A little advice on a 14 YZ450F

Squishy
Edited Date/Time 8/24/2015 3:25pm
On my bike the front end is pushing in corners and not staying planted well... Suspension has been done twice and still no luck... Anyone else had similar issues and what did you do to help it? I am considering trying the DR D Engine relocation kit to adjust weight distribution. Would triple clamps help?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. ~ Roger
|
loftyair
8/23/2015 6:16pm
Dr d engine relocation kit and radiator lowering kit makes it work!
moore433
8/23/2015 6:20pm
Try what loftyair suggested and if that doesn't make it good enough get some new triple clamps with less offset. My honda had 24 mm offset clamps and it felt ok in the turns, then I got some RG3 20 mm clamps and it was awesome in the turns after that !!!
Cygnus
8/23/2015 6:24pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2015 6:24pm
Have you raised the forks in the clamps as far as possible? Tire selection?
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
8/23/2015 6:28pm
Make sure you're not running too much sag in the shock.

The Shop

Squishy
8/23/2015 6:29pm
Cygnus wrote:
Have you raised the forks in the clamps as far as possible? Tire selection?
We have tried moving the forks up and down in the clamps as well as a few different tires; MX32, 52 and Pirelli... Same results with all tires and adjustments. Aside from that the bike handles well, but the cornering right now is the down fall. Thanks for the replies, I am looking into the radiator lowering kit. ~ Roger
Cygnus
8/23/2015 6:35pm
Sounds like you need the stuff mentioned above. Good luck!
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
8/23/2015 6:40pm
Just curious, how far up to you sit on the seat while cornering? Once I added taller bars and was able to move forward more on the bike the pushing went away(I'm 6'2 and 195lbs so I needed the extra space and leverage), even with the shitty stock MX51 front tire. Unfortunately I haven't been able to ride with other tires on it yet due to a back injury that's kept me from riding for a year now. But good luck and hopefully you get the issue figured out soon. I love my 14 Yz450, never been more comfortable on a 450 before
Ryno23
Fantasy
891st
8/23/2015 6:47pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Just curious, how far up to you sit on the seat while cornering? Once I added taller bars and was able to move forward more on...
Just curious, how far up to you sit on the seat while cornering? Once I added taller bars and was able to move forward more on the bike the pushing went away(I'm 6'2 and 195lbs so I needed the extra space and leverage), even with the shitty stock MX51 front tire. Unfortunately I haven't been able to ride with other tires on it yet due to a back injury that's kept me from riding for a year now. But good luck and hopefully you get the issue figured out soon. I love my 14 Yz450, never been more comfortable on a 450 before
This ^^^^

I've got a 14yz450. After getting my suspension finally dialed right for me, getting forward on the bike is the biggest help in turning it. With the bike's weight being further back you really have to get forward on it to give the tire some bite. I'm 6'1" at 175 lb. So a bit taller bar mount to get forward more helped a lot.
Jrewing
8/23/2015 7:53pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Just curious, how far up to you sit on the seat while cornering? Once I added taller bars and was able to move forward more on...
Ryno23 wrote:
This ^^^^ I've got a 14yz450. After getting my suspension finally dialed right for me, getting forward on the bike is the biggest help in turning...
This ^^^^

I've got a 14yz450. After getting my suspension finally dialed right for me, getting forward on the bike is the biggest help in turning it. With the bike's weight being further back you really have to get forward on it to give the tire some bite. I'm 6'1" at 175 lb. So a bit taller bar mount to get forward more helped a lot.
These guys know how to..
loftyair
8/23/2015 7:56pm
Wait, going taller in the front helps you get more weight up there? Wow....Lower bars gets more weight up there, at least on this planet.
MMCDan
8/23/2015 8:43pm
How long have you been riding it? Are you transitioning from another brand? It took me a few weeks to get used to the first reverse engine Yamaha I owned and even after owning several 10 - 13 and 14/15's I still need a week or so to adjust when transitioning back from another brand.

