2017 CRF450 E-Start

dylanv21
For the people that have the electric start on the new Honda. What are your opinions on it once installed? Is the bike hard to start when its cold? Did you leave the kickstarter on?
|
MBR
2/27/2017 9:56pm
It good, no problems so far. We didn't leave the kickstarts on.
HOD913
2/28/2017 6:31am
I got mine have not put it on yet. Really did not know you could leave the kicker on I thought it had to be plugged off?
sdjeff
2/28/2017 7:57am Edited Date/Time 2/28/2017 7:59am
I love it so far. I didn't leave the kickstarter on either. It's my first E-start bike and the thought of kicking it seems so archaic now. I did pay through the nose though; my dealer charged me 11 hours for labor.

I should probably make a separate thread but looking for options to put my ARC perch back on. The new perch has the little micro switch inside to complete the circuit so you can only start the bike with the clutch pulled in. There's two options I can think of - wire up an on/off switch(thanks to Menninen bros for the idea) which would add yet another switch to the bars or connect the two wires so the circuit is always completed. I noticed HRC Hondas have no switch and are running their ARC perches so I'm assuming they just connected the two wires. Is there any danger in that other than hitting the button without the clutch pulled in?
ML512
Fantasy
54th
2/28/2017 8:00am
sdjeff wrote:
I love it so far. I didn't leave the kickstarter on either. It's my first E-start bike and the thought of kicking it seems so archaic...
I love it so far. I didn't leave the kickstarter on either. It's my first E-start bike and the thought of kicking it seems so archaic now. I did pay through the nose though; my dealer charged me 11 hours for labor.

I should probably make a separate thread but looking for options to put my ARC perch back on. The new perch has the little micro switch inside to complete the circuit so you can only start the bike with the clutch pulled in. There's two options I can think of - wire up an on/off switch(thanks to Menninen bros for the idea) which would add yet another switch to the bars or connect the two wires so the circuit is always completed. I noticed HRC Hondas have no switch and are running their ARC perches so I'm assuming they just connected the two wires. Is there any danger in that other than hitting the button without the clutch pulled in?
Splice the wires together, it completes the circuit. That's what the team was doing and I have a few friends that have done it already.

The Shop

sdjeff
2/28/2017 8:20am
ML512 wrote:
Splice the wires together, it completes the circuit. That's what the team was doing and I have a few friends that have done it already.
Thanks ML!
captmoto
2/28/2017 8:27am
sdjeff wrote:
I love it so far. I didn't leave the kickstarter on either. It's my first E-start bike and the thought of kicking it seems so archaic...

Yowza!! 11 hours? Plus the kit? Makes that bike about $1000 more than a KTM/Husky doesn't it?
NeedMoto
2/28/2017 10:33am
sdjeff wrote:

captmoto wrote:
Yowza!! 11 hours? Plus the kit? Makes that bike about $1000 more than a KTM/Husky doesn't it?
My thoughts exactly... Yowza!! 11 hours? Quotes from a few dealers in my hour, 4 hours.
sdjeff
2/28/2017 10:57am
captmoto wrote:
Yep yowza is right! The dealer sucks but I don't have many options in my area. I was able to get them to credit me an hour for being the guinea pig which they weren't happy giving up. I've read about 5 hours is typical for this bike.
dylanv21
3/1/2017 12:05pm
MBR wrote:
It good, no problems so far. We didn't leave the kickstarts on.
No problems when it's cold out in the morning for it to start? I work at a dealership and talked to a customer that had his electric start installed and he said the bike did not want to start in the morning when it's cold out. He left the kick starter on it, and he could fire it up first kick no problem, but no luck with e-start.

