2nd best Supercross race of all time

Zycki11
Edited Date/Time 1/15/2015 8:21pm
I was thumbing through my race archive on vhs(hope espn, and speed don't read this), and Daytona 05 came on. What an amazing race. Chad looked much more aggressive and Ricky was awesome to watch. Hope we get more of those in 11. Also Hansen on a KTM won the 125 class. Yes the properly named class.
|
Zycki11
10/19/2010 3:17pm
Edit: good battles with all the players
Titan1
10/19/2010 3:43pm
I thought Vegas 06 was pretty awesome...not because there was a whole lot of battling...but because of how close the top 3 were in points, and all that was riding on that race.

RC, JS, and CR were all three blazing fast on that track, but neither could make time....I was on the edge of my seat the entire time race....the tension, the pressure....amazing race.
Zycki11
10/19/2010 4:09pm
Great race as well, I like how Kdub moved out of the way. Cool to see how the three rode differently yet all were super close speed wise.
SoCalMX70
10/19/2010 9:41pm
I was expecting to see San Diego 2001 when I saw the title to this thread...Daytona 2005 was AWESOME though. I watched it live on tv (maybe a 2-3 hour delay?) and remember being on the edge of the couch that entire main.

Speaking of tense Vegas races, the 2001 race was amazing. I was there in person and I still remember it like it was yesterday. The entire crowd was standing the entire race. MC was within 2 seconds of RC the entire race (after losing the lead on a mistake after the whoops). On a side note I feel extremely privileged to have watched MC ride that race. It was the best he rode the ENTIRE season. He really wanted it and you could tell his confidence was sky high.

Anaheim II 2001 was another good one. MC and RC within 1 second for just about the entire race. I was at that race as well so I'm partial... I got to see McGrath's last win.

The Shop

JB 19
10/19/2010 10:05pm
2nd to Atlanta 1990, would have to be Pontiac 2002.......in my book.

Daytona 05 was pretty sweet though.
docweedon
10/19/2010 10:08pm
Zycki11 wrote:
I was thumbing through my race archive on vhs(hope espn, and speed don't read this), and Daytona 05 came on. What an amazing race. Chad looked...
I was thumbing through my race archive on vhs(hope espn, and speed don't read this), and Daytona 05 came on. What an amazing race. Chad looked much more aggressive and Ricky was awesome to watch. Hope we get more of those in 11. Also Hansen on a KTM won the 125 class. Yes the properly named class.

One of the best things I put on my Youtube acct.
DanDunes818
10/19/2010 11:54pm
The problem w/that race is it never really happened. As far as them battling bar to bar at least. Reedy got out early and pretty much just slowly mentally beat down RC. RC expected to win Daytona more than any other venue and when he couldn't real Reedy in you could just see the confidence melting away from RC as the laps clicked off. Then if I remember right RC went down in the whoops with a couple laps to go and it was over. I don't think RC ever even got a tire in on Reedy the whole race.

A better race that year ,and I'm glad to say I was at it, was SanDiego 2005. When Reedy reeled in RC from quite a ways back and then made a very aggressive pass on RC to win the race.
Jake-247
10/20/2010 12:22am
Oh how I miss that combo of Reed and that yz250.
Matt#49
10/20/2010 12:36am
The problem w/that race is it never really happened. As far as them battling bar to bar at least. Reedy got out early and pretty much...
The problem w/that race is it never really happened. As far as them battling bar to bar at least. Reedy got out early and pretty much just slowly mentally beat down RC. RC expected to win Daytona more than any other venue and when he couldn't real Reedy in you could just see the confidence melting away from RC as the laps clicked off. Then if I remember right RC went down in the whoops with a couple laps to go and it was over. I don't think RC ever even got a tire in on Reedy the whole race.

A better race that year ,and I'm glad to say I was at it, was SanDiego 2005. When Reedy reeled in RC from quite a ways back and then made a very aggressive pass on RC to win the race.

I'm a biased Reed fan so obviously I would have to agree that the race in San Diego in 05 was nothing short of amazing!

I can only try to imagine what the atmosphere would of been like there for you DanDunes.

SwapperMX
10/20/2010 5:15am
Yeah, agree majorly, Reed on that YZ 250 was amazing. So stylish and ULTRA fast. And those races were classics for sure. Will we see racing like that again ????
SMITH201
10/20/2010 6:50am
2006 San Diego SX was an intense one as well!

