6D concussions

mx965
Edited Date/Time 10/28/2015 5:09am
There is a kid that lives around me who is currently in the hospital. He fell at a local track, I hear from people there he did not fall that hard, got back on the bike rode a half a lap pulled off the track and passed out. He is in the hospital right now with major memory loss. He was also in a coma for a day I believe. With the RJ hampshire thing recently and the guy who posted in the other thread about concussions it got me thinking. I would like to hear if anyone else heard about concussions exclusively with this new helmet technology.
|
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
10/26/2015 3:15pm
So what helmet was the kid wearing? I think that's missing from your story.
mx965
10/26/2015 3:17pm
GuyB wrote:
So what helmet was the kid wearing? I think that's missing from your story.
Oh he was also wearing a 6D sorry.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
10/26/2015 3:19pm
You know what helmet can prevent you from all potential head injuries?
You know which bikes never break?

I'll give you a hint. The answer is the same for both. Wink
mx965
10/26/2015 3:22pm
GuyB wrote:
You know what helmet can prevent you from all potential head injuries? You know which bikes never break? I'll give you a hint. The answer is...
You know what helmet can prevent you from all potential head injuries?
You know which bikes never break?

I'll give you a hint. The answer is the same for both. Wink
Im not saying these helmets are the cause of injury im just curious about the amount of concussions that have happened in them. For example, the guy in the previous thread said he wore arai for 20 years bought the bell moto 9 flex and got a concussion first crash.

The Shop

cslacker
10/26/2015 3:28pm
mx965 wrote:
Im not saying these helmets are the cause of injury im just curious about the amount of concussions that have happened in them. For example, the...
Im not saying these helmets are the cause of injury im just curious about the amount of concussions that have happened in them. For example, the guy in the previous thread said he wore arai for 20 years bought the bell moto 9 flex and got a concussion first crash.
He said Moto 9, not Moto 9 flex.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
10/26/2015 3:29pm
I wasn't assuming that's what you were saying.

I've talked to a few different pro riders, and there seems to be a trend with a few of the guys where they're looking for softer outer shells. A couple of them feel that a really stiff shell boosts their chance of a concussion at low speeds. That's why you'll find some riders using European spec helmets, rather than the U.S. models (CE standard, vs. Snell.)

Of course, these are also guys who get their stuff for free, already have multiple helmets at their disposal, swap them out sooner, and they're not as concerned about a long helmet life as a consumer might be.
Kyle978
10/26/2015 3:30pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2015 3:32pm
I am no scientist or data expert, just have some experience (unfortunately) testing helmets.

I'm 25 and have had 9 concussions total, 7 from MX, 1 from football in high school and 1 at 2 years old from riding my trike down our stairs and hitting a wall at the landing of the stairs.

Since I started riding my parents had me in Arai helmets, and I switched to Shoei when I was 17. I clearly have hit my head a lot over the years, and have been out for as long as 9 minutes.

I bought a 6D when they came out, and have taken 2 hard slams to the head since. I'm not exaggerating when I say you can feel the helmet flex and rotate, and that feeling you get when you smack your head (anyone who has hit their head hard knows what feeling I'm talking about) is GREATLY reduced. No headache, and no pain at all during or after the crash.

I can honestly say I feel the 6D helmet technology has helped prevent me from getting a concussion. I have bought a new 6D at my local shop after each hard crash.

Like I said, this is all opinion and I have no data to back up my claims, but I am a firm believer in the technology. I'm sure there is room to improve on their technology and I would imagine they are working on improving their current platform.
mx965
10/26/2015 3:33pm
Kyle978 wrote:
I am no scientist or data expert, just have some experience (unfortunately) testing helmets. I'm 25 and have had 9 concussions total, 7 from MX, 1...
I am no scientist or data expert, just have some experience (unfortunately) testing helmets.

I'm 25 and have had 9 concussions total, 7 from MX, 1 from football in high school and 1 at 2 years old from riding my trike down our stairs and hitting a wall at the landing of the stairs.

Since I started riding my parents had me in Arai helmets, and I switched to Shoei when I was 17. I clearly have hit my head a lot over the years, and have been out for as long as 9 minutes.

