93/96 MC Project

bradmx421
8/24/2012 5:16pm Edited Date/Time 8/27/2012 3:51pm
...For those of you that dont know, i bought a used clapped out 1993 Honda CR250R from Ebay for $500 and decided to build a 93/96 McGrath Project.....yeah i know the trendiest build of 2012...lol. My Suspenion is getting re-valved and set-up currently. Since today is slow on here i thought i would share a pic so you guys could see how it was coming along.

|
Presley155
8/25/2012 6:44am
Who cares about "trendy", builds like this will always be cool! Threads like these are my favorite on Vital. I have been kicking around the idea of building a 96'/97' Emig KX250 replica. Keep the pics of your progress coming!
bradmx421
8/25/2012 9:35am
Presley155 wrote:
Who cares about "trendy", builds like this will always be cool! Threads like these are my favorite on Vital. I have been kicking around the idea...
Who cares about "trendy", builds like this will always be cool! Threads like these are my favorite on Vital. I have been kicking around the idea of building a 96'/97' Emig KX250 replica. Keep the pics of your progress coming!
i really want to build a KX project too..... ive been looking into them for the last few weeks. the seat covers seem to be the hardest to obtain for the Factory Replicas. ive been searching everywhere to find a 96 Factory Kawi cover and a 96 Pro Circuit seat cover and have had no luck at all. if i could just find a seat cover i would start searching for a nice beater to rebuild.
Crush
8/25/2012 8:43pm
Presley155 wrote:
Who cares about "trendy", builds like this will always be cool! Threads like these are my favorite on Vital. I have been kicking around the idea...
Dude, that would be sweet! My brother and I were talking about how the cool bikes still look cool and I said i'd love to do a 2001 RC replica KX250 but I think you might be onto something with a Fro bike, they were awesome looking machines...

Kawi has had some crackers over the years...
TeamGreen
8/25/2012 8:48pm
I really thik it's one of the/if not THE best era in MX...

Also, simply beautiful bike, too.

Best of luck!

The Shop

Hank_Thrill
8/25/2012 10:26pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2012 10:28pm
That thing is going to be sick!

Plus, if the MC thing gets old you can slap some #4's on it and have a Doug Henry replica (looks like '95 graphics there).

This video never gets old.
https://youtu.be/0YY56Dro0Oc
8/26/2012 3:08am
ill be watching too, love the build ups people are doing.. very cool
mark_swart
8/26/2012 9:13am
I did the same build a couple years back with a 96. Depending on how well you like your revalve, you can also put the later model (97 and up) twin chamber forks on there as well, which brings you up to almost modern specs.
If you are trying to be a purist, cone pipes are very hard to find. But PCs are pretty easy to find.
Had a lot of fun with mine, nice broad power for a smoker and those bikes can still get around a track surprisingly quickly! Enjoy!
chrisbuehler
8/26/2012 9:17am
Presley155 wrote:
That would be sweeeet! Anything Fro rules! Seems like lots of Honda and Yamaha projects posted but a Fro replica would be the shit
OriolMassot
8/26/2012 10:16am
I would say you need more room in your garage! BTW, congrats and keep us updated!!
Presley155
8/26/2012 1:00pm
Presley155 wrote:
bradmx421 wrote:
i really want to build a KX project too..... ive been looking into them for the last few weeks. the seat covers seem to be the...
i really want to build a KX project too..... ive been looking into them for the last few weeks. the seat covers seem to be the hardest to obtain for the Factory Replicas. ive been searching everywhere to find a 96 Factory Kawi cover and a 96 Pro Circuit seat cover and have had no luck at all. if i could just find a seat cover i would start searching for a nice beater to rebuild.
I found this one on CL yesterday and it has the FX seat cover! I should probably go scoop this one up just for that reason.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3221386342.html
peelout
8/27/2012 9:40am
very cool

i just found a '95 CR 250 and an '83 CR 250... not sure if i want to try to do a Bailey or MC replica

guess i have to buy it first eh
bradmx421
8/27/2012 10:42am
mark_swart wrote:
I did the same build a couple years back with a 96. Depending on how well you like your revalve, you can also put the later...
I did the same build a couple years back with a 96. Depending on how well you like your revalve, you can also put the later model (97 and up) twin chamber forks on there as well, which brings you up to almost modern specs.
If you are trying to be a purist, cone pipes are very hard to find. But PCs are pretty easy to find.
Had a lot of fun with mine, nice broad power for a smoker and those bikes can still get around a track surprisingly quickly! Enjoy!
The suspension that i am having re-done are 47mm Showas off an 05 Crf250....and the stock 93 rear shock(good shock). its hard to tell in the pic but i have the stock clamps off of the 04 Crf250 in the background(its had Applied on it since 04). I bought the forks off of ebay for $150 and they were already somewhat done up by factory connection but i am putting alot more cool stuff internally.

