2017 KTM Ticking time bombs..

1/26/2018 5:07pm
Perhaps you should set the sag? Barring that, I recommend you purchase a fine cat.
jaycee
1/26/2018 7:06pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2018 7:07pm
Perhaps you should set the sag? Barring that, I recommend you purchase a fine cat.
I set the sag That has nothing to do with it and I already have a fine cat thanks
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
1/26/2018 7:26pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2018 7:27pm
jaycee wrote:
Ktm has the worst customer service Ive ever seen I had a small problem with a 2018 ktm 300 xc and the lady was so ignorant...
Ktm has the worst customer service Ive ever seen I had a small problem with a 2018 ktm 300 xc and the lady was so ignorant from ktm North America that I couldn’t deal with her and I just fixed it myself I won’t be dealing with them ever again after this bike still only has 3/10 of an hour I started the other day and it makes a clink noise in the piston the bikes brand new I just wish I didn’t deal with them there a funny company hopefully all the jap manufacturers start building more 2 strokes and they don’t deserve the money they get for them bikes at all ive been worried all winter what that is and I’ll find out soon once these 10 feet ice banks and ice roads are gone
Holy long sentence, Batman!

Tell me more about your cat.

The Shop

1/27/2018 5:19am Edited Date/Time 1/27/2018 5:19am
jaycee wrote:
?
Have you torqued the sprocket bolts? If you've really set the sag and checked sprocket torque with a calibrated torque wrench, then the bike should perform. Perhaps you need a factory ECU?

I too would like to hear about your fine cat.
jaycee
1/27/2018 5:53am Edited Date/Time 1/27/2018 5:54am
No I havnt rode it yet I’m pretty sure it’s the motor when I start it it sounds like the piston clicks when I twist the throttle it’s definately coming from the motor I can feel it when my hands On The throttle through the bars I was hoping it was a popping noise from the exhaust but I can’t really tell until I get it out and ride it I will torque those sprocket bolts I did set the sag I got a Moto slacker to make sure I always check it and I’ll grease linkage and torque everything before I ride it
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
1/27/2018 7:29am
jaycee wrote:
No I havnt rode it yet I’m pretty sure it’s the motor when I start it it sounds like the piston clicks when I twist the...
No I havnt rode it yet I’m pretty sure it’s the motor when I start it it sounds like the piston clicks when I twist the throttle it’s definately coming from the motor I can feel it when my hands On The throttle through the bars I was hoping it was a popping noise from the exhaust but I can’t really tell until I get it out and ride it I will torque those sprocket bolts I did set the sag I got a Moto slacker to make sure I always check it and I’ll grease linkage and torque everything before I ride it

Is this your cat?:

jaycee
1/27/2018 8:41am
jaycee wrote:
No I havnt rode it yet I’m pretty sure it’s the motor when I start it it sounds like the piston clicks when I twist the...
kzizok wrote:
Holy long sentence, Batman! Is this your cat?: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/27/240547/s1200_D07A733A_E4A5_4746_BE86_382544B3589A.jpg[/img]

Is this your cat?:

No but that’s a beauty
1/27/2018 8:42am
jaycee wrote:
Remember how when you got your cat you had to, in a sense, "break it in"? You know, you had to lead your fine feline to the cat box, show it where its bowls for food and water are placed, break it from scratching the furniture, etc.

Well, in a similar fashion, your new KTM also needs to be broken in. I suggest riding it in accordance with the manufacturer's break-in instructions, and then make a judgment about this noise you're hearing. Just starting it and listening to it doesn't sound like a great way to troubleshoot a new bike. Your cat purrs when it is happy. Your KTM will too, but to be happy, it must be ridden with a proper break-in. If you still hear a "ticking" after a proper break-in period, then I would advise investigating further.
jaycee
1/27/2018 9:52am Edited Date/Time 1/27/2018 9:57am
Yes I know I had to break my cat in it still shouldn’t make that noise I’ve had a few new bikes and a few used ones and none of thems ever made that noise all that money I’m just nervous about the noise I also have a 2017 ktm 450 xcf that runs perfect I hope your right and that’s all it is I’d be relieved that’s for sure like I was when I broke my cat in and everything turned out
alright your right it’s not a good way to tell though I agree I live in Maine it’s been a brutal winter once it clears up I’ll break it In and let you know i love my 450 I hope this bike will be as dependable as that
1/27/2018 10:19am
Look, I'm not saying you are clueless, but I'm questioning how much you know about engines. An experienced guy can get some ideas by listening, but you don't seem to know much about engines. If I'm wrong about that, I apologize.

Check the fluids then break it in the way KTM tells you to.

I'd really to see a picture of the bike and your cat.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
1/27/2018 12:47pm
I agree with HarryBro, with one caveat. What if the ticking you hear really is a ticking time bomb? That's why I usually pick a friend with an attractive significant other to break in my bikes, just in case.

1/27/2018 1:17pm
GrapeApe wrote:
I agree with HarryBro, with one caveat. What if the ticking you hear really is a ticking time bomb? That's why I usually pick a friend...
I agree with HarryBro, with one caveat. What if the ticking you hear really is a ticking time bomb? That's why I usually pick a friend with an attractive significant other to break in my bikes, just in case.

