6 year old son wants a bike..

Edited Date/Time 11/12/2014 3:01pm
Sorry if this has been asked a million times but I am not sure wot bike to get my son for Xmas. As he is already 6 and a half I reckon a pw 50 wld prob not last him long so was swaying towards a crf 50 as they hav a 3 speed auto and look a bit bigger so shld last him a few years. However someone also said a Suzuki Dr 70 or sumthing wld do but I looked at them and they do look a wee bit bigger and wld prob be faster than crf 50? Thoughts please. Cheers
|
CCMX
11/11/2014 10:55am
2- KTM 50's, a trailer with living quarters, ride every single day and teach proper technique. Don't just race local, follow the fast crowd, make at least 3 amateur nationals a year. By the time he's 12 he will have raced half his life, and should be well on his way.

Your Welcome
Cygnus
11/11/2014 10:59am
Bought my 6 year old daughter a brand new xr50 in2002. Still runs as good as day 1. Will keep it and teach all the grand kids to ride on it.
Agfracing
11/11/2014 11:00am
A 250f should work. He won't outgrow it either.
Hman144
Fantasy
713th
11/11/2014 11:01am
If he can flat foot a Honda or TTR 50 and handle the wieght, go that route. They are heavier and taller than a PW, and subsequently will last an extra year or two for him.

You an always just keep it in first for a while 'til he gets the hang of it. Bring in shifting later.

If he's of small stature, go with the PW and resell when he outgrows it. You can probably even find a late model version used since other parents will be facing the same dilema as you.

H

The Shop

seth505
Fantasy
1271st
11/11/2014 11:02am
CCMX wrote:
2- KTM 50's, a trailer with living quarters, ride every single day and teach proper technique. Don't just race local, follow the fast crowd, make at...
2- KTM 50's, a trailer with living quarters, ride every single day and teach proper technique. Don't just race local, follow the fast crowd, make at least 3 amateur nationals a year. By the time he's 12 he will have raced half his life, and should be well on his way.

Your Welcome
"You're Welcome"

I assume you were hinting at him to home school the kid as well. Haha
LoudLove
11/11/2014 11:05am
Get him a set of golf clubs instead. Send me a "thank you" letter in the year 2030....
Mickolobe7
11/11/2014 12:05pm
I bought my son a pw50 when he turned 18 months old just to ride him around on it so he can get use to being on a motorcycle. I want him to get use to the speed and controls with me on the back. He just turned 2 last month and i let him ride by himself with full gear on and training wheels which I didn't want to put on but he has to learn throttle control. Every time we go out he learns something new. He rides by himself now.

How much experience does your son have. Has he ever rode a dirt bike? I have my son ride a Strider all the time.
I would say a crf 50 if he never rode before or a ktm 50.
11/11/2014 12:32pm
Mickolobe7 wrote:
I bought my son a pw50 when he turned 18 months old just to ride him around on it so he can get use to being...
I bought my son a pw50 when he turned 18 months old just to ride him around on it so he can get use to being on a motorcycle. I want him to get use to the speed and controls with me on the back. He just turned 2 last month and i let him ride by himself with full gear on and training wheels which I didn't want to put on but he has to learn throttle control. Every time we go out he learns something new. He rides by himself now.

How much experience does your son have. Has he ever rode a dirt bike? I have my son ride a Strider all the time.
Cheers for all the decent replys... He has little experience, been on an lt 50 a few times and is of average size of a 6 year old, certainly no bigger! Starting to ask me all the time bout riding when he sees me goin away most weekends, a wee shame so think Al need to bite the bullet. Anyone with any experience with Suzuki 70?
moscrop940
11/11/2014 12:37pm
LoudLove wrote:
Get him a set of golf clubs instead. Send me a "thank you" letter in the year 2030....
Literally took the words out of my mouth.

I met my wife and subsequently had our daughter because of moto, but other then that I wish like hell I would have listened to mom and took golf more seriously.