I bought a 6D when they came out, and have taken 2 hard slams to the head since. I'm not exaggerating when I say you can feel the helmet flex and rotate, and that feeling you get when you smack your head (anyone who has hit their head hard knows what feeling I'm talking about) is GREATLY reduced. No headache, and no pain at all during or after the crash.

I can honestly say I feel the 6D helmet technology has helped prevent me from getting a concussion. I have bought a new 6D at my local shop after each hard crash.

Like I said, this is all opinion and I have no data to back up my claims, but I am a firm believer in the technology. I'm sure there is room to improve on their technology and I would imagine they are working on improving their current platform.
Good info
agn5009
10/26/2015 3:37pm
Kyle978 wrote:
I am no scientist or data expert, just have some experience (unfortunately) testing helmets. I'm 25 and have had 9 concussions total, 7 from MX, 1...

Same with me. I've had 7 (known) concussions. I haven't had one since buying a 6D. (Knock on wood) I've taken a fee decent hits and have not had an issues
resetjet
10/26/2015 3:49pm
If you hit as hard as RJ did with any helmet, you are gonna be in trouble....That was just hard to watch.
Dtat720
10/26/2015 3:51pm
Good topic, on the bmx side of racing, Donny Robinson is big on concussion awareness and has a ton of tedting and data research to go along with his awareness project.

The biggest thing he talks about when it comes to helmets and concussions is that no one helmet is superior to another per se. Directional impacts and speeds result in different results. He is working with several top engineers and testing facilities to get a better understanding of what works in different scenarios. From the data he has to date, the 6d and the moto 9 flex are pretty much even in results. Arai and the moto 9 are the next level and shoei vf-x next. Peruse through his concussion discussion on vintagebmx or find him on facebook to get more of his info. I dont know of another rider out there who has been so extensive in researching this topic.
JoJmoto
10/26/2015 4:02pm
My son had a 6D for maybe three months at best earlier this year... crashed really hard (hard enough to also fracture his pelvis) and it knocked him out for about 2 minutes.
Zaugg
10/26/2015 4:22pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2015 4:29pm
You can't really judge a situation by what others have said...especially a crash. I've seen minor looking tip-overs blow out a knee while also seeing someone crash so hard you would think they were dead only to see them get up, dust themselves off, and walk away.

Also, did this person have previous and recent head trauma you didn't know about?

At the end of the day, a helmet is designed to decrease the chances of injury, not altogether prevent it. No piece of safety equipment can.

I'm not advocating buying a cheap helmet but also consider that there is no correlation between helmet price and safety.

Bell and 6D have spent time and money researching different types of impact and its changing the helmet market.

Perhaps, with all this new tech, people feel safer, then go faster, and that is the cause for increased incidents. Too many variables to consider.

I'm just glad Bell and 6D are innovating and improving head protection.

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
10/26/2015 4:33pm
Another "seat of the pants" measurement here: I was knocked out in an AXO helmet in 1999. I hit my head really hard in an Arai in 2004, enough to shatter the paint, with no ill effects.
Needless to say, I'm sold on the more expensive helmets.
mj731
10/26/2015 4:33pm
Last year I took a nap the first day I wore my new Bell moto9. I'm not sure how long I was out and I was really bummed that my new helmet was junk but rather than wondering if the helmet should have done more I'm just thankful that it wasn't worse.
Ashleymx
10/26/2015 4:37pm
Just sitting on my MTB the other day I starting thinking about Helmets. (There were two riders not wearing them so I guess that got me thinking, idiots lol) I hit my head with my fist gently and to be honest it feels like they won't do a darn thing in light to moderate hits which is most likely on a mtb trail. In a catastrophic hit like a car or the road surface I'm sure it would help for sure though. I don't get why (and this goes for MX helmets too) they don't have a softer more progressive layer between the Polystyrene and the soft liner instead of Hard Shell, Hard Polystyrene then soft liner that is more or less pre compressed when your head goes in anyway. There's nothing for lighter blows that lead to most concussions. The 6D helmet seems to address this though? and I'd be sure to look closely at one if I start riding dirt bikes regularly again.
cwtoyota
10/26/2015 4:58pm
My personal opinion is that the 6D and Moto 9 Flex are a good start in the right direction. It's time we have a specific helmet standard designed form motocross and off-road riders / racers.