Not sure on what to do with mine. Leave the kickstarter or to remove it. Don't want to be stuck out at the truck with a dead battery lol
HOD913
3/1/2017 12:25pm
i have my kit just need to install it. Is there any parts needed extra to leave kicker on?
22Ryann
Fantasy
4098th
3/1/2017 12:26pm
Not sure if you guys seen that Video explaining the whole process, it actually is fairly involved the installation.. 11 hours might be pushing it but. I can imagine if it's there first one maybe
kiwifan
3/1/2017 12:33pm
22Ryann wrote:
Not sure if you guys seen that Video explaining the whole process, it actually is fairly involved the installation.. 11 hours might be pushing it but...
Not sure if you guys seen that Video explaining the whole process, it actually is fairly involved the installation.. 11 hours might be pushing it but. I can imagine if it's there first one maybe
I agree 11 hours sounds incompetant for a dealership....my mate did his on his own (he followed the video you mentioned), he had it done in 6 hours ..and is very happy with the result
MBR
3/1/2017 1:04pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2017 1:07pm
dylanv21 wrote:
No problems when it's cold out in the morning for it to start? I work at a dealership and talked to a customer that had his...
No problems when it's cold out in the morning for it to start? I work at a dealership and talked to a customer that had his electric start installed and he said the bike did not want to start in the morning when it's cold out. He left the kick starter on it, and he could fire it up first kick no problem, but no luck with e-start.

Not sure on what to do with mine. Leave the kickstarter or to remove it. Don't want to be stuck out at the truck with a dead battery lol
I'm from Finland and it gets pretty cold here Wink At least we haven't had any problems with it when started at the track with -9 Celsius (around 15 Fahrenheit). BTW here is our team rider Erno Aro who is also the guy on the electric start installation video. He is kind of rider who knows both how to wrench and ride Smile
pete24
3/1/2017 2:00pm
11 is not unfeisable , specailly on a used bike thats dirty, you have to take apart the ride side of the engine, take the cam out, replace the wirring harrness, all that on a dirty used clam id say i woundnt do it for less than ten hrs,take you over an hour to strip the plastic and just clean the thing good enough to work on, now a new bike for a guy whos done maybe for or five kits, maybe get that time down some
dylanv21
3/1/2017 2:45pm
dylanv21 wrote:
No problems when it's cold out in the morning for it to start? I work at a dealership and talked to a customer that had his...

MBR wrote:
I'm from Finland and it gets pretty cold here ;) At least we haven't had any problems with it when started at the track with -9...
I'm from Finland and it gets pretty cold here Wink At least we haven't had any problems with it when started at the track with -9 Celsius (around 15 Fahrenheit). BTW here is our team rider Erno Aro who is also the guy on the electric start installation video. He is kind of rider who knows both how to wrench and ride Smile
What kind of battery did you guys put in it?
sdjeff
3/1/2017 2:47pm
pete24 wrote:
11 is not unfeisable , specailly on a used bike thats dirty, you have to take apart the ride side of the engine, take the cam...
11 is not unfeisable , specailly on a used bike thats dirty, you have to take apart the ride side of the engine, take the cam out, replace the wirring harrness, all that on a dirty used clam id say i woundnt do it for less than ten hrs,take you over an hour to strip the plastic and just clean the thing good enough to work on, now a new bike for a guy whos done maybe for or five kits, maybe get that time down some
My bike had 1.5 hours on it and not a spec of dirt since I'm a clean freak with it. It was the dealers first time though.
pete24
3/1/2017 4:32pm
pete24 wrote:
11 is not unfeisable , specailly on a used bike thats dirty, you have to take apart the ride side of the engine, take the cam...
sdjeff wrote:
My bike had 1.5 hours on it and not a spec of dirt since I'm a clean freak with it. It was the dealers first time...
My bike had 1.5 hours on it and not a spec of dirt since I'm a clean freak with it. It was the dealers first time though.
sure it wasnt dirty, it was undeneath evey thing there is dirt every where and if your dealer didnt take all the plastic off and wash it before he did the kit then you can thank him for dropping dirt in your motor
3/3/2017 1:59am
installed on for a mate GOLD no issues . adds a bit of weight left kicker in but only cause the kit didnt come with the plug and hes still waiting on it .

Post a reply to: 2017 CRF450 E-Start

The Latest