AMA Arenacross Series Interview of the Week: Oklahoma City Native and Reynard Mods Suzuki’s Robbie Reynard

PR
Edited Date/Time 1/17/2012 6:47pm
AMA Arenacross Series Interview of the Week:
Oklahoma City Native and Reynard Mods Suzuki’s Robbie Reynard

AURORA, Ill. (February 2, 2010) – The 2010 AMA Arenacross Series championship battle got a little bit tighter last Saturday night in Kansas City as points leader Tyler Bowers experienced his worst night of the season, finishing eighth after having his front brake line severed in the first turn of the main event. As a result, his Babbitt’s Monster Energy/TiLube Kawasaki teammate Josh Demuth went on to win his first race of the season while fellow teammate Chad Johnson took a significant chunk out of Bower’s double-digit advantage.

This weekend, the AMA Arenacross Series heads to Tulsa, Okla. and the BOK Center, the newest venue on the circuit. One of series’ most legendary riders, Robbie Reynard, will take particular pride in Saturday night’s race as the Oklahoma City native gets to compete in front of his family and friends.

Reynard is making a return to the AMA Arenacross Series in 2010 after spending time over in Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship. So far this season, Reynard has a best result of fourth and currently sits 11th in the standings. We caught up with the former series champion to talk about his return and get some insight into what the future holds for him.

Robbie, you spend some time racing Supercross but decided to return to the AMA Arenacross Series this season. What brought you back?

I came back for one (reason) because they had 450’s again. But more than anything I wanted to come back so I could just go out there and have some fun.

This weekend the series heads to Oklahoma, your home state. What is it going to be like to go back home and be able to race in front of your family and friends?

It’s going to be a blast, you know. Its definitely going to be a lot of fun. That’s the thing about arenacross. Its like you’re family with everybody there and we all have a great time. That’s why I went and raced this year, because I had so much fun in the past racing arenacross. Its even nicer having it close to home because I can drive to it. It’s only like an hour and a half.

How do you feel about your performances so far this year?

Well…I’m not happy. I’d be happy if I was winning but I’ve been getting faster each weekend. I didn’t put enough time into riding and stuff beforehand. I bought a race track and have been working on that quite a bit. I just kind of took some time out of training and riding. More the riding part I think because I’ve been getting arm pump like crazy and I think that’s because I haven’t been on a bike.

You mentioned the return of the 450s had an influence on brining you back. What do you think they’ve added to the competition this year?

I think for the teams more than anything its been bigger. It’s a little cheaper on the teams because they don’t have to do so much to the bikes to make them run good and keeping them up is a lot cheaper. For teams I think its just a lot easier on that part. I imagine some riders are having issues with the bigger bikes because they’re faster and its tight, but for me the more power the better. I’m one of those (riders) that’s a little bigger and in my opinion the 450 is a lot more fun than a 250F, but its hard to race against 140-pound riders when you’re 200 on a 250F (laughs).

Your team has been family-run and family-oriented for as long as anyone can remember. You and your dad have always had a great relationship. What has helped keep you’re team so strong?

You know, I don’t know. Me and my dad get along really well. Obviously you have to learn how to deal with some of the fathers at the races, but since he’s my father, I can’t yell at him (chuckles). But its good to have him there. He actually hasn’t gone to the last couple races because he was at home opening up the racetrack, having practice and playing on the tractor. But he hates it not to be at the races.

Now that you’ve bought a track and put so much effort into that, does that mean you’re looking towards the end of your career now and what you’re going to do once you’re done racing?

Yeah. Its definitely my future. Having a racetrack and making it to where I can actually train and teach kids. I’ve been doing that a little bit, working with kids on the racing and training and stuff like that. But its really enjoyable for me just as much as racing myself to see a kid go out and do well after working with them. It’s a neat thing.

How much longer do you see yourself going bar-to-bar?

You know what? I really don’t know. As long as I’m having fun. I plan on going to Tennessee (and Loretta Lynn’s) to compete in the over 30 class and having some fun with that. Whatever allows me to keep enjoy doing this, I’ll race as long as I can.

What would you like to achieve for the rest of the season in order to walk away happy with your season?

Well, I’d like to start by winning in Tulsa is my goal right now. Trey (Canard) said if he won this last weekend that I’d have to go win this weekend. So it looks like I need to go out there and win because he won last Saturday night.

Advance tickets are available for this weekend’s Tulsa Arenacross at the BOK Center Box Office, Ticketmaster charge by phone and ticketmaster.com. Tickets cost $2 more the day of the race.

Fans in attendance also can take part in the Track Party on Saturday from 5:30-6:30 p.m. for the chance to meet the riders and get autographs. Simply recycle any MONSTER ENERGY can at the gate entrance for FREE admission. Must have valid Saturday event ticket to enter.

Tickets for all rounds of the 2010 season can be purchased at www.ticketmaster.com and www.arenacross.com.

For more information on the AMA Arenacross Series log on to www.arenacross.com.
|

Post a reply to: AMA Arenacross Series Interview of the Week: Oklahoma City Native and Reynard Mods Suzuki’s Robbie Reynard

The Latest