2017 CRF450 problems?

RickA
Edited Date/Time 2/21/2019 4:13pm
Has anyone heard of the new Honda 450 having issues such as, frame cracking.. crankcase filling up with fuel, motors locking up, or anything else?

I have a friend looking to buy one, but a loud mouth jackass I know keeps saying the new CRF450 is riddled with problems. Just curious to hear what people have to say
|
rmstrg
5/13/2017 6:17pm
Grips turn on bars, need to be wired or glued. What a POS! It's so much better than pervious years. Good power suspension a little stiff but def can be ridden in stock form.
rider41
5/13/2017 6:40pm
The major pain in my ass when it comes to my 17 is the hour meter. Thing just spins. Almost at 40 hours, no problems.
rmstrg
5/13/2017 6:42pm
Remember that the '18 is advertised to have e start, so get a great deal on the '17 or wait. '18's are supposed to hit the USA in July, hopefully

The Shop

kiwifan
5/13/2017 7:13pm
RickA wrote:
Has anyone heard of the new Honda 450 having issues such as, frame cracking.. crankcase filling up with fuel, motors locking up, or anything else? I...
Has anyone heard of the new Honda 450 having issues such as, frame cracking.. crankcase filling up with fuel, motors locking up, or anything else?

I have a friend looking to buy one, but a loud mouth jackass I know keeps saying the new CRF450 is riddled with problems. Just curious to hear what people have to say
I know 6 people with one including myself (mainly R's)...not one single problem....I see some comments about grips...all the guys I know safety wire their grips before even riding them so never had that issue.

The only thing I do highly recommend is re-mapping.....
NeedMoto
5/13/2017 7:25pm
RickA wrote:
Has anyone heard of the new Honda 450 having issues such as, frame cracking.. crankcase filling up with fuel, motors locking up, or anything else? I...

kiwifan wrote:
I know 6 people with one including myself (mainly R's)...not one single problem....I see some comments about grips...all the guys I know safety wire their grips...
I know 6 people with one including myself (mainly R's)...not one single problem....I see some comments about grips...all the guys I know safety wire their grips before even riding them so never had that issue.

The only thing I do highly recommend is re-mapping.....
Same ^^^
Many moto hours, not a single problem. Only complaint is, that I don't have more time to ride it.

As Kiwi mentions get a remap. Runs smoother and starts first kick for each moto.

Extremely happy with my R modelSmile
HenryA
5/14/2017 4:18am
A few cracked engine cases in the CRF450 17 thread here on Vital
Old&New
5/14/2017 4:24am
The 18 will be shipping before you can get parts for the 17 plus the bike cost less including the electric start.

Honda really screwed over the people who purchased the 17.
cjmx
Fantasy
1187th
5/14/2017 6:10am
No issues with my '17. As others said get a good deal on a '17. 18's will be full price and who knows if they'll actually be available in July.

Mine starts so easily, currently I see no need for an electric start.
neysbo
5/14/2017 7:38am
Who does the remaps, is Tokyo Mods the place ?

Also does it change all 3 settings or
just one?
Superdave19
5/14/2017 8:29am
27 hrs in mine- All good. Re-map by Tokyo- 1st one is STD, second is Torque, and third is aggressive.
Don't think I'd want an 18' just because the E Start is std... I'll kick it and save 6-7 lbs thank you-
BobPA
5/14/2017 9:28am
27 hrs in mine- All good. Re-map by Tokyo- 1st one is STD, second is Torque, and third is aggressive. Don't think I'd want an 18'...
27 hrs in mine- All good. Re-map by Tokyo- 1st one is STD, second is Torque, and third is aggressive.
Don't think I'd want an 18' just because the E Start is std... I'll kick it and save 6-7 lbs thank you-
6-7lbs.....Get real bro
gsxr6
5/14/2017 9:59am
27 hrs in mine- All good. Re-map by Tokyo- 1st one is STD, second is Torque, and third is aggressive. Don't think I'd want an 18'...
BobPA wrote:
6-7lbs.....Get real bro
Exactly. More like 10 lbs
mxb2
5/14/2017 10:02am
BobPA wrote:
6-7lbs.....Get real bro
gsxr6 wrote:
2-3 lbs.
TeamGreen
5/14/2017 10:05am
Old&New wrote:
The 18 will be shipping before you can get parts for the 17 plus the bike cost less including the electric start. Honda really screwed over...
The 18 will be shipping before you can get parts for the 17 plus the bike cost less including the electric start.

