5 Minutes with... Steve Cox :-)

WORCSRacer
4/29/2010 8:55am
Grendel wrote:
I am not nor have I ever been Steve Cox.

That maybe true based on the order of voices in your head. So the question really is "Is Steve Cox or has Steve Cox ever been Grendel"
Grendel
4/29/2010 9:01am
Proving more and more that the backlash concerning the interview is less a criticism of Steve Cox's journalistic integrity and more about him showing people up on a message board.
4/29/2010 9:01am
sc961 wrote:
Cox is doing his job. If you like his style, read it. If you don't, don't read it. I have come to find that no matter...
Cox is doing his job.
If you like his style, read it.
If you don't, don't read it.

I have come to find that no matter what he does, or how he does it, there are going to be a number of people here that don't like it. That's OK, he probably doesn't like some of the things those people. Life's short, don't sweat the small stuff.

Anyone that can't see humor in the "5 min with Steve Cox" needs to lighten up A LOT.

See, that's the point, if the interviewer's "style" interferes so much it become bothering, it just isn't good interviewing.

Regis
Fantasy
292nd
4/29/2010 9:20am
Grendel wrote:
Proving more and more that the backlash concerning the interview is less a criticism of Steve Cox's journalistic integrity and more about him showing people up...
Proving more and more that the backlash concerning the interview is less a criticism of Steve Cox's journalistic integrity and more about him showing people up on a message board.
x2,000,0000.021458777

The Shop

DanDunes818
4/29/2010 9:28am
I thought this was an awesome approach to giving Steve back what he gave to Blake. Davey publicly berated Steve the same way Steve publicly berated Blake. For me at this point it's all water under the bridge. I know how Steve feels. In my job I have to comunicate through email allot and I come off as a dick in print when allot of the time that wasn't my intention. The difference is my job isn't a journalist ..lol . If you have a problem coming off as a dick in print when you don't intend to maybe you should have a different career?
Blake
4/29/2010 9:34am
This thread proves that message boarders are tougher than mx racers.

Wait, what?
4mxonly
4/29/2010 9:49am
DC wrote:
Man, tough crowd. Cancel your magazine subscription because a free internet interview went a little sideways? Was it really that godawful bad Huck? And Cox wasn't...
Man, tough crowd. Cancel your magazine subscription because a free internet interview went a little sideways? Was it really that godawful bad Huck?

And Cox wasn't winking, he was certainly aware of the fuss it caused and that he needs to approach these things with that in mind in the future. He takes his craft seriously. At least that's the feeling I got in grilling him a little myself.

DC
MX Sports
People are reading into this whole thing way too much, IMO -people made mistakes, move on.

In spite of my opinion though, seems like there are quite a few people here that are questioning the authenticity of Cox's apology (as well as comments left on the RacerX website). There is a lack of transparency in the text... something that could be remedied by a video interview. Furthermore, if you did the interview at RacerX, then I'm sure you could put a couple video cameras up and capture this interview. Also, people obviously follow and like to hear your opinion DC, as well as Coxs', so why not put the audience right there in the studio with you? Especially, when it's getting this much attention. Just thinking out loud.
txmxer
4/29/2010 9:50am
The SC 5 minutes does prove that Cox knows how to accomplish what he set out to accomplish. To allow/aid Blake in clearing his name. He did that.

He also acknowledged that he knew he might come off sounding like a dick. He did (IMO).

That's where the failure is. It is possible to ask tough questions with attacking or simply being argumentative.

It's like a musician that is technically perfect, but there is no emotion to the music and nobody really enjoys the performance. Cox is very bright and technically talented at writing, but, in interviews atleast, it's painful to read.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
4/29/2010 9:52am
DC wrote:
Man, tough crowd. Cancel your magazine subscription because a free internet interview went a little sideways? Was it really that godawful bad Huck? And Cox wasn't...
Man, tough crowd. Cancel your magazine subscription because a free internet interview went a little sideways? Was it really that godawful bad Huck?

And Cox wasn't winking, he was certainly aware of the fuss it caused and that he needs to approach these things with that in mind in the future. He takes his craft seriously. At least that's the feeling I got in grilling him a little myself.

DC
MX Sports
Dont bother bro, youre fighting a losing war. Nobody can do anything right with Huck.

