ACL Post Surgery Questions and Advice

TerryB
5/1/2018 4:56pm
I walked immediately after surgery with a cane. Pain meds for 1 week and ditched the cane, then back to work at light duty/desk work. Lots of ice and elevation and self-massage. Friday will be 7 weeks post-surgery for me. I’m 53, so they went with a Cadaver graft, (mine are too old). I walk normally and am riding bicycle in a stationary trainer, (we just got rid of the snow and freezing temps). I have full range of motion but have a long way to go on strength and endurance. I walked 2 miles on Sunday, and that made it surprisingly sore and tired.

I’m in no hurry, and I hope to do some light off-road riding before Fall.
Solidkm
5/1/2018 5:14pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2018 5:15pm
With a career change and subsequent schooling. I was off the bike last two years pretty much. I had high hopes for this year. Going to be a struggle. Doesn’t help that I have a brand new 350 in the garage. I feel you guys tho on not rushing back. Just turned 31
TerryB
5/1/2018 5:19pm
mxbrian15 wrote:
4-5 months is pretty early. 6-9 months is typical. Sometimes longer. I’m at 10 months right now and am not ready to ride yet. Close, but...
4-5 months is pretty early. 6-9 months is typical. Sometimes longer. I’m at 10 months right now and am not ready to ride yet. Close, but my doctor, who is the knee surgeon for the Orlando Magic and UCF football team, also feels 12 months to get back riding is appropriate. This is also my second ACL on this leg though. Trust your doctor.
My guy works with the Vikings, and told me the same timeline. Too many push to be back too soon.

I was told that FULL symmetry in strength and conditioning is two-years, even in a trained athlete.
sandman768
7/15/2018 9:33am Edited Date/Time 7/15/2018 9:34am
I go in this Tuesday for ACL & bucket handle meniscus tear.....Had my other knee done 8 years ago....I know what I am heading into and I am totally bummed......injuries suck ....

The Shop

captmoto
7/15/2018 4:41pm
I had a knee replacement on 5-9. I've been 0+ on extension and 126 on flex for 3 weeks now but I am weak from favoring the leg. My doc is comfortable and confident in his work. I told my PT guy I wanted to be back on the bike at the end of August. He didn't say no so we will see.
I don't need no fooking ACL.
sandman768
9/5/2018 10:13am
I"m 7 weeks post op...working hard in PT and doing good. Some minor pain, but walking with almost no limp. Did a minor hike last weekend, riding road bicycle for 2 weeks now,. I have to say, the last few months have been some of the darkest months I have ever experienced...I miss racing & pounding out motos in the brutal heat of summer...we are in the middle of another heatwave here in the northeast....good time for a punishing road bike ride....
9/5/2018 12:23pm
sandman768 wrote:
I"m 7 weeks post op...working hard in PT and doing good. Some minor pain, but walking with almost no limp. Did a minor hike last weekend...
I"m 7 weeks post op...working hard in PT and doing good. Some minor pain, but walking with almost no limp. Did a minor hike last weekend, riding road bicycle for 2 weeks now,. I have to say, the last few months have been some of the darkest months I have ever experienced...I miss racing & pounding out motos in the brutal heat of summer...we are in the middle of another heatwave here in the northeast....good time for a punishing road bike ride....
PS, had mine done in December, be careful with jumping into walking/running too fast. I rushed into it and favored my surgery leg. This ended up causing me to put quite a bit of strain on my hips. Now when I run and bike my hips hurt for a few days. (mainly the opposite side of my knee surgery). Doc said it's from going to hard too quick, and to take it easy for a few months. It's getting better tho.

Knee feels better than ever tho!
Marty1028
Fantasy
994th
9/5/2018 12:59pm
Im getting my acl and meniscus repaired tomorrow. How long were you guys off work at a job where you have to stand on your feet all day?
9/5/2018 1:08pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2018 1:16pm
JJO741 wrote:
I just had my ACL reconstructed last Friday night. They took a 1/3 of the patellar and made that my new ACL. Unfortunately I'm still in...
I just had my ACL reconstructed last Friday night. They took a 1/3 of the patellar and made that my new ACL. Unfortunately I'm still in quite a bit of pain everytime I get up to go to the bathroom or get something to eat/drink. How long will this pain last usually? Any tips on what I should do while recovering? My doc told me to start putting weight on it yesterday, and to lift my leg to strengthen the quadricep. Any other help or tips are much appreciated. Thanks guys.
Dude im 10 days post Opp for ACL and meniscus, Most pain I ever had. Go to hospital to make sure you don't have a infection. Im normally very good at handing pain but this pain has been so insane. When you get up do you have a crazy rush of pain like fire down your leg. My leg got infected and they started treating it 5 days out but I feel I had the infection earlier
sandman768
9/5/2018 1:30pm
sandman768 wrote:
I"m 7 weeks post op...working hard in PT and doing good. Some minor pain, but walking with almost no limp. Did a minor hike last weekend...
PS, had mine done in December, be careful with jumping into walking/running too fast. I rushed into it and favored my surgery leg. This ended up...
PS, had mine done in December, be careful with jumping into walking/running too fast. I rushed into it and favored my surgery leg. This ended up causing me to put quite a bit of strain on my hips. Now when I run and bike my hips hurt for a few days. (mainly the opposite side of my knee surgery). Doc said it's from going to hard too quick, and to take it easy for a few months. It's getting better tho.