Uh, no.

The '18 got a price increase (R) and the kicker is removed on BOTH models (the RX no-longer has a kicker for,the same price as a '17...you know, the '17 that HAS a kicker...). The kicker should be available in a kit...that's extra $, btw. Therefore, the "deal" for the electric-start crowd is on a remaining '17 RX...especially those Guy's that want both starters.

Parts for the '17 haven't been a problem for my friends that have '17s.

There were some cracked-cases at the kick-start-shaft early on and those were warrantied.

Truth be told, the '17 R would be the ultimate deal if you can find one when the '18s come out. Why? Less is more. No battery to maintain or replace. Less electrical crap. Easiest to make REALLY, REALLY LIGHT-WEIGHT...etc. All the while, I'll take a '17 RX (my personal scoot is coming from their race-pool of '17 RXs)...my shirt fat ass needs electric start when I stall it on the side of a hill!

So, uh...again...no...Honda screwed no-one. I've got more hours on the R and RX than I can count: they're BULLET PROOF. If they put a Wide Ratio in it and provide us with an actual "X" version? I'll be getting even MORE hours on Honda's new scoots.

My notes from hours on the '17:

I prefer a 48T on the rear of the RX & run the mild map for off-road...I even drop a tooth on the R (Glen Helen/Pala: I get more out of 2nd and 3rd...I'm an off-roader at heart).
I like the Andrew Short bend on both.
The wider tank-shrouds on the RX make it easier to hang on to with my legs.
Raptor or HRC pegs are truly nice (bigger).
RX engine hangers a slight mod (2-3mm hole mid-belt/go see HRC race bikes) make for a more steel-frame-like feel.
Guts seat foam and cover with ribs across the back to keep me "in the saddle".
These things REALLY LIKE VP T4!
PC system is actually QUIETER than the stock rattle-can system.
I'm amazed at Metzer's new "Mid" tires...even on hard-pack out in the Dez (with Michelin Bibs).
An R tank requires R shrouds (for those that're thinking about it for their RX!).
Strategically located Ti bolts that're are of fairly standard size (regular m6, m8 and m10) can pull a coupl'a pounds off.
A Galfer front rotor is tougher in the rocks (tho, this bike has a waaaay better stock rotor than the old ones).
Changing the front sprocket may be the easier/less expensive way to adjust hearing...and, always, get a new chain!
PC & FC seem to have the new forks figured out.
TeamGreen
5/14/2017 10:08am
BobPA wrote:
6-7lbs.....Get real bro
gsxr6 wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
2-3 lbs.
Yup

When you're comparing one versus the other...aka, removing one to install the other...all parts inclusive: 2-3 pounds (depending on what fasteners you used).
gsxr6
5/14/2017 10:18am
Well Honda is claiming it weighs 5lbs more so idk.. plus that's with a lithium battery and no kicker.
kiwifan
5/14/2017 12:14pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Uh, no. The '18 got a price increase (R) and the kicker is removed on BOTH models (the RX no-longer has a kicker for,the same price...
Uh, no.

The '18 got a price increase (R) and the kicker is removed on BOTH models (the RX no-longer has a kicker for,the same price as a '17...you know, the '17 that HAS a kicker...). The kicker should be available in a kit...that's extra $, btw. Therefore, the "deal" for the electric-start crowd is on a remaining '17 RX...especially those Guy's that want both starters.

There were some cracked-cases at the kick-start-shaft early on and those were warrantied.

Truth be told, the '17 R would be the ultimate deal if you can find one when the '18s come out. Why? Less is more. No battery to maintain or replace. Less electrical crap. Easiest to make REALLY, REALLY LIGHT-WEIGHT...etc. All the while, I'll take a '17 RX (my personal scoot is coming from their race-pool of '17 RXs)...my shirt fat ass needs electric start when I stall it on the side of a hill!

So, uh...again...no...Honda screwed no-one. I've got more hours on the R and RX than I can count: they're BULLET PROOF. If they put a Wide Ratio in it and provide us with an actual "X" version? I'll be getting even MORE hours on Honda's new scoots.