If my kids never rode anything over the occasional desert weekend, I can die a happy man
rmartin517
11/11/2014 12:37pm Edited Date/Time 11/11/2014 12:40pm
Crf 50 is a good one there are tons on things you can do to make them have better suspension and better motors at a fair price. Here is my 7 year olds with an 88cc kit and suspension. klx 110 weighs like 150lbs pretty heavy for a kid. Drz 70 not many upgrades. He will begin to put grow the mini bikes pretty quick. It's nice to be able to bolt on some upgraded.

pacman00
11/11/2014 12:39pm Edited Date/Time 11/11/2014 12:44pm
training wheels=bad habits. get him a stryder. then when he can ride a bicycle well its time for a dirtbike.

have him sit on some bikes and see what looks comfortable for him. if its just to have fun you cant go wrong with the small 4 strokes. any little bike thats not beaten into the ground can be resold easy. so you cant go wrong either way pw50 or 4 stroke.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
11/11/2014 1:05pm
CCMX wrote:
2- KTM 50's, a trailer with living quarters, ride every single day and teach proper technique. Don't just race local, follow the fast crowd, make at...

Your Welcome
seth505 wrote:
"You're Welcome"

I just nearly spit soda all over my monitor. Good one!
11/11/2014 1:16pm
Agfracing wrote:
A 250f should work. He won't outgrow it either.
Ye and u can powder coat it to death... Miby out on some of those colourful clown wheels
Boarddesign
Fantasy
2069th
11/11/2014 1:48pm
CCMX wrote:

Your Welcome
LOL!!

I was thinking, buy 2 Cobra Jr's and put a good 40hr's a month or more on them.

Thank us later.
hvaughn88
11/11/2014 1:51pm
rmartin517 wrote:
Crf 50 is a good one there are tons on things you can do to make them have better suspension and better motors at a fair...
Crf 50 is a good one there are tons on things you can do to make them have better suspension and better motors at a fair price. Here is my 7 year olds with an 88cc kit and suspension. klx 110 weighs like 150lbs pretty heavy for a kid. Drz 70 not many upgrades. He will begin to put grow the mini bikes pretty quick. It's nice to be able to bolt on some upgraded.

Dad doesn't ever hop on that thing for a spin every now and then does he??Wink
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1151st
11/11/2014 2:23pm
Mickolobe7 wrote:
I bought my son a pw50 when he turned 18 months old just to ride him around on it so he can get use to being...

Wow, my brother did exactly the same as you, even bought the PW when he was 18 months!!!
Just found out he probably isn't getting a 65... I need to find a new nephew.SadTongue

hvaughn88
11/11/2014 2:32pm
^that's so damn cool, ezza! I bet you are gonna enjoy the hell out of watching him ride!
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1151st
11/11/2014 2:51pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
^that's so damn cool, ezza! I bet you are gonna enjoy the hell out of watching him ride!
Cheers man, It was awesome, and I got to ride around with him on my CRF 50... He's nearly 9 now and just got off a Husky CR50. I think his dad wants him to surf though... Selfish prick Laughing

The PW is the go by the way.
CCMX
11/11/2014 2:55pm
CCMX wrote:

Your Welcome
seth505 wrote:
"You're Welcome"

Of course home schooling, how else can you ride 5 days a week. Besides that, you have to leave on Wednesday or Thursday lots of times to get to races, school officials don't like that, easier to go around it.