Knee feels better than ever tho!
This is my 2nd ACL surgery, had my other knee done 8 years ago...I know now to listen to my body, if it hurts, I back it down. I know running is part of the P/T protocol but, I won't run any more than I have to, I used to run a lot but donot run any longer, it's all low impact cardio for me. There are a lot of up & downs with the recovery process, 2 days ago both of my knees were killing me for some reason, today I felt great so I kayaked this morning & bicycled this afternoon. I agree with not rushing recovery, 6 months is 6 months no matter how hard you work....
sandman768
9/5/2018 1:32pm
Marty1028 wrote:
Im getting my acl and meniscus repaired tomorrow. How long were you guys off work at a job where you have to stand on your feet...
Im getting my acl and meniscus repaired tomorrow. How long were you guys off work at a job where you have to stand on your feet all day?
Minimum 4 weeks, maybe more if you have a physical job. I had a desk job when I had mine done 8 years ago, I went back to work in 2 weeks, had to get out of the house!
9/5/2018 7:48pm
Marty1028 wrote:
Im getting my acl and meniscus repaired tomorrow. How long were you guys off work at a job where you have to stand on your feet...
I was off for 2 months, doc wanted me off another month but I felt good and wanted to go back.
9/6/2018 12:57am
I had my ACL and meniscus done at the same time, I was walking without crutches after a week.

MY BIGGEST ADVICE: don’t get over confident and get lazy with physio.. I did and my range of motion and flexibility didn’t come back as I expected. It then took a very long time of stretching afterwards to be able to crouch down fully, i was 29 and figured it would just go back to normal like my other injuries.
Marty1028
Fantasy
994th
9/7/2018 6:22am Edited Date/Time 9/7/2018 6:23am
i just got out of surgery about 12 hours ago, man this sucks balls, my pain has been a constant 7 throughout and the doc says im lucky to even be walking when i came in because the meniscus was so bad. In the photos my doc didnt even know what any of it was because the meinscus was so screwed up.

sandman768
9/7/2018 2:52pm
First few weeks suck hard.....it will get better...
tk2stroke
9/7/2018 10:28pm
ACL surgery (Cadaver) on August 4th and strangely I had zero pain 48 hours after surgery and came off my meds after 48 hours as well. I did go back the day after for an additional 24 hour nerve block to avoid what I assumed was going to be high level pain experience. I'm a wuss when it comes to pain tolerance, but for whatever lucky reason I literally had no pain whatsoever, just the normal stiffness.

I was hobbling around without crutches after 3 days, heavy limp on week 2, and then by week 5 (this week) started walking very normally just a bit slower and more deliberate. If I had a job where I had to standup all day, I could have been able to do so at week 4 but it would have been a challenge, and now in week 5 it would be much easier.

Today I finally hit zero on extension and flexion has been 120+ for about 2 weeks. While it was discouraged by my PT and Dr. for the consequence of falling, I began riding my mountain bike last week (week 4) doing two mile long steep road climbs in 1st gear in my neighborhood. I gained 8 lbs since surgery and was getting more miserable each day and I figured I need to start losing the calories to avoid having to reset my sag.

Another moto bud of mine had ACL surgery on April 1st and he got back on the bike and vet track last week. He said his knee feels strong and his Dr. while not fully supporting his decision, he also wasn't adamant telling him not to and only to be careful. I'm actually glad 5-6 months will take me into December and January into the off season to prevent me from rushing back onto the bike, something I know I would do if it was during riding season.
tk2stroke
9/7/2018 10:34pm
Dude im 10 days post Opp for ACL and meniscus, Most pain I ever had. Go to hospital to make sure you don't have a infection...
Dude im 10 days post Opp for ACL and meniscus, Most pain I ever had. Go to hospital to make sure you don't have a infection. Im normally very good at handing pain but this pain has been so insane. When you get up do you have a crazy rush of pain like fire down your leg. My leg got infected and they started treating it 5 days out but I feel I had the infection earlier
Infections suck, best of luck for a speedy recovery

Post a reply to: ACL Post Surgery Questions and Advice

The Latest