2017 250SX & TC's now the best 2T?

I think these new 250 KTM/Husky's will be the best production 2T 250 motocrossers ever. The last few years they have been in good competition with new and old rebuilt Jap offerings when in race state, and the development and their design and build quality has really caught up (anyone who's been around long enough and rode old KTM's will know what I'm talking about), and you could argue the last few years what's best depending on your riding style/knowledge/back up/taste, but these new generation of KTM MXers I feel are going to be just that much better you'll need to spend the time and resources DB has to be competitive. The new era of forks and suspension, mass centralization, a counter balancer with no vibs and ridable power delivery is going to wake up the East. My pick is for the husky to win the shootouts also as their suspension engineers seem to have a better feel than the KTM guys IMO.

Flame away!

|
6/10/2016 2:18am
Well I guess it would be to someone who gets as many free bikes as you
kiwifan
6/10/2016 2:42am
Well I guess it would be to someone who gets as many free bikes as you
touche

The Shop

hellion
6/10/2016 3:08am
I'd love to have either, mainly because I like shiny new toys. But, listening to the early ride reports, it doesn't sound like they are game changers. I haven't heard one test where the rider was saying these things are the fastest two strokes ever. Or that their suspension is so great. What I've taken away so far, is that they vibrate less. That was a problem with the previous design. The fork is better than the 4cs, but what isn't? I've heard one tester complain of harshness already. Most report that the power is broad with no big hit, in two stroke talk, that means slow.

That said, my next ride will likely be a TC. I don't really put too much stock in all these tests anyway. Once I got done setting up my last two bikes, SX250 and YZ250, I could barely tell the difference riding them back to back.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
6/10/2016 3:11am
I'm interested if they carry on with the 300sx kit with the new counterbalance motor?
kiwifan
6/10/2016 3:15am
Best 2 stroke ever made right here[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/06/10/138523/s1200_image.jpg[/img]
Best 2 stroke ever made right here

I agree, I rode one last year....loved it!!!
Motofinne
6/10/2016 3:25am Edited Date/Time 6/10/2016 3:26am
At least the EU(AER48 fork, not the 4cs) 2016 KTM 125 was in my opinion a better bike than the Yamaha 2016 125.

I think i'll have the opportunity to ride all the 2017 KTMs in the summer on a demo day so i can't say anything about the new 250 but it looks really promising.
6/10/2016 3:32am
hellion wrote:
I'd love to have either, mainly because I like shiny new toys. But, listening to the early ride reports, it doesn't sound like they are game...
I'd love to have either, mainly because I like shiny new toys. But, listening to the early ride reports, it doesn't sound like they are game changers. I haven't heard one test where the rider was saying these things are the fastest two strokes ever. Or that their suspension is so great. What I've taken away so far, is that they vibrate less. That was a problem with the previous design. The fork is better than the 4cs, but what isn't? I've heard one tester complain of harshness already. Most report that the power is broad with no big hit, in two stroke talk, that means slow.

That said, my next ride will likely be a TC. I don't really put too much stock in all these tests anyway. Once I got done setting up my last two bikes, SX250 and YZ250, I could barely tell the difference riding them back to back.
And I know exactly what you mean about tests and the difference from stock to race condition as it's been many bikes since I rode stock. (and I'm not talking pipe, shorty and bling kit). What I'm seeing here is a lot more potential. Anyone who's done 2 stroke motor work previously will easily uncork more HP. But will that equate to faster lap times, especially at end of moto?
Plugga
6/10/2016 4:01am
kiwifan wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/06/10/138522/s1200_yawn.jpg[/img]

If you don't like the topic then don't post.
chump6784
6/10/2016 4:11am
"Best"is also subjective. I went from a 2007 RM 250 to a 2012 250 sx. The KTM had better brakes, had more power but was easier to use, turned into corners as well but drove out straighter and had the suspension set up by the same guy so they had a very similar feel but if I could do it all again I would have kept the RM and just gone through it and rebuilt it. The RM just felt right

I don't know if the changes mentioned will make the KTM that much better than the Yamaha to the point where it will show in lap times for those who aren't lining up in the pro class. Will be interesting to see as more ride reviews come out
slipdog
6/10/2016 5:43am
I'm rolling the dice and getting a tc250, just going to pray there's no first year issues like rod or gearbox failures. Luckily KTM/Husky seems to be on top of recall issues like that more so than the Japanese brands.
6/10/2016 5:50am
Both those bikes will be awesome, I just ordered the KTM after spending a few years riding 4 strokes. I think the new suspension is a quantum leap forward. It's going directly to factory connection then home to the compound to crank out the laps. I can't wait!
Fearo
6/10/2016 5:51am
All I can say is this vibration thing has been blown way out of propertion. I have been on 2 different SX250's since the summer of 2012 and NEVER have I had the feeling these bikes vibrated excessively, or more than any other bike.
cwtoyota
6/10/2016 6:15am
Fearo wrote:
All I can say is this vibration thing has been blown way out of propertion. I have been on 2 different SX250's since the summer of...
All I can say is this vibration thing has been blown way out of propertion. I have been on 2 different SX250's since the summer of 2012 and NEVER have I had the feeling these bikes vibrated excessively, or more than any other bike.
I have been racing two strokes my whole life and I feel the same about the vibration. It never even enters my mind while riding.