I don't have kids, but if I did, I would prefer home school over public school anyway, even if they didn't race.
11/11/2014 5:07pm
CRF 70, it's a little bit more room for him to grow into and still plenty of aftermarket parts for them.
1bigsave
11/11/2014 5:20pm
Pw50,its easy to ride,easy to buy,and easy to sell.
11/11/2014 5:40pm Edited Date/Time 4/3/2015 3:46am
1bigsave wrote:
Pw50,its easy to ride,easy to buy,and easy to sell.
smoker
11/11/2014 6:53pm
pacman00 wrote:
training wheels=bad habits. get him a stryder. then when he can ride a bicycle well its time for a dirtbike. have him sit on some bikes...
training wheels=bad habits. get him a stryder. then when he can ride a bicycle well its time for a dirtbike.

have him sit on some bikes and see what looks comfortable for him. if its just to have fun you cant go wrong with the small 4 strokes. any little bike thats not beaten into the ground can be resold easy. so you cant go wrong either way pw50 or 4 stroke.
I'm not saying his kid needs training wheels. But the training wheels = bad habits thing is so stupid. What are these bad habits they are learning?
11/11/2014 6:55pm Edited Date/Time 4/3/2015 3:47am
pacman00 wrote:
training wheels=bad habits. get him a stryder. then when he can ride a bicycle well its time for a dirtbike. have him sit on some bikes...

smoker wrote:
I'm not saying his kid needs training wheels. But the training wheels = bad habits thing is so stupid. What are these bad habits they are...
I'm not saying his kid needs training wheels. But the training wheels = bad habits thing is so stupid. What are these bad habits they are learning?
Cygnus
11/11/2014 6:57pm Edited Date/Time 11/11/2014 6:58pm
pacman00 wrote:

smoker wrote:
I'm not saying his kid needs training wheels. But the training wheels = bad habits thing is so stupid. What are these bad habits they are...
I've done it both ways and prefer to do no training wheels. They learn that the lean is exactly opposite of why the bike should do. While my grand daughter learned on a PW 50 with trainers it took a few rides and crashes on the crf 50 without them. To get the technique down. I don't think it was to bad either way. It just depends on how bad the kid want to ride before they can ride a two wheel bike.
Indy mxer
11/11/2014 7:14pm
pacman00 wrote:

Yes, I agree training wheels don't really help with balance.
When my son was 4 (many years ago) I bought him a Suzuki JR50. I told him he could ride it when he learned to ride his bike (no stryders back then). Within a day he was riding his small bmx bike without training wheels..
I'm a firm believer if a kid can't ride a bicycle, he has no business on something with a motor. They should learn balance first. I see too many kids go right to a motorcycle without learning to ride a bike. The result is usually not good.

But I do think stryders are a great way to teach them early.
As a matter of fact I'm getting one for my 8 month old grandson as soon as he gets old enough for one.
rmartin517
11/11/2014 7:25pm
rmartin517 wrote:
Crf 50 is a good one there are tons on things you can do to make them have better suspension and better motors at a fair...

hvaughn88 wrote:
lol. Sometimes but it has lower Mx bars all fit for him. It can with a big bar kit. I sold his Cobras and went with this. So it's his he doesn't want me on hit haha. Dad has his own bike l too.
rmartin517
11/11/2014 7:26pm Edited Date/Time 11/11/2014 7:27pm
rmartin517 wrote:

hvaughn88 wrote:
oops sorry for the double post.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
11/11/2014 7:52pm
Cheers for all the decent replys... He has little experience, been on an lt 50 a few times and is of average size of a 6...
Cheers for all the decent replys... He has little experience, been on an lt 50 a few times and is of average size of a 6 year old, certainly no bigger! Starting to ask me all the time bout riding when he sees me goin away most weekends, a wee shame so think Al need to bite the bullet. Anyone with any experience with Suzuki 70?
I have experience with the Suzuki 70. I also have a crf50 and ttr50.

The Suzuki is maybe a small amount bigger than the crf, it feels like it weighs a little more but they are all kinda heavy. It has e-start which is nice and a kickstarter, the ttr we have has no kickstarter which has let us down a few times the battery went dead.

The Suzuki is faster, it has a deeper sound and overall a great bike. In fact they are all great bikes even though the crf seems like the most dated bike. You might like the extra 20cc's to help the bike last longer if your kid starts really wringing it out.

Post a reply to: 6 year old son wants a bike..

The Latest