A week until the Mini O's....

kijen
11/17/2014 11:29am
huck wrote:
In my opinion...if one child dies at this race....that is one too many! I guess you see it differently....

I see it as bad things happen everywhere. We try our best to prevent it from the parents teaching a kid proper techniques on a bike...
I see it as bad things happen everywhere.
We try our best to prevent it from the parents teaching a kid proper techniques on a bike to the track owner making sure they have medics, but terrible things will still happen.

They will happen in cars, schools, school buses, college, homes, pools, family ranches and everywhere in between. We don't get rid of these things because they have more value for children than they do negatives. This sport helps far more than it hurts, but I don't see most of you praising it for the good it does.

If this sport is so horrible, maybe some of you should stop posting here and leave it alone for the people actually trying to make it safer, and better while also making sure it stays around so kids can grow up doing something almost magical.
huck wrote:
So what, in reality, has been done to make the sport for the little guys "safer"...let alone "magical".... Oh, I know...we've made the motorcycles faster. That's...
So what, in reality, has been done to make the sport for the little guys "safer"...let alone "magical"....

Oh, I know...we've made the motorcycles faster. That's it....

No, it's gotta be that we've put pressure on kids at a very young age to WIN.... That's gotta be it...

No, it's that the factories give stuff to kids that finish higher, so they risk more to get 'free stuff'... Yep, that's it.....

No, it's probably making the tracks faster, with bigger jumps....
Actually, gatorback changed the track up considerably. And with the thousand of racers, it is a pretty safe track. I've seen the same injuries on weekend play rides....yeah it is a dangerous hobby regardless of speed. Never gonna change that. Of course you may want to save us from ourselves?
huck
11/17/2014 11:37am
I see it as bad things happen everywhere. We try our best to prevent it from the parents teaching a kid proper techniques on a bike...
I see it as bad things happen everywhere.
We try our best to prevent it from the parents teaching a kid proper techniques on a bike to the track owner making sure they have medics, but terrible things will still happen.

They will happen in cars, schools, school buses, college, homes, pools, family ranches and everywhere in between. We don't get rid of these things because they have more value for children than they do negatives. This sport helps far more than it hurts, but I don't see most of you praising it for the good it does.

If this sport is so horrible, maybe some of you should stop posting here and leave it alone for the people actually trying to make it safer, and better while also making sure it stays around so kids can grow up doing something almost magical.
huck wrote:
So what, in reality, has been done to make the sport for the little guys "safer"...let alone "magical".... Oh, I know...we've made the motorcycles faster. That's...
So what, in reality, has been done to make the sport for the little guys "safer"...let alone "magical"....

Oh, I know...we've made the motorcycles faster. That's it....

No, it's gotta be that we've put pressure on kids at a very young age to WIN.... That's gotta be it...

No, it's that the factories give stuff to kids that finish higher, so they risk more to get 'free stuff'... Yep, that's it.....

No, it's probably making the tracks faster, with bigger jumps....
kijen wrote:
Actually, gatorback changed the track up considerably. And with the thousand of racers, it is a pretty safe track. I've seen the same injuries on weekend...
Actually, gatorback changed the track up considerably. And with the thousand of racers, it is a pretty safe track. I've seen the same injuries on weekend play rides....yeah it is a dangerous hobby regardless of speed. Never gonna change that. Of course you may want to save us from ourselves?
Nah, I don't give a shit about you...just the younger kids that aren't old enough to make good decision. If an adult makes a poor decision, he/she will have to live (or die) with that choice... no child should be in that situation.

Rizzo
11/17/2014 12:42pm Edited Date/Time 11/17/2014 12:43pm
nytsmaC wrote:
Doesn't sound like you're a racing fan.
huck wrote:
Why not, because I hope that some kids don't die next week... What a dick I am....
nytsmaC wrote:
I understand that, but you can't blame events like the Mini O's for asshole parents pressuring their kids into riding out of their comfort zone, fast/talented...
I understand that, but you can't blame events like the Mini O's for asshole parents pressuring their kids into riding out of their comfort zone, fast/talented kids getting extra support/sponsorship, or serious injuries (or death) occuring. These things happen in every sport, at every level. I'm not sure what your beef is here, other than to be a stick in the mud.
Right here, nail on the head. I took my 5yr old to a BMX national in our back yard. Had never been to one before, only local track. We are in practice and I tell my son, be safe, have fun, learn the track, don't over do it. The 1st gate drop, he goes around track and gets back in line with me and probably 200 other kids. We are talking about the track, did he have fun, are you cool riding here, etc, etc, but guy in front of me, HELL NO! He has his son by the face mask mother effing him with "why the eff are we here" and " why did we drive all the way out here" and "look how much money I spent on you" all that mini dad shit, cuz his son let a few kids by in practice. (insert Allen Iverson) I was mad and embarrassed and sad.

