2017 Electric Start CRF450R - VIDEO/PHOTOS

GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4018th
kiwifan
7/3/2015 10:20pm
Hmmm might only be on Kawasaki in 2016 lol Electric start, twin cam head, holeshot device perhaps....hmmm
kiwifan
7/3/2015 10:22pm
Frame also looks different shape....outside surface, may not mean much except less weight?
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
7/3/2015 10:25pm
For all the guys with old injuries on the right side, electric start is a blessing. My kick around bike i use at home and around the farm is a Ktm electric start. I would use a 4 wheeler if it wasn't for having the electric start

The Shop

kiwifan
7/4/2015 2:50am
imoto34 wrote:
For all the guys with old injuries on the right side, electric start is a blessing. My kick around bike i use at home and around...
For all the guys with old injuries on the right side, electric start is a blessing. My kick around bike i use at home and around the farm is a Ktm electric start. I would use a 4 wheeler if it wasn't for having the electric start
Yes, difference with the Honda (at least on the factory bike) is that it still has a kickstarter....good to know there is a plan B if the battery goes dead...whereas with the KTM you have to bump start or you are stuffed
7/4/2015 6:16am
imoto34 wrote:
For all the guys with old injuries on the right side, electric start is a blessing. My kick around bike i use at home and around...
kiwifan wrote:
Yes, difference with the Honda (at least on the factory bike) is that it still has a kickstarter....good to know there is a plan B if...
Yes, difference with the Honda (at least on the factory bike) is that it still has a kickstarter....good to know there is a plan B if the battery goes dead...whereas with the KTM you have to bump start or you are stuffed
it wont have a kickstarter in production. that's a decaration
h&m_cycle
7/4/2015 6:30am
I heard they're adding a third pipe...
7/4/2015 11:37am Edited Date/Time 7/4/2015 3:09pm
Thank you KTM!!!! KTM's delivery of better and lighter bikes is pushing the Japanese manufacturers. With the lighter Kawasaki's and electric start on the Honda.. I don't think it would be happening w/o KTM.

I like the new Honda look.. plastic side plate where the shock adjuster used to be is a little funky. I wonder what is going on with the rear shock.. the shock body is much, much lower and closer to swing arm than in the past. Longer body or mounted low?

Oh how I wish they would dump the extra muffler. Extra muffler, an additional camshaft, electric start and bigger shock body.. Honda may not be the lightest anymore. I haven't seen any shots of the left side top of shock area to see what the shock adjuster/ reservoir looks like.

mike
ML512
Fantasy
54th
7/4/2015 11:55am
Thank you KTM!!!! KTM's delivery of better and lighter bikes is pushing the Japanese manufacturers. With the lighter Kawasaki's and electric start on the Honda.. I...
Thank you KTM!!!! KTM's delivery of better and lighter bikes is pushing the Japanese manufacturers. With the lighter Kawasaki's and electric start on the Honda.. I don't think it would be happening w/o KTM.

I like the new Honda look.. plastic side plate where the shock adjuster used to be is a little funky. I wonder what is going on with the rear shock.. the shock body is much, much lower and closer to swing arm than in the past. Longer body or mounted low?

Oh how I wish they would dump the extra muffler. Extra muffler, an additional camshaft, electric start and bigger shock body.. Honda may not be the lightest anymore. I haven't seen any shots of the left side top of shock area to see what the shock adjuster/ reservoir looks like.

mike
As for Kawasaki and Honda's weight lost, I think everyone is just moving that way. It's impossible to claim that KTM's latest weight loss is the reason for Honda and Kawi to follow suit, as their development cycle is much longer (Kawasaki had a ride-able prototype in the states of their 16 450 in 2012 for instance).
Xeno
7/4/2015 12:08pm
Where is the throttle body??? Shocked

JW381
7/4/2015 12:53pm
Xeno wrote:
Where is the throttle body??? :ohmy: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/07/04/96673/s1200_Screen_Shot_2015_07_04_at_12.07.09_PM.jpg[/img]
Where is the throttle body??? Shocked

Where the airbox usually is.
JW381
7/4/2015 12:54pm
Thank you KTM!!!! KTM's delivery of better and lighter bikes is pushing the Japanese manufacturers. With the lighter Kawasaki's and electric start on the Honda.. I...

