350 holeshot sweep at Jacksonville

Roscoe33
3/21/2011 4:32pm
Roscoe33 wrote:
I hope you don't really think KTM is just in the USA and only 2 riders are doing R& D on the new bike. This might...
I hope you don't really think KTM is just in the USA and only 2 riders are doing R& D on the new bike.

This might surprise you but there a races outside of the US.

good job # 800
BD49 wrote:
Not any that matter. Wink
WE are talking about 2 different worlds.... indoors and outdoors

indoors very little R&D from SX so far...

outdoors.... there is a wealth of data from many different riders and countries.... winning tends to do that, not that it matters.
chrisbuehler
3/21/2011 5:21pm
MDMCG wrote:
and Dungey will get his ass beat when he's on a 350. He can barely break into the top 3 on one of the best bikes...
and Dungey will get his ass beat when he's on a 350. He can barely break into the top 3 on one of the best bikes in the world.
Yeah just 8 podiums this year. Try again
jwhitemx15
3/21/2011 5:23pm
I think the holeshot sweep at Jax just proves the theory that the brake is on the LEFT side of the bike on the 350's!!!! Tongue
cpj36
3/21/2011 7:18pm
That ain't AC's 350, actually has to be 350cc in the US. Not that anyone across the pond would do anything different, even though a larger displaced 350 makes a much better looking 350, nobody could tell either way and it would be within rules to do so.

Why not ride the 350 and work harder, especially when everyone thinks it's not really a 350 anyway?

The Shop

Faceaz
3/21/2011 8:18pm
cpj36 wrote:
That ain't AC's 350, actually has to be 350cc in the US. Not that anyone across the pond would do anything different, even though a larger...
That ain't AC's 350, actually has to be 350cc in the US. Not that anyone across the pond would do anything different, even though a larger displaced 350 makes a much better looking 350, nobody could tell either way and it would be within rules to do so.

Why not ride the 350 and work harder, especially when everyone thinks it's not really a 350 anyway?
I think it's actually the minority that think KTM is lying to everyone & secretly running a larger displacement in the Euro Bikes. Tell me, how does a "larger displaced 350 makes a much better looking 350"?

One of the main points of a 350 is it will be less tiring over the course of a moto, what makes you think you'de end up working harder?

something tells me I completely wasting my time with this & probably dealing with a 12 yr old on the other side of the keyboard.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
3/21/2011 10:25pm
evo wrote:
Thats right, it happened, the monkey is off its back in a big way!!
RMZ819 wrote:
The bike just needs a rider that can win now.
When MA800 was out front leading the race, I was just thinking "the power (or lack of) on bike isn't holding them back at all". I have always thought that the 350 engine would be really good at getting the power to the ground on a SX track. These KTMs can rev forever and I definitely don't believe the lack of 100 CCs is hurting the bike in +95% sections of the track.

But that said, go watch both Alessi and Shorty in the whoops section. They sucked in them (MA usually isn't strong in them so forget him, but that's not Shorty's excuse he's usually been fine in them). Either their suspension settings were jacked or they just couldn't get the drive out of that corner going into them to get enough speed up. RC said they needed to be wide open in 4th going into the whoops. I could see that being a problem for the 350 compared to riding a 450. Again, I couldn't tell if it was a power issue coming out of the turn or a suspension issue. But that was the only part of that track where they gave up ground to the 450s.

All in all, I'm pretty damn impressed with the bike. One of the top 5 current riders on that bike would still be a top 5 rider for sure.
Bulldog
3/22/2011 4:24am
"Those long outdoor starts is where it will hurt. Then people can continue to point out when either of them gets a halfway decent start and claim the 350 is just as fast as a 450."

So if the 350 is going to be slow in the outdoors, especially off the gate, then how do we explain RV on a 250cc bike at the 2007 Moto des Nations (Budds Creek) with his holeshot(s)? At least one moto was against 450 riders to include RC. So if having 200cc less in your motor is good than having 100cc less is better? Not sure, but if RV bested the world in two motos on Kawasaki KX250F against larger displacement bikes at the Motocross of Nations then it is just a matter of time before a KTM mounted rider will win on a 350? Put the right rider on the right bike and he will win...

jleews6
3/22/2011 5:01am
Those starts were all Mike...he was on it.
I agree, it had nothing to do with the fact that the start was about 100 ftWink . Mike might have been about the same spot on a 250.
cpj36
3/22/2011 6:15am
Bulldog wrote:
[i]"Those long outdoor starts is where it will hurt. Then people can continue to point out when either of them gets a halfway decent start and...
"Those long outdoor starts is where it will hurt. Then people can continue to point out when either of them gets a halfway decent start and claim the 350 is just as fast as a 450."