Unfortunately, it happens in many sports at many levels, its usually the parents that push that hard and the sport is forced to advance. What if MX amateur nationals were an oval track with two rollers on each side until kids were 10 yr old, imagine the complaints. People will take their $$$ and their kids elsewhere till they get what they want and there will always be someone willing to up the ante to give it to them. I can appreciate the passion and concern, but what can you do when parents demand "more" and are willing to risk their kids?
shuggs
11/17/2014 12:57pm
Uncle Tony wrote:
I'm with you on this one huck
And me, would it be so bad if jumps were smaller, no triples etc but add in some hard off cambers ( and any other ground level obstacle but not whoops!!!)to build the skill level up.

The Shop

visser62
11/17/2014 1:25pm
This all just started with Huck saying he hopes everyone is safe this year, and somehow he's a negative asshole who hates motocross?
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
11/17/2014 1:39pm
huck wrote:
In my opinion...if one child dies at this race....that is one too many! I guess you see it differently....

I agree with the sentiment, but not the delivery method.

You're about three deep (at this point) of being "That guy."
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
11/17/2014 1:47pm
I can't wait to have a kid so Huck can be our life coach. Or maybe he'll just post general insight on the internet for us!
huck
11/17/2014 2:45pm
visser62 wrote:
This all just started with Huck saying he hopes everyone is safe this year, and somehow he's a negative asshole who hates motocross?
Yep, I'm a 3 deep asshole, I guess.....

huck
11/17/2014 2:46pm
seth505 wrote:
I can't wait to have a kid so Huck can be our life coach. Or maybe he'll just post general insight on the internet for us!
Where did I try and be anybody's 'life coach'? I said I hope all the kids are safe at the Mini O's next week...and said I that think there are too many injuries with little kids.... if you don't agree with that, maybe I'm not the asshole....
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
11/17/2014 3:00pm Edited Date/Time 11/17/2014 3:01pm
seth505 wrote:
huck wrote:
Where did I try and be anybody's 'life coach'? I said I hope all the kids are safe at the Mini O's next week...and said I...
Where did I try and be anybody's 'life coach'? I said I hope all the kids are safe at the Mini O's next week...and said I that think there are too many injuries with little kids.... if you don't agree with that, maybe I'm not the asshole....
I dunno man, you start a post about hoping a race ends with "good reports" then get into tracks and parents pushing kids. Just start an off topic post that you think most parents are idiots (I'd agree) if that's what it is going to end up being.
huck
11/17/2014 3:23pm
seth505 wrote:
huck wrote:
Where did I try and be anybody's 'life coach'? I said I hope all the kids are safe at the Mini O's next week...and said I...
seth505 wrote:
I dunno man, you start a post about hoping a race ends with "good reports" then get into tracks and parents pushing kids. Just start an...
I dunno man, you start a post about hoping a race ends with "good reports" then get into tracks and parents pushing kids. Just start an off topic post that you think most parents are idiots (I'd agree) if that's what it is going to end up being.
To clear things up.

1. I hope all the kids are ok at mini o's
2. I think tracks are too dangerous for kids
3. I think some parents push kids too much and endanger them
4. I think businesses giving kids performance based product is wrong
5. I don't hate mx
6. I don't know what "3 deep" and "that guy" means
7. These are all my opinions, if that's frowned upon, I apologize (not really)
slipdog
11/17/2014 7:10pm Edited Date/Time 11/17/2014 7:11pm
"3 deep" was the term we used to describe the girl in high school that everyone wanted to take to a party, but nobody wanted to take her to prom...
huck
11/17/2014 7:30pm
slipdog wrote:
"3 deep" was the term we used to describe the girl in high school that everyone wanted to take to a party, but nobody wanted to...
"3 deep" was the term we used to describe the girl in high school that everyone wanted to take to a party, but nobody wanted to take her to prom...
2 in the pink, 1 in the stink.... 3 deep....
jeffro503
11/17/2014 9:40pm
OK Huck....so you've given your words on the complaining part of it........if it was up to you...and you had the power to change things. What would you do? If you had the power to implement changes in this sport........what?