mike
ML512 wrote:
As for Kawasaki and Honda's weight lost, I think everyone is just moving that way. It's impossible to claim that KTM's latest weight loss is the...
As for Kawasaki and Honda's weight lost, I think everyone is just moving that way. It's impossible to claim that KTM's latest weight loss is the reason for Honda and Kawi to follow suit, as their development cycle is much longer (Kawasaki had a ride-able prototype in the states of their 16 450 in 2012 for instance).
That's so nuts to think about. I've heard stuff like that before, but it's always crazy to imagine these new bikes being such old news to the R&D guys.
kiwifan
7/4/2015 1:29pm
imoto34 wrote:
kiwifan wrote:
Yes, difference with the Honda (at least on the factory bike) is that it still has a kickstarter....good to know there is a plan B if...
it wont have a kickstarter in production. that's a decaration
well we dont know that yet do we....
kiwifan
7/4/2015 1:30pm

mike
ML512 wrote:
As for Kawasaki and Honda's weight lost, I think everyone is just moving that way. It's impossible to claim that KTM's latest weight loss is the...
and the honda used to the be lightest, and WERE the first to go into the weight loss programme
gharmon
7/4/2015 2:02pm
I'm a Honda guy and sold mine about 3 months ago due to injuries and was dead set on a new ktm when I return. That decision was due to e start.
I would definitely but a Honda with e start.

My problem isn't the right side of my body, my left foot doesn't work good anymore so I can't shift up. Maybe someone will come out with an e-shift. That would be an easy purchase choice then. Oh well wishful thinking.
7/4/2015 11:13pm
I see the pipe is tucked in different it splits right after the kick starter right over to the left. Over the back side of the motor in front of the shock and up by the left frame spar. So does that mean it's a different airbox possibly a straighter intake?
kiwifan
7/4/2015 11:42pm
I see the pipe is tucked in different it splits right after the kick starter right over to the left. Over the back side of the...
I see the pipe is tucked in different it splits right after the kick starter right over to the left. Over the back side of the motor in front of the shock and up by the left frame spar. So does that mean it's a different airbox possibly a straighter intake?
yes, and given the twin cam engine, I expect its power characteristics to be totally different, going to be a very interesting 2017 if it is a good unit
brimx153
7/5/2015 12:05am
looks really cool , only thing i have against it ,is it looks tiny .the honda at the mo is by far the smallest bike out there .and this looks smaller again. but deff cant wait to get a go on one . still imo the 08 crf was the best bike ever made to this day
jtiger12
7/5/2015 4:04am
Everyone is saying twin cam, but in this picture above the head and valve cover look almost identical to the 2009-2016 configuration. I just don't see there being enough room there for 2 cams unless they are tiny and driven off of 1 cam chain sprocket
Cygnus
7/5/2015 9:40am Edited Date/Time 7/5/2015 9:41am
jtiger12 wrote:
Everyone is saying twin cam, but in this picture above the head and valve cover look almost identical to the 2009-2016 configuration. I just don't see...
Everyone is saying twin cam, but in this picture above the head and valve cover look almost identical to the 2009-2016 configuration. I just don't see there being enough room there for 2 cams unless they are tiny and driven off of 1 cam chain sprocket
Yes definetly a unicam head. Liking the downdraft of the Intake also.
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
7/5/2015 10:35am Edited Date/Time 7/5/2015 10:35am
They air box panels look hacked upclose. I wouldn't be suprised to see different styling in the back before it hits the production line
TeamGreen
7/5/2015 1:51pm
MxKing809 wrote:
They air box panels look hacked upclose. I wouldn't be suprised to see different styling in the back before it hits the production line
Very, very, VERY Different.
BAMX
7/5/2015 2:15pm
EGT sensor...Are they going closed loop or is that just for testing?
Xeno
7/5/2015 3:41pm Edited Date/Time 7/5/2015 3:42pm
Some more engine close ups. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/07/05/96846/s1200_NM_7073_1024x682.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/07/05/96847/s1200_MG_0130_1024x689.jpg[/img]
Some more engine close ups.

Thanks for posting these pics. I'm sure this is a twin-cam engine.
The swingarm pivot bolt enters from the left instead of the right.
I expect the production bodywork to change quite a bit, too.
jtiger12
7/5/2015 4:14pm
Most interesting feature so far is the throttle body position.shit was already tight in that area. This configuration will be a BITCH to check valve clearance.
kiwifan
7/12/2015 4:48pm
jtiger12 wrote:
Everyone is saying twin cam, but in this picture above the head and valve cover look almost identical to the 2009-2016 configuration. I just don't see...
Cygnus wrote:
Yes definetly a unicam head. Liking the downdraft of the Intake also.
To me its looks like a different sized head...the whole cylinder looks a bit bigger imho

Post a reply to: 2017 Electric Start CRF450R - VIDEO/PHOTOS

The Latest