2017 KTM Ticking time bombs..

RockyRider
Fantasy
3372nd
Edited Date/Time 8/12/2019 12:10am
For starters this isn't a brand bashing post, but what the hell KTM. The amount of problems I'm seeing with the new KTM's (especially two strokes) is just down right not acceptable. Cases breaking after 15 hrs, reeds being jacked up from the factory, shocks blowing out left and right, springs breaking right and left etc. Anyone know if they are warrantying any of these issues? I mean if you're paying 8K plus for a new bike, the last thing you wanna do if spend another G on cases that malfunctioned..
*and for those that are unaware the case issue is the idler gear post snapping off the case causing the clutch to lock up the motor. Have seen 3 already (150 SX, 250 XC & SX). Consider this your fair warning..
|
BobPA
3/27/2017 8:07pm
Sounds like no one should buy those junks
DerickYZ
3/27/2017 8:10pm
RockyRider wrote:
For starters this isn't a brand bashing post, but what the hell KTM. The amount of problems I'm seeing with the new KTM's (especially two strokes)...
For starters this isn't a brand bashing post, but what the hell KTM. The amount of problems I'm seeing with the new KTM's (especially two strokes) is just down right not acceptable. Cases breaking after 15 hrs, reeds being jacked up from the factory, shocks blowing out left and right, springs breaking right and left etc. Anyone know if they are warrantying any of these issues? I mean if you're paying 8K plus for a new bike, the last thing you wanna do if spend another G on cases that malfunctioned..
*and for those that are unaware the case issue is the idler gear post snapping off the case causing the clutch to lock up the motor. Have seen 3 already (150 SX, 250 XC & SX). Consider this your fair warning..
I've seen this happen to my buddy's bike, 2017 KTM 250SX Drove all the way to Budds Creek, rode 3 laps then this happened. Long drive back for 10 minutes of riding.

I believe there was some type of warranty but I'm not sure if it was dealer or KTM. Only had 22 hours on it I believe.

I have a 2015 TC250 (KTM clone) and besides the steel rod suspension I love it. Doesn't have my '15 YZ250 suspension though Sad

3/27/2017 8:10pm
KTM might have one off issues however they stand behind their product. Some other brands not so much. I will buy a ktm in a heartbeat if it came with cone valve forks.
3/27/2017 8:11pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2017 8:16pm
Is the idler gear post available in an improved version, or just replace and pray?
Edit: just saw the photo. I see the case post now. Damn! Horrible!

The Shop

adamdf
3/27/2017 8:13pm
RockyRider wrote:
For starters this isn't a brand bashing post, but what the hell KTM. The amount of problems I'm seeing with the new KTM's (especially two strokes)...
My 17 450SXF dropped a valve at less than 2 hours and required a complete Top end. KTM honored everything, Bike is running great again, They stuck by their product and ill stick with them (so far)
Fog 25
Fantasy
1312th
3/27/2017 8:14pm
Had a 2012 300xc it pump the radiator fluid from day one. Found out it was a crack head after a complete rebuild and changing out the barrel and head. Will never buy another KTM again.
3/27/2017 8:15pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2017 8:17pm
Seems like a tough thing for a mfctr to hide from. Lets see how its handled.
cable
3/27/2017 8:18pm
wasn't there also a foot peg spring issue. I am really wanting one, but damn.
3/27/2017 8:19pm
Saw first hand a rod going through the front of the motor 16 ktm 250f 10,hours i believe. Ktm warrantied it right away. Ill still buy one. Just stick cone valves on the production bike. Not like they are that much more to produce.
Jack_Mehoff
Fantasy
55th
3/27/2017 8:26pm
My 350 has been good so far(72 hours) My friends husky fc 250 had 1st gear go out and it took the cases with it at around 40 hours. Husky paid for all of it though. The majority of bikes will be fine and ktm stands behind their product.
3/27/2017 8:42pm
From what ive read, they have had some problems, but they are very good about fixing premature failures
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
3/27/2017 8:57pm
We can make a post like this for every brand. I know people that have had problems with new Kawi's, Honda's and Yamaha's... All we can hope is that they stand behind what they sell.
hillbilly
3/27/2017 9:05pm
In 85 i had their 1st wc 500. They were constantly sending parts in the mail that they had upgraded.

One was the side case with waterpump housing. It was magnesium and antifreeze ate them up.

One day the shock shaft comes. I'm like damn,why this. Pulled mine off and the clevice was fractured close to failure.

Still have it hung on the wall,I think Magoo got caught out by one in Europe.
Bruce372
3/27/2017 9:14pm
According to the mags, the Suzukis are the most unreliable and poorly made. Total bullocks.

Just bought a 2017 husky....

Front brake master cylinder leaked.

Oil pressure check bolt on bottom of the engine leaked.

Clutch slave cylinder had major oil leak.

Fantastic bike though, but I decided to keep my rmz450 since I know it will still run after the nuclear holocaust
MMCDan
3/27/2017 9:16pm
A handful of failures out of thousands of units sold does not prove serial defect, at least not to me.

With all due respect to the OP, you are naïve to think this will never happen just because you ride one brand or another. These are high performance machines, operating in hostile environments, being maintained by non-professionals (in most cases) so something is going to let go eventually.