So if the 350 is going to be slow in the outdoors, especially off the gate, then how do we explain RV on a 250cc bike at the 2007 Moto des Nations (Budds Creek) with his holeshot(s)? At least one moto was against 450 riders to include RC. So if having 200cc less in your motor is good than having 100cc less is better? Not sure, but if RV bested the world in two motos on Kawasaki KX250F against larger displacement bikes at the Motocross of Nations then it is just a matter of time before a KTM mounted rider will win on a 350? Put the right rider on the right bike and he will win...

RV at Budds, as well as every 125 or 250f rider that turns 450 times has been covered over and over,

The smaller bike will go down a hill or into a corner faster, but get beat coming out or uphill. RV had RC's gate pic and it was a 180 first turn, on top of that he was able to get out front and run whatever lines he wanted. So, like the 350 0n occasion, he just didnt have to slow down as much going into such a tight corner.

What do you think would happen if he had only a decent start and found himself on the inside of a 450 coming out of one of those corners going uphill?

Still a great ride but there's a reason nobody wants to be on a 250f or 250 2 stk in the 450 class, and there's also a reason the 350 wasn't made until there was supposed to be a 350cc class.
cpj36
3/22/2011 6:29am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2011 6:34am
Faceaz wrote:
I think it's actually the minority that think KTM is lying to everyone & secretly running a larger displacement in the Euro Bikes. Tell me, how...
I think it's actually the minority that think KTM is lying to everyone & secretly running a larger displacement in the Euro Bikes. Tell me, how does a "larger displaced 350 makes a much better looking 350"?

One of the main points of a 350 is it will be less tiring over the course of a moto, what makes you think you'de end up working harder?

something tells me I completely wasting my time with this & probably dealing with a 12 yr old on the other side of the keyboard.
We'll just ignore that fact that nobody else on the line thinks it'll compete with a field of the best 450 riders in the world, everything suggest it's closer to a 250 2 stk than 450 and the fact that it doesn't actually have to be 350cc, and you can just tell me why it somehow took the prospect of a 350cc class to bring us something that's supposedly better in the 450 class.

BTW, you do know that adding power to the 350 will actually make it handle better right?

So I dont actually care why they wouldnt take advantage of the rules they dont have in Europe, I just want to know why this incredible machine was developed for a 350cc class instead of the 450.
Faceaz
3/22/2011 7:01am
Faceaz wrote:
I think it's actually the minority that think KTM is lying to everyone & secretly running a larger displacement in the Euro Bikes. Tell me, how...

cpj36 wrote:
We'll just ignore that fact that nobody else on the line thinks it'll compete with a field of the best 450 riders in the world, everything...
We'll just ignore that fact that nobody else on the line thinks it'll compete with a field of the best 450 riders in the world, everything suggest it's closer to a 250 2 stk than 450 and the fact that it doesn't actually have to be 350cc, and you can just tell me why it somehow took the prospect of a 350cc class to bring us something that's supposedly better in the 450 class.

BTW, you do know that adding power to the 350 will actually make it handle better right?

So I dont actually care why they wouldnt take advantage of the rules they dont have in Europe, I just want to know why this incredible machine was developed for a 350cc class instead of the 450.
I'm sure you can back this all up with facts right. Can you post up interviews or statements from everyone else on the line? Your so good & speaking for all of them, bet your personal friends with all of them too.

So earlier you made a statement that most believe KTM is not running 350 in Europe, now you say you don't care why the wouldn't.

A total waste of time.
cpj36
3/22/2011 7:24am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2011 7:25am
Faceaz wrote:
I'm sure you can back this all up with facts right. Can you post up interviews or statements from everyone else on the line? Your so...
I'm sure you can back this all up with facts right. Can you post up interviews or statements from everyone else on the line? Your so good & speaking for all of them, bet your personal friends with all of them too.

So earlier you made a statement that most believe KTM is not running 350 in Europe, now you say you don't care why the wouldn't.

A total waste of time.
What I don't care about is why you would assume they're running a 350 when they don't have to, I was just keeping it simple for you and asking why the 350 and all off it's "advantage" was desgned for the 350 class?

See where I'm going with this? It was made for a 350cc class that didn't pan out, now higher cost, less power and more rpm is being spun into an advantage of some sort in the 450 class, we could have used this magnificence before FIM thought lower cost 250 2 stks were more equal to 350cc 4 stks than 450's.

And the opinions from riders and various others you ask for are out there, easy to find if you really care.
Faceaz
3/22/2011 8:21am
Like I said, a waste of time.