LaughingLaughingLaughingCool
jaycee
1/27/2018 2:06pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2018 2:10pm
Look, I'm not saying you are clueless, but I'm questioning how much you know about engines. An experienced guy can get some ideas by listening, but...
Look, I'm not saying you are clueless, but I'm questioning how much you know about engines. An experienced guy can get some ideas by listening, but you don't seem to know much about engines. If I'm wrong about that, I apologize.

Check the fluids then break it in the way KTM tells you to.

I'd really to see a picture of the bike and your cat.
Look I don’t care what you think and when you pay 9 grand for a bike the piston shouldn’t clank seems like your the one that don’t know about engines my yz never did that crap ktm is junk can you say Yamaha you have fun fixing there junk ready to race my ass I didn’t say I did know much but I know enough a brand new bike shouldn’t do that I know that much
jaycee
1/27/2018 2:11pm
Hey grape ape you agree with harry all you want you clown
jaycee
1/27/2018 2:16pm
jaycee wrote:
Remember how when you got your cat you had to, in a sense, "break it in"? You know, you had to lead your fine feline to...
Remember how when you got your cat you had to, in a sense, "break it in"? You know, you had to lead your fine feline to the cat box, show it where its bowls for food and water are placed, break it from scratching the furniture, etc.

Well, in a similar fashion, your new KTM also needs to be broken in. I suggest riding it in accordance with the manufacturer's break-in instructions, and then make a judgment about this noise you're hearing. Just starting it and listening to it doesn't sound like a great way to troubleshoot a new bike. Your cat purrs when it is happy. Your KTM will too, but to be happy, it must be ridden with a proper break-in. If you still hear a "ticking" after a proper break-in period, then I would advise investigating further.
You telling me to set the sag and tighten sprocket bolts take your fancy sticker kits and go pose because anyone who forms an opinion as quick as you don’t know about much imo im a mechanic by trade you genius I’ll rip that shit bike apart I’m not breaking it in making that noise stay off the weed man really
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
1/27/2018 2:27pm
Hey Harry.

Have you meet Sally yet?
jaycee
1/27/2018 2:41pm
kzizok wrote:
Hey Harry.

Have you meet Sally yet?
Yes he has with that mullett I’d say your sally lol
1/27/2018 2:43pm
kzizok wrote:
Hey Harry.

Have you meet Sally yet?
jaycee wrote:
You should do some soul-searching. Maybe you’ll find one.
jaycee
1/27/2018 2:45pm
Yes Harry that’s the cats name
jaycee
1/27/2018 2:46pm
kzizok wrote:
Hey Harry.

Have you meet Sally yet?
jaycee wrote:
You should do some soul-searching. Maybe you’ll find one.
I’m searching harry don’t worry you. Judge me from a sentence you internet mechanic
jaycee
1/27/2018 2:47pm
Damn internet mechanics
1/27/2018 2:51pm
Look, if we could move back to the subject of your bike, that would be great. In my opinion, I think you should call KTM and ask them for a Factory ECU. Anyone I've ever known that has had a "clicking" or as you lately term it, a "clank" the Factory ECU has solved the problem.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
1/27/2018 2:53pm
kzizok wrote:
Hey Harry.

Have you meet Sally yet?
jaycee wrote:
Yeah, but my mullet serves an actual purpose. It allows me to hide my cat in it so I can take it with me on planes when I fly. TSA has no clue it’s buried deep in my party in the back.
Ace43
Fantasy
4070th
1/27/2018 3:51pm
Dtat720 wrote:
Its one thing when its one issue happening on a bike. Hondas ate valves. Yamahas break kick start shafts on 2t's and the 4t had tps...
Its one thing when its one issue happening on a bike. Hondas ate valves. Yamahas break kick start shafts on 2t's and the 4t had tps issues when it was new, rod issues as well. These KTM's have issues all over the bikes and it isnt narrowed to one specific bike or line, its a wide range of their models. That is the difference between the japanese bikes and ktm. Yeah, they are taking care of them which is great, but they shouldnt have to be doing that to begin with. They need to slow down on the release of new designs and get it right before hand. When that happens, that is when KTM will make a serious dent in the japanese hold on the market.
Well said
7/31/2018 8:09pm
Hi Guys, i was hoping did anyone have a letter from KTM about the 2017 Front wheel failure as my 2016.5 front wheel completely failed as send me in a front flip on a down ramp at my local track. I am in Australia KTM australia said my bike was not part of a recall , hard to swallow when i am in bed with broken bones bruising and a totalled bike. Just wanting to find out as there was a recall for the 2016 as well if anyone could pm me there email with a letter or a copy that would be great as i am wanting to get them to pay up as its been 4 days and not even a reply to my calls or emails, probably running around covering there arses LOL

ps bike had 3 hours on it when it happened just run in it was a mates show bike i bought as i upgraded from a 2014 KTM 350 , i won't post the front wheel pics or spokes just in case KTM look after me but its a scary thing laying in a helicopter think your back is broken and you have a spoke in ya gut LOL

Post a reply to: 2017 KTM Ticking time bombs..

The Latest