Snell and DOT standards and tests are not designed with us motocross and off-road riders in mind. That much is certain.

That low speed impact protection is sound logic in my opinion, but it needs to be proven through rigorous science before we can all say: "This is the new standard and this is how a Motocross helmet should perform in testing."

For now, the manufacturers like 6D and Bell are leading the way. I applaud them. Unfortunately, there is no independent lab testing and there cannot be until an independent group is assembled to rigorously study these helmets, standard helmets, brain injuries and determine the range of impact vectors that are possible and also most common in MX and Off-Road.

Hopefully the day independent science comes into this area will arrive sooner than later.
IWreckALot
10/26/2015 6:42pm
Helmets to a certain degree are like anything else engineering related. If you prepare for one kind of wreck, you probably give up protection in another area. I like that 6d has come up with another option and reinvented the helmet. If nothing else, it gives a little more variety in the helmet industry. To say that one helmet has caused damage that another would have prevented seems subjective at best and more likely just an opinion.
mx965
10/26/2015 7:26pm
cwtoyota wrote:
My personal opinion is that the 6D and Moto 9 Flex are a good start in the right direction. It's time we have a specific helmet...
My personal opinion is that the 6D and Moto 9 Flex are a good start in the right direction. It's time we have a specific helmet standard designed form motocross and off-road riders / racers.

Snell and DOT standards and tests are not designed with us motocross and off-road riders in mind. That much is certain.

That low speed impact protection is sound logic in my opinion, but it needs to be proven through rigorous science before we can all say: "This is the new standard and this is how a Motocross helmet should perform in testing."

For now, the manufacturers like 6D and Bell are leading the way. I applaud them. Unfortunately, there is no independent lab testing and there cannot be until an independent group is assembled to rigorously study these helmets, standard helmets, brain injuries and determine the range of impact vectors that are possible and also most common in MX and Off-Road.

Hopefully the day independent science comes into this area will arrive sooner than later.
This is what I was thinking mostly. In simpler terms, I feel like the 6D is good in the lab but maybe for real results it might need to be tweaked? I dont know, hard topic when it comes to any protection gear for moto because you cant test it unless you wreck but then everyone says "well, it probably wouldve happened in any helmet/neckbrace/boots etc..).
Spartacus
10/26/2015 7:43pm
Seeing as there are only about 1000 variables in how you head may hit, the "I hit my head nine this/that helmet and therefore......" doesn't mean much to me. While imperfect, I'll take lab results any day over me/my friend/some pro/or my kid stories.

rstaichi
10/26/2015 8:42pm
I have always worn Arai helmets both dirt and street. Don't know how many concussions I've had but been nocked out cold 3 times. Last 2 times takes me a year or so too recover so haven't ridden since last one in 08... But if I'd o come back I will buy a 6d in less somthing else is out there that's better at the time.
I have a 3 and 4 year old that have oset's and race bmx. They wear a fly bmx/mountain bike helmet and if 6d had smaller bmx helmets they would have them.
People think there to much $$$ but tell you walk in my shoes/ head injures it's worth it. If I can't afford the best for my boys protection there not doing it.
willie838
10/26/2015 9:18pm
they didn't create 6d without having at least some testing done to show that the tech is valid.

the head is a funny thing, hit it this way, big problems- hit it harder another way, none.

the tech is an improvement and it's getting better and better as time goes along.
cwtoyota
10/26/2015 9:51pm
Spartacus wrote:
Seeing as there are only about 1000 variables in how you head may hit, the "I hit my head nine this/that helmet and therefore......" doesn't mean...
Seeing as there are only about 1000 variables in how you head may hit, the "I hit my head nine this/that helmet and therefore......" doesn't mean much to me. While imperfect, I'll take lab results any day over me/my friend/some pro/or my kid stories.

Yes, I agree... I like the saying: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence".

6D and Bell lab results are going to be better than a handful of personal stories in my opinion. An independent lab would be the best situation.

Starcrossed
10/26/2015 10:58pm
Dtat720 wrote:
Good topic, on the bmx side of racing, Donny Robinson is big on concussion awareness and has a ton of tedting and data research to go...
Good topic, on the bmx side of racing, Donny Robinson is big on concussion awareness and has a ton of tedting and data research to go along with his awareness project.

