A Vital-rider's Helmet Opinion: Fly Formula MX

mxb2
1/13/2011 11:28am
Does Fly s sizing chart fit true to size, run big or small? Seems like helmet charts vary! Depending on helmet company.
Blake
1/13/2011 11:28am
I use the rubber plugs. In the early morns in the high desert winter, it can be in the single digits, and 60 during the day. Or more.

Its nice to be able to shut the window so to speak.

TeamGreen
1/13/2011 11:35am
mxb2 wrote:
Does Fly s sizing chart fit true to size, run big or small? Seems like helmet charts vary! Depending on helmet company.
It's a Medum.

It's a little bit "snugger" at the front of the cheek-pads than my TLD "Medium"; but, only at 1st. It settles in.

neysbo
1/13/2011 11:40am
Where are Fly Helmets made or who makes them. I know many of the other helmets out there are made by KBC or HJC but not sure on Fly.

The Shop

TeamGreen
1/13/2011 11:44am
neysbo wrote:
Where are Fly Helmets made or who makes them. I know many of the other helmets out there are made by KBC or HJC but not...
Where are Fly Helmets made or who makes them. I know many of the other helmets out there are made by KBC or HJC but not sure on Fly.
Actually there are a few factories that make helmets for most of the brands.

I'm not sure which makes the Fly shell.

It IS funny when you tour one of the facilities and you see several brands of helmet with various materials, quality and pricing rolling out.
1/13/2011 12:04pm
Thanks to a small get off that ended up with me face planting into the other side of a creek bank....I was in the market for a new helmet.

I did like I usually do, go to all the local retailers, try on helmets, decide on my top three, and then fo look for them cheaper on-line.

After trying on all of them, the Fly Formula was my top pic. I fit me really well and I thought the construction was really good. Unfortunately they were still pretty new at the time, and I ended up getting another Bell Moto8.

Thank you for your review. After reading your experience I will definately put it back at the top of my list for the next one. I am 48, and I seem to need a new helmet about every other year or so.
TeamGreen
1/13/2011 12:09pm
Thanks to a small get off that ended up with me face planting into the other side of a creek bank....I was in the market for...
Thanks to a small get off that ended up with me face planting into the other side of a creek bank....I was in the market for a new helmet.

I did like I usually do, go to all the local retailers, try on helmets, decide on my top three, and then fo look for them cheaper on-line.

After trying on all of them, the Fly Formula was my top pic. I fit me really well and I thought the construction was really good. Unfortunately they were still pretty new at the time, and I ended up getting another Bell Moto8.

Thank you for your review. After reading your experience I will definately put it back at the top of my list for the next one. I am 48, and I seem to need a new helmet about every other year or so.
You bring up a very good point:

A helmet can "time-out"...get old, etc.

The materials can get brittle, micro-crack, become damaged from a fall, etc.

Your helmet's manufacturer is the only source for reliable information on that matter, IMHO.

Good luck, be safe & keep ridin'!

Post a reply to: A Vital-rider's Helmet Opinion: Fly Formula MX

The Latest