx it was for the current points leader.

anyone know what way is it going to be in this years sx?

i like the mx rule for the background better because any idiot can connect the dots of the #1 plate.

The 'Idiot Factor' is also the reason for letting riders "Earn" a Legacy Number...

You knew who number -2- was for all those years...and number -4- ...etc.

Now, you surely know who -7- is...right?

Then there's the "New 2".

The "New 5"...and the list goes on...
1/4/2010 12:05pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:47pm
Prior year combined sx & mx series finish and full sized side number plates. Just saying.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
1/4/2010 12:14pm
Permanent numbers are stupid, our sport is too small for anyone to have a permemanent number. Theres only two people with recognizable numbers, Pastrana and RC, and outside of motorsports neither of them are probably known well. As far as merchandising goes, does anyone really buy a Villopoto T-shirt just because it has a number 2 on it? If MX/SX was mainstream then by all means, have permanent, but until it gets big, it should be numbered the proper way.

Post a reply to: AMA Pro Number system.

The Latest