300 twostroke might be the magic number

themrtoad
10/17/2013 3:00am Edited Date/Time 6/26/2014 11:39am
Don't let the headline scare you, this thread is purely about the joy of riding a really nice bike, and share my experience with fellow riders.

I had the pleasure of racing a Husaberg 300 last weekend. It was setup for enduro, but I raced it MX.

I trained like 10 minutes, then waited most of the day for my moto which was last on the day. It's not my bike, I borrowed it just for this occasion.

I had more fun and rode better than in 10 years, and I owe most of it to the bike. The suspension was really well set up for a guy pretty much my size, and the engine was rather stock( different ignition). Besides that pretty much standard I think, it's Joakim Ljunggrens old bike though( Husaberg factory rider enduro WC)

I've ridden loads of 250 twostrokes, some 380's, 250f's. 450f's, 125's etc. This was by far one of the best I ever ridden. It had all the good traits of a 4stroke (traction, usable power, stability) yet it was light, agile and sounded pretty cool. I think this is the best cc/power/price/usability compromise to hit the market this far.

I love a 250 twostroke, but quite frankly they are pretty tiring to handle for me. I don't like fourstrokes for reaons known and mentioned in thousands other threads. For me this is the perfect weapon of choice. My next bike is a KTM/TM/Husqvarna 300.

I recommend all crappy pilots out there to try one, they make you a better rider just like fourstrokes do. Except they are still easy to repair and can probably run at least 40-50h on a piston. It's a winner!

I won the race btw : - )
|
Crush
10/17/2013 3:36am
Apparently the Husky 300 will be the 250 KTM, with a 300 kit but also the WC4ps or whatever it is catridge fork. Could be good!
themrtoad
10/17/2013 4:15am
this bike had the WP fork from the 250SX 2012, and then modified with heavier springs. Worked great...is it the same fork?
Crush
10/17/2013 4:32am
Nope... the closed cartridge one is different, sold as a KTM powerparts option I think?
resetjet
10/17/2013 5:34am
The 2014 Hus has the new 4cs forks. 2012 I think has the regular 4 cc forks. The do not run the linkage like the ktm.

The KTM xc is a good bike for mx. Linkage shock and 4 cc forks. That is 2012 and up.

However, I think you are better off getting a 250 sx and putting a 300 jug on it. That way you have all of the above, and the lighter crank which gives you more power all around. The 300 kit takes the snap out of it and you can run it on the low map. Its also a few less dollars.

Thats all a 300 is anyway, is a 250 with a 300 jug just a matter of what suspension, stator, gearing and a few other things that make it an xc, xcw.

The Shop

JB 19
10/17/2013 6:30am
My dad has a KTM 300.......it's as good as a 2 stroke gets.
themrtoad
10/17/2013 6:32am
Sounds good. How much do you think one should put on the flywheel to slow it down just enough? Maybe an extra gasket to lower the compression as well?
themrtoad
10/17/2013 6:33am
JB 19 wrote:
How about durability when you put the stress of 50cc extra on the engine? On the other hand I think you won't have to rev so much.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
763rd
10/17/2013 7:30am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2013 7:42am
I'm am very pleased with my 2014 KTM 300 XC. Nice to be back on a very steerable nimble bike again with a starter. I sold my 2012 500 XCW 4 stroke for the 300. Man I'm glad I did. Only complaint is no EFI so have to just get use to doing jet swaps for temp and altitude again. Haven't raced it yet against 4 strokes yet, but we shall soon see in the spring.

The biggest thing I like about the 300 is on the low end grunts with lots of torque and hits like a 4 stroke and top opens up like a screaming monkey with his balls tied to his forehead.

Here are couple pictures.. First is the clicker adjusters you can adjust on the fly which I use a lot on the track as conditions change. And I'm a tall rider so I love the adjustable bars on the top triple clamp. There is about an inch front to back adjustability.

Should also take note that even though there is no EFI, the ignition and power valve is adjustable. Mine came with 3 springs to adjust how hard it hits on the bottom and a plug under the tank for normal and performance mode. They make a handle bar switch as well.

I put a tall seat on the bike for my height. I went from single point to linkage on the rear and I notice a huge difference. It settles the rear end down a ton on the squared choppy bumps. I feel back at home.