For the pipe, the bike actually came with a Pro Circut Works pipe and silencer. all that i did was remove all the rust and make it look brand new.
bradmx421
8/27/2012 10:45am
Presley155 wrote:
bradmx421 wrote:
i really want to build a KX project too..... ive been looking into them for the last few weeks. the seat covers seem to be the...
Presley155 wrote:
I found this one on CL yesterday and it has the FX seat cover! I should probably go scoop this one up just for that reason...
I found this one on CL yesterday and it has the FX seat cover! I should probably go scoop this one up just for that reason.

did you pick it up? it was removed by poster

ive been searching everywhere for that seat cover, i was under the impression though that the seat covers were made by a company called MXA not FX. those were actually some of the first gripper seat covers ever in production. they had a cool "cobra pattern" ribs on the top.
bradmx421
8/27/2012 10:49am Edited Date/Time 8/27/2012 10:49am
Presley155 wrote:
Crush wrote:
Dude, that would be sweet! My brother and I were talking about how the cool bikes still look cool and I said i'd love to do...
Dude, that would be sweet! My brother and I were talking about how the cool bikes still look cool and I said i'd love to do a 2001 RC replica KX250 but I think you might be onto something with a Fro bike, they were awesome looking machines...

Kawi has had some crackers over the years...
if you watch some of the supercross races from 96 you will see some amazing bikes.

Remember Jimmy Button's PJ1 team? those bikes were pretty bad-ass black with highlighter yellow

Jimmy Button's PJ1 YZ250
bradmx421
8/27/2012 10:50am
TeamGreen wrote:
I really thik it's one of the/if not THE best era in MX...

Also, simply beautiful bike, too.

Best of luck!
best era^^^^
bradmx421
8/27/2012 10:58am
I would say you need more room in your garage! BTW, congrats and keep us updated!!
its hard owning....

11 KX250f
04 Crf250r
01 Cr250R
93 Cr250R
91 Cr500R
81 Maico Alpha 1 490
74 CZ MX400
05 Klx110
03 Xr50
03 Xr70
06 Pw50
80 Jr50
(2) 69 CT70's
05 Trx300Ex

..... but yeah, i pull a few bikes out to work on it. if there was more room...there would probably be more bikes
mxracer32
8/27/2012 11:02am
ive been wanting to do one of these for a while, just like you are doing. good luck on the project and keep us up to date on your progress.
Rob_Miller
8/27/2012 11:06am
That thing is going to be sick! Plus, if the MC thing gets old you can slap some #4's on it and have a Doug Henry...
That thing is going to be sick!

Plus, if the MC thing gets old you can slap some #4's on it and have a Doug Henry replica (looks like '95 graphics there).

This video never gets old.
https://youtu.be/0YY56Dro0Oc
Whenever I think of MC, this video is exactly what comes to mind.

Number 1: He was keeping it fun all the time. Obviously he took his racing seriously.. but he was also still having fun on the bike, throwing it around, free riding, doing whatever he wanted to. This is something that I think gets lost along the way now.

Number 2: Everyone always talks about his nac-nacs.. but I always think about his no footers he was always doing. They just look so different from anything anyone else was doing. His ass is on the seat in almost all his no footers. Just looks cool and smooth.
U3
8/27/2012 12:30pm Edited Date/Time 8/27/2012 12:32pm
bradmx421 wrote:
if you watch some of the supercross races from 96 you will see some amazing bikes. Remember Jimmy Button's PJ1 team? those bikes were pretty bad-ass...
if you watch some of the supercross races from 96 you will see some amazing bikes.

Remember Jimmy Button's PJ1 team? those bikes were pretty bad-ass black with highlighter yellow

Jimmy Button's PJ1 YZ250
Thanks Brad for posting this pic!
Reminds me of a few old magazines, where I saw this bike. Always liked it, and the 93 Chesterfield in the works YZ post is one of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen!

A few weeks ago I was thinking about redoing my '08 YZ300 for one more year of use and abuse, just found some pretty nice looks to redo on my bike... Grinning

Greetings from Germany

Anyone interested in a complete Rinaldi YZ250 kit with very few hours on it?
bradmx421
8/27/2012 1:27pm
yeah, i dont know if it is because these bikes were part of my Youth and i looked up to all these riders. but the mid 90's had all of the best looking bikes. If you See a LWR KTM in person you will see that we are trying to re-create that whole stand out bike look.
Presley155
8/27/2012 2:25pm
bradmx421 wrote:
Presley155 wrote:
I found this one on CL yesterday and it has the FX seat cover! I should probably go scoop this one up just for that reason...

bradmx421 wrote:
did you pick it up? it was removed by poster ive been searching everywhere for that seat cover, i was under the impression though that the...
did you pick it up? it was removed by poster

ive been searching everywhere for that seat cover, i was under the impression though that the seat covers were made by a company called MXA not FX. those were actually some of the first gripper seat covers ever in production. they had a cool "cobra pattern" ribs on the top.
FX made the team graphics and some replica seat covers. I had them on a 96' KX250, but I think you are correct that a company called MXA made the actual ones used by Team Kawi. The team used FX graphics and the MXA seat covers. The FX replica one I had on my KX250 had a gray center section and purple sides. I'll have to try and dig up a picture of it.

Post a reply to: 93/96 MC Project

The Latest