450 Format Favors Factory Riders

Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1666th
Edited Date/Time 1/16/2015 8:57pm
I know many privateers that normally make a main now don't even come close. We can all speculate why, but I think it's the semis now involved favors better start and more horse power (hence a start) where is before by taking the top 10 allowed a privateer to race forward through the field and make the cut for the main. As a fan this sucks, but as the racer, they probably like to eliminate lappers in the main. So after see a few post on here on this topic, it appears the privateers we cheer for have less of a chance to make it in a supercross event truthfully. This causes me much grief and dismay.

|
hvaughn88
1/15/2015 10:54am
Go back and look at the guys that are lining up in the 450 class and then look at the number of gate positions that are available for the main. It's competitive.
Trav138
1/15/2015 11:06am
I disagree, as a fan i want the fastest riders in the main.
Riders have three chances to make the main, should be no excuses.
I enjoy the semis, more racing is a good thing imo.

Now some of the qualifying practices will favor the A practices, due to the track breakng down somewhat throughout the day. Although nothing compared to the Nationals where the privateers get less than ideal track conditions haha. The fast riders will rise up and eventually make it into the fast qualifying sessions.
Olson
1/15/2015 11:10am
Just look at Barcias incredible start from Houston main. Said to be the strongest bike out there. Horse powah is not erryting.
haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
1/15/2015 11:25am
I think if you ask a privateer or a small team what they prefer they'd say the semi format is good. If only for the fact that it gives some of these guys the opportunity to run up front and get a bit of TV time. Guys like Moss, and Albertson won Semis last year and got great TV time and exposure while making the main. Do you think anybody would have been watching them battle for 8th and 9th in the heat race to get the same result.

The other thing going against the privateers is I can count 7 "factory" teams all running 2 riders each, throw in guys like Anderson Hill and Tomac on factory bikes, also Weimer, Albertson, Wey and Alessi all pitting out of semis on big teams and you see where your logic ihas a few big flaws.

The Shop

1/15/2015 11:35am
There are 2 more spots available in the main with the new format. I don't see anyone at a disadvantage because of it, except maybe for a rider going through the LCQ not being in shape.

There are just more fast guys than before, that's why the true privateers are struggling to qualify.
The Rock
1/15/2015 11:42am
I respect your opinion but respectfully disagree.

There are two more chances for riders to make the main with a 22 rider field.
Lapper issues didn't increase when the field expanded to 22 riders either.
The return of the Semis provides an additional opportunity to learn the track as well as another shot at getting TV time.

My take is welcome to the 450 big leagues. If you can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1666th
1/15/2015 11:45am
You all make valid points, I guess the increase of fast riders is not bad and more competitive racing for us come to main event. Just hope this does not discourage some of the people coming up through the ranks. Not convinced the Arenacross should be the road to supercross either. The night is already packed, but I still like the idea of amatear racing that Monster incorporated into their event.
GUS.975
1/15/2015 11:47am
The only way it favors factory guys is they have a mechanic to help them get ready in the shorter time to do the 3 qualifying races (if they need to go to LCQ) otherwise the privateer will have to prep his bike 3 times possibly, and a fourth if they make the main.
1/15/2015 11:52am
Moto_Geek wrote:
I know many privateers that normally make a main now don't even come close. We can all speculate why, but I think it's the semis now...
I know many privateers that normally make a main now don't even come close. We can all speculate why, but I think it's the semis now involved favors better start and more horse power (hence a start) where is before by taking the top 10 allowed a privateer to race forward through the field and make the cut for the main. As a fan this sucks, but as the racer, they probably like to eliminate lappers in the main. So after see a few post on here on this topic, it appears the privateers we cheer for have less of a chance to make it in a supercross event truthfully. This causes me much grief and dismay.

lol just look at the riders who make it in the mains... they are all pretty much "big" names. The privateers would have to beat them still if it was a 2 heat 1 lcq format, and i dont think that would happen.