The biggest thing he talks about when it comes to helmets and concussions is that no one helmet is superior to another per se. Directional impacts and speeds result in different results. He is working with several top engineers and testing facilities to get a better understanding of what works in different scenarios. From the data he has to date, the 6d and the moto 9 flex are pretty much even in results. Arai and the moto 9 are the next level and shoei vf-x next. Peruse through his concussion discussion on vintagebmx or find him on facebook to get more of his info. I dont know of another rider out there who has been so extensive in researching this topic.
So Donny has compiled data indicating that the 6D and Moto 9 Flex helmets are at the top level, being "pretty much even in results. Arai and the Moto 9 are the next level, and Shoei VF-X next." However, "The biggest thing he talks about is that no one helmet is superior to another."
If one helmet is not better than another, why has he established three different levels? And those levels just address four of the numerous models of helmets available. Is he saying that the only factors that determine the severity of a head injury are the angle and force of the impact? What is the purpose of doing "a ton of testing and data research," if it is all to be disregarded in favor of the direction and speed theory? It's late, and I'm probably a little tired, but I just can't get my head around this one, haha. It has been my opinion that superior engineering, high quality materials, and attention to detail in construction, fit, and finish, all contribute to a higher quality helmet, thus reducing the likelihood of injury. Maybe I'll just throw a dart at the helmet page in one of my moto catalogues and purchase whichever one it hits.
smrscott
10/27/2015 12:05am
Listen to the thread from the get go.

Thousands and thousands of racers have crashed and did not get concussions and thousands have gotten concussions. It is part a sport that when you crash, the possibilities from a sudden stop increase, and when it involves your head, it can get serious.

6D has opened up a new world in helmet technology that has not really changed much in 30-40 years. Yes some materials have been added or altered, some testing standards and whatnot but the standard EPS liner with a cloth pad and some soft foam and an otter shell has not changed much.

So my point, No helmet can prevent a concussion if a rider lands on their head hard enough. The best way to prevent a concussion is stop riding. If a helmet can lessen the impact of a crash and decrease the number of overall concussions, this is a pure home run in my book.

But it amazes me that some point out if a rider has a hard get off and may have gotten a concussion wearing some of the new technology. I don't see posts when Joe average wearing most other brands or strange bargain bin lid from Billy Bobs house of cycles gets knocked out cold. Those are almost expected? I would image if they did, the board would called twowheel-concussions.com. Or if you want even more protection, expect to wear a helmet that is twice the size of what you wear now. Helping prevent or lessen the effects of a crash or hard impact to the head with with a few inches of protection is not an easy task, 6D has opened the doors to thinking outside the box and from what I have seen, and has done an awesome job thus far to address those slow to medium speed impacts that can cause some concussions and still have the same or slightly better protection or larger hits that we have had for decades. I think we will be seeing more helmet manufactures go in the 6D direction come up with another idea. So far Bell has a similar tech probably following what 6D has done.

Dtat720
10/27/2015 6:14am
http://theknockoutproject.org

This is Donny Robinsons page dealing with concussion studies. A lot of useful information on there from both experience and independent studies, along with manufacturer data. You can learn a lot reading this site.
Roscoe33
10/27/2015 6:30am Edited Date/Time 10/27/2015 8:30am
mx965 wrote:
There is a kid that lives around me who is currently in the hospital. He fell at a local track, I hear from people there he...
There is a kid that lives around me who is currently in the hospital. He fell at a local track, I hear from people there he did not fall that hard, got back on the bike rode a half a lap pulled off the track and passed out. He is in the hospital right now with major memory loss. He was also in a coma for a day I believe. With the RJ hampshire thing recently and the guy who posted in the other thread about concussions it got me thinking. I would like to hear if anyone else heard about concussions exclusively with this new helmet technology.
Start thinking a little bit more, You didn't see the crash yourself so don't know the speed or angle( there are 1000's of variables in a crash) but you believe the brand of helmet has a bigger variable in the result.

base you opinion on what you can touch and feel, not on internet hearsay.

how your helmet fits YOU and it's construction will make a far bigger impact in the protection.

Post a reply to: 6D concussions

The Latest