I have recent, first-hand experience with major failures on Yamaha (2014 YZ250F shift assembly failure @ 17 hours, $2100) and Honda (2015 CRF450 5th gear failure @ 9 hours, $2000) and neither OEM would answer my calls. I have yet to suffer a KTM failure but from what I have read on various forums it appears that they do a better job of supporting their customers than any of the Japanese OEMs.
Matt6505
3/27/2017 9:37pm
MMCDan wrote:
A handful of failures out of thousands of units sold does not prove serial defect, at least not to me. With all due respect to the...
A handful of failures out of thousands of units sold does not prove serial defect, at least not to me.

With all due respect to the OP, you are naïve to think this will never happen just because you ride one brand or another. These are high performance machines, operating in hostile environments, being maintained by non-professionals (in most cases) so something is going to let go eventually.

I have recent, first-hand experience with major failures on Yamaha (2014 YZ250F shift assembly failure @ 17 hours, $2100) and Honda (2015 CRF450 5th gear failure @ 9 hours, $2000) and neither OEM would answer my calls. I have yet to suffer a KTM failure but from what I have read on various forums it appears that they do a better job of supporting their customers than any of the Japanese OEMs.
I can back up that KTM support their customers well, had a head issue at 20hours on my 17 450.
Ended up with a fresh motor as their was damage to the bottom end/casings.

Had a friend fry a clutch on a brand new Honda in 2 hours, basket was completely ruined, couldn't even get a discount on a new assembly.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
3/27/2017 9:48pm
Yall should send me your KTMs for proper disposal.
kiwifan
3/27/2017 9:56pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2017 10:02pm
KTM will address these issues and thats great....so whats the problem? Unless you lose a race and series/championship due to a catastrophic engine failure, then no biggie?
Lucifa.
3/27/2017 10:02pm
RockyRider wrote:
It wouldn't even be 1% of the 2017's sold around the world that have problems. So that's not bad.

Lucifa.
3/27/2017 10:03pm
So really, you're making a bigger issue out of nothing.
3/27/2017 10:19pm
We can make a post like this for every brand. I know people that have had problems with new Kawi's, Honda's and Yamaha's... All we can...
We can make a post like this for every brand. I know people that have had problems with new Kawi's, Honda's and Yamaha's... All we can hope is that they stand behind what they sell.
Not when there are 5+ issues from a single freaking year. This is absolutely abysmal quality control.
3/27/2017 10:21pm
MMCDan wrote:
A handful of failures out of thousands of units sold does not prove serial defect, at least not to me. With all due respect to the...

There are 2 build threads of 2017 Husqarnas TC125s RIGHT NOW and the reeds are literally useless. The reeds are absolutely a serial defect and it's unthinkable that they let them ship out like this. Seriously, go look at Jeffro's build and come back to me saying that.
wsc96
Fantasy
474th
3/27/2017 10:30pm
With such a short development life cycle on these bikes this kind of thing makes me nervous.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
3/27/2017 11:06pm
RockyRider wrote:
Thanks, should I sell?! Silly
MMCDan
3/27/2017 11:16pm
There are 2 build threads of 2017 Husqarnas TC125s RIGHT NOW and the reeds are literally useless. The reeds are absolutely a serial defect and it's...
There are 2 build threads of 2017 Husqarnas TC125s RIGHT NOW and the reeds are literally useless. The reeds are absolutely a serial defect and it's unthinkable that they let them ship out like this. Seriously, go look at Jeffro's build and come back to me saying that.
Perhaps you and I have a different definition of serial defect. I have a 2017 KTM 250SX and rode it for 5 hours before replacing the stock reed cage with a VForce. My reeds had a gap just like all the others I read about on Jeffeo's thread, KTMTalk, ThumperTalk, etc. and the bike ran fine and only marginally different/better with the VForce.

How about you come back to me when you have some actual experience with the issue.

Motofinne
3/27/2017 11:16pm
MMCDan wrote:

There are 2 build threads of 2017 Husqarnas TC125s RIGHT NOW and the reeds are literally useless. The reeds are absolutely a serial defect and it's...
I find it weird that they haven't recalled or replaced those reeds.

Usually when things like this happens, KTM fixes it right away.
RockyRider
Fantasy
3372nd
3/27/2017 11:30pm
wsc96 wrote:
With such a short development life cycle on these bikes this kind of thing makes me nervous.
Exactly what I'm getting at.. You couldn't get me to buy one of these bikes right now even at half cost. It just seems like they cheaped out on materials, rushed deadlines, didn't do the proper R&D etc. I get that they can't be perfect but sooner or later they are gonna have to address all these issues with some sort of recall like they've done in the past.
I hope ya'll got the XC version so when that gear breaks you can just use the e start.. Blush
Crush
3/28/2017 12:23am
Not great they're having any issues, never is... Haven't seen too many stories where it hasn't been taken care of properly tho...
Lastander
3/28/2017 1:01am
I posted in a similar thread back ago about people breaking their ktm/husky frames, and got bashed by some thud who probably works for them.
Ive seen a number of broken frames, gearboxes and such through -16 and -17 bikes.
Owned a -16 450sxf, NEVER AGAIN.

Post a reply to: 2017 KTM Ticking time bombs..

The Latest