90's vs 2014 tracks

jonesaustin
1/28/2014 5:22pm Edited Date/Time 1/29/2014 3:55pm
YouTubing Ricky Carmichael's Hall of Fame speech and clicked this race video. just comparing the tracks now from then. honestly they're all badass, generation to generation. now they're just different. still, looking at some of this footage, it looks sketchy and the 2 strokes just race in a way that's s still exciting.. check out the Carmichael's pass for the lead, around 8:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIqWwP1Nsy4
|
JM485
1/28/2014 7:39pm
Damn those bikes looked good!Wink

One thing I noticed was that the berms were pushed back on some of the corners to allow an inside line to develop. Why don't they do that today?
JW381
1/28/2014 8:12pm
JM485 wrote:
Damn those bikes looked good!;) One thing I noticed was that the berms were pushed back on some of the corners to allow an inside line...
Damn those bikes looked good!Wink

One thing I noticed was that the berms were pushed back on some of the corners to allow an inside line to develop. Why don't they do that today?
I dunno, but I also miss the peakiness.
Jimfunn
1/29/2014 6:11am
everything looks so much steeper. Obviously riding techniques and bikes have come along way but think the tracks now as so generic and are not challenging enough for the riders....although Oakland was definitely best track so far by a long way. I think the double after the tripped looked much kickier and slowed the riders down allot.
1/29/2014 2:20pm
YouTubing Ricky Carmichael's Hall of Fame speech and clicked this race video. just comparing the tracks now from then. honestly they're all badass, generation to generation...
YouTubing Ricky Carmichael's Hall of Fame speech and clicked this race video. just comparing the tracks now from then. honestly they're all badass, generation to generation. now they're just different. still, looking at some of this footage, it looks sketchy and the 2 strokes just race in a way that's s still exciting.. check out the Carmichael's pass for the lead, around 8:45

I dunno about you, but the biggest thing I noticed was the massive improvement in the booth.

Best announcing crew ever. It's not even close how much better that crew works together. Nothing against Fro and Ricky, but Ralph just brings things down way below the standard set by the original crew.

The Shop

1/29/2014 2:31pm
In the 90's jumps sent riders up more than forward. I think they actually need to build bigger steeper jumps like that big "stadium double" they had last week. It will help keep speeds down. Put them right out of a turn and send the riders up. These 5 footers they are hitting at 40 mph and flying 80 feet have to stop.
1/29/2014 2:35pm
YouTubing Ricky Carmichael's Hall of Fame speech and clicked this race video. just comparing the tracks now from then. honestly they're all badass, generation to generation...

I dunno about you, but the biggest thing I noticed was the massive improvement in the booth. Best announcing crew ever. It's not even close how...
I dunno about you, but the biggest thing I noticed was the massive improvement in the booth.

Best announcing crew ever. It's not even close how much better that crew works together. Nothing against Fro and Ricky, but Ralph just brings things down way below the standard set by the original crew.
I am beginning to like Ralph. He is always pumped! That takes a lot to bring his intensity. Weege would be my vote to replace Ralph though.

Ricky needs to go. Great on the bike but not that hot with a mic. Have him in from time to time but let him announce arenacross and hone his skills because he needs the practice for the booth just like the arenacross guys do for the big show. It truly would be Rickys road to supercross thenWink

Emig is good.

More KW please.
jonesaustin
1/29/2014 3:18pm Edited Date/Time 1/29/2014 3:22pm
no NOT more KW please, sorry lol. he's very nasally. RC is better, but McGrath is even better. Fro is amazing. almost like Bailey was amazing. adding KW would be a big mistake. believe me. and yes, Ralph, as much as i love him, would be much better replaced with Weege (who is fantastic). corporate types have a hard time making decisions based on what is right, but an easy time making decisions based on what is "perceived" as right. hence, Shaheen will likely stay because he sounds like a pro stick and ball sports voice, even if he's totally wrong for this sport.
1/29/2014 3:35pm Edited Date/Time 1/29/2014 3:35pm
Ricky is not a good announcer. I think he could be. But he is not.

Jeff Emig worked really really hard to become as good at it as he is. RC needs to put the work in.

Even Weege had a lot of practice in the wrestling days.
observer
1/29/2014 3:55pm
no NOT more KW please, sorry lol. he's very nasally. RC is better, but McGrath is even better. Fro is amazing. almost like Bailey was amazing...
no NOT more KW please, sorry lol. he's very nasally. RC is better, but McGrath is even better. Fro is amazing. almost like Bailey was amazing. adding KW would be a big mistake. believe me. and yes, Ralph, as much as i love him, would be much better replaced with Weege (who is fantastic). corporate types have a hard time making decisions based on what is right, but an easy time making decisions based on what is "perceived" as right. hence, Shaheen will likely stay because he sounds like a pro stick and ball sports voice, even if he's totally wrong for this sport.
Agree....I thought MC was pretty decent last Saturday-a littel coaching & exp, he'll be fine. Ralph is there to bring hyper intensity to the cast-which he does. He also inserts some provocative questions to Fro & (the other guy w mic in the booth)to hold the viewers attention. While there's no arguing RC has got the credentials, I've thought he's got a long ways to go. They "hand off" to each other as they call the race. And what each says, and how, determines the interest level kept(by me at least). Although this is why I DVR the races. Skip the blah, blah....
KDub I thought, had potential, esp when he was still racing, he always fielded the questions posed great....
thus I thought, "he's going to the booth right after he hangs his gear up..."
Like Fro said at 'shougal one time ..."it's not as easy as most people think it is..."
No doubt.

Post a reply to: 90's vs 2014 tracks

The Latest