2015 Yamaha YZ250F aftermarket exhaust systems

AKmotorider
Edited Date/Time 8/10/2014 7:15pm
First of all, I've never purchased a new motorcycle before, and something that is really confusing me is when the 2015's will be available. Multiple articles I've read tell me they are available in "June." Is that June of 2014 or 2015? I would love some clarification on that.

Now, back to the main topic. I am going to finally pick up a new machine next year, whether it be a 2015 or 2016 depending on whats available at my dealer. The model year, however, is besides the point. Among lubricating the bearings and a multitude of other things that I want to do to it right off the bat, one of them is going to be installing a new exhaust system. The purpose of doing so is to make it louder, plain and simple. Extra power is always nice, but that is not as important considering the new Yamaha's capabilities already. I will be purchasing a full exhaust system though. I've been racing a 2007 YZ250F with a full FMF exhaust system for 5 years now. I'm an old school kind of guy, but it's time to move on. My bike can't take it anymore. I cannot, however, get used to the sound of the stock exhaust system on new bikes. I test rode a buddy of mine's 2014 for a full day and it is simply too quiet. I could write another three paragraphs on why it is that I can't race a bike that is this quiet, but I'm not going to waste any more of your time and I ask that you don't waste mine with your opinions on noise.

I've always thought that Akrapovic looked pretty sexy on Yamaha's. What's your favorite brand of exhaust, and why? What do you suggest?

Oh, and will I need to buy a power tuner for the ECU if all I want to do is add exhaust?
|
ML512
Fantasy
54th
8/9/2014 7:09pm Edited Date/Time 8/9/2014 7:12pm
First of all, I've never purchased a new motorcycle before, and something that is really confusing me is when the 2015's will be available. Multiple articles...
First of all, I've never purchased a new motorcycle before, and something that is really confusing me is when the 2015's will be available. Multiple articles I've read tell me they are available in "June." Is that June of 2014 or 2015? I would love some clarification on that.

Now, back to the main topic. I am going to finally pick up a new machine next year, whether it be a 2015 or 2016 depending on whats available at my dealer. The model year, however, is besides the point. Among lubricating the bearings and a multitude of other things that I want to do to it right off the bat, one of them is going to be installing a new exhaust system. The purpose of doing so is to make it louder, plain and simple. Extra power is always nice, but that is not as important considering the new Yamaha's capabilities already. I will be purchasing a full exhaust system though. I've been racing a 2007 YZ250F with a full FMF exhaust system for 5 years now. I'm an old school kind of guy, but it's time to move on. My bike can't take it anymore. I cannot, however, get used to the sound of the stock exhaust system on new bikes. I test rode a buddy of mine's 2014 for a full day and it is simply too quiet. I could write another three paragraphs on why it is that I can't race a bike that is this quiet, but I'm not going to waste any more of your time and I ask that you don't waste mine with your opinions on noise.

I've always thought that Akrapovic looked pretty sexy on Yamaha's. What's your favorite brand of exhaust, and why? What do you suggest?

Oh, and will I need to buy a power tuner for the ECU if all I want to do is add exhaust?
Ummm... almost all the name brand aftermarket exhausts will actually make the bikes quieter, especially the Akrapovic. (with the the usual inserts installed, some can be removed however)
ML512
Fantasy
54th
8/9/2014 7:11pm
On the note of performance, The Yoshimura and the Akarpovic are both great performers. The Akrapovic is going to be quite pricey however, the full stainless Yosh system is easier on the wallet.
DownSouth
8/9/2014 7:12pm
If all you want is loud just unbolt the muffler and throw it in the nearest dumpster. She will be super loud with just the head pipe. HuhBlink
The Rock
8/9/2014 7:28pm
Additional benefit of removing muffler is considerable weight savings plus no repacking. Win win!