There are people here that have valid debates about the 350 / 450, one with you isn't.
RMZ819
3/22/2011 8:34am
RMZ819 wrote:
The bike just needs a rider that can win now.
muGz.147 wrote:
RD will be re-united with RD real soon....Woohoo
MDMCG wrote:
and Dungey will get his ass beat when he's on a 350. He can barely break into the top 3 on one of the best bikes...
and Dungey will get his ass beat when he's on a 350. He can barely break into the top 3 on one of the best bikes in the world.
Dungey would be the same no matter what bike he rides. He will beat the same guys he is beating now and lose to the same guys.

Short is also riding one of the best bike in the world as you say and he is beating the same guys he beat last yr on that 450 Honda and is also losing to the same guys that beat him last yr while he was riding a 450 Honda..
mccread
3/22/2011 9:21am
Faceaz wrote:
I'm sure you can back this all up with facts right. Can you post up interviews or statements from everyone else on the line? Your so...

A total waste of time.
cpj36 wrote:
What I don't care about is why you would assume they're running a 350 when they don't have to, I was just keeping it simple for...
What I don't care about is why you would assume they're running a 350 when they don't have to, I was just keeping it simple for you and asking why the 350 and all off it's "advantage" was desgned for the 350 class?

See where I'm going with this? It was made for a 350cc class that didn't pan out, now higher cost, less power and more rpm is being spun into an advantage of some sort in the 450 class, we could have used this magnificence before FIM thought lower cost 250 2 stks were more equal to 350cc 4 stks than 450's.

And the opinions from riders and various others you ask for are out there, easy to find if you really care.
Stefan Everts designed the 350...for the 450 class, easier to ride especially for guys coming from MX2.

It worked...they won the World title and are selling loads.

End of Arguement.
ATKpilot99
3/22/2011 9:26am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2011 9:35am
Faceaz wrote:

A total waste of time.
cpj36 wrote:
What I don't care about is why you would assume they're running a 350 when they don't have to, I was just keeping it simple for...

mccread wrote:
Stefan Everts designed the 350...for the 450 class, easier to ride especially for guys coming from MX2. It worked...they won the World title and are selling...
Stefan Everts designed the 350...for the 450 class, easier to ride especially for guys coming from MX2.

End of Arguement.
Stefan Everts helped develop the 350, he didn't design it. And I'm pretty sure it was on the drawing board when there was talk of creating a 350 class. Obviously it's a competitive bike against 450s.
cpj36
3/22/2011 9:46am
Faceaz wrote:
Like I said, a waste of time.

There are people here that have valid debates about the 350 / 450, one with you isn't.
I guess that means you have no answer? Didn't think so,because yours can only be a valid point if there wasn't a hand full of guys that can use all of a 450 and it's pretty hard to justify a bike that cost more to start with, weighs the same, makes less power and turns more rpm. A 250f is easier to ride too but not so easy to race against equal talent on a larger bike.

What's invalid about asking why we had to wait for the 350cc class to get what some say is better than a 450?
cpj36
3/22/2011 9:49am
mccread wrote:
Stefan Everts designed the 350...for the 450 class, easier to ride especially for guys coming from MX2. It worked...they won the World title and are selling...

End of Arguement.
Don't think so, KTM got jerked around with the 350cc class just like they got screwed with the 144 in 125.
lumpy790
3/22/2011 9:58am
So what changed this week that got 800 pulling hole shots like the 800 of old?

Could it be that when the West coast lites rider did it at Daytona 800 started trying a little harder? Did Decoster give $ome holeshot incentive?
DrSweden
3/22/2011 10:11am
If Everts and DeCoster believes in the 350 I'm on!

It's not that these two guys are clueless and that some whatever person here on the forum has figured things all out is it? Sure one could have an opinion, and coincidence might make it the right one in the end, but we are all clueless. T

he 350 has it's pro and cons, but the overall package seems to makes sense as long as Roger and Stefan says so! Smile
thekendogg
3/22/2011 11:51am
IMO, I think it's only a matter of time before the 350 becomes a true force to be reckoned with. Considering it's only been professionally raced for little over 12 months, they have made monumental steps. The bike developed in Europe obviously had to be significantly altered for racing in the US to comply with the stricter rules and regulations, and the team could finally be developing the bike close to its potential. This is why we have seen Shorty and Alessi improving their results.

Remember back in the late 90s that Yamaha were developing the 400? How long did that take before it actually became truly competitive. I realise that back then they were not only changing cc but also stroke, but like the 350 it was an all new bike which has led to the dominance of 450s.

And cpj36, I don't even understand what you are talking about. KTM developed this bike to race AGAINST 450 bikes in the same class. They believe that there is an "optimum" engine capacity for racing, and believe that the 350 is this.