Moto_Geek
Fantasy
763rd
10/17/2013 7:45am
Crush wrote:
Nope... the closed cartridge one is different, sold as a KTM powerparts option I think?
I just ordered springs for my 2014 and it's a closed cartridge.
nytsmaC
10/17/2013 7:51am
Order yourself a lectron shorty carb, set it up once and forget it. It's as close to EFI as you can get without the electronics, weight and complexity. No jets to change and very quick & easy to get it running nice and crisp.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
763rd
10/17/2013 8:13am
nytsmaC wrote:
Order yourself a lectron shorty carb, set it up once and forget it. It's as close to EFI as you can get without the electronics, weight...
Order yourself a lectron shorty carb, set it up once and forget it. It's as close to EFI as you can get without the electronics, weight and complexity. No jets to change and very quick & easy to get it running nice and crisp.
Thanks I will check it out..
peelout
10/17/2013 8:16am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2013 8:20am
JB 19 wrote:
completely agree.

i love mine. it's the most fun i've ever had riding a bike (trail, mx, desert, it does it all).

i threw a shorty silencer on and it really helped out the snap of the bottom end. what i love about this bike is it just pulls and pulls. also, i do a lot of trail riding and it's necessary to pick the front wheel over rocks/logs/roots, the front end on these is so light it just pulls up like nothing.

definitely loving my purchase
malachi177
10/17/2013 1:09pm
Yep 300's no matter what the make are wicked! The engine in the GasGas 300 racing (used to be Nambotin) is to die for!! Tons of bottom, mid, and top end is like a raped ape. I rode it for 6 hrs...didn't want to give it back to my friend Sad
LappedU
10/17/2013 1:18pm
themrtoad wrote:
Sounds good. How much do you think one should put on the flywheel to slow it down just enough? Maybe an extra gasket to lower the...
Sounds good. How much do you think one should put on the flywheel to slow it down just enough? Maybe an extra gasket to lower the compression as well?
Run taller gearing it's easier to change back if you don't like it.
malachi177
10/17/2013 2:01pm
themrtoad wrote:
Sounds good. How much do you think one should put on the flywheel to slow it down just enough? Maybe an extra gasket to lower the...
LappedU wrote:
Run taller gearing it's easier to change back if you don't like it.
Not the same effect at all!!...and your gearing is then changed. The 300's come with a heavier flywheel weight anyways. I read somewhere that the 250SX comes with a 20oz (or maybe more?)flywheel from the factory. My 08 RM125 has an 8oz and my 08 RM 250 has a 12oz....both Stealthy. They come with the plastic spacer for the ignition cover. You don't lose any power! That's a total myth, it changes the power delivery to be more tractable. I find I use less clutching in the corners, and I can run a higher gear into the corners. More and more riders that 2 stroke are catching on to flywheel weights and their benefits.
Suns_PSD
10/17/2013 2:40pm
For MX use I've never loved the 300 cylinders on the KTMs. They just won't rev at all because when you stick on that big jug (the same way all the 300 manufacturers do it) your bore/ stroke ratio gets all jacked up.

I fixed my flat feeling 300SX (actually a 293cc) by stroking it to a 314cc. It was only 21cc but it made a HUGE difference in power as it helped correct the bore/ stroke ratio.
Crush
10/17/2013 5:21pm
Crush wrote:
Moto_Geek wrote:
Hmmm... What year is it? I thought the upgraded one was still an option?
The Rock
10/18/2013 1:04am
More so than the power the weight difference impressed me more than anything. I had gotten used to racing heavier four strokes and after spending four motos on KTM 300 and Husky 300 I couldn't believe how much easier they were to ride from a flickable standpoint. Power delivery of course isn't the same silky smooth as a four stroke but it was nice to feel the hit of a two stroke again.
The Rock
10/18/2013 1:10am
Suns_PSD wrote:
For MX use I've never loved the 300 cylinders on the KTMs. They just won't rev at all because when you stick on that big jug...
For MX use I've never loved the 300 cylinders on the KTMs. They just won't rev at all because when you stick on that big jug (the same way all the 300 manufacturers do it) your bore/ stroke ratio gets all jacked up.

I fixed my flat feeling 300SX (actually a 293cc) by stroking it to a 314cc. It was only 21cc but it made a HUGE difference in power as it helped correct the bore/ stroke ratio.
Best big bore 250 four stroke I ever rode was a 315 Max Power Yamaha. Thing was ultra smooth and had so much torque.

Sun_PSD-Astute assessment of the situation and color me impressed. What type of riding do you do? Guessing MX given the type of power you like but I've been wrong before.

And as the saying goes...there is no replacement for displacement.
nytsmaC
10/18/2013 2:52am Edited Date/Time 10/18/2013 2:53am
The Rock wrote:
More so than the power the weight difference impressed me more than anything. I had gotten used to racing heavier four strokes and after spending four...
More so than the power the weight difference impressed me more than anything. I had gotten used to racing heavier four strokes and after spending four motos on KTM 300 and Husky 300 I couldn't believe how much easier they were to ride from a flickable standpoint. Power delivery of course isn't the same silky smooth as a four stroke but it was nice to feel the hit of a two stroke again.
Double post
nytsmaC
10/18/2013 2:52am
The Rock wrote:
More so than the power the weight difference impressed me more than anything. I had gotten used to racing heavier four strokes and after spending four...
Curious, how did you like the Husky 300? I had one and it didn't do it for me for MX. Too cumbersome feeling.
10/18/2013 3:07am
These are 250's but the 300 looks the same. I need to try one.

