6D helmet testing in Mexico

ridge
Edited Date/Time 6/17/2015 6:51pm
There has been a lot of talk about 6D helmets on the board, so I thought I'd let you in on some test results.

I'm still alive. LOL.

During the 2015 Baja 500 last weekend while running 2nd overall, I hit a buried rock at about 60-70mph. The bike instantly went into an endo. I'm not sure if there is anything more terrifying than diving head first over the bars at that speed...knowing the bike is going to chase you down. I honestly thought I was going to hit so hard that I might not wake up.

No, this wasn't the first time I've done this at high speed, but it's the first time I've stayed awake. I remember every hit, every tumble, as I bounced through the desert. At one point I saw the bike, and it looked like it was 15 feet in the air. It was the craziest experience to be so aware of what was going on. The only thing I can relate it to is playing a video game.

The bike was thrashed! The fender was tucked farther back than Bruce Jenner's wiener at a nude beach. The FMF exhaust was ripped off the bike and the mounts were crushed. Wheels bent, bars bent, sub-frame bent...it was a yard sale of epic proportions.

Except for the normal back, wrist, shoulder, and hip (I'm old) injuries, I was doing great! I hobbled back to the bike immediately and took off. I was pretty sure my kidney was floating behind me like a little parachute and I knew I needed to ride to safety.

I couldn't have gotten the bike to my next rider (50+ miles away) if I had been knocked out.

I really think the 6D saved our race and maybe my life!

I'm sending the helmet back to 6D. They said if the outer shell is in good shape, they can replace the inner foam and everything! The foam did compress...

Edit: the exhaust fell off right after this was taken...it was a LOUD 50 miles!
|
peelout
6/10/2015 9:57am
you're one bad mother-fucker Ridge, glad you're safe and congratulations on not only finishing but being able to walk the strip of LaPaz again one day.

i know Myers said nothing but good about them, i'm thinking it might be my next lid
boybuc
6/10/2015 10:00am
Glad your OK Chris and Yes the 6D Helmet works good
Highsider
6/10/2015 10:16am
Superior testing procedure, there, Chris!
dak446
6/10/2015 10:19am
Thanks for taking one for the team, but there might be safer ways to test a lid. Glad you're okay!

The Shop

ridge
6/10/2015 10:27am
dak446 wrote:
Thanks for taking one for the team, but there might be safer ways to test a lid. Glad you're okay!
Unfortunately I've tested many helmets this way...and the 6D wins. Lol
ridge
6/10/2015 10:29am
peelout wrote:
you're one bad mother-fucker Ridge, glad you're safe and congratulations on not only finishing but being able to walk the strip of LaPaz again one day...
you're one bad mother-fucker Ridge, glad you're safe and congratulations on not only finishing but being able to walk the strip of LaPaz again one day.

i know Myers said nothing but good about them, i'm thinking it might be my next lid
Of course we'll be in La Paz again...let's meet at the whale.

LMFAO
Canadad
6/10/2015 11:24am
"The bike was thrashed! The fender was tucked farther back than Bruce Jenner's wiener at a nude beach. The FMF exhaust was ripped off the bike and the mounts were crushed. Wheels bent, bars bent, sub-frame bent...it was a yard sale of epic proportions."

HoF material, thanks ridge for my afternoon belly laugh!
RonSkj
Fantasy
131st
6/10/2015 11:53am
What section did you ride? We chased while my brother rode from 145 - 240 on a 40+ team
Xeno
6/10/2015 11:55am
Glad you survived, you nut job!

Abshire told me what you said to him after the crash- you briefly considered that you had died and gone to heaven! Awesome!
FWYT
6/10/2015 12:12pm
Ridge, you're classic. Glad you're OK!
ridge
6/10/2015 12:24pm
RonSkj wrote:
What section did you ride? We chased while my brother rode from 145 - 240 on a 40+ team
I rode from 145 to 225. I was supposed to take it all the way to valley T, but...

Myers gave me the bike about 15 seconds out of 1st place. When I crashed we must have had a huge lead on 3rd (like 15 minutes).

Did your rider say anything about a course change between 170ish and 225? I crashed on a section I had not pre-run.
ridge
6/10/2015 12:29pm
Xeno wrote:
Glad you survived, you nut job! Abshire told me what you said to him after the crash- you briefly considered that you had died and gone...
Glad you survived, you nut job!