As stated above, tire selection and good suspension setup made the most difference to me. Also, not paying attention to non-Yamaha riders/magazines saying it pushes in corners was a good first step.

Calhoun117
8/23/2015 8:56pm
MMCDan wrote:
How long have you been riding it? Are you transitioning from another brand? It took me a few weeks to get used to the first reverse...
How long have you been riding it? Are you transitioning from another brand? It took me a few weeks to get used to the first reverse engine Yamaha I owned and even after owning several 10 - 13 and 14/15's I still need a week or so to adjust when transitioning back from another brand.

As stated above, tire selection and good suspension setup made the most difference to me. Also, not paying attention to non-Yamaha riders/magazines saying it pushes in corners was a good first step.

The last thing you mentioned couldn't be more true. Its amazing how much confidence is a factor in riding a bike. If you go into a bike already having a pre disposed notion that the bike will push in corners your probably going to be pushing in corners because that's what you have in your head. If you are thinking to yourself that this bike is the best cornering bike on the planet your going to corner better. Confidence and your thoughts play a much bigger role in ridding and in life then people think. Take placebos and "blind" product testing for examples. I'm not saying that there isn't things you can do to make the bike corner better, and I'm not saying that the bike doesn't have a cornering problem. But those problems can be highly exaggerated by your thought process and confidence, by taking a small problem and making it a huge problem. Try the rad lowering kit and engine relocation if you'd like. I'm betting that the actual difference of weight transfer is very minor with the kits and does help with the stability in corners, but making those adjustments also is a mental thing
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
8/23/2015 10:11pm
loftyair wrote:
Wait, going taller in the front helps you get more weight up there? Wow....Lower bars gets more weight up there, at least on this planet.
Actually the taller bars opened everything up for me so I was able to get up further in corners. So it wasn't the taller bars "got more weight" up there, they allowed me to get further forward to put my weight up there. But thanks for trying to be an asshole and make us look stupid.
chuckie108
8/23/2015 10:31pm
I love my '14 YZ450. All things mentioned here are sound advice. I think the biggest thing about the YZ is it just feals and rides different than the other bikes. Not necessarily better or worse, just different. Which makes sense as the rest are basically clones of each other, while the YZ has its own unique architecture. So I think getting time on it is a big help. That being said, I thought the bike felt tall in the rear and loose in the middle of corners. I also struggled with the power in some corners. I felt in just certain situations, it would hit very hard and upset the bike. Here's what I did and my take on the result. Suspension revalve by RG3- better everywhere. MX32 front- good bight and lasts too. Don't run the pressure too low. I go 13-13.5. Test this out though as everyone's gauge is different. PC Longer link- lowered the back and made it feel more balanced. I run my sag about 105 and forks 5-7 miles above the clamps. '15 ECU- makes the power a lot smoother and easier to ride(still fast as hell). 20mm Ride eng clamps- Helps the front end feel more planted and also helps mid corner. Straighter bar- I feel the stock bar has too much sweep. Also helps you stay on the front of the bike. Cycra shrouds- slightly thinner so gives a better feel. Thats what I did and my bike feels dialed. Hope that helps.
8/23/2015 10:47pm
Being 6'2 I thought the tall bar was the go, unfortunately for me, an old school rider, the high bars caused my bike to be awkward and hard to turn,

Eventually I found flatter standard height bars, these suited me better, they pulled me further forward, the bike turned easier for me, with less pushing in the corners.

Remember I am old school and I don't ride over the front like modern riders.
MotoMo165
8/23/2015 11:21pm
loftyair wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Actually the taller bars opened everything up for me so I was able to get up further in corners. So it wasn't the taller bars "got...
Actually the taller bars opened everything up for me so I was able to get up further in corners. So it wasn't the taller bars "got more weight" up there, they allowed me to get further forward to put my weight up there. But thanks for trying to be an asshole and make us look stupid.
yeah he made himself look like a douchebag and a goon at the same time Grinning
cwtoyota
8/23/2015 11:42pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2015 11:43pm
Squishy wrote:
On my bike the front end is pushing in corners and not staying planted well... Suspension has been done twice and still no luck... Anyone else...
On my bike the front end is pushing in corners and not staying planted well... Suspension has been done twice and still no luck... Anyone else had similar issues and what did you do to help it? I am considering trying the DR D Engine relocation kit to adjust weight distribution. Would triple clamps help?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. ~ Roger
I picked up my '14 YZ450F about three weeks ago. I rode it 100% stock with 105mm and 107mm sag... It was among the worst handling bikes I've ever been on.