Digger29
10/18/2013 6:52am
Suns_PSD wrote:
For MX use I've never loved the 300 cylinders on the KTMs. They just won't rev at all because when you stick on that big jug...

I definitely don't agree with you about the 300SXS kit making your bike feel flat & loosing it's ability to rev. I wish I did the 300 kit last yr when I first got my 13 250SX but I was talked out of it by a few guys who are smarter than I am. I put it on in July & my engine guy knows his shit & he knows the complaints about big bores in general. He had my crank balanced while the engine was apart. He just cleaned up the cylinder up & set the squish on the head correctly. He set the cylinder & powervalve height which is crucial & if these 3 things aren't done it will definitely hurt the bikes ability to rev. I knew in the first half a lap that I should've done this last yr. My engine has significant gains right on the bottom & into an awesome & very flexible midrange & absolutely revs out further than my stock 250SX did. I've let all of my friends ride my bike & all of them are blown away at how easy my bike is to ride & how fast it is. One of them has a full on Pro Circuit motor in his 13 YZ250 2 stroke & we swapped bikes & I came in sooner than he did & I told a buddy who was standing there that my bike would kill that bike & I felt like my bike had 10 more HP than the YZ. He came in a few laps later & all he could say was WHOA this bike is Fn fast & he then said that it felt like it had 10 more HP than his bike & I said that I said that 10 minutes ago when I came in from riding his bike. That last thing I would think about my engine is that it has a flat feeling to it. My opinion is it's all how the cylinder, head & powervalve are set up. After installing the 300 kit the engine is now 72x72 & wouldn't a motor that shares the same bore & stroke be almost the perfect 2 stroke engine? I do have a few questions for you though. I have some smart carb info for you as well. Can we chat sometime soon? Mike
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
763rd
10/18/2013 7:54am Edited Date/Time 10/18/2013 7:54am
Crush wrote:
Moto_Geek wrote:
Crush wrote:
Hmmm... What year is it? I thought the upgraded one was still an option?
2014 300 XC..

Here is the line item on my invoice.."Enduro Engineering"

.48 48mm WP 4CS Closed Cartridge Fork Springs for
2014 KTM XC/XCF 125-450cc 2013-2014 Husaberg all
models
peelout
10/18/2013 8:12am Edited Date/Time 10/18/2013 8:14am
Digger29 wrote:
I definitely don't agree with you about the 300SXS kit making your bike feel flat & loosing it's ability to rev. I wish I did the...
I definitely don't agree with you about the 300SXS kit making your bike feel flat & loosing it's ability to rev. I wish I did the 300 kit last yr when I first got my 13 250SX but I was talked out of it by a few guys who are smarter than I am. I put it on in July & my engine guy knows his shit & he knows the complaints about big bores in general. He had my crank balanced while the engine was apart. He just cleaned up the cylinder up & set the squish on the head correctly. He set the cylinder & powervalve height which is crucial & if these 3 things aren't done it will definitely hurt the bikes ability to rev. I knew in the first half a lap that I should've done this last yr. My engine has significant gains right on the bottom & into an awesome & very flexible midrange & absolutely revs out further than my stock 250SX did. I've let all of my friends ride my bike & all of them are blown away at how easy my bike is to ride & how fast it is. One of them has a full on Pro Circuit motor in his 13 YZ250 2 stroke & we swapped bikes & I came in sooner than he did & I told a buddy who was standing there that my bike would kill that bike & I felt like my bike had 10 more HP than the YZ. He came in a few laps later & all he could say was WHOA this bike is Fn fast & he then said that it felt like it had 10 more HP than his bike & I said that I said that 10 minutes ago when I came in from riding his bike. That last thing I would think about my engine is that it has a flat feeling to it. My opinion is it's all how the cylinder, head & powervalve are set up. After installing the 300 kit the engine is now 72x72 & wouldn't a motor that shares the same bore & stroke be almost the perfect 2 stroke engine? I do have a few questions for you though. I have some smart carb info for you as well. Can we chat sometime soon? Mike
i'm on the same thought process here. good post. i bought my bike '12 XC250 AFTER the 300SX kit was installed. i think i have a new goal this winter to tear it down and do the same mods/checking as what you did. all i can say is the way my bike currently is, is a monster on the moto track. the thing hits hard on bottom, carries all the way out and revs way into the top. much better than any 250 i've ever ridden. (although the new SX250 is an amazing bike). the only thing i wish was more setup is the suspension... but it's a double edged sword. it's awesome off-road and on single track, but way too soft on the track.

i might like some info on this smart carb you're talking about though.
The Rock
10/18/2013 6:12pm
nytsmaC wrote:
Curious, how did you like the Husky 300? I had one and it didn't do it for me for MX. Too cumbersome feeling.
I only spent one race day on it back in 2010 but I liked it. I wadded it up on the first lap of the second moto but the crash was due my being overzealous with the front brake going over a braking bump going into a left hand turn on the first lap and zero to do with the bike. The weight difference is so noticeable between a 300cc two stroke and four strokes.