The Shop

ML512
Fantasy
54th
8/9/2014 7:30pm
The Rock wrote:
Additional benefit of removing muffler is considerable weight savings plus no repacking. Win win!
Laughing That made my day...
AKmotorider
8/9/2014 7:35pm
DownSouth wrote:
If all you want is loud just unbolt the muffler and throw it in the nearest dumpster. She will be super loud with just the head...
If all you want is loud just unbolt the muffler and throw it in the nearest dumpster. She will be super loud with just the head pipe. HuhBlink
Funny guys here. Too bad the lack of back pressure from no muffler will likely screw with the valves and alter the engine timing at some point, and then grenade my brand new engine. If only..
MOTODAD422
8/9/2014 7:39pm
Just cut off the silencer core and put the end cap back on. Plain and Simple. Then when someone else hears it, they will think you are a pro rider with a special muffler. Raspy exhaust notes are the bomb.
AKmotorider
8/9/2014 7:40pm
ML512 wrote:
Ummm... almost all the name brand aftermarket exhausts will actually make the bikes quieter, especially the Akrapovic. (with the the usual inserts installed, some can be...
Ummm... almost all the name brand aftermarket exhausts will actually make the bikes quieter, especially the Akrapovic. (with the the usual inserts installed, some can be removed however)
I wish I could quote multiple posts!

Anyways, wow, I actually didn't know that. I've had this exhaust system on my bike the entire time I've owned it, so I've never heard it stock. I think what I'm really getting at is the quality of the sound as well. If I just removed the silencer it would be loud, but an aftermarket system almost always sounds better in that department. I've heard the difference on quite a number of machines switching from stock exhaust without an insert or silencer to an aftermarket system also without an insert, and the aftermarket ones really blow the stock out of the water.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
8/9/2014 8:40pm
ML512 wrote:
Ummm... almost all the name brand aftermarket exhausts will actually make the bikes quieter, especially the Akrapovic. (with the the usual inserts installed, some can be...
I wish I could quote multiple posts! Anyways, wow, I actually didn't know that. I've had this exhaust system on my bike the entire time I've...
I wish I could quote multiple posts!

Anyways, wow, I actually didn't know that. I've had this exhaust system on my bike the entire time I've owned it, so I've never heard it stock. I think what I'm really getting at is the quality of the sound as well. If I just removed the silencer it would be loud, but an aftermarket system almost always sounds better in that department. I've heard the difference on quite a number of machines switching from stock exhaust without an insert or silencer to an aftermarket system also without an insert, and the aftermarket ones really blow the stock out of the water.
The name brand systems have changed quite a bit the last few years to pass sound requirements. Pro Circuit does offer two different systems, one is AMA pro legal, and the other isn't. The one that isn't is of course louder.
The Rock
8/9/2014 9:52pm
The Rock wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Laughing That made my day...
Just trying to be of service. Smile

AKmotorider-During the time you've had your FMF system did you ever repack your muffler? If you didn't you left almost two horsepower on the table.

Good for you that you like louder bikes and I guess in Alaska you aren't concerned with annoying anyone. I would look at the 2014 pipe reviews and see which systems fit your type of riding and apply that towards your 2015 purchase. One way to make it louder (but lose mid range) would be to open the muffler and take a third of the packing out. With having that big of a void in the can it won't be long until the rest goes away.
bvm111
8/9/2014 9:55pm
Are you trying to scare the bears and moose away with the loud exhaust?

Just run it stock... What's the point of dropping the coin on an exhaust if you are only going after sound, not performance?

I don't get it?
tmauto769
Fantasy
1001st
8/10/2014 5:22am
ML512 wrote:
I get what your saying, but the exception to this is the crf's namely '11-'14, any aftermarket system will be louder than the stock cans from those years. I have a '12 450 with an FMF (with the insert in it) and it is still louder than the stock system. I had a hard time hearing my bike running with the stock exhaust doing some little AX type indoor races in the winter time. Not to mention, I think a 125 would pull my bike down a straight with the stock exhaust, it was pathetic. If I owned a newer Kawi I would replace the stock exhaust just to quiet it down, those bikes are obnoxiously loud.
wow123
8/10/2014 7:11am
some very funny posts, but then, what an easy targetEvil

just wonder how often you notice the "quality" of the sound of your bike when you're riding it?Blink