How would you change the competitive spirit inside everyone? Because unless you change that....you can't remove the danger in it. A competitor will challenge himself to push beyond the comfort zone to be better than his competitors.

Serious question....what would you do?
huck
11/18/2014 5:59am
jeffro503 wrote:
OK Huck....so you've given your words on the complaining part of it........if it was up to you...and you had the power to change things. What would...
OK Huck....so you've given your words on the complaining part of it........if it was up to you...and you had the power to change things. What would you do? If you had the power to implement changes in this sport........what?

How would you change the competitive spirit inside everyone? Because unless you change that....you can't remove the danger in it. A competitor will challenge himself to push beyond the comfort zone to be better than his competitors.

Since you asked....these are my OPINIONS...

1. Make it mandatory that youth (under 16) have health insurance.
2. No support from factories or other companies to any riders that are non-pro....amateur.
3. Only 2 classes can be raced at an event.
4. limit the size and number of jumps, especially double and triples.
5. And in a perfect world, make the motorcycles slower. Those kids at the MEC jumping the same jumps that the 450s jump, on super minis is insane.
h&m_cycle
11/18/2014 6:18am
O___o wrote:
huck likes to suck the "fun" out of the "room"...
don't listen to anyone who only raced for plastic trophies
peelout
11/18/2014 9:47am
slipdog wrote:
"3 deep" was the term we used to describe the girl in high school that everyone wanted to take to a party, but nobody wanted to...
3 deep as in 3 beers deep? i'm randomly hooking up with this chick that i only get hold of after i've had a few, i've never once considered asking her out or to hang when i'm sober. she's usually my go to when i need a ride home from the bar or if it's late and i'm faded.

good times, bro
Tracktor
11/18/2014 11:34am
jeffro503 wrote:
OK Huck....so you've given your words on the complaining part of it........if it was up to you...and you had the power to change things. What would...

huck wrote:
Since you asked....these are my OPINIONS... 1. Make it mandatory that youth (under 16) have health insurance. 2. No support from factories or other companies to...

2. No support from factories or other companies to any riders that are non-pro....amateur.
5. And in a perfect world, make the motorcycles slower. Those kids at the MEC jumping the same jumps that the 450s jump, on super minis is insane.
While I agree with the health insurance issue it wouldn't save anyone from being injured? And most of those changes would probably have little to know effect on injuries. Frankly, it all comes down to personal responsibility more than anything. The best thing would be for someone to track injuries/deaths (as morbid as it sounds) and see if there is a common denominator. Until then you and everyone else is pretty much talking out our collective asses.......My older boy hits huge jumps all the time on his supermini but one of his worst injuries was screwing around on a KLX110..........
hvaughn88
11/18/2014 12:03pm
jeffro503 wrote:

huck wrote:
Since you asked....these are my OPINIONS... 1. Make it mandatory that youth (under 16) have health insurance. 2. No support from factories or other companies to...

Tracktor wrote:
While I agree with the health insurance issue it wouldn't save anyone from being injured? And most of those changes would probably have little to know...
While I agree with the health insurance issue it wouldn't save anyone from being injured? And most of those changes would probably have little to know effect on injuries. Frankly, it all comes down to personal responsibility more than anything. The best thing would be for someone to track injuries/deaths (as morbid as it sounds) and see if there is a common denominator. Until then you and everyone else is pretty much talking out our collective asses.......My older boy hits huge jumps all the time on his supermini but one of his worst injuries was screwing around on a KLX110..........
I get what you're saying, but it reminds me of another expression I've heard that's along the lines of "sure, you can drown in a coffee mug, but you're chances of drowning are greater in the ocean."

Post a reply to: A week until the Mini O's....

The Latest