Also, it wasnt for the win, but the battle between Dungey, JLaw and Grant at Budds in 08.
Zycki11
10/20/2010 8:55am
I really like san diego 05 as well as pontiac 05 with kdub,stewart, rc, reedy. Amazing racing.... I like daytona due too the helmet camera.
Adam43
10/20/2010 9:08am
Titan1 wrote:
I thought Vegas 06 was pretty awesome...not because there was a whole lot of battling...but because of how close the top 3 were in points, and...
I thought Vegas 06 was pretty awesome...not because there was a whole lot of battling...but because of how close the top 3 were in points, and all that was riding on that race.

RC, JS, and CR were all three blazing fast on that track, but neither could make time....I was on the edge of my seat the entire time race....the tension, the pressure....amazing race.
Seriously? I thought that was one of the worst races ever. It was over as soon as the gate dropped. No one could pass, the lines and combos were all identical. The dirt was absolute crap as usual.

I agree with you about the build-up...that was one of the best seasons I can remember. But Vegas was as anti-climactic as it gets.
DanDunes818
10/20/2010 9:43am
The problem w/that race is it never really happened. As far as them battling bar to bar at least. Reedy got out early and pretty much...

Matt#49 wrote:
I'm a biased Reed fan so obviously I would have to agree that the race in San Diego in 05 was nothing short of amazing! I...

I'm a biased Reed fan so obviously I would have to agree that the race in San Diego in 05 was nothing short of amazing!

I can only try to imagine what the atmosphere would of been like there for you DanDunes.

I was never a huge Reed fan . Always respected him though. I am a huge ran of racing and whether I'm a fan of a racer or not I love seeing guys push that edge to go after a win. Just like Dungey last year. I'm a huge RV fan but respected the hell out of Dungey at races like St Louis where Dungey rode his ass off to take it to RV. That race ended horrible for RV obviously (and killed his season) but watching RD match the incredible pace being set in that main event was incredible.

If I remember right MC actually holeshotted the San Diego 05 race (It was MC's coming out of retirement to play on a Honda year) which also made it that much more fun. I also think it was the race where RC passed MC over a triple and they looked over at each other in the air and said what's up to each other..lol I may be wrong about that last sentence but I think that was the race. After that I just remember seeing Reed slowly reeling RC in and wondering if he had time to catch him. Then on the last lap or 2nd to last lap Reed caught him. There was a left hander right in front of me that lead into a long rhythm section. Right before that left hander RC found some lappers in his way and just when RC let up Reedy just drove it in on him and if I remember right he stood RC up in the corner. The place , including me, went berzerk. I think the crowd was only louder when MC pulled the holeshot.
JJO741
Fantasy
3037th
10/20/2010 10:35am
There are a lot of good ones. I thought SLC in 09 was pretty intense. Reed and Stewart going back and forth. Dallas 03 ( I believe it was Dallas) Reed and RC went back and forth the entire race. A2 and San Diego in 01 had me on the edge of my seat. I was little at the time but I loved McGrath. I was so mad when he lost SD.
DanDunes818
10/20/2010 10:45am Edited Date/Time 10/20/2010 10:49am
the entire race is on youtube.
Nice.. You're right. In fact i just looked it up and noticed the San Diego 2005 and Daytona 2005 are on you tube..

God Dammmmnnn !! I love the internet.!!!!!! If you would of told me 10 years ago I could watch just about any race I think about any time I wanted to on this little machine I can carry around I would of said you're nuts. Also on my phone.

I just started watching the San Diego. What's funny is 1/2 the time in life I can't remember things that happened yesterday but when it comes to great races I remember every lap. I'm just amazed after not seeing this race in over 5 years (since being there) I remember so much about it. It's even more crazy how much we all remember every corner of every lap of races we actually raced in even if it was 30 years ago.
DanDunes818
10/20/2010 10:53am
How bad would the off season be without youtube?

San Diego 05 prt 1

Prt 2

Daytona 05 part 1

Daytona 05 part 2

Daytona 05 part 3

DanDunes818
10/21/2010 7:35pm
This was a fun race in 05 as well. It was insane how fast Ricki was going in that mud before he crashed. Watching RC there that day scared the shit out of me. It seems like he doesn't even pay attention to the track conditions some times. He would just grab a handful and hope for the best..

TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
10/21/2010 7:48pm
How bad would the off season be without youtube? San Diego 05 prt 1 Prt 2 Daytona 05 part 1 Daytona 05 part 2 Daytona 05...

San Diego 05 prt 1

Prt 2

Daytona 05 part 1

Daytona 05 part 2

Daytona 05 part 3

Thanks for posting. Amazing how much can change in just 5 years of this sport.