In my opinion the counterbalance system is the most interesting thing on the new KTM & Husky 250. I think reduced vibration and smoother power delivery will only help to bring two strokes back into the mainstream at amateur / local race tracks.
Cygnus
6/10/2016 6:25am Edited Date/Time 6/10/2016 6:26am
Lol counter balancers. That is old quad tech. Hell I think I worked on a three wheeler in the 80's with a counter balance.
Crush
6/10/2016 6:45am
Fearo wrote:
All I can say is this vibration thing has been blown way out of propertion. I have been on 2 different SX250's since the summer of...
cwtoyota wrote:
I have been racing two strokes my whole life and I feel the same about the vibration. It never even enters my mind while riding. In...
I have been racing two strokes my whole life and I feel the same about the vibration. It never even enters my mind while riding.

In my opinion the counterbalance system is the most interesting thing on the new KTM & Husky 250. I think reduced vibration and smoother power delivery will only help to bring two strokes back into the mainstream at amateur / local race tracks.
Me too...
jeffro503
6/10/2016 6:53am
Good thread Mr Underground , and I'm on your way of thinking. I'll have one of these two bikes in my shop within the next month or two.

Wonder what the ergo's and chassis's feel like compared to each other? I do know that I like the front fender of the Husky better. If I get a KTM , I wonder if I can get an orange Husky front fender? Hmm?

Both seem like sweet bikes!
YZ125H1
6/10/2016 7:30am Edited Date/Time 6/10/2016 7:31am
cwtoyota wrote:
I have been racing two strokes my whole life and I feel the same about the vibration. It never even enters my mind while riding. In...

Back when I had a 250f I took a spin on a KX250. Vibes made my feet numb after one lap. I think it had more to do with riding 4 strokes and being accustom to a lack of vibration. I have an RM250 and the vibration does not bother me at all.

With all the R&D in the new SX and TC it's hard not to jump ship. KTM/Husky is eventually going to get the suspension right it's only a matter of time.
jeffro503
6/10/2016 7:45am
Wondering if either ML or even Robbie could comment on what they feel the difference between the two bikes felt like? Maybe a break down to the likes and dislikes of each one?

Shootout ML? Which one did you like best? or is there really not much of a difference?
Frodad78
6/10/2016 7:49am
I've been enjoying the first ride videos that have surfaced lately. Its cool to see KTM putting a little R&D into their 2 stroke line. One of the test riders said the power is more linear, more fourstroke like. I think thats pretty interesting and wondering if its what we will see in the future regarding 2 strokes, aside maybe from 125s. Smart move by KTM making the smokers easier to ride, definitely makes them more inviting for someone making the switch from a 4 stroke. Good stuff

ML512
Fantasy
54th
6/10/2016 7:51am
jeffro503 wrote:
Wondering if either ML or even Robbie could comment on what they feel the difference between the two bikes felt like? Maybe a break down to...
Wondering if either ML or even Robbie could comment on what they feel the difference between the two bikes felt like? Maybe a break down to the likes and dislikes of each one?

Shootout ML? Which one did you like best? or is there really not much of a difference?
I'll have Robby jump in here, but I believe he preferred the Husky slightly over the KTM.

I'm working on a 250 two-stroke shootout...
Micahdogg
6/10/2016 7:52am
Best 2 stroke ever made right here[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/06/10/138523/s1200_image.jpg[/img]
Best 2 stroke ever made right here

I've heard this several times from other people who raced back in the day. And I said point blank, "Ok, so I gather taht these were good....but really....were they -THAT- good?" And they said yes. I'm 38, I grew up in the liquid cooled years. Can some of the old timers tell me what made that bike so good? And even through all of the 80's would it have been a capable machine? Into the 90's? What was it...build quality, geometry, handling?
c0ncEpT
6/10/2016 7:57am
cwtoyota wrote:

YZ125H1 wrote:
Back when I had a 250f I took a spin on a KX250. Vibes made my feet numb after one lap. I think it had more...
Back when I had a 250f I took a spin on a KX250. Vibes made my feet numb after one lap. I think it had more to do with riding 4 strokes and being accustom to a lack of vibration. I have an RM250 and the vibration does not bother me at all.

With all the R&D in the new SX and TC it's hard not to jump ship. KTM/Husky is eventually going to get the suspension right it's only a matter of time.
I agree 100%. I have a 16 YZ250F and a 15 TC125. I put WAY more hours on the YZ as that's my race bike and the TC is just for fun. When I get on the TC after about 5 laps my hands are damn near 100% numb from the vibration.

It's not something I couldn't get use to but I just don't put enough hours on the bike compared to the 4 stroke.
jtiger12
6/10/2016 8:18am
Is there any word on the 300 kit and the aer spring conversion? I have been waiting for the 2017 crf450, but this new ktm really has me interested in switching back over to the dark side.
Motofinne
6/10/2016 8:37am
jtiger12 wrote:
Is there any word on the 300 kit and the aer spring conversion? I have been waiting for the 2017 crf450, but this new ktm really...
Is there any word on the 300 kit and the aer spring conversion? I have been waiting for the 2017 crf450, but this new ktm really has me interested in switching back over to the dark side.
I know that KTM offers a 300 sxs kit for the 250 and there are multiple companies that offers spring conversion kits for the AER48 fork.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
6/10/2016 8:48am
jtiger12 wrote:
Is there any word on the 300 kit and the aer spring conversion? I have been waiting for the 2017 crf450, but this new ktm really...
Motofinne wrote:
I know that KTM offers a 300 sxs kit for the 250 and there are multiple companies that offers spring conversion kits for the AER48 fork.
WP has their own spring conversion kit as well: http://www.wp-group.com/en/wp-newsletter/

Post a reply to: 2017 250SX & TC's now the best 2T?

The Latest