Abshire told me what you said to him after the crash- you briefly considered that you had died and gone to heaven! Awesome!
Yeah! So here I was on unfamiliar race course after the crash, hauling ass on this pretty smooth, twisty, sandy 2-track path. (It was supposed to be super shitty.)

I kept thinking, am I lost? Did I die and God took away all of Satan's bumps? Then I thought I'm in too much pain to be dead...so I went back to thinking I was lost!

It sounds funny but I really had those thoughts going through my head.
KlootZak
6/10/2015 1:03pm
Jezus christ ... I'm a belie6Der ... A shame they are a bit out of my price league (even though I realize a helmet is very important etc.)
peelout
6/10/2015 1:04pm
peelout wrote:
you're one bad mother-fucker Ridge, glad you're safe and congratulations on not only finishing but being able to walk the strip of LaPaz again one day...

ridge wrote:
Of course we'll be in La Paz again...let's meet at the whale.

LMFAO
which Whale?!

haha!
cwtoyota
6/10/2015 3:00pm
ridge wrote:
Yeah! So here I was on unfamiliar race course after the crash, hauling ass on this pretty smooth, twisty, sandy 2-track path. (It was supposed to...
Yeah! So here I was on unfamiliar race course after the crash, hauling ass on this pretty smooth, twisty, sandy 2-track path. (It was supposed to be super shitty.)

I kept thinking, am I lost? Did I die and God took away all of Satan's bumps? Then I thought I'm in too much pain to be dead...so I went back to thinking I was lost!

It sounds funny but I really had those thoughts going through my head.
Are you a below the knee amputee? Looks like you have a peg-leg in that pic. If you are, that's truly inspirational to see you ripping on the bike with a piece of hardware! Shifting must be tough!

In your pic of the EPS foam, I can see the same distortion I have in my Shoei. My liner is distorted low around the back of the head and more down near the neck.

After watching my helmet cam in slow motion, looking at the scratches in my helmet shell and comparing that to the distortion in the foam and the sore muscles in the back of my neck I figured out the impact:

I think I pretty much did a lawn dart straight into the clay. The bump on the back of the Shoei caught the dirt and my head was torqued back and up as if I looked up very quickly. Once my neck bottomed out at the end of it's "travel" I think my brain got the rotation and impact at the same time.

Here's a photo of my helmet. Looking up and rearward. The bottom of the photo is the bottom/rear neck-line:

peelout
6/10/2015 3:12pm Edited Date/Time 6/10/2015 3:12pm
@cwtoyota

Ridge is an animal on the bike, incredible talent and easily the best rider i've ever ridden with in my 20 odd years riding. i haven't been on a technical single-track or cliff jump yet that he wasn't ripping up before i could have a chance. riding with him you'd never know he had a prosthetic until you saw it. it's impressive for sure.

NHtoWA421
6/10/2015 3:42pm
That line about bruce jenners wiener almost brought me to tears... then i saw the last pic, and thought that it was a spot on description. Glad youre okay, looks and sounds like quite the spill!
Crush
6/10/2015 3:42pm
Glad you're ok dude, holy fuck that is the worst ever, can't imagine how bad it is doing it in the middle of nowhere!
ridge
6/10/2015 3:46pm Edited Date/Time 6/10/2015 3:47pm
peelout wrote:
@cwtoyota Ridge is an animal on the bike, incredible talent and easily the best rider i've ever ridden with in my 20 odd years riding. i...
@cwtoyota

Ridge is an animal on the bike, incredible talent and easily the best rider i've ever ridden with in my 20 odd years riding. i haven't been on a technical single-track or cliff jump yet that he wasn't ripping up before i could have a chance. riding with him you'd never know he had a prosthetic until you saw it. it's impressive for sure.

Whoa bro! Thanks, but not only have I introduced you to some real bad-asses, but you seem to ride pretty effin good considering how much you post on Vital. Hahaha.
ridge
6/10/2015 3:55pm
CWToyota...that helmet definitely did it's job as well. I'm not sure we can really compare foam crushing though, since our helmets are pretty different.

This was the first time I've crashed in a 6D and I feel it went above and beyond my expectations of any helmet.

I've been practicing and trail riding in my (older) Bell helmets. That's going to stop immediately. Hopefully this one can be repaired and I'll be buying another 6D.