Also, you could just look at the finisging results from tge first 2 heats and "pretend"" the first 9 made it into the main. Ill bet money its the same people that would make rge main in the current format.

The field is just too stacked this sseason, no way around it.

Still funny to me though no matter how good supercross is, someone will ALWAYS find something to complain about. Get over it, at least were not watching the same guy win every weekend
Rotaholic
1/15/2015 11:57am
It benefits the privateers, factory riders have their own supercross track they can ride all week long, the privateers don't have that luxury and the more time they get to ride an actual track the better their race craft becomes.
Privateers to me are the Jamaican bobsled team
mag23
1/15/2015 12:16pm
Lots of good guys in the class! I just hope they catch on to the Nascar thought that everybody in the race is a real badass, and not just the winner. If you make the main in the 450 class right now, that's a damn good accomplishment in itself.
Skippie
1/15/2015 12:18pm
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't pity the privateers one bit. Do I respect and admire the guys who put their heart and soul and money into it? Hell yeah I do! But am I worried about Factory riders having an advantage, no. These guys knew what profession they were getting into, knew the money involved, knew the odds of landing a factory ride, and also they know the fact that Factory riders simply have more resources. If it becomes too much for you, sorry time to pack it up and go get a job.
mmain62
1/15/2015 12:19pm
I like the format because it means the guys in the Main are the 22 fastest dudes on that track on that day. Does anyone else notice that the top 3 isnt lapping up to 5th anymore, thats how fast these guys are. Personally IMO I think the racing is a ton better.
BroFoSho
1/15/2015 1:26pm
I think it just favors strong starters and sprinters a little more.
With less laps in the heat/semi that the old heat races you've gotta get out front fast and sprint.
zehn
1/15/2015 1:33pm
BroFoSho wrote:
I think it just favors strong starters and sprinters a little more. With less laps in the heat/semi that the old heat races you've gotta get...
I think it just favors strong starters and sprinters a little more.
With less laps in the heat/semi that the old heat races you've gotta get out front fast and sprint.
This is the only thing that bothers me about the new format. My favorite non-factory rider (Ben Lamay) has never been a good starter but has been able to make the mains in the past. He's missed both mains this year because of his poor starts in his races.
Skippie
1/15/2015 1:56pm Edited Date/Time 1/15/2015 1:57pm
zehn wrote:
This is the only thing that bothers me about the new format. My favorite non-factory rider (Ben Lamay) has never been a good starter but has...
This is the only thing that bothers me about the new format. My favorite non-factory rider (Ben Lamay) has never been a good starter but has been able to make the mains in the past. He's missed both mains this year because of his poor starts in his races.
Again, that's the riders fault. its time to train more and work on intensity and sprinting. You can't blame the format for lack of successs
1/15/2015 3:04pm Edited Date/Time 1/15/2015 3:06pm
zehn wrote:
This is the only thing that bothers me about the new format. My favorite non-factory rider (Ben Lamay) has never been a good starter but has...
Yea, but whos to say he would have made them if it was the other format. The class is literally stacked to the teeth, pretty much every rider on the gate in the main is a factory/support rider (AKA guys that are expected to be making main events).

And also, this isnt the boy scouts... theres money on the line, you cant just be giving away main event qualifying positions because you like the underdogs
The Rock
1/15/2015 3:56pm
I know of at a least one top factory rider in the 450 class that wasn't thrilled with the switch back to the semis either.

I believe it affords the privateers more track and potential TV time and is why I am a fan of this format.
Crush
1/15/2015 4:09pm
Field's deep bro
TeamGreen
1/15/2015 4:24pm
The Rock wrote:
[i]I know of at a least one top factory rider in the 450 class [/i]that wasn't thrilled with the switch back to the semis either. I...
I know of at a least one top factory rider in the 450 class that wasn't thrilled with the switch back to the semis either.

