AC222 according to Paolo Martin

Aryen
12/24/2014 12:11pm Edited Date/Time 12/30/2014 9:18am
|
jeffro503
12/24/2014 12:20pm
I read that......but it never really mentions what AC222 actually said. I mean what were his " Negative comments " (AC222 ) the author was speaking about?

For the record I haven't seen the film yet. Anyone have a link to it?
ML512
Fantasy
36th
12/24/2014 12:28pm Edited Date/Time 12/24/2014 12:28pm
I don't know the infrastructure of the GP teams like I do the US teams., but I'm going to say that Paolo Martin is Martin Honda?
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
12/24/2014 12:30pm
ML512 wrote:
I don't know the infrastructure of the GP teams like I do the US teams., but I'm going to say that Paolo Martin is Martin Honda?
Correct,
bdub
12/24/2014 12:32pm
Sounds bitter, justified or not, too bad.

The Shop

Aryen
12/24/2014 12:40pm
ML512 wrote:
scott_nz wrote:
Correct,
Former team owner Honda Martin, now team director at HRC.
jeffro503
12/24/2014 12:42pm
So what did AC222 say then? Did he say that he wasn't happy or something like that while he raced for Martin? Just not clear on what made Mr Martin so upset.
Aryen
12/24/2014 12:49pm
jeffro503 wrote:
So what did AC222 say then? Did he say that he wasn't happy or something like that while he raced for Martin? Just not clear on...
So what did AC222 say then? Did he say that he wasn't happy or something like that while he raced for Martin? Just not clear on what made Mr Martin so upset.
Martin says he was more than happy to do an hour long interview for the AC movie and that he's disappointed that only his comment that AC had startup problems and had some personal issues with team members ended up in the movie.
jeffro503
12/24/2014 12:59pm
jeffro503 wrote:
So what did AC222 say then? Did he say that he wasn't happy or something like that while he raced for Martin? Just not clear on...
Aryen wrote:
Martin says he was more than happy to do an hour long interview for the AC movie and that he's disappointed that only his comment that...
Martin says he was more than happy to do an hour long interview for the AC movie and that he's disappointed that only his comment that AC had startup problems and had some personal issues with team members ended up in the movie.
OH!! I get it now.
bvm111
12/24/2014 2:16pm
interesting....
Bearuno
12/24/2014 7:05pm Edited Date/Time 12/24/2014 7:07pm
I got my copy on Xmas Eve.

Good video, if, at only 1 hour, too short for me.

I didn't expect much along the lines of racing - fair enough, his title chases have been well documented, and I have all his championship seasons on DVD.

Martin bitching about only a few minutes of an hour long interview that he granted to the makers of the film?: Welcome to the real world, Paolo, where you are not that important away from your long standing heights with Honda / your team.

As an example of how time constraints can 'limit' things, ACs early riding with mini bikes, even missed out on him having to use the same CR80 /85 for 3 seasons - though, they did make note of him using the same helmet for 3 seasons - much has been pared down / skipped in this DVD, which is a bummer.

AC is so far removed from the usual, modern, groomed and cosseted junior factory star, it's not funny. He harks back to a far earlier era of champions.

I wish they would have shown far more about his relationship with Claudio Di Carli, And Claudio's career in the GPs - now there's an epic story, and DeCarli truly is a talented former racer, and race engineer. He has often been described as ACs 2nd Papa. He also , apparently, or his building company / contacts, built Antonio's magnificent new home that they show briefly in the DVD.

HIs long time girlfriend Jill Cox gets interviewed a fair bit in the DVD - well deserved, as they are a great 'team'. I - amongst many thousands, of course - have met her a few times at GPs and the MXDNs, and to have her recognize me with a cheery "Orso" - Bear in Italian, - between years, has made my day, a couple of times. How she does that, I do not know, but she is a delightful , clever,young woman - far beyond the typical "trophy wife' that so many top sportsmen seem to end up with..

But hell, they didn't just deliver a hagiography about AC - they showed him laying the boot into Davide Guarnieri when he had a meltdown, so they didn't sugar coat AC having been a bit 'wrong', at one time.

Marc DeReuver was a good addition to the DVD - he's a clever, articulate and funny bloke - one of the great riders and raconteurs of the GPs, who has always spoken his mind.

It would have been better served up as a 2 hour , or more video, and more could have been put in about his Martin years - it may have put Paolo / his team in a better light - it may not have. As it was, I just saw a bloke, and those who cared for him, passing comments on what they saw as a difficult time for him.

Ask Jimmy Albertson about Martins treatment of riders they deem to be 'lesser'. Matthes'Pulp MX archives will have an interview with JA that covers it - perhaps that was what brought out the Ronnie Mac hidden within him............?Though, everything I've heard about that, comes purely from Jimmy's perspective - there's always different viewpoints.

Paolo would have been better off just taking it on the chin - it's mainly a comment from a Cairoli family friend about him that is , perhaps harsh, but, perhaps justified. AC is a much, much loved and respected bloke, throughout the GP series. Paolo, will come out looking bad, going up against AC. Cripes, Martin can't even get the cessation of Honda's 2t production right - he's out by 5 years. Doesn't give a good indication about his ability to recall things well / correctly

Once again, a good DVD, but I really wanted so much more, as it seems to just brush over a long, successful career. Not all of us have short attention spans, all of you film producers. And, much more about his Dad / Mum and sisters ( though, he is a very private person, and, like anyone, has the right to limit family exposure). would have been good. I had no idea that his mum was diagnosed with cancer in 2007, and was only aware of her illness just prior to the last few rounds / the MXDN in 2011. It was the first time I'd seen much of his beloved Momma - it was good to see something of her. His dad, Benedetto's, death this year, was another massive blow he came through.

Paolo Martin would have been better off to have kept his complaints to a simple minimum.
12/26/2014 12:16pm Edited Date/Time 12/26/2014 12:17pm
Paolo Martin is also known in the GPs' paddock for the long list of money issues he had with a lot of riders, including the best ones he used to work with...
davistld01
12/26/2014 12:44pm
You know...the movie was about Antonio Cairoli, not Paolo Martin. I understand a little of why Martin is butt hurt about not being mentioned any more than he was, but it isn't like AC slammed him or anything...he chose not to say much about what might have been a very negative experience through Cairoli's eyes, and he just didn't want to burn any bridges. I don't know. Sometimes it's better to say nothing than to say something bad about someone.
markit
12/30/2014 6:33am
Look the guy works for honda WGAF
12/30/2014 6:51am
Sounds like someone has sour crêpes.
12/30/2014 9:18am
Martin has decided he is very important now as he has all HRC money........................

Before in Europe, Honda was all 'show' and no Go!

Post a reply to: AC222 according to Paolo Martin

The Latest