First, I'll say that I'm a 160 lbs Intermediate. This is my first four stroke motorcycle of any kind. I spend most of my time racing a YZ125 in the 30+ and 25+ classes.

I moved the forks up in the clamps as others have mentioned. I tested with 5mm fork height to start with. The groove in the fork tube aligned with the top edge of the upper clamp is the 5mm setting. I felt like that was a bit too much for this chassis, so I ended up with the groove just below the upper clamp. My dial caliper says 4.1mm.

Next I played around with the clickers. The high speed damping on the shock works well at 2 turns out. That was the MXA recommendation in their test, and it works well.

This week I installed a 143.5mm linkage (the stock linkage is 142mm). That worked out really well with around 105mm of sag, but I felt the bike wandering a bit mid corner. The solution for that wandering front end was a little counter-intuitive. I actually raised the rear end by reducing sag (more shock spring preload). I am right around 103mm to 104mm of sag at this point and the bike works really well. Raising the rear allowed me to sit a little farther back (more central on the bike) to initiate a turn. Once in the turn, I was central and the forks weren't under as much of my weight, so the front end rebounds a bit more at apex and the bike goes pretty smooth through the corners.

The valving is a bit slow for me, so the bike still feels like it has about 2% less traction than my buddy's '13 Kawi (with Showa A-Kit suspension), but I rode them back to back today and felt really confident on the YZ450F for the first time.

The engine is really gnarly, it makes that stock '13 Kawi 450 feel like a 250F. If you don't have good throttle control, the YZ450F will unsettle a bit in corners. I have a GYTR tuner coming in this week, so I'll play with some smoother maps. I hear the Travis Preston map is a great all-around setting.

Here are a few laps from today, riding the YZ450F and the KX450F I mentioned above:

cwtoyota
8/23/2015 11:57pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Ryno23 wrote:
This ^^^^ I've got a 14yz450. After getting my suspension finally dialed right for me, getting forward on the bike is the biggest help in turning...
This ^^^^

I have to agree with you guys, I move around a ton when I ride and that seems to be a good thing on most YZ's.

Also, don't be afraid to mess around with the sag on this bike. Start at 105mm and try adjusting about 1/2 of a turn on the preload nut at a time, then go ride it. Try more pre-load, then try less. Find your sweet spot. Each full turn of the preload nut on most modern bikes works out to around 3mm of change in your race-sag.

Don't get caught up in the actual sag numbers, just use the 103 - 107 range as a starting point and adjust it by how it feels. When you get it where you like it, take several measurements, average them and write it down.

In my opinion, this YZ450F chassis is fairly sensitive to chassis setup.
Squishy
8/24/2015 8:31am
Guys,

Thank you very much for the input and advice. I will give these things a try this weekend when I am able to get back on the bike.

If you are at Thunder Valley this weekend, stop by and say hello. Kiana will be racing the adaptive race on Sunday.

~ Roger
k-bull98
8/24/2015 8:56am
I run mine with Factory connection re-valve with a little less than 5mm fork height and running factory connection's rear linkage with about 105mm of sag. This has worked really well for me. Another thing I tried is updating your front motor mounts from the '14 to '15 as they are interchangeable. I would say they do give a slightly different feel, but I wouldn't say better or worse (the new motor mounts cost $10 and I installed them in between motos at the track so I would say it's worth a shot).