I prefer a 48T on the rear of the RX & run the mild map for off-road...I even drop a tooth on the R (Glen Helen/Pala: I get more out of 2nd and 3rd...I'm an off-roader at heart).
RX engine hangers a slight mod (2-3mm hole mid-belt/go see HRC race bikes) make for a more steel-frame-like feel.
I'm amazed at Metzer's new "Mid" tires...even on hard-pack out in the Dez (with Michelin Bibs).
An R tank requires R shrouds (for those that're thinking about it for their RX!).
Strategically located Ti bolts that're are of fairly standard size (regular m6, m8 and m10) can pull a coupl'a pounds off.
A Galfer front rotor is tougher in the rocks (tho, this bike has a waaaay better stock rotor than the old ones).
Changing the front sprocket may be the easier/less expensive way to adjust hearing...and, always, get a new chain!
you cant beat real facts eh?

I must look into the engine hangers, I wasnt aware of that mod ....thanks for the tips!!!
TeamGreen
5/14/2017 12:38pm
Here's the bike I used for tire testing in April. The Hanger with hole is visible just above the Kickstarter (that I never use; but, it's there IF I need it!)

Here are the Metzler's I'm thoroughly enjoying for the track and off-road:

kiwifan
5/14/2017 2:03pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Here's the bike I used for tire testing in April. The Hanger with hole is visible just above the Kickstarter (that I never use; but, it's...
Here's the bike I used for tire testing in April. The Hanger with hole is visible just above the Kickstarter (that I never use; but, it's there IF I need it!)

Here are the Metzler's I'm thoroughly enjoying for the track and off-road:

ah I can just see it...hmmm I might give that a go. I can always buy a new hanger if I dont like the mod...or maybe even switch between the two if need be ...anyway awesome and thanks!...p.s. gee I like those tires, never tried them before.
kiwifan
5/14/2017 2:07pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Uh, no. The '18 got a price increase (R) and the kicker is removed on BOTH models (the RX no-longer has a kicker for,the same price...
Uh, no.

Slightly off topic, you can get kick start kits for KTM/Huskys too cant you?
xr70
5/14/2017 2:17pm Edited Date/Time 5/14/2017 2:18pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Uh, no.

kiwifan wrote:
No u can't.
BobPA
5/14/2017 2:19pm
xr70 wrote:
No u can't.
SX's you would have to change the outer case
vetmxr
5/14/2017 3:22pm
i probably wouldnt buy a bike without backup kickstart
kiwifan
5/14/2017 3:24pm
BobPA wrote:
SX's you would have to change the outer case
oh thats a bummer, ok thanks
TeamGreen
5/14/2017 3:40pm Edited Date/Time 5/14/2017 9:40pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Uh, no.

kiwifan wrote:
Yes, you can: however, for the SXFs you'll need to change to EXC type cases (left side case and side cover) and that's a lot of $. There are kick kits for the bikes that have the kick-start boss.
Old&New
5/14/2017 4:27pm
Old&New wrote:
The 18 will be shipping before you can get parts for the 17 plus the bike cost less including the electric start. Honda really screwed over...

TeamGreen wrote:
Uh, no.

The 2017 sells for $8795. The electric start including installation is $1,000. The electric start kit is back ordered with no ETA from Honda.

With the 2018 costing $9195 including electric start ($500 less than adding to the 17) and shipping in 2 months I feel 100% screwed over by Honda.

Either you don't pay retail for your shit or you can't do basic math.

Rosebud117
5/14/2017 5:42pm
Old&New wrote:

TeamGreen wrote:
Uh, no.

Old&New wrote:
The 2017 sells for $8795. The electric start including installation is $1,000. The electric start kit is back ordered with no ETA from Honda. With the...
The 2017 sells for $8795. The electric start including installation is $1,000. The electric start kit is back ordered with no ETA from Honda.

With the 2018 costing $9195 including electric start ($500 less than adding to the 17) and shipping in 2 months I feel 100% screwed over by Honda.

Either you don't pay retail for your shit or you can't do basic math.

So uh...yes Honda screwed us over. Old&New made the math easy for you TeamGreen....and your statement about parts available is total bullshit. I have had my sub-frame on order since February 6, and was just told it will be at least another month. Most OEM parts are on nationwide back order. So the 18 bike will probably be out before I can get parts for my 17. Yeah, I feel screwed over....so much so that my 18 bike will probably not be a Honda.
BobPA
5/14/2017 7:46pm
vetmxr wrote:
i probably wouldnt buy a bike without backup kickstart
No reason for it...

Post a reply to: 2017 CRF450 problems?

The Latest