I've been around this sport for 30+ years and crashed a lot (hence the fake leg). This helmet is the real deal.
jeffro503
6/10/2015 4:14pm
All I can say is that I am really glad you're ok Chris. We all love this sport and some of us have had some close calls over the years , and got lucky enough to actually survive it. Most of the time it's just a hospital stay , which just comes with this sport. Other times? , Well , we would of had someone else posting here in your behalf. I can't legitimately call you a " crazy bastard " because I have my close calls even to this day.

If it was freakin boring and safe a different set of people would be doing this sport. US true moto heads would need to find something else to put our stomachs into our throats and scare the shit out of us every once in a while. And mean while guys that think golf is an extreme sport , would probably be riding our bikes.

Glad you're ok bud! We seem to always hear a "bad ending " when things like this happen. Glad yours wasn't!
ledger
6/10/2015 4:52pm
Agree with jeffro, and thankful you were able to get back on the bike and go the distance. Your dedication to what you love is beyond admiration, you're one BAD DUDE in my book and take that as compliment. Hell, now I want a 6D helmet.
cwtoyota
6/10/2015 5:28pm
ridge wrote:
CWToyota...that helmet definitely did it's job as well. I'm not sure we can really compare foam crushing though, since our helmets are pretty different. This was...
CWToyota...that helmet definitely did it's job as well. I'm not sure we can really compare foam crushing though, since our helmets are pretty different.

This was the first time I've crashed in a 6D and I feel it went above and beyond my expectations of any helmet.

I've been practicing and trail riding in my (older) Bell helmets. That's going to stop immediately. Hopefully this one can be repaired and I'll be buying another 6D.

I've been around this sport for 30+ years and crashed a lot (hence the fake leg). This helmet is the real deal.
You're right about comparing crushed foam... Sorry if I gave that impression. EVERY impact is a different set of circumstances and we hit opposite sides of the head.

I, like you have been practicing in an older helmet (Fox V3)... I'm going to re-consider that too.
ridge
6/10/2015 5:33pm
cwtoyota wrote:
You're right about comparing crushed foam... Sorry if I gave that impression. EVERY impact is a different set of circumstances and we hit opposite sides of...
You're right about comparing crushed foam... Sorry if I gave that impression. EVERY impact is a different set of circumstances and we hit opposite sides of the head.

I, like you have been practicing in an older helmet (Fox V3)... I'm going to re-consider that too.
Oh! No apologies needed bro! I wasn't saying that...I meant our helmets are designed differently (I think) so the foam crushing would probably be more (or less) depending on how the helmet is designed. Lol.
TeamGreen
6/10/2015 6:08pm
When one of my friends puts something up that I know will improve someone-else's riding and safety...?

I'm jus'...well...proud.

As Chris and the rest of us that race in a Baja know...getting up from something like this is literally like being reborn.
It's a Reckoning.

And, ya know what, Chris? I'm actually glad that it went EXACTLY the way it did.
You know what I mean, don't ya? Everything in life seems to be "just fine" when you walk away from something like this.
Doesn't it?
ridge
6/10/2015 6:10pm
TeamGreen wrote:
When one of my friends puts something up that I know will improve someone-else's riding and safety...? I'm jus'...well...proud. As Chris and the rest of us...
When one of my friends puts something up that I know will improve someone-else's riding and safety...?

I'm jus'...well...proud.

As Chris and the rest of us that race in a Baja know...getting up from something like this is literally like being reborn.
It's a Reckoning.

And, ya know what, Chris? I'm actually glad that it went EXACTLY the way it did.
You know what I mean, don't ya? Everything in life seems to be "just fine" when you walk away from something like this.
Doesn't it?
It does!

Were you following our progress during the race? Were you proud? We did pretty damn good for 2 old dudes and 2 guys who had never raced a bike!
Xeno
6/10/2015 6:18pm
ridge jumped off this:

6/10/2015 6:19pm
That's a hell of a testimony, Ridge. Glad you're OK. Big respect for you tackling the Baja 5 on a prosthetic. You're badass!

I had a unfortunate chance to test my 6D coming down Mt. St. Helens. Witnesses say the crash was so violent, the 6D probably saved my life. Bob and the 6D team were able to rebuild the helmet for me..for $200 my helmet was technically/safety speaking, brand new.

I'm a believer too. There's a lot of skeptics on here, but the technology and science behind it is sound. The test results are proven and now we're getting respectable rider testimonials from real world crashes. I don't see how people can continue to doubt or be skeptical of the helmet.

Ride on - Ride Safe.

Doug

Post a reply to: 6D helmet testing in Mexico

The Latest