Digger29-Good information and for sure it pays to know a good motor person. The thing I learned from a few top tuners is it is not about how much horsepower but what kind of horsepower. Stewart won a lot of races on Kawasaki with only a 52 to 53 horsepower motor.
10/18/2013 9:50pm Edited Date/Time 10/18/2013 9:55pm
Moto_Geek wrote:
I'm am very pleased with my 2014 KTM 300 XC. Nice to be back on a very steerable nimble bike again with a starter. I sold...
I'm am very pleased with my 2014 KTM 300 XC. Nice to be back on a very steerable nimble bike again with a starter. I sold my 2012 500 XCW 4 stroke for the 300. Man I'm glad I did. Only complaint is no EFI so have to just get use to doing jet swaps for temp and altitude again. Haven't raced it yet against 4 strokes yet, but we shall soon see in the spring.

The biggest thing I like about the 300 is on the low end grunts with lots of torque and hits like a 4 stroke and top opens up like a screaming monkey with his balls tied to his forehead.

Here are couple pictures.. First is the clicker adjusters you can adjust on the fly which I use a lot on the track as conditions change. And I'm a tall rider so I love the adjustable bars on the top triple clamp. There is about an inch front to back adjustability.

Should also take note that even though there is no EFI, the ignition and power valve is adjustable. Mine came with 3 springs to adjust how hard it hits on the bottom and a plug under the tank for normal and performance mode. They make a handle bar switch as well.

I put a tall seat on the bike for my height. I went from single point to linkage on the rear and I notice a huge difference. It settles the rear end down a ton on the squared choppy bumps. I feel back at home.

The transparant tank is my pet peeve on those EXC's/XC(w)'s. They turn yellow and ugly after some time. Since it has no EFi i would throw a black one on it. Looks allot better and stays looking that way.

@derestricted: I'm a KTM nut but those Husky's are so damn sick! I'd be tempted to buy one of those over a Katoom.
resetjet
10/19/2013 6:29am
Digger29 wrote:
I definitely don't agree with you about the 300SXS kit making your bike feel flat & loosing it's ability to rev. I wish I did the...
peelout wrote:
i'm on the same thought process here. good post. i bought my bike '12 XC250 AFTER the 300SX kit was installed. i think i have a...
i'm on the same thought process here. good post. i bought my bike '12 XC250 AFTER the 300SX kit was installed. i think i have a new goal this winter to tear it down and do the same mods/checking as what you did. all i can say is the way my bike currently is, is a monster on the moto track. the thing hits hard on bottom, carries all the way out and revs way into the top. much better than any 250 i've ever ridden. (although the new SX250 is an amazing bike). the only thing i wish was more setup is the suspension... but it's a double edged sword. it's awesome off-road and on single track, but way too soft on the track.

i might like some info on this smart carb you're talking about though.
Flywheel weights take it the other way.......Not a fan.

Peelout. You have an XC which is a heavier crank then an SX. You will never get the rev of an SX unless you change it. The difference is stunning. I have an older 07 XC with an 09 SXS 300 and an sx crank as well as the same year xc with regular crank as my second bike. Night and day. It not only revs faster and higher, but somehow, it magically gives more power everywhere......

Cheap easy mod, and you won't believe the difference. Also, there are two 300 kits, one is for XC and one for SX. You wrote SXS and that is the good one.......

Ktm's engineering of the 300 has been for smooth power and also, just a 250 with a 300 kit.

But if you like big power an sx with a 300 kit is the way to go....Problem is the gearing and 5 speed. But for MX it is the bomb 2T IMHO.
DA498
10/19/2013 7:57am
These are 250's but the 300 looks the same. I need to try one. [img]http://blog.derestricted.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/husqvarna_tc250_08.jpg[/img] [img]http://blog.derestricted.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/husqvarna_tc250_01.jpg[/img] [img]http://blog.derestricted.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/husqvarna_tc250_02.jpg[/img]
These are 250's but the 300 looks the same. I need to try one.

I like! No TC300 for the States? TC250 with the 300 kit I guess would do, but would rather just have the 300 and not spend the extra cash on the kit.

Post a reply to: 300 twostroke might be the magic number

The Latest