I believe that at the top level of racing, the top factory bikes are very similar. At that level a rider's ability is the main influence on results. We seen this when RC jumped ship from the dominant Honda to Suzuki, which at that time was seen as a weaker bike. Yet RC was still able to win and dominate the racing.
mccread
3/22/2011 11:53am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2011 11:54am
mccread wrote:

End of Arguement.
cpj36 wrote:
Don't think so, KTM got jerked around with the 350cc class just like they got screwed with the 144 in 125.
Wow, you're dumb.
DPW
3/22/2011 11:59am
thekendogg wrote:
IMO, I think it's only a matter of time before the 350 becomes a true force to be reckoned with. Considering it's only been professionally raced...
IMO, I think it's only a matter of time before the 350 becomes a true force to be reckoned with. Considering it's only been professionally raced for little over 12 months, they have made monumental steps. The bike developed in Europe obviously had to be significantly altered for racing in the US to comply with the stricter rules and regulations, and the team could finally be developing the bike close to its potential. This is why we have seen Shorty and Alessi improving their results.

Remember back in the late 90s that Yamaha were developing the 400? How long did that take before it actually became truly competitive. I realise that back then they were not only changing cc but also stroke, but like the 350 it was an all new bike which has led to the dominance of 450s.

And cpj36, I don't even understand what you are talking about. KTM developed this bike to race AGAINST 450 bikes in the same class. They believe that there is an "optimum" engine capacity for racing, and believe that the 350 is this.

I believe that at the top level of racing, the top factory bikes are very similar. At that level a rider's ability is the main influence on results. We seen this when RC jumped ship from the dominant Honda to Suzuki, which at that time was seen as a weaker bike. Yet RC was still able to win and dominate the racing.
I believe Doug Henry won its first race on the new YZ400, Vegas '97 and won the '98 outdoor championship
Faceaz
3/22/2011 12:06pm
thekendogg wrote:
IMO, I think it's only a matter of time before the 350 becomes a true force to be reckoned with. Considering it's only been professionally raced...

I realize we basically have the same point of view. But, the 400 dominated in it's first race out. My memory is the 400 was going to first be raced in the Nationals, they sped it up & raced the last Supercross with it in Vegas & Henry dominated with it.

But I agree with you, there's an optimal displacement & it varies from rider to rider. The fact that the factories aren't tuning 450's for max hp, privateers have enough power to win without factory support, they are tuning the 350 more peak hp / torque, the 350 turns more rpm which helps make the power more competitive through the gear reduction, it's won a world title & has gotten plenty of great starts prove it's competitive & only getting better.
Roscoe33
3/22/2011 1:03pm
mccread wrote:

End of Arguement.
cpj36 wrote:
KTM sells what people are asking for not like the Japanese,

ie; 105 2t, 150 2t, 200 2t, 250F, 300 2t, 350f, 450 f, 530f,

not all these bikes have a class to race in, did KTM get " jerked" around on these too ?
thekendogg
3/22/2011 1:59pm
DPW wrote:
I believe Doug Henry won its first race on the new YZ400, Vegas '97 and won the '98 outdoor championship
Yes, sorry I didn't make it overly clear. I know Henry won the first race on it, but it took years afterwards to make it 100% reliable and to shed weight, etc.

The point I tried to make was that no matter what, a new bike takes time to fully develop before it consistently performs well. Hope I cleared this up!
cpj36
3/22/2011 2:14pm
thekendogg wrote:

They supposedly changed, or set a deadline to change the class limit to 350cc, KTM then built a 350cc but for whatever reason the class limit is still 450cc.

Do you not remember this? This isn't Honda where the bike gets made then the class, it was going to be lowered to 350cc then KTM made a 350.
cpj36
3/22/2011 2:19pm
Roscoe33 wrote:
KTM sells what people are asking for not like the Japanese, ie; 105 2t, 150 2t, 200 2t, 250F, 300 2t, 350f, 450 f, 530f, not...
KTM sells what people are asking for not like the Japanese,

ie; 105 2t, 150 2t, 200 2t, 250F, 300 2t, 350f, 450 f, 530f,

not all these bikes have a class to race in, did KTM get " jerked" around on these too ?
Whatever you call it, FIM said MX1 was going to be 350cc then KTM designed a bike to compete in the 350cc class. We don't have it yet so yes I'd say that's not too different from the back and forth the AMA done on the 144.
cpj36
3/22/2011 2:26pm
mccread wrote:

End of Arguement.
cpj36 wrote:
mccread wrote:
Wow, you're dumb.
What exactly is different then? After changing it's mind the AMA changed it again after KTM built the 144, MX1 is supposed to be 350cc and once again KTM has the bike but not the class.

Post a reply to: 350 holeshot sweep at Jacksonville

The Latest