I believe it affords the privateers more track and potential TV time and is why I am a fan of this format.
5 separate races to qualify riders for the main. By the time you get to the LCQ you've already had 2 races/2 gates. More Opportunity.

I help a few 3 digit guys. It's this simple: you need a good start and you need to be within 3-4 seconds/lap compared to the Fast Qualifier if you want to get anywhere. 4-6 seconds off of the fastest lap gets ya in the show...that's a starting point (the night show).

Here's my bitchy-whinny-complaint: IF you get in the Main? KEEP YOUR ASS ON THE LEAD LAP!
(Ahem...Partridge?! I'm a fan; but, STOP PULLING OVER! Jus' take a different line and keep it going. REPRESENT! Get your laps in during the week. You obviously have "it"...USE "IT"!)

The next "New-Guys" in the main should be Chisholm and Davalos. They WILL be on the Lead-Lap.

Ok, I'm done ranting.
TheCRKid
1/15/2015 4:37pm
Its excellent that they are running the semi again
More Fast guys Racing the semi
mxfiend
1/15/2015 4:52pm
Moto_Geek wrote:
I know many privateers that normally make a main now don't even come close. We can all speculate why, but I think it's the semis now...

i think professional racing in any facet favors the factory guys nothing new here.
gt80rider
1/15/2015 5:21pm
It used to be easier to make a 450 main than a 250... I say this because the lap times of 10-20 place in the 450 class were normally slower than 10-20 in the 250... This year is more loaded all the way back to 20th than i have ever seen.... This is partially due to lack of injuries and partially due to several key 250 nutn up and going to a 450... If you are a privateer, you have almost no chance of making a 450 main this year..
struth
1/15/2015 5:49pm
Aj cantazo, never thought he would make a main, let alone win a lcq.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
1/15/2015 6:32pm
Olson wrote:
Just look at Barcias incredible start from Houston main. Said to be the strongest bike out there. Horse powah is not erryting.
What are you talking about?
vetmxr
1/15/2015 6:32pm
So do we tell the fast guys to slow down, or do we tell the slower guys to speed up? They all line up and even the superstars were nobodies at one time, just got ride your ass off and make a name for yourself, if the speed isn't there, do like 99% of motocrossers in america do and get a job so you can moto stress free and no one cares how you did on Sunday or how fast you think you are. Ask me how I know this. Smile
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
1/15/2015 6:51pm
Moto_Geek wrote:

I'm not sure how the format would affect them. They get three rounds (heats, semis, and the LCQ) to make it. Also, in the last couple years the lineup has been expanded to 22 riders on the gate, rather than 20.

You also have a fairly healthy field at the moment. That has as much to do with how tough it is to make the main as anything else.
Flip109
1/15/2015 7:42pm
Skippie wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't pity the privateers one bit. Do I respect and admire the guys who put their...
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't pity the privateers one bit. Do I respect and admire the guys who put their heart and soul and money into it? Hell yeah I do! But am I worried about Factory riders having an advantage, no. These guys knew what profession they were getting into, knew the money involved, knew the odds of landing a factory ride, and also they know the fact that Factory riders simply have more resources. If it becomes too much for you, sorry time to pack it up and go get a job.
Exactly how I see it
Moto75
1/15/2015 9:13pm
They've actually gone back to the old format, never liked it when they eliminated semis. I agree with you, harder for slower riders to make the main. But, I want to see the best riders on the gate when it drops for the main. Everyone can get a bad start, semis give the opportunity to get a bad one. When the semi's were eliminated, I thought they needed to take a couple less from the heats & 4 more from the lcq. The lcq's were getting enough top riders that there just wasn't enough spots available.
JB 19
1/15/2015 9:27pm Edited Date/Time 1/15/2015 9:28pm
I don't agree with the logic.........and, Andrew Short seemed to be getting decent starts 3 years ago when he was riding that stock engined 3 legged dog Honda.

Post a reply to: 450 Format Favors Factory Riders

The Latest