I liked the interview, it showed Blake has some balls to sack up and answer the questions.
Devil1nNj
4/29/2010 9:55am
The first interview was way to redundant.
I think RacerX handled it, and did it with a bit of humor, which was funny.
I liked it, and although it was done a little differently, we got to the end that was needed - It was a racing incident, and Blake had no ill intent.
Race on!
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
4/29/2010 10:48am
Grendel wrote:
Proving more and more that the backlash concerning the interview is less a criticism of Steve Cox's journalistic integrity and more about him showing people up...
The funny part is, I don't think he's posted here for months. Smile
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
4/29/2010 10:56am
Grendel wrote:
if you truely feel that way, why dont you check out the comments left on the interview page. I dont think all of the people who told Cox what a shit interview it was were vital members
Grendel
4/29/2010 11:06am
Read them in the initial interview and stand by my assessment.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
4/29/2010 11:07am
Grendel wrote:
so you do think the majority of people on RX are vital members with different names?
sc961
4/29/2010 11:09am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:29pm
sc961 wrote:
Cox is doing his job. If you like his style, read it. If you don't, don't read it. I have come to find that no matter...
Cox is doing his job.
If you like his style, read it.
If you don't, don't read it.

I have come to find that no matter what he does, or how he does it, there are going to be a number of people here that don't like it. That's OK, he probably doesn't like some of the things those people. Life's short, don't sweat the small stuff.

Anyone that can't see humor in the "5 min with Steve Cox" needs to lighten up A LOT.

brakkeman_ wrote:
See, that's the point, if the interviewer's "style" interferes so much it become bothering, it just isn't good interviewing.

I'm not arguing one way or the other on that point. We don't get to grade his effort. All I said was if you don't like it, don't read it.

It's not that big of deal, at least for me... and to those that are bagging on Racer X for the 5 min with Cox, find something important to complain about.
4/29/2010 11:12am Edited Date/Time 4/29/2010 11:13am
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports
4mxonly wrote:
People are reading into this whole thing way too much, IMO -people made mistakes, move on. In spite of my opinion though, seems like there are...
People are reading into this whole thing way too much, IMO -people made mistakes, move on.

In spite of my opinion though, seems like there are quite a few people here that are questioning the authenticity of Cox's apology (as well as comments left on the RacerX website). There is a lack of transparency in the text... something that could be remedied by a video interview. Furthermore, if you did the interview at RacerX, then I'm sure you could put a couple video cameras up and capture this interview. Also, people obviously follow and like to hear your opinion DC, as well as Coxs', so why not put the audience right there in the studio with you? Especially, when it's getting this much attention. Just thinking out loud.
Authenticity? Maybe it had to do with the laughing before some of the answers, so that it seemed to be a big joke to both of them.
Friday
4/29/2010 11:13am Edited Date/Time 4/29/2010 11:14am
So who was Davey talking to in the racer X interview? "Thanks for talking,Blake."Tongue
DC
4/29/2010 11:23am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:29pm
Gang, comedy and especially sarcasm is not nearly as funny when you have to explain it, but in this case....

I was talking to Steve, over the phone, and I was reading off my monitor the questions he had asked Blake, but tweaking them to fit for his interview as the subject itself, rather than the crash. Again, the point was to put him on the hot seat for a little bit, and any laughing he did [Laughs] was of the nervous kind, because I don't think he realized at first what I was doing (I am on the other side of the country, and we did not plan the deal, I just wanted to do it).

Once he figured it out and seemed to understand the point, I finished by calling him Blake, which was my own little joke, totally unnecessary... Like this whole explanation, I guess.

Maybe if that part was on video, it would have been more obvious.

DC

MX Sports
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4434th
4/29/2010 11:23am
Crush wrote:
Steve doesn't have to apologise for anything... Blake and FC wanted the interview and he is quite right, if there was a bunch of snoozey easy...
Steve doesn't have to apologise for anything... Blake and FC wanted the interview and he is quite right, if there was a bunch of snoozey easy questions then Blake really wouldn't have gotten off...

As it is, yeah the interview might have sounded a little harsh, but the more important point is that Blake, at 17 or 18, manned up, admitted he made a fuck up, apologised and is looking to move on...

Maybe some of you bitches should do the same...
Ok. Then ask the question once and, since you don't have anything else of value to ask, print "1 minute with Blake Wharton".
Friday
4/29/2010 11:46am
DC wrote:
Gang, comedy and especially sarcasm is not nearly as funny when you have to explain it, but in this case.... I was talking to Steve, over...
Gang, comedy and especially sarcasm is not nearly as funny when you have to explain it, but in this case....