I can just imagine going down a straight and thinking 'damm my bike sounds shit to everybody' Laughing

maybe when I was 16Blush

hahahaTongueLaughingWoohoo
ML512
Fantasy
54th
8/10/2014 7:23am
tmauto769 wrote:
I get what your saying, but the exception to this is the crf's namely '11-'14, any aftermarket system will be louder than the stock cans from...
I get what your saying, but the exception to this is the crf's namely '11-'14, any aftermarket system will be louder than the stock cans from those years. I have a '12 450 with an FMF (with the insert in it) and it is still louder than the stock system. I had a hard time hearing my bike running with the stock exhaust doing some little AX type indoor races in the winter time. Not to mention, I think a 125 would pull my bike down a straight with the stock exhaust, it was pathetic. If I owned a newer Kawi I would replace the stock exhaust just to quiet it down, those bikes are obnoxiously loud.
Not any, considering that stock exhaust won't pass AMA's sound limits and there are kids riding Supercross on aftermarket off-the-shelf cans.

You're right though on the Honda being fairly quiet stock.
nc_mx_kid
8/10/2014 11:19am
I've ran FMF for most of my years, I like the fact that they are a USA company that uses vendors and materials within the USA unlike other exhaust companies.

Plus FMF has great customer service in my experience and have a support truck at many events throughout the year. One time Kyle Dangler repaired and new packing on my pipe at a race between motos.

FMF
rcannon
8/10/2014 1:57pm Edited Date/Time 8/10/2014 1:59pm
Make sure your looking at this the correct way. You WANT zero back pressure. You can search the internet and find thousands of pages explaining why. The two strokes worked a little differently, but you'll be able to read about that.

One of the magazines tested a bunch of systems for the 14. The charts they showed made it pretty obvious that Yamaha had a great stock system. For sure i woudl wait to replace that specific one until it was needed. Heres what i saw...

http://www.mxa-digital.com/motocrossaction/july_2014?pg=90#pg90

I think there might be someone who coudl feel the difference, but its sure a lot of money for a maximum gain of .73 hp

tunedlength
8/10/2014 2:14pm
nc_mx_kid wrote:
I've ran FMF for most of my years, I like the fact that they are a USA company that uses vendors and materials within the USA...
I've ran FMF for most of my years, I like the fact that they are a USA company that uses vendors and materials within the USA unlike other exhaust companies.

Plus FMF has great customer service in my experience and have a support truck at many events throughout the year. One time Kyle Dangler repaired and new packing on my pipe at a race between motos.

FMF
And the pipe seems to be working well on the 377 bike.
KazFu
8/10/2014 2:47pm
Which Exhaust companies besides Akra are made outside of the U.S. ?
dean122
8/10/2014 2:59pm
There's no one specfic exhaust company that aims to give you louder sound, in fact they're trying to do the opposite with all the sound regulations.

With that said, I've run a few different exhausts (MRD, DR.D, PC, FMF) between KXFs and CRFs and have found that an FMF Factory 4.1 with Powerbomb header give the most grunty sound to get the juices flowing. Just pull all the dbl/spark arrestor inserts and it'll be loud enough.
The Rock
8/10/2014 5:13pm
nc_mx_kid wrote:
I've ran FMF for most of my years, I like the fact that they are a USA company that uses vendors and materials within the USA...

FMF
Is Kyle Dick's brother?
8/10/2014 6:23pm
nc_mx_kid wrote:

FMF
The Rock wrote:
Is Kyle Dick's brother?
Yeah that's him. He's a good dude.
tmauto769
Fantasy
1001st
8/10/2014 7:15pm Edited Date/Time 8/10/2014 7:17pm
tmauto769 wrote:
I get what your saying, but the exception to this is the crf's namely '11-'14, any aftermarket system will be louder than the stock cans from...
ML512 wrote:
Not any, considering that stock exhaust won't pass AMA's sound limits and there are kids riding Supercross on aftermarket off-the-shelf cans. You're right though on the...
Not any, considering that stock exhaust won't pass AMA's sound limits and there are kids riding Supercross on aftermarket off-the-shelf cans.

You're right though on the Honda being fairly quiet stock.
Seriously? the crf stock exhaust won't pass the AMA sound limits? wow, it sounded like a sewing machine to me

Post a reply to: 2015 Yamaha YZ250F aftermarket exhaust systems

The Latest