The biggest thing I have noticed is getting the balance or the front and rear suspension to work together. It seems even when I do slight adjustments, I have to try and keep both the front and rear working in unison if that makes sense.
r.sal923
8/24/2015 10:26am
I had the 2011 yz450, I could not get the bike to turn so I moved the bar mounts into the holes closest to seat, and spun them so they were also back as far as it would allow . This worked great on the 2011. Then I got a 2014 and tried the same thing( did not work). I put my bars in forward holes with mounts spun back, run the forks all the way out so you can just see top of fork tubes. Set sag at 107-110. Get new mx52. That is the best setting I have found without changing triple clamps
factory99
8/24/2015 10:56am
Up until last weekend I was running this setup on my '14 YZ450F:
Forks 4mm up
108mm of sag
Bars in the rear holes with the mounts facing forward.
Clickers in the ballpark of MXA settings
Cycra powerflow kit
'15 motor mounts
MX32 tires

I am a long time Yamaha rider, so the following is just what I have felt.

The bike had really good turn in, mid corner would push and over-steer on exit. Went from 105mm of sag late spring to 108-109mm of sag. I raised the forks up to try and balance out the chassis and get more weight on the front end. It helped slightly along with ditching the stock MX51 tire.

This past weekend, installed the PC lowering link and set the sag at 104mm. Bike felt solid through both flat corners and off camber. Didn't sense the front end searching or wandering. If you get up on the front of the bike and lay it over with the gas on, it will track now. With the snappiness of the motor, if you chop the throttle mid corner you will upset the balance and it will go all over the place. I am really happy with the progress, it feels like a completely different bike with the lowering link. Going to do some more testing this weekend on suspension settings to see if we can improve upon where its at now.

Front brakes need work, so plan on upgrading to a larger front rotor too. All that power needs to get stopped somehow and the 240mm rotor ain't cutting it.
Ryno23
Fantasy
891st
8/24/2015 11:39am
loftyair wrote:
Read my post again lofty. Just as Matt stated it helps open up the area under the bars so taller guys like us can get forward a little easier.
BAD10
8/24/2015 1:00pm
loftyair wrote:
Dr d engine relocation kit and radiator lowering kit makes it work!
After I got the suspension dialed and engine relocation kit on my 2011 YZ450 I was one of the few people that liked that model bike. So when I got my 2014 I was expecting even more. I was really frustrated and bummed when after having the suspension done three times I still couldn't get the bike to turn they way I like. When I set the suspension to feel good in the bumps it wouldn't corner, if I set it to corner it would feel like sh!t in the bumps. I was searching and searching. Finally got the engine relocation kit from DRD and Viola! the magic is back! Amazing the difference it makes. I also put the radiator lowering kit and the 2015 front motor mounts ($8 a peace) and that helped even more. I absolutely love the bike now and its way better than the 2011 ever was. DO IT!!
mag23
8/24/2015 1:04pm
You might try the steel motor mounting plates from the '15 450. Also, the Yami is very sensitive to front tires... keep a freshie on the front.
spacecat
8/24/2015 2:14pm
Anyone try a 90 series front tire on this bike yet? I have a 2015 yz450f and am curious as to if it would help front end feel or not.
cwtoyota
8/24/2015 3:25pm
spacecat wrote:
Anyone try a 90 series front tire on this bike yet? I have a 2015 yz450f and am curious as to if it would help front...
Anyone try a 90 series front tire on this bike yet? I have a 2015 yz450f and am curious as to if it would help front end feel or not.
On tracks that have flat, hard-pack corners and/or big hard-pack berms without any decent ruts I do think the 90 front has something to offer.

I'm not a fan of the 90 on the front of any bike if there are any ruts. I spend a lot of time at Washougal and a few other tracks here in Washington and Oregon that form ruts in the corners due to high moisture and some clay in the soil. I feel like it's harder to put the 90 front tire into a rut and keep it there. I find myself using the front brake a whole lot more to keep the 90 down in the rut. That isn't specifically on the YZ450F, just my observation about the 90 tires in general.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of running an 80 or a 90 front... Just some things to consider if / when you try out the 90.

Post a reply to: A little advice on a 14 YZ450F

The Latest