I was talking to Steve, over the phone, and I was reading off my monitor the questions he had asked Blake, but tweaking them to fit for his interview as the subject itself, rather than the crash. Again, the point was to put him on the hot seat for a little bit, and any laughing he did [Laughs] was of the nervous kind, because I don't think he realized at first what I was doing (I am on the other side of the country, and we did not plan the deal, I just wanted to do it).

Once he figured it out and seemed to understand the point, I finished by calling him Blake, which was my own little joke, totally unnecessary... Like this whole explanation, I guess.

Maybe if that part was on video, it would have been more obvious.

DC

MX Sports
I got it all and found it quite humorous,sans the Blake part at the end. I think many of us took the interview too far.I know Steve from talking to him at the track and like him just fine. Seems like a good guy "at the track". In interviews but especially here on the web? Not so much.So I'm sure the know-it-all, I'm never-wrong thing, that we saw here for so long taints our perspective. I think he went too far in grilling Blake and beating a dead horse but Blake came out a champ and schooled Steve on how to apologize and take it like a man. Trey is a class act too so we all got some insight into 4 guys. Trey,Blake,Steve and DC. All seem very human as far as I can tell and all seem to live for our sport. Can't be all bad. Cool
flarider
4/29/2010 11:56am
Lose - lose situation
Don't ask tough questions, you're caving in to the factories and being an industry shill.
Ask tough questions and be tough on a rider, you're being a dick and mistreating the riders
4/29/2010 12:01pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2010 12:03pm
flarider wrote:
Lose - lose situation Don't ask tough questions, you're caving in to the factories and being an industry shill. Ask tough questions and be tough on...
Lose - lose situation
Don't ask tough questions, you're caving in to the factories and being an industry shill.
Ask tough questions and be tough on a rider, you're being a dick and mistreating the riders
Ask the hard question and get the answer then move on and its all good.

Ask the same question over and over again just reworded to make the rider look like a dick and then you're being a dick.
Friday
4/29/2010 12:03pm
flarider wrote:
Lose - lose situation Don't ask tough questions, you're caving in to the factories and being an industry shill. Ask tough questions and be tough on...
Lose - lose situation
Ask the hard question and get the answer then move on and its all good. Ask the same question over and over again just reworded to...
Ask the hard question and get the answer then move on and its all good.

Ask the same question over and over again just reworded to make the rider look like a dick and then you're being a dick.
Agreed.Pretty simple social skills.
Racer92
4/29/2010 12:05pm
flarider wrote:
Lose - lose situation
Grendel
4/29/2010 12:06pm
Grendel wrote:
so you do think the majority of people on RX are vital members with different names?
I think the majority of the people bashing on Cox in that specific comments section are people who have dealt with him on a message board.

And obviously the more vocal people in this thread (yourself included) are just being petty and spiteful.
4/29/2010 12:09pm
DC's interview knocked Cox right out of the press box. I don't think Cox expected his own team mate would pull a sharp "write" into his "lines" and send Cox flying into the padded office carpet. Cox had the chance to pull off one of the most brilliant one on one telephone interviews in MX/SX history! Instead DC pulled a Wharton move. Cox just has to dust himself off and get ready for next week.
4/29/2010 12:09pm
Grendel wrote:
Grendel wrote:
I think the majority of the people bashing on Cox in that specific comments section are people who have dealt with him on a message board...
I think the majority of the people bashing on Cox in that specific comments section are people who have dealt with him on a message board.

And obviously the more vocal people in this thread (yourself included) are just being petty and spiteful.
I am reading a lot of the same "bashing" on Cox on different boards. I have never dealt with him on a message board.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
4/29/2010 12:19pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:29pm
Grendel wrote:
Grendel wrote:
I think the majority of the people bashing on Cox in that specific comments section are people who have dealt with him on a message board...

So im petty and spiteful for thinking he did a horrible interview.
What does that make you for liking his interview? It is already well established that youre a Cox brown noser. As far as me being vocal, remember I have 4 posts on this topic, you have 6
MX45
4/29/2010 12:25pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2010 12:27pm
I'd like to see a jlaw interview with the same approach.

And I thought putting Steve on the spot was funny and it was DC's way of publicly addressing the original interview. He got his wrist slapped at the end.

Post a reply to: 5 Minutes with... Steve Cox :-)

The Latest