I only counted 3 riders in the SD main that are still currently racing pro.
sdfog1
10/21/2010 7:52pm Edited Date/Time 10/21/2010 7:58pm
How bad would the off season be without youtube? San Diego 05 prt 1 Prt 2 Daytona 05 part 1 Daytona 05 part 2 Daytona 05...

San Diego 05 prt 1

Prt 2

Daytona 05 part 1

Daytona 05 part 2

Daytona 05 part 3

TriRacer27 wrote:
Thanks for posting. Amazing how much can change in just 5 years of this sport. I only counted 3 riders in the SD main that are...
Thanks for posting. Amazing how much can change in just 5 years of this sport.

I only counted 3 riders in the SD main that are still currently racing pro.
Woah man, you didn't forget JT$ did you?

Edit: I'm an idiot!
Edit again: Maybe I'm not.
DJ KC
Fantasy
452nd
10/21/2010 8:08pm
I can't remember the year, I think it was 1990... But Larry Ward and Jeff Matieasevich going at each other and setting a pace that put them way out front. With Larry winning his first SX race.
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2475th
6/23/2012 4:18am

Matt#49 wrote:
I'm a biased Reed fan so obviously I would have to agree that the race in San Diego in 05 was nothing short of amazing! I...

I was never a huge Reed fan . Always respected him though. I am a huge ran of racing and whether I'm a fan of a...
I was never a huge Reed fan . Always respected him though. I am a huge ran of racing and whether I'm a fan of a racer or not I love seeing guys push that edge to go after a win. Just like Dungey last year. I'm a huge RV fan but respected the hell out of Dungey at races like St Louis where Dungey rode his ass off to take it to RV. That race ended horrible for RV obviously (and killed his season) but watching RD match the incredible pace being set in that main event was incredible.

If I remember right MC actually holeshotted the San Diego 05 race (It was MC's coming out of retirement to play on a Honda year) which also made it that much more fun. I also think it was the race where RC passed MC over a triple and they looked over at each other in the air and said what's up to each other..lol I may be wrong about that last sentence but I think that was the race. After that I just remember seeing Reed slowly reeling RC in and wondering if he had time to catch him. Then on the last lap or 2nd to last lap Reed caught him. There was a left hander right in front of me that lead into a long rhythm section. Right before that left hander RC found some lappers in his way and just when RC let up Reedy just drove it in on him and if I remember right he stood RC up in the corner. The place , including me, went berzerk. I think the crowd was only louder when MC pulled the holeshot.
My favorite race of all time as well, I am a biased Reed Fan though!

It was before I had the internet and we were getting the races just over a week after they happened in the states on a Tuesday night, I was working nights so taped it on VHS! then got home and started watching it at about 2 in the morning.

Woke the house up at 3 in the morning screaming at the TV cheering on Reedy LOL, hard to believe that was over 7 years ago already.

I got into riding just as the four stroke revolution hit, though my first bike was a YZ 250 two stroke (Had to be like Reed!) It is easy to forget how good those two strokes sounded ridden at their best by guys like MC, Ricky and Reed as well as others, sound good, great racing.
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2475th
6/23/2012 4:34am
The craziest thing about the San Diego, they lapped upto 4th and third was only moments from going a lap down , Crazy Speed by Reed and Ricky, certainly another level or 2 at that point in time.
jd114
6/23/2012 6:22am
How about Seattle '08? KW/Reed charge through the pack.... also, there are soo many to choose from.... Houston '94, Seattle '96, Tampa '99, Anaheim 2/3 '01, Pontiac '02, St. Louis/Dallas '03, San Diego/Daytona/Pontiac '05 (and the Houston heat race between Reed/JS259), Anaheim 2 '06, San Francisco '07, etc..... btw, how about St. Louis '01 in the 125 class (a big come from behind from a certain suzuki)....
smoothmf
6/23/2012 3:07pm
smoothmf wrote:
https://youtu.be/JqwR0Gt4Y1Q Gotta be Alanta as Best Of All Time!
1990 Alanta Supercross has to top Anahiem '86 as best ever! For you newcomers to the sport, you should watch this race, cause never have so many legends (champions) been in the same race at one time like this! Ricky Johnson, Johnny O'Mara, Damon Bradshaw, Guy Cooper, Jeff Ward, Jeff Stanton, Mike LaRocco, Jean Michele Bayle, Jeff Matiasevich, Mike Kiedrowski ( All Champions at some point in their career) all swapping positions. Never will you see a race like this where you have up to 8 different leaders in a race!
Denn700
6/23/2012 10:37pm
I think Dallas 03 is the best race ever. I was there and there was more lead changes than Anaheim 86. I never sat down the entire main.

Post a reply to: 2nd best